Author Topic: The Quit.  (Read 31933 times)

Offline Aquaman43

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Bad Wolf - July 2021
  • Interests: SCUBA, but my ears are blown, martial arts, travel with my wife.
  • Likes Given: 490
Re: The Quit.
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2021, 08:10:13 AM »
Day 209

It is funny how long nicotine try's to hang on. I felt pretty bad from day 180 to about day 200. Craving, jaw/gum itch, irritation, annoyed. All the other symptoms  have passed away but those. Even conducting June 21 i can honestly say i walked to the ledge every damn day. Deciding if my quit was worth it, My brain still trying to figure out why i even started this campaign, O how easy it would be to just stop and buy a can. looking out wondering if just one fix would help with the turmoil swirling in my mind. I have done this every day since my own HOF. And i can honestly say its Exhausting. Every damn day i walk to that ledge and weigh my options. And than my biggest test came at me. Divorce, now i don't want to dive to much into it but that type of stress, emotional roller-coaster, and loss had me over that ledge holding on with one hand. Mind telling my i dont have a wife to nag me any more, you could just go back and no one will care, Was/is all this effort worth it? But here i am posting another day and here is why folks.

1) I have been WUPPing so long its second nature to me now, its soooo easy.
2) when the Nicotine bitch talks, my name on roll early reminds it that i promised you all i would make it for today.
3) A special pieace of info i read here early on my quit called "choose your Harder" I've told myself this everyday since i read it, and even more so through my divorce.
4) I built my Quit wall extremely high with newbies, half dangle quitters, and vets alike that not only count on my text message but i theirs. (By far the best way to back away from that ledge is through your quit brothers and sisters)
5) The Accountability and effort i put in had people reaching out to me checking to see if i was still solid because i was only posting roll in my group.

Its hard  being a quitter, but is it worth it? HELL YES! Its worth everything! The freedom of not tracking down a can, The free landscape your home/car/job has without nasty ass spitters. The knowing that im actively  trying to take care of my health for myself and for my family. that they wont have to see me go through Chemo and radiation as i have watch my Uncle. We work at this thing Every Damn Day and i would not have it any other way. Divorce, Family deaths, favorite pet died they are just prefect opportunity's  for that nic bitch thats been waiting to open the door. Today i stand at that ledge again and weigh my options mentally, and again i am choosing freedom for today.Be better , Dip does not define you any more so toss it the finger and keep pushing.

Nick- LTBE

Every once in a while you will see one. It's rare, but it happens. Some quitter with a few hundred days under their belt that you just know is going to be one of the greats. Just keep making that bitch your whore on the daily brother.

Walking to the ledge. That is frightening and beautiful at the same time.
"Ninety-nine percent of all failures come from people who have a habit of making excuses.” ~ George Washington Carver

”Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.” ~ Robert Allen

"Stay Strapped or get Clapped" ~ George Washington

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2021, 07:44:44 PM »
Day 209

It is funny how long nicotine try's to hang on. I felt pretty bad from day 180 to about day 200. Craving, jaw/gum itch, irritation, annoyed. All the other symptoms  have passed away but those. Even conducting June 21 i can honestly say i walked to the ledge every damn day. Deciding if my quit was worth it, My brain still trying to figure out why i even started this campaign, O how easy it would be to just stop and buy a can. looking out wondering if just one fix would help with the turmoil swirling in my mind. I have done this every day since my own HOF. And i can honestly say its Exhausting. Every damn day i walk to that ledge and weigh my options. And than my biggest test came at me. Divorce, now i don't want to dive to much into it but that type of stress, emotional roller-coaster, and loss had me over that ledge holding on with one hand. Mind telling my i dont have a wife to nag me any more, you could just go back and no one will care, Was/is all this effort worth it? But here i am posting another day and here is why folks.

2) when the Nicotine bitch talks, my name on roll early reminds it that i promised you all i would make it for today.
3) A special pieace of info i read here early on my quit called "choose your Harder" I've told myself this everyday since i read it, and even more so through my divorce.
4) I built my Quit wall extremely high with newbies, half dangle quitters, and vets alike that not only count on my text message but i theirs. (By far the best way to back away from that ledge is through your quit brothers and sisters)
5) The Accountability and effort i put in had people reaching out to me checking to see if i was still solid because i was only posting roll in my group.

