Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 37417 times)

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
Re: Introduction
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2018, 05:28:14 PM »
CHICKDIP:
Pky!
Congrats on your 200 days, cheers to 201 and beyond.
MIKE1966:
Congrats on 200 days of Quit Bro! You're a perfect example of how to Quit the KTC way. You're knee deep in accountability, here everyday bright and early supporting others as well. KTC just wouldn't be the same without you man! Proud to quit with you every day PKY!

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2018, 05:27:53 PM »
CHICKDIP:
Pky!
Congrats on your 200 days, cheers to 201 and beyond.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
Feel a little guilty posting in my own intro when I'm behind several pages, but have another log post I want to get out there. This is coming at 1am because I got back from the honeymoon and my sleep schedule is completely effed.

I haven't been on much in the past two weeks, but I have been on roll every damn day, as soon as I woke up because that's just what I do. It's not a hassle, it's not a chore, it's a tool to help me stay quit and it's a measure of respect for those who have helped me thus far. Even if I could get by just fine without my name on roll for a day, it would be unfair to the people who care about me and will go out of their way to check in on me. As I get back into a normal life schedule, I'll be back to normal with KTC too.

My wedding had long been one of those "future quit dates." Just like college graduation, every birthday, the end of every duck season, every relocation, etc. Thankfully, I made the decision to quit before the wedding. I got to experience everything free from my addiction. I got to enjoy every moment and not worry about if I'd get a chance to sneak in a dip at some point. I got to enjoy the honeymoon without going through a foggy, miserable withdrawal.

I thank God that he put that decision to me before I would have planned it. Hypothetically, here's what it would have looked like if I had followed through on the wedding quit.

I would have had stained teeth in my wedding photos because I'd be chewing like a madman day of as a "last hurrah." I'd probably have been ok during the reception that night, but would be losing my mind seeing the guys smoking cigars at the after party. Severe withdrawal would set in right about the time we had to take the 12 hour flight to Hawaii. I would be a total ass to the wife and others around me.

On day 1 of the honeymoon, I'd be at day 3 of the quit. I'd probably still be holding up - I've gone this long before. I would be quitting for her and the wedding adrenaline would keep me from breaking down and buying a tin. Then I would realize that my amazing wife doesn't mind me sneaking away for an hour or two to go fishing. I wouldn't buy a can the first time she let me go - dagummit, I'm quitting for her! Maybe I wouldn't buy a can the second time either. But by day 3 of the honeymoon and day 6 of the "quit" I'd take off to go fishing for a few hours and buy a can. I'd stuff my face for three solid hours (even though I told her two) and I'd burn through that whole can. I'd then do that every single day, even though she can tell I'm abusing her generous fishing policy.

On the return flight, I'd be a complete asshole. Rather than let it slide, maybe I have words with that guy who I thought was rude to the flight attendant. Maybe I say something sarcastic to the wife and burn though all the romantic good-time feelings built up over the honeymoon and we return pissed off at each other. Regardless, all I can think about is buying that first can as soon as I get home. Oh but don't worry, I'd still be "trying to quit," this can is just for when I really need it. I mean, I'd have it totally under control, I just went like a week and only dipped a few times, so I can definitely quit this time.

Thankfully that reality didn't come to pass. I'm sure some of you might recognize that kind of pattern, I've done it dozens of times. Never again. I truly believe that God put that decision in front of me and then led me to this site. He won't do the work for me, but he did show me the way.
WORKTOWIN:
Congratulations man! youbshould feel really proud of this achievement. You are starting your new life with your wife without a big bag of guilt and regret on your back. Well done!
CAVMAN83:
Awesome job, brother. Wish that I had had your determination when I was your age.... You rock!
PAB1964:
Great job my friend! Keep it going!
Damn proud to be quit with you!
WORKTOWIN:
I ran out in Kauai one time. I drove to 7 gas stations frantically looking for kodiak. I finally paid $15 each for 3 cans of skoal. And I hid all of this nonsense from my wife.

You are a lot smarter than me, dude. Welcome back and congratulations!

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2018, 05:27:02 PM »
Feel a little guilty posting in my own intro when I'm behind several pages, but have another log post I want to get out there. This is coming at 1am because I got back from the honeymoon and my sleep schedule is completely effed.

I haven't been on much in the past two weeks, but I have been on roll every damn day, as soon as I woke up because that's just what I do. It's not a hassle, it's not a chore, it's a tool to help me stay quit and it's a measure of respect for those who have helped me thus far. Even if I could get by just fine without my name on roll for a day, it would be unfair to the people who care about me and will go out of their way to check in on me. As I get back into a normal life schedule, I'll be back to normal with KTC too.

