Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 36601 times)

Offline stillbrewing

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/5/19
  • Likes Given: 1076
Re: Introduction
« Reply #231 on: May 11, 2021, 08:21:29 AM »
Five years.  I have been kicking nicotine's ass for five years.  Every single day since I first logged on to this site, I have posted my promise and kept it.  I have wanted to throw in the towel, wanted to give up, wanted to leave the site and wanted to skip roll for a day, just to set the precedent, but I never have.  Every single day, no matter where I am, what is happening in my life or how easy or hard being quit feels, I make that post and keep my word.  That's how this site works.  If you do that, you can't possibly fail.  It's so simple that it blows my mind that we ever lose anybody.

It's been several years since I've posted in my Intro.  My time spent on this site is pretty much limited to Roll posts in August and October 16.  It's not that I don't care about the rest of you, it's that the burnout I experienced a few years ago almost made me leave the site and now I've got a much better balance.  When I hit five years, I did stroll down memory lane and read through some of my early quit, which inspired me to post an update here.  I hope by posting, I can help provide some long term clarity to some new or aspiring quitters.

One thing you'll see time and time again on this site is "Don't worry about tomorrow, focus on today."  It's absolutely true.  100%.  If you get caught up in the magnitude of quitting, it will seem impossible.  Keep your focus on getting through every moment and those moments will eventually piece together a successful and final quit.  However, from the five year mark, I do want to make it clear that it will eventually get easier.  There will come a time where you don't have to battle every single day.  Your addiction will always be a part of you, we are never "cured," but there will be a time when that addiction no longer has any power over you.  It will take time, it will take work, it won't be easy, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  It is achievable and it is absolutely 100% worth it. 

If you read through this intro, you'll see that I was not exactly in a great place a few years ago.  My quit was strong, but some of the ways that I chose to help cope were not healthy or sustainable.  I let myself get into really poor physical condition and I was engaging in some risky behavior with alcohol.  Looking back, I believe that my addictive tendencies contributed to that behavior.  I felt at the time that I was "over" nicotine, but even then, it still had a pretty strong hold on me.  I am happy to report that I was able to climb out of that hole, make better choices and change that behavior before it caused real problems in my life. 

Since I last posted here, I've had several significant life changes.  We welcomed a baby girl into the family (our first) and parenthood has been the greatest experience of my life.  I took control of my relationship with food and alcohol and made physical fitness a priority.  I'm now in some of the best physical shape I've ever been in and I believe that's also been a big benefit to my mental health as well.  I have been working for several years as a part-time firefighter and last year I made the jump to career.  With a newborn at home and still running my store, I went through a hellacious recruit school and then had to adjust to a full time 24/48 schedule.  I'm now going through the process of closing my business, which has been bittersweet.  I hate that it's going away, but am really looking forward to getting that time back to spend with my family.

I say all that to illustrate how important it is to remain strong in your quit.  Significant life change is inherently stressful.  At this point in my life, I have no connection to nicotine.  I am around users all the time and I have zero desire to cave.  I do feel like I could remain quit without this site.  However, I have no desire to prove that out.  Roll is a basic safety net.  All it takes is one moment of weakness or stupidity to be back to day zero.  Roll takes that possibility away. 

I also feel like I owe it to this site and the people who have helped me along the way to continue posting.  I honestly believe I would not have my job, my family or anything that matters to me if I had not quit.  If I had refused or been unable to quit, I believe it would have cost me my marriage, which would have sent me spiraling and crashed everything down around me.  I don't know where I would be, but I do know it would be a dark place.  I can say without any hyperbole, that I owe my life to this site and the people here.  A daily roll post is not too much to ask in return.

To close, I want to reiterate to those that are still struggling that the fight can be won and it is worth the cost.  Life doesn't magically become perfect, but you can start living it again on your own terms.  You can take control and you can put this behind you.  Post roll.  Keep your word.  Do it today and then do it again tomorrow.
Nicely said and Congrats on 5 years!
Congrats on them 5 years of quit badassery! Thanx for posting this, it all seems so familiar and similar to so many of our experiences. Its good to see it written down, and makes it all easier to contemplate. Thanx again!
Congratulations P!
5 years free is amazing.
A great accomplishment. And some wisdom in your words. 'lift' 'chew2'
What a great post!  I love reading how your life is so exponentially better now... what a journey! ... and it all started with one great decision, it all started with the decision to take one step forward.   Congratulations on that fifth lap, Conductor Pea, and THANK YOU for being such an important influence on my quit.
Thank you sir as you are a vet that will inspire not only newbies but a 4th floor guy like me. I understand the burn out and feeling like walking away but this is my digital support group. This is where I have found answers to issues. This is where my family has grown to where I text across the country daily. This is where I found the guy that will send me text and say “was just thinking about you, how ya doing?” Thank you to all the vets and thank you to KTC. Without them we would have nothing and we would be in that same rut that I was in for 30 plus years. I can’t say it enough, THANK YOU!!!
Proud as hell to be quit with you.  1813 days of quitting side by side.
Awesome.  Thank you and congrats on 5 years!
"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes all worth living.  So, love the life you live, live the life you love." - Bob Marley