Its hard  being a quitter, but is it worth it? HELL YES! Its worth everything! The freedom of not tracking down a can, The free landscape your home/car/job has without nasty ass spitters. The knowing that im actively  trying to take care of my health for myself and for my family. that they wont have to see me go through Chemo and radiation as i have watch my Uncle. We work at this thing Every Damn Day and i would not have it any other way. Divorce, Family deaths, favorite pet died they are just prefect opportunity's  for that nic bitch thats been waiting to open the door. Today i stand at that ledge again and weigh my options mentally, and again i am choosing freedom for today.Be better , Dip does not define you any more so toss it the finger and keep pushing.

Nick- LTBE
Nick, thanks for sharing!

You are correct quitting is not easy, and the daily struggle can be overwhelming.  Many of us want the easy button:  "Hey, I quit and nicotine is no longer in my system.  Why do I still have these withdrawal symptoms?"  "Why can't I just go back to feeling normal?"  "Can't I just have one good day without thinking about a dip?"  "Why did I dream about having a dip?"  "Will these craves ever go away?"

It does get better.  For some they stop thinking about it and can go on without much issue.  For others (like me) the healing process has been slow and at times painful.  Many people do not realize that there will be funks and quit related withdrawal symptoms for awhile.  The good news is over time these symptoms become less noticeable with the duration being longer in between events.  It does take time to heal.  Some of us also learn that we were using nicotine to cover up an issue like anxiety for instance (me!).  It does get better.

Make your promise everyday.  Keep your word.  Create relationships and build a strong quit circle.  Hold people accountable to the process.  Freedom for nicotine is worth the small amount of effort.
@nick-Otine Free you are smart to have established a routine that protects your quit. By waking up, pissing, and posting roll, it doesn’t matter how busy the day gets - your quit is protected. The rest is easy - keep your promise. Wish every quitter would understand this.
This is one those thoughts that should be posted in new quit groups. These little snippets from quitters who have the nic bitch by the balls and kicking her ass daily by posting their promise.
With you all the way my friend and you are providing sound advice for all. This quote really stuck out to me

I was skeptical at first about sharing my digits with a bunch if strangers. Dude, these strangers have saved my butt so many times and I know that without them where would I be. The greatest way that I found to really strengthen my quit was to reach out to others and be there for them. When we are there for others we are really helping ourselves. I know how important my text is to a few in my group and to some it means alot to have that interaction. I know which in my group that when I am having a bad day or early on in my quit I was at the ledge I could call/text and say help. We need each other more then we want to think and just like The Samaritan we have no idea what we might mean to somebody at that moment. I agree with old school some of us take longer to heal and at 509 days in I finally might be getter to the bottom of my GI issues. I still crave but I can laugh it off, I still dream but I recognize it and move on but I still have that nagging feeling in me like I am in mourning. After 30 plus years I guess it takes awhile to really let go and have closure. I pray daily that I will continue to be a winner over tobacco and that all my fello quitters will stay quit along with the many many more that will make that decision. Proud to be in your corner bud and God Bless ya.

Offline bubblehed668

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit King
  • "The" Conductor
  • Quit Date: 03/22/2008
  • Likes Given: 658
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »
Day 209

Nick- LTBE

You are correct quitting is not easy, and the daily struggle can be overwhelming.  Many of us want the easy button:  "Hey, I quit and nicotine is no longer in my system.  Why do I still have these withdrawal symptoms?"  "Why can't I just go back to feeling normal?"  "Can't I just have one good day without thinking about a dip?"  "Why did I dream about having a dip?"  "Will these craves ever go away?"

It does get better.  For some they stop thinking about it and can go on without much issue.  For others (like me) the healing process has been slow and at times painful.  Many people do not realize that there will be funks and quit related withdrawal symptoms for awhile.  The good news is over time these symptoms become less noticeable with the duration being longer in between events.  It does take time to heal.  Some of us also learn that we were using nicotine to cover up an issue like anxiety for instance (me!).  It does get better.