My wedding had long been one of those "future quit dates." Just like college graduation, every birthday, the end of every duck season, every relocation, etc. Thankfully, I made the decision to quit before the wedding. I got to experience everything free from my addiction. I got to enjoy every moment and not worry about if I'd get a chance to sneak in a dip at some point. I got to enjoy the honeymoon without going through a foggy, miserable withdrawal.

I thank God that he put that decision to me before I would have planned it. Hypothetically, here's what it would have looked like if I had followed through on the wedding quit.

I would have had stained teeth in my wedding photos because I'd be chewing like a madman day of as a "last hurrah." I'd probably have been ok during the reception that night, but would be losing my mind seeing the guys smoking cigars at the after party. Severe withdrawal would set in right about the time we had to take the 12 hour flight to Hawaii. I would be a total ass to the wife and others around me.

On day 1 of the honeymoon, I'd be at day 3 of the quit. I'd probably still be holding up - I've gone this long before. I would be quitting for her and the wedding adrenaline would keep me from breaking down and buying a tin. Then I would realize that my amazing wife doesn't mind me sneaking away for an hour or two to go fishing. I wouldn't buy a can the first time she let me go - dagummit, I'm quitting for her! Maybe I wouldn't buy a can the second time either. But by day 3 of the honeymoon and day 6 of the "quit" I'd take off to go fishing for a few hours and buy a can. I'd stuff my face for three solid hours (even though I told her two) and I'd burn through that whole can. I'd then do that every single day, even though she can tell I'm abusing her generous fishing policy.

On the return flight, I'd be a complete asshole. Rather than let it slide, maybe I have words with that guy who I thought was rude to the flight attendant. Maybe I say something sarcastic to the wife and burn though all the romantic good-time feelings built up over the honeymoon and we return pissed off at each other. Regardless, all I can think about is buying that first can as soon as I get home. Oh but don't worry, I'd still be "trying to quit," this can is just for when I really need it. I mean, I'd have it totally under control, I just went like a week and only dipped a few times, so I can definitely quit this time.

Thankfully that reality didn't come to pass. I'm sure some of you might recognize that kind of pattern, I've done it dozens of times. Never again. I truly believe that God put that decision in front of me and then led me to this site. He won't do the work for me, but he did show me the way.
WORKTOWIN:
Congratulations man! youbshould feel really proud of this achievement. You are starting your new life with your wife without a big bag of guilt and regret on your back. Well done!
CAVMAN83:
Awesome job, brother. Wish that I had had your determination when I was your age.... You rock!
PAB1964:
Great job my friend! Keep it going!
Damn proud to be quit with you!

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
FISHFLORIDA:
Well Pea,
The train has almost come full circle. I don't think my brain can take anymore. I had a blast being the Oct Conductor with you and wouldn't have changed it for the world. I'm proud to say I'm quit with you and that you are one sick SOB, which, as you can tell, works out great with me. I'm typing this on your intro page and not a PM so everyone knows how much fun this actually was. The HOF added another 2 hours onto every day and it was well worth it. The October 2016 Cocktobers are a great group of sickos and BAQs.
Tight Lines
Oily Hair
Gin Clear Water
-FF

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »

WORKTOWIN:
CAVMAN83:

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »

WORKTOWIN:

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2018, 05:25:01 PM »

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2018, 05:24:20 PM »
Big day today! The fiancée is turning into the wife.

I get to do this free from my addiction. It's still there but it no longer controls me. I won't be standing at the alter wondering if I'll get a free minute tonight to throw in a quick one. I won't sneak away at the reception because I'm having "stomach trouble." I won't stand outside smoking cigar after cigar because it's the only way to get my fix.

I owe that to all of you. KTC and your support has given me the tools to stay clean and free. I get to enter my marriage without lying and hiding a shameful destructive addiction that will eventually take away everything. I don't have to put my wife through the pain of losing me to a disease I created.

Thank you all. Thank you to my brothers in August. Thank you to the vets who reach out for support. Thank you to the folks I know and to the ones that I don't yet know. Thank you to the foggy-ass newbs for showing me everyday that I never want to start this struggle again. Thank you to the mods and admins who started this thing and keep the lights on. You made this possible for me and I can't thank you enough.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Just posted this in one of the new groups. My perspective on the three questions. This is just my take, there are definitely other valid reasons and some valid objections. Take what you need and leave the rest.

There are a few practical reasons for the questions.

1) To get the caver thinking about what happened. The tools to stay quit are here at KTC and the point of this site is to help us get truly quit, not just stop for a while. Cavers need to face the reason for why they failed. Understanding that failure in depth and in detail will help them to build a plan for success going forward.

2) To help the caver build that plan. Answering those questions to the public forum allows others the chance to identify potential pitfalls and help cavers develop tools that will keep them quit for the long haul. Admittedly, the public forum leads to some tough language and name calling, but the end goal is to put that caver on the right path.

