Author Topic: I'm Back. I'm Dumb.  (Read 74937 times)

Offline AndruwJacksonTaylor

• Quitter
  • Interests: Family, The Andy Griffith Show, Coaching, Exercise, Penn State Football, MLB, NFL
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'm back
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Quote from: wastepanel
Hi all. I'm wastepanel.

I've been here before. In fact, I quit for 2 years with the help of the old site. My HOF speech can be seen here:
My HOF speech from the old site

Re-reading makes me cry. I'm not sure why I let myself fall back into the habit. All it took was a drunken afternoon and a thought of "I can't get addicted from just one". I suck, but I'm back.

Anyways, I hope all of our quits go well and we can be strong together.
I just sent you a PM
AJT
Barney Fife: The last big buy was my mom's and dad's anniversary present.
Andy Taylor: What'd ya get 'em?
Barney Fife: Septic tank.
Andy Taylor: For their anniversary?
Barney Fife: Yeah, They're awfully hard to buy for. Besides, it was something they could use. They were really thrilled. It had two tons of concrete in it. All steel reinforced.
Andy Taylor: You're a fine son, Barn.
Barney Fife: I try.

Offline rebeldog

• Quit Pro
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Quote from: jaygib
Fuck you and Fuck Ohio!
jaygib, truer words have never been spoken. I think I'm in love in a no-homo kind of way.
It's just since I've been on this site that I'm warming up to anything Ohio because of many quitters here (from there). My first boss was a transplant from Ohio and she was a cross between Nurse Ratchet and Coach Balbricker so please understand my inital distain for all that is Ohio. I believe I'm current on my tetanus :blink: shot so I could probably visit the rust belt if needed.
You will never grow taller than when you stoop to help a brother. - The Varlet

Offline Gatortom

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing, running, working out
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Quote from: loot
And it's not a habit. It's a fucking addiction. Keep it up with your hope and habit and your stupid ass is destined to be posting yet another Day 1. Get your Shit together. Apparently a lot Of people spent a lot of time with you in chat. Don't waste it by continuing to dance around your issues.
I feel so welcome on this forum.

Why is everybody so hostile? Apparantly, nobody else on chat had quit for a long time and reverted back. The chatters all had taken anti-depressants at the onset of he quit, and there wasn't one person on there that had issues far into a quit. I was asking if/when those started the drugs started said drugs far into a quit. I was asked to toss my shit and I did.

Now I am few hours into this. My jaw is tingly, and I'm not going to take this hostile shit anymore.

Sorry to bother some of you.
Awwww, did your wittle bitty feelings get hurt? How about this, quit being a pussy and actually own up to your cave and admit you are an addict? Expect to take some shit for caving and get to quittin'. If you are that sensitive, take your ball and head back to QS lite where you quit the first time. Otherwise, STFU with the whining about people being mean and head over to October and post a day 1 if you haven't already.
Quit date - 1/4/2011
HOF - 4/13/2011

Offline jaygib

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Fuck you and Fuck Ohio!

I know for certain I can be addicted with just one. I also know for certain I can be addicted without just one. I am an addict. I could use just one and walk away with nicotine sickness and the enormous disappointment in letting down the members of this site standing with me and the knowledge that my quit at any moment is only the strength of my resolve to not use.

But I'll quit with you today wastepanel. Go Blue!
Quit January 19, 2011

Everything is permissible for me but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor 6:12

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Quote from: redtrain14
And it's not a habit. It's a fucking addiction. Keep it up with your hope and habit and your stupid ass is destined to be posting yet another Day 1. Get your Shit together. Apparently a lot Of people spent a lot of time with you in chat. Don't waste it by continuing to dance around your issues.

Why is everybody so hostile? Apparantly, nobody else on chat had quit for a long time and reverted back. The chatters all had taken anti-depressants at the onset of he quit, and there wasn't one person on there that had issues far into a quit. I was asking if/when those started the drugs started said drugs far into a quit. I was asked to toss my shit and I did.

Now I am few hours into this. My jaw is tingly, and I'm not going to take this hostile shit anymore.

No hostility...simply pointing out the problems with your approach.
Wow WP, a few well pointed posts are going to hurt your feelings? You're gonna be in big trouble when the nic demons start whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Read the last line in my signature and toughen up buttercup.
We all have issues, we all have times we say what if, we all have points and times that we have to decide rather to stay nic free or not.

The difference is, I as well as many others use what we have learned and the support that is here to keep the shit out of our faces when the crossroads are met.

You did not.

It is always your choice. Every day. I have never heard of anyone having caved with a gun pointed at their head.

I know what I choose and what I will do the next time that sneaky little bitch comes a callin. Do You???????
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »

Wow WP, a few well pointed posts are going to hurt your feelings? You're gonna be in big trouble when the nic demons start whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Read the last line in my signature and toughen up buttercup.

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Quote from: Texaslifer03
Remember we all make mistakes man it is what you do with them from here that defines who you are! Kick that shit for good!
Truer words have never been spoken. Very well said Tejas.
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline TryingAgain2011

• Interests: The usual: rock & roll, big tits, fast cars, good beer, etc.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
I know I'm a newbie here, but for whatever my opinion is worth...everybody is different - your mileage may vary. Some folks can just throw their tin away and never look back, and quit cold turkey for good with zero support from anyone. Had a buddy in college that did this, and as far as I know he never chewed again.

