Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 35892 times)

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Introduction
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Today has been miserable. Really in a daze. It feels like I haven't slept in two days. I'm trying to do anything that I can to keep my mind off of dip, and my fucking brain keeps being like "great work, you should celebrate with a dip!"

Reading some of the stories on this site has been helpful. I'm telling myself that every craving that I don't cave into will help my body figure out how to manage without nicotine, so this period is actually a good thing. But still, my knuckles are white.

I'm going to go fishing after work this evening. A week ago, I'd have rather left behind my rod than my cope, but I'm going at this thing head on. If I can avoid it in a situation where I'd absolutely have had it, I think it'll make regular cravings more manageable.

Do people find the fake stuff helpful? I haven't tried it before, but feel like it could be more aggravating than anything - like someone trying to hand you a veggie burger at a bbq.
FROM HIGHTON
I'll be playing in my regular poker game this weekend and I'm looking forward to facing it head on. There will be 8 guys there dipping, but I'm not too worried.

I use the fake. I feel it really helps me. At times when I would normally reach for the Cope, I am still reaching for something. I stopped dipping for 9 months a few years back and the fake got me through the first few months. After that I just quit buying it.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »

Today has been miserable. Really in a daze. It feels like I haven't slept in two days. I'm trying to do anything that I can to keep my mind off of dip, and my fucking brain keeps being like "great work, you should celebrate with a dip!"

Reading some of the stories on this site has been helpful. I'm telling myself that every craving that I don't cave into will help my body figure out how to manage without nicotine, so this period is actually a good thing. But still, my knuckles are white.

I'm going to go fishing after work this evening. A week ago, I'd have rather left behind my rod than my cope, but I'm going at this thing head on. If I can avoid it in a situation where I'd absolutely have had it, I think it'll make regular cravings more manageable.

Do people find the fake stuff helpful? I haven't tried it before, but feel like it could be more aggravating than anything - like someone trying to hand you a veggie burger at a bbq.
FROM BASEBALL BRETT:
I've done coffee chew. Didn't really do it for me. I bought a huge bag of sunflower seeds. Those at least keep me occupied and take my mind off things. Drink a shitload of water too.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 04:46:49 PM »
FROM BASEBALL BRETT:
Welcolme pky, and congrats on your decision to quit the poison. I recently decided to quit too, and I am in the August group as well. I have found that posting roll every damn day helps me stay accountable. Just reading what the vets have written and posting roll will help keep you on track. If you need some digits, just PM me. Embrace the suck - we're in it together.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:46:24 PM »
***Note this Intro started on 5/6/16 and moved to new forum in 2018.  Going to do my best with the format, but apologies in advance for any issues.***

Greetings,

This is my first time posting to this board, although I became aware of the site several years ago, during a failed quit attempt. I'm 29 and started dipping about 11 years ago. I've been at 1-1.5 cans/ day for probably 5 years. Copenhagen Long Cut. Seeing that in black & white honestly makes me sick.

I started during my freshman year in college. I was pledging a fraternity and pledges actually weren't allowed to dip/ smoke, although we had to carry it around at all times in case a brother wanted some. It started as a subtle way of rebelling against the rules. I continued because I liked it and because I thought it made me look cool/ tough/ whatever. It was an SEC school and half the guys I knew dipped. I'd quit when I graduated.

Well, I didn't quit when I graduated. I lived with a couple of friends from school and we all chewed. I liked to fish and hunt, and I certainly wasn't gonna quit during duck season. It was no big deal, we were 22, I'd quit when I hit 25.

Well, I didn't quit when I was 25. I had my own place and a good job, there was no harm in having a little relaxing vice after work (or hunting, or fishing, or driving, or mowing the lawn, or watching TV). I'd quit when I got engaged.

Well, I didn't quit when I got engaged. We moved in together and although she kinda knew that this was something I did when I was fishing/ hunting/ with my guy friends, she didn't really know how addicted I was (am).

I keep thinking that I'll quit when I get married, but looking at my track record, I know it's horseshit. I need to quit NOW, for me, for her and for the family I want to have. I've tried this half assed before, but I've never committed anything to paper and demanded accountability from myself.

My last dip was on Monday (May 2). I've felt nauseous, foggy, panicked, irritable and frankly weak. I got in my truck today and almost went to the shell station, but instead I got out and came to this site. I'm not quitting sometime in the future and I'm not doing it half assed this time. I quit on May 2 and that is it.

Thanks for the support - I know I'm going to need it.
FROM IDAHO SPUDS: PKy,
Congratulations on your decision and welcome.
Your quit group is August 2016
Post roll everyday, this is the backbone of the site.
Idaho Spuds

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
Introduction
« on: September 27, 2018, 04:42:51 PM »
***Note this Intro started on 5/6/16 and moved to new forum in 2018.  Going to do my best with the format, but apologies in advance for any issues.***

Greetings,

This is my first time posting to this board, although I became aware of the site several years ago, during a failed quit attempt. I'm 29 and started dipping about 11 years ago. I've been at 1-1.5 cans/ day for probably 5 years. Copenhagen Long Cut. Seeing that in black & white honestly makes me sick.

I started during my freshman year in college. I was pledging a fraternity and pledges actually weren't allowed to dip/ smoke, although we had to carry it around at all times in case a brother wanted some. It started as a subtle way of rebelling against the rules. I continued because I liked it and because I thought it made me look cool/ tough/ whatever. It was an SEC school and half the guys I knew dipped. I'd quit when I graduated.

Well, I didn't quit when I graduated. I lived with a couple of friends from school and we all chewed. I liked to fish and hunt, and I certainly wasn't gonna quit during duck season. It was no big deal, we were 22, I'd quit when I hit 25.

Well, I didn't quit when I was 25. I had my own place and a good job, there was no harm in having a little relaxing vice after work (or hunting, or fishing, or driving, or mowing the lawn, or watching TV). I'd quit when I got engaged.

Well, I didn't quit when I got engaged. We moved in together and although she kinda knew that this was something I did when I was fishing/ hunting/ with my guy friends, she didn't really know how addicted I was (am).

I keep thinking that I'll quit when I get married, but looking at my track record, I know it's horseshit. I need to quit NOW, for me, for her and for the family I want to have. I've tried this half assed before, but I've never committed anything to paper and demanded accountability from myself.

My last dip was on Monday (May 2). I've felt nauseous, foggy, panicked, irritable and frankly weak. I got in my truck today and almost went to the shell station, but instead I got out and came to this site. I'm not quitting sometime in the future and I'm not doing it half assed this time. I quit on May 2 and that is it.

Thanks for the support - I know I'm going to need it.