3) To rebuild trust. A caver joining a new group is asking a whole bunch of struggling strangers to support him/ her. If that caver can't come in willing to buy in to the system, show that he/ she is aware of why that failure happened and what he/ she is willing to do to change, then why should anyone in that new group go out of his/her way to help or care about that caver? Everyone is struggling mightily with his/her own quit and if a caver wants their support, he/ she needs to show that he/ she is worth it.

4) To penalize the cave. This can be uncomfortable, but this is a zero tolerance system. For most of us, any leniency or give in the system would lead to rationalizing a cave. This is foundational. There are many carrots here, but this is the stick. No one wants to be called names and for many, that example & the threat of that shame will keep them clean. It's not necessarily about that one individual, but for those watching.

5) To help everyone to move forward. If weak-ass answers/ none at all, are just left sitting out there, then inevitably someone will call that person out after every post he/ she makes - there is a responsibility to hold people accountable. If someone wants the support that this site offers, he/ she has to abide by the established policies.

The rules here didn't come about by accident. They evolved over many years and are based in practical application. The fact is, we are addicts and addicts will take advantage of any weakness in the structure to justify caving. So allowing this to slide does a disservice to the caver, but also is foundationally detrimental to the system here.
JGLAV:
It continues to amaze me how many people put so much time in to help another person out in their quit. Love this site for that reason and thanks for your diligence.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2018, 05:23:34 PM »
Just posted this in one of the new groups. My perspective on the three questions. This is just my take, there are definitely other valid reasons and some valid objections. Take what you need and leave the rest.

There are a few practical reasons for the questions.

1) To get the caver thinking about what happened. The tools to stay quit are here at KTC and the point of this site is to help us get truly quit, not just stop for a while. Cavers need to face the reason for why they failed. Understanding that failure in depth and in detail will help them to build a plan for success going forward.

2) To help the caver build that plan. Answering those questions to the public forum allows others the chance to identify potential pitfalls and help cavers develop tools that will keep them quit for the long haul. Admittedly, the public forum leads to some tough language and name calling, but the end goal is to put that caver on the right path.

3) To rebuild trust. A caver joining a new group is asking a whole bunch of struggling strangers to support him/ her. If that caver can't come in willing to buy in to the system, show that he/ she is aware of why that failure happened and what he/ she is willing to do to change, then why should anyone in that new group go out of his/her way to help or care about that caver? Everyone is struggling mightily with his/her own quit and if a caver wants their support, he/ she needs to show that he/ she is worth it.

4) To penalize the cave. This can be uncomfortable, but this is a zero tolerance system. For most of us, any leniency or give in the system would lead to rationalizing a cave. This is foundational. There are many carrots here, but this is the stick. No one wants to be called names and for many, that example & the threat of that shame will keep them clean. It's not necessarily about that one individual, but for those watching.

5) To help everyone to move forward. If weak-ass answers/ none at all, are just left sitting out there, then inevitably someone will call that person out after every post he/ she makes - there is a responsibility to hold people accountable. If someone wants the support that this site offers, he/ she has to abide by the established policies.

The rules here didn't come about by accident. They evolved over many years and are based in practical application. The fact is, we are addicts and addicts will take advantage of any weakness in the structure to justify caving. So allowing this to slide does a disservice to the caver, but also is foundationally detrimental to the system here.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
HAWPS:
Pky, I just now saw this page. You're a tremendous leader to myself and the rest of August. Keep slaying the nic bitch.
WORKTOWIN:
Every once in a while a great leader shows up at KTC. Someone who helps themself by throwing everything they've got into helping others. You are one of those guys.

Right after HOF is a challenging time. No big milestone to look forward to and usually some crazy in the individual groups. Don't change a thing - you are doing great, and there is an insane amount of upside ahead. You like where you are now? Just wait... One day at a time!
Thanks for the words guys. Before coming to KTC I was a hopeless failure at quitting. The more active I am in here the stronger I am out there. It is still one day at a time, sometimes still moment to moment.

Thanks for helping to keep me steady!

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
HAWPS:
Pky, I just now saw this page. You're a tremendous leader to myself and the rest of August. Keep slaying the nic bitch.
WORKTOWIN:
Every once in a while a great leader shows up at KTC. Someone who helps themself by throwing everything they've got into helping others. You are one of those guys.

Right after HOF is a challenging time. No big milestone to look forward to and usually some crazy in the individual groups. Don't change a thing - you are doing great, and there is an insane amount of upside ahead. You like where you are now? Just wait... One day at a time!

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2018, 05:22:17 PM »
HAWPS:

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
COWMUS:
Congrats!!!!! I enjoyed reading your HOF speech.
I'm proud to be in the August quit group with such a fine quitter.

CowMus