“La tristesse durera toujours." ~ Vincent van Gogh

"You can fuck off all the way to fuckoff mountain and jump off FUCKOFF point for all i care. Just post and stay quit." ~MikeW2018~

HOF-3/13/20; 2nd floor-6/21/20; 3rd floor-9/29/20; 1 year-12/3/20; 4th floor-1/7/21; 5th floor-4/17/21; 6th floor-7/26/21

HOF Speech Here

Offline FISHFLORIDA

• AUG 16' Traumatizer
  • Administrator
  • Quitting MoFo
  • The Adventures of Florida Man
  • Quit Date: 5/24/16
  • Interests: Saltwater Flyfishing
  • Likes Given: 1528
« Reply #230 on: May 10, 2021, 09:14:27 PM »
Five years.  I have been kicking nicotine's ass for five years.  Every single day since I first logged on to this site, I have posted my promise and kept it.  I have wanted to throw in the towel, wanted to give up, wanted to leave the site and wanted to skip roll for a day, just to set the precedent, but I never have.  Every single day, no matter where I am, what is happening in my life or how easy or hard being quit feels, I make that post and keep my word.  That's how this site works.  If you do that, you can't possibly fail.  It's so simple that it blows my mind that we ever lose anybody.

It's been several years since I've posted in my Intro.  My time spent on this site is pretty much limited to Roll posts in August and October 16.  It's not that I don't care about the rest of you, it's that the burnout I experienced a few years ago almost made me leave the site and now I've got a much better balance.  When I hit five years, I did stroll down memory lane and read through some of my early quit, which inspired me to post an update here.  I hope by posting, I can help provide some long term clarity to some new or aspiring quitters.

One thing you'll see time and time again on this site is "Don't worry about tomorrow, focus on today."  It's absolutely true.  100%.  If you get caught up in the magnitude of quitting, it will seem impossible.  Keep your focus on getting through every moment and those moments will eventually piece together a successful and final quit.  However, from the five year mark, I do want to make it clear that it will eventually get easier.  There will come a time where you don't have to battle every single day.  Your addiction will always be a part of you, we are never "cured," but there will be a time when that addiction no longer has any power over you.  It will take time, it will take work, it won't be easy, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  It is achievable and it is absolutely 100% worth it. 

If you read through this intro, you'll see that I was not exactly in a great place a few years ago.  My quit was strong, but some of the ways that I chose to help cope were not healthy or sustainable.  I let myself get into really poor physical condition and I was engaging in some risky behavior with alcohol.  Looking back, I believe that my addictive tendencies contributed to that behavior.  I felt at the time that I was "over" nicotine, but even then, it still had a pretty strong hold on me.  I am happy to report that I was able to climb out of that hole, make better choices and change that behavior before it caused real problems in my life. 

Since I last posted here, I've had several significant life changes.  We welcomed a baby girl into the family (our first) and parenthood has been the greatest experience of my life.  I took control of my relationship with food and alcohol and made physical fitness a priority.  I'm now in some of the best physical shape I've ever been in and I believe that's also been a big benefit to my mental health as well.  I have been working for several years as a part-time firefighter and last year I made the jump to career.  With a newborn at home and still running my store, I went through a hellacious recruit school and then had to adjust to a full time 24/48 schedule.  I'm now going through the process of closing my business, which has been bittersweet.  I hate that it's going away, but am really looking forward to getting that time back to spend with my family.

I say all that to illustrate how important it is to remain strong in your quit.  Significant life change is inherently stressful.  At this point in my life, I have no connection to nicotine.  I am around users all the time and I have zero desire to cave.  I do feel like I could remain quit without this site.  However, I have no desire to prove that out.  Roll is a basic safety net.  All it takes is one moment of weakness or stupidity to be back to day zero.  Roll takes that possibility away. 

I also feel like I owe it to this site and the people who have helped me along the way to continue posting.  I honestly believe I would not have my job, my family or anything that matters to me if I had not quit.  If I had refused or been unable to quit, I believe it would have cost me my marriage, which would have sent me spiraling and crashed everything down around me.  I don't know where I would be, but I do know it would be a dark place.  I can say without any hyperbole, that I owe my life to this site and the people here.  A daily roll post is not too much to ask in return.