Make your promise everyday.  Keep your word.  Create relationships and build a strong quit circle.  Hold people accountable to the process.  Freedom for nicotine is worth the small amount of effort.
@nick-Otine Free you are smart to have established a routine that protects your quit. By waking up, pissing, and posting roll, it doesn’t matter how busy the day gets - your quit is protected. The rest is easy - keep your promise. Wish every quitter would understand this.
This is one those thoughts that should be posted in new quit groups. These little snippets from quitters who have the nic bitch by the balls and kicking her ass daily by posting their promise.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2030
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2021, 10:33:51 AM »
Day 209

Nick- LTBE

Jan19

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 10/08/2018
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2021, 01:45:48 PM »
Day 209

Nick- LTBE

The only time you fail, is if you don't try

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • LTBE- Quittin since 12/30/20
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
  • Likes Given: 1868
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2021, 09:10:23 AM »
Day 209

Nick- LTBE

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 09:17:42 AM by nick-Otine Free »
I may not be a smart man, but I know what quit is! -Quitest Gump-
     -Don't plan for the future, Quit for today!-
"The way to get started is to (quit) talking and begin doing." Walt Disney
~you cant plan your quit you just have to do it, both feet free fall.~
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: traveling,Hunting,backpacking, Fully Sending it, working out, reading, God, Motivation
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2021, 08:52:05 AM »
23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

6 months quit today, For me this was my initial goal coming onto this site. I didn't know 100 days was a thing at the time, so this milestone means twice as much to me. It been a journey. Honestly i thought the day i made it to 6 months i would be set to go. before i quit i had this false idea that after a couple months it would be a cake walk and at 6 months i would not ever know i had dipped. The Facts are quiet the opposite. I have good and bad days walking this path. A nice relaxing walk after my HOF where i felt so good and lately a slumber. for about 15+ days leading up to today My jaw and teeth have hurt like i just quit. I feel my agitation and frustration with my quit build as i bite on my cheek wishing i had a dip. I made the choice on my HOF day that i would quit Fake dip as well. so its been 82 days since i have had any sort of fixation outside of bubble gum. Not the smartest move but i like to push my limits and challenge myself. So today i stand at 6 months realizing i need this site its brotherhood and most importantly its accountability almost more than i needed it at day 30. The internal battle of pushing the nic demon down daily is exhausting, but rewarding the next day waking up still nicotine free. dont be fooled early on in your quit or at your 100 day HOF because it still can suck a half year in. 14 years of a can a day habit can not be erased so quickly and i guess i didnt understand that. now i do and im so thankful for all my support here and hope my support for some of you has aided in your quit.

also ran into this quote for my texting today " 6 months of hardcore focus and alignment can put you 5 years ahead in life. Don't underestimate the power of consistency and desire. You have what it takes to become the best that you can be. Don't ever doubt yourself. Harness your power. Exceed your expectations."

If your a guest know all of our paths are not the same but are very similar. Its possible to kick this shitty habit but you gotta want it because that Nic demon wants you more alot of times. for the newer quitter keep the course! Its worth it I had a month plus of just amazing no worries, no craving , freedom from the can. they come and go. fewer and far in-between. 70s funk 200 funk dont matter what it throws at me the brothers and sisters here will make sure im on roll and quit. Join your quit group or if you did begin branching out and helping others.

Nick-182-~ LTBE~ Let Today Be Enough. yesterday is long gone, tomorrow may never come but today. today is enough!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 09:03:27 AM by nick-Otine Free »
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the Valiant never taste of death but once"
Daily Devotional

Offline stillbrewing

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/5/19
  • Likes Given: 1076
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2021, 04:17:29 PM »
~ A Prideful Man ~

update on the last month. Good new my uncle is in remission the cant see the cancer anymore but his level show there may be a tiny bit left. start of june he was suppose to start his second round of chemo but his numbers were not good enough. He did not tolerate first round well enough and wanted to wait. He also visted the Cardiologist because he want that vest off (his pacer incision was infected) but the dr wants to wait until he is done with all chemo and heals more. his risk of reinfection is to high right now and if it get infected again he will have to wait until the feed port comes out which would be a few years of wearing the vest. He had a Echo done because of the pain and breathlessness he has been having. the Radiation  dr she would send orders to have the feeding tube removed  if he promised he would keep eating. he would rather get rid of the vest but baby steps. He is sick of the feeding tube and has threaten to pull the damn thing out any way.