Others struggle. Some struggle more than others, relapsing and requitting, etc. I'm on day 5 and so far so good. Have had some moderate withdrawal pangs but no killer cravings yet, knock on wood, although the fog sucks. Having to force myself to concentrate a lot. But it's getting better every day.

Anyway, it's taken several failed attempts and relapses for me to get here. A lot of beating myself up over the years (you all know that guilt), then hiding that I'd started chewing again, etc. I'm sure you've all been there.

So welcome back, wastepanel. Look at it this way: if you quit before for 2 years, you can quit again for 2 more. Or for 3 more. Or for good.

Offline Texaslifer03

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »
Remember we all make mistakes man it is what you do with them from here that defines who you are! Kick that shit for good!

Offline loot

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline loot

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »

Offline Capt Kylos

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-11-28
  • Interests: 2nd Dan Black Belt ITF Taekwondo, Judo, Krav Maga,Jujitsu, fishing, single malt scotch and craft beer.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »

There is no hope here...only quit.....how is this time going to be different? You get your head on straight and you will get more support here then you'll know what to do with.
Chew is for the weak, the ignorant, the stupid.....don't be stupid. Not stupid as of 11/28/10
Before you cave read this http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?showtopic=4938
Acting with almost as much speed as cyanide, nicotine is well
established as one of the most toxic drugs known. In humans,
60mg (a drop) is a lethal dose, and death follows intake within a few minutes. Dr. Charles Ksir

Mouth cancer kills
one American every hour.

Stay Quit...it's life or death.....
Don't Cave

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
I'm back
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Hi all. I'm wastepanel.

I've been here before. In fact, I quit for 2 years with the help of the old site. My HOF speech can be seen here:
My HOF speech from the old site

Re-reading makes me cry. I'm not sure why I let myself fall back into the habit. All it took was a drunken afternoon and a thought of "I can't get addicted from just one". I suck, but I'm back.

In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
Re: I'm Back. I'm Dumb.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
My son's grades currently suck.

He's a smart kid though.  He completely has the ability to do anything that he wants but refuses to put in the time.  It's frustrating because the biggest reason his grades suck are because he doesn't do his assignments.  Trapjaw Jr has always felt he's a special bird and that the rules of the world apply to others...but not him.  He's 14 years old and I'm getting to my wits' end with these antics.

After another kitchen table talk last night, I started thinking a little bit about Harry Potter, Rocky Balboa, and how pop culture has kind of taught our kids that they're specialty is just there rather than teaching them that hard work gets them what they want.

Most kids and adults know who Harry Potter is.  Those books and the fantastic journey of the boy wizard have inspired countless offshoots and inspired the media today.  If you look at the Young Adult popular series (Harry Potter, Maze Runner, etc), most of the stories focus on its protagonist to be revealed as the chosen one.  It's not special to this generation.  The Matrix did it and so did Buffy the Vampire slayer when I was younger.  In fact, I bet it's a trope that is used every generation to inspire its not so productive members that it's never too late to excel at "something".

Unfortunately, it teaches a very bad lesson too.

Most of us will not be given a fantastic hero's journey.  We are offered small choices each day.  It's what we do with those small choices that defines us.  As a quitter, I've learned and taught that (while grand quit moments happen) those grand moments don't define our quit.  It's the every day battle and the every day choice to stay quit that makes us quitters.  I'm 2,723 days into my quit and I've had some rough times.  I chose to be quit during those and good for me.  However, it was the little decisions that got me to that point.  I wasn't handed a quit and told to protect it at 400 days.  I earned those 400 fucking days quit and I was protecting it because it was not given to me.  It meant all the world to me.

Often times, I've held the Rocky series up a great example to not give up but he too is just handed an opportunity while his work to get there is glossed over.  Now, most of the time, Rocky champions hard work and we're shown the hard work he puts in through montages.  It's easy to look at those montages and see his progress because of the editing.  However, real progress isn't as dramatic.  It's slow and it's not always linear.  Sometimes you take steps back to make gains the next moment.

The most important of the Rocky movies is that they teach not to give up no matter what you are facing.  Harry Potter teaches friends can prop you up at times and that sometimes groups are more powerful than individuals.  But, at the end, you have to make the final stand on your own.  They'll have your back but you have to point your weapon and pull the trigger.

I hope that Trapjaw Jr gets it.  It took me a while to get it.  When I talk to him about it, he gets angry.  I know it's not because he blames me.  He's angry at himself and I know because I've been there.  The answer is so simple to his problem:  Do what is expected.

We all can be quit but not all of us will take the time to earn our quits.  If it's too easy, the quit isn't worth anything to you and you won't appreciate it.  Nothing is too hard forever.  You might have some big moments of staying quit and I'll fucking applaud as all hell for those times you get through them, but what I appreciate the most are those that make it through the grind to get to those moments.   Those are true fucking heroes.