To close, I want to reiterate to those that are still struggling that the fight can be won and it is worth the cost.  Life doesn't magically become perfect, but you can start living it again on your own terms.  You can take control and you can put this behind you.  Post roll.  Keep your word.  Do it today and then do it again tomorrow.
Congrats on them 5 years of quit badassery! Thanx for posting this, it all seems so familiar and similar to so many of our experiences. Its good to see it written down, and makes it all easier to contemplate. Thanx again!
Congratulations P!
5 years free is amazing.
What a great post!  I love reading how your life is so exponentially better now... what a journey! ... and it all started with one great decision, it all started with the decision to take one step forward.   Congratulations on that fifth lap, Conductor Pea, and THANK YOU for being such an important influence on my quit.
Thank you sir as you are a vet that will inspire not only newbies but a 4th floor guy like me. I understand the burn out and feeling like walking away but this is my digital support group. This is where I have found answers to issues. This is where my family has grown to where I text across the country daily. This is where I found the guy that will send me text and say “was just thinking about you, how ya doing?” Thank you to all the vets and thank you to KTC. Without them we would have nothing and we would be in that same rut that I was in for 30 plus years. I can’t say it enough, THANK YOU!!!
Proud as hell to be quit with you.  1813 days of quitting side by side. 
Just one is right back to where you were and where you were was desperately wishing you were where you are now.- Via Flip
"But KNOW that quitting every day means that eventually you'll have to quit on the day Lassie kicks the bucket" - ZAM
My Intro
My HOF Speech

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2021, 02:26:34 PM »

Congratulations P!
5 years free is amazing.

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2021, 09:19:57 AM »

Congratulations P!
5 years free is amazing.
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2035
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2021, 01:18:54 AM »

Congratulations P!
5 years free is amazing.
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2021, 06:03:17 PM »

ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Natro

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: October 20, 2014
  • Interests: Quitting, cooking, reading, travelling, meeting other quitters.
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »

Proud January 2015 "Shell"er
He who controls the spice controls the universe.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2021, 11:04:25 AM »

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Just freaking post roll, OK?
  • Quit Date: 10 Jan 2017
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
  • Likes Given: 1561
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2018, 11:23:00 AM »
Congratulations on two years, sir. Thank you for your example and your support!
"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
Quote from: pky1520
Two years ago I made the decision to quit nicotine for good. This site and the people who post here have made those two years a reality. I canÂ’t imagine what my life would look like if I hadnÂ’t quit when I did.

Freedom is attainable, it is worth it. ItÂ’s hard, but it gets easier. If youÂ’re reading this now and arenÂ’t sure if this site is for you or if you have what it takes, it is and you do. Post your Day One and get to work.
Attaboy PKY! Congratulations on the 2 laps!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »
Two years ago I made the decision to quit nicotine for good. This site and the people who post here have made those two years a reality. I canÂ’t imagine what my life would look like if I hadnÂ’t quit when I did.

Freedom is attainable, it is worth it. ItÂ’s hard, but it gets easier. If youÂ’re reading this now and arenÂ’t sure if this site is for you or if you have what it takes, it is and you do. Post your Day One and get to work.

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2018, 08:07:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
Congrats on 700 pky!!!
'party2' 'worship'

Congrats on a other great milestone. And thanks for all you do here at KTC and especially for what you still do for the Dumpster Fire. Best Conductor evahhh!
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2035
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »
Congrats on 700 pky!!!
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #218 on: December 22, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
Hitting the 6th floor today. 600 days seemed impossibly large when I Quit, but here it is. The only way to do it is one day at a time, every damn day. Since finding KTC I haven't missed a single day of Roll. I think I haven't posted later than 10am more than once. It's not because I have no life and nothing else pulling on my time, it's because I value my Quit and I value the process here. This system has 100% worked for me and I will continue to work it.

There are times when posting Roll can be inconvenient and I just don't feel like it. I have thoughts of "Ugh, do I really need to keep doing this?" I have many days that start around 4am and it would be really easy to put Roll off till the afternoon, or to even miss altogether. But I don't do that. I set my alarm 15 minutes earlier and make sure my ass is firmly on the line for the next 24 hours. I'm not special, anyone can do that. Just make it a priority.

Quitting is no longer that hard. I can't remember the last time I had a real nicotine crave. I can be around tobacco users without any serious temptation. I can handle stress, anger, fun, boredom, pooping and all the other emotions that I used to associate with Dip, without any desire to go buy a can. In fact, the hardest part of the Quit now, seems to be remembering just how God-awful desperate and miserable I was during the early days. KTC keeps me honest to that fact. If I didn't have that daily accountability, it would be just too damn easy to romanticize the "old days."

I have not been super active with new Quitters in the past few months. Things are going good in life and I've been stretched pretty thin time wise. It's also difficult to maintain the emotional rawness of new Quit. I would like to start giving back again, but will have to be fairly selective in how I spend my time.

The message that I'd like to pass along to new or aspiring Quitters is that you will reach a new normal. Make your promise, keep it, do it again tomorrow. Follow that process enough times and you can have a new life, a life wherein some plastic can doesn't influence every decision you make.

Offline jeffw

• Quitter
  • Interests: Fly Fishing, golf, hanging with the family, university of washington football
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »
congrats on 500 days