as of end of june (last friday) he had 2 weeks of really low platelets counts, but are finally rebounding. the count needs to be 100 to start chemo back up. he was at 50 but is now at 61. dr want to look at it again in another week. and wait to see if the chemo made the cancer stay away. during all this he now has to have testing done for bone marrow issues which is a side effect from the chemo. Yesterday he had a count of 132 so he will start his second round of chemo today. they have to lower the does from the original amount hoping he will bounce back faster and he can handle another treatment in three week.

so a mix of good new and bad news. he has high hopes now that he has this beat. Hoping the chemo and radiation don't take him out now. he is happy to have the feeding tube removed. its good to see him smile for once.

Stay quit friends I've seen what the Nic demon has done to my uncle its not pleasant in the least.

Nick-181 LTBE
He needs to leave the G-Tube in until he is farther along in his treatment.  If he has complications from the radiation like naro-esophageal burns, he will stop eating (or can't eat) and the tube will be put back in.  Your Uncle is kicking ass...Prayers up!
"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes all worth living.  So, love the life you live, live the life you love." - Bob Marley

“La tristesse durera toujours." ~ Vincent van Gogh

"You can fuck off all the way to fuckoff mountain and jump off FUCKOFF point for all i care. Just post and stay quit." ~MikeW2018~

HOF-3/13/20; 2nd floor-6/21/20; 3rd floor-9/29/20; 1 year-12/3/20; 4th floor-1/7/21; 5th floor-4/17/21; 6th floor-7/26/21

HOF Speech Here

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »
~ A Prideful Man ~

update on the last month. Good new my uncle is in remission the cant see the cancer anymore but his level show there may be a tiny bit left. start of june he was suppose to start his second round of chemo but his numbers were not good enough. He did not tolerate first round well enough and wanted to wait. He also visted the Cardiologist because he want that vest off (his pacer incision was infected) but the dr wants to wait until he is done with all chemo and heals more. his risk of reinfection is to high right now and if it get infected again he will have to wait until the feed port comes out which would be a few years of wearing the vest. He had a Echo done because of the pain and breathlessness he has been having. the Radiation  dr she would send orders to have the feeding tube removed  if he promised he would keep eating. he would rather get rid of the vest but baby steps. He is sick of the feeding tube and has threaten to pull the damn thing out any way.

as of end of june (last friday) he had 2 weeks of really low platelets counts, but are finally rebounding. the count needs to be 100 to start chemo back up. he was at 50 but is now at 61. dr want to look at it again in another week. and wait to see if the chemo made the cancer stay away. during all this he now has to have testing done for bone marrow issues which is a side effect from the chemo. Yesterday he had a count of 132 so he will start his second round of chemo today. they have to lower the does from the original amount hoping he will bounce back faster and he can handle another treatment in three week.

so a mix of good new and bad news. he has high hopes now that he has this beat. Hoping the chemo and radiation don't take him out now. he is happy to have the feeding tube removed. its good to see him smile for once.

Stay quit friends I've seen what the Nic demon has done to my uncle its not pleasant in the least.

Nick-181 LTBE
Daily Devotional

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2021, 11:47:07 PM »
     157 days of battle. days 150-157 have been filled with craving the itch and a kinda hazy dream of what it was back when i dipped. Even more impressive that the can is always knocking on your door no matter how many bolts locks you have on it. Far better off than i was, but even this far along my brain is still trying to figure out why i quit and talk to that dependent side.  "I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul?"

~Nick-157~LTBE
Nick, you and I have 300 days between us and we are fighting that same demon. After 457 days I still fight the crave and urge which is actually sad when you think about it. I have GI issues thanks to years of abuse and my brain daily tells me that I should go back to dipping as you didn’t have this issue when you did. I want to sometimes smack myself for letting my brain cause more issues then I need but then again I am a addict. I also remember a vet saying before I go back to the can that I should smash my cajonies in drawer then I was to call him and tell him why I smashed my cajonies in a drawer. That has been one of many reasons why I refuse to allow that demon to win. Stay blogging it out my friend and many will follow. If not maybe they should smash their cajonies in a drawer every time before they take a dip, lol.
Dammit...better smash those gonads before packing that lipper or put my # on speed dial. 
Put your Quit in perspective...You dipped for 30+ years.  That's 30 years of learned behavior
of using nicotine to adapt to every up and down in your life.  A dip for every victory and two
times that for every stressful thing in your that challenged you.  You cannot erase that shit
with 457 days quit.  You, like me sir, are infants in our quits.  We may not be plagued by craves
on a daily basis, but it still haunts.  WE WILL DO THIS SHIT ODAAT! 
..See you tomorrow on roll my friend.
~SB
It’s gets so much better. I dipped for nearly 38 years. I never thought I would make it this far until I learned I could quit one day at a time. Once you understand we are addicts you understand the cravings better. Just remember you have a support system here waiting to help. Don’t try to do this alone. Use your resources and let the data add up.

35 years of nicotine use for me.  2,100 days free today and I still have occasional dip dreams.  Healing takes a long time.  Posting a promise and keeping that promise takes 24 hours.  I'm proud to quit with you all today.
@nick-Otine Free Dude we have such an awesome support group here. These vets that responded are truly awesome and it is such an honor to have them on our side. That is why we need to keep blogging it out for others. These vets lift us up so that we can lift others. Like the song says “One day at a time sweet Jesus” and match that with our morning promise then we have the strength to win the day.
thanks Doug ! I agree it’s what makes this place work ! I’m lucky to be apart of it even luckier to be dip free . It’s easy relatable because we all have been there and no that feeling stay fresh brothers and thanks guys -nick

There is no luck involved in being dip free. You are doing that every damn day by yourself.  8)

Offline nick-Otine Free

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
     157 days of battle. days 150-157 have been filled with craving the itch and a kinda hazy dream of what it was back when i dipped. Even more impressive that the can is always knocking on your door no matter how many bolts locks you have on it. Far better off than i was, but even this far along my brain is still trying to figure out why i quit and talk to that dependent side.  "I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul?"

~Nick-157~LTBE
Nick, you and I have 300 days between us and we are fighting that same demon. After 457 days I still fight the crave and urge which is actually sad when you think about it. I have GI issues thanks to years of abuse and my brain daily tells me that I should go back to dipping as you didn’t have this issue when you did. I want to sometimes smack myself for letting my brain cause more issues then I need but then again I am a addict. I also remember a vet saying before I go back to the can that I should smash my cajonies in drawer then I was to call him and tell him why I smashed my cajonies in a drawer. That has been one of many reasons why I refuse to allow that demon to win. Stay blogging it out my friend and many will follow. If not maybe they should smash their cajonies in a drawer every time before they take a dip, lol.
Dammit...better smash those gonads before packing that lipper or put my # on speed dial. 
Put your Quit in perspective...You dipped for 30+ years.  That's 30 years of learned behavior
of using nicotine to adapt to every up and down in your life.  A dip for every victory and two
times that for every stressful thing in your that challenged you.  You cannot erase that shit
with 457 days quit.  You, like me sir, are infants in our quits.  We may not be plagued by craves
~SB
It’s gets so much better. I dipped for nearly 38 years. I never thought I would make it this far until I learned I could quit one day at a time. Once you understand we are addicts you understand the cravings better. Just remember you have a support system here waiting to help. Don’t try to do this alone. Use your resources and let the data add up.

35 years of nicotine use for me.  2,100 days free today and I still have occasional dip dreams.  Healing takes a long time.  Posting a promise and keeping that promise takes 24 hours.  I'm proud to quit with you all today.
@nick-Otine Free Dude we have such an awesome support group here. These vets that responded are truly awesome and it is such an honor to have them on our side. That is why we need to keep blogging it out for others. These vets lift us up so that we can lift others. Like the song says “One day at a time sweet Jesus” and match that with our morning promise then we have the strength to win the day.
thanks Doug ! I agree it’s what makes this place work ! I’m lucky to be apart of it even luckier to be dip free . It’s easy relatable because we all have been there and no that feeling stay fresh brothers and thanks guys -nick
Daily Devotional

Offline Thefranks5

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 3/5/2020
  • Interests: Praising the Lord,tractor pulling for sure, anything to do with farming, hunting and soccer.
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2021, 07:32:53 AM »

~Nick-157~LTBE
~SB

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2021, 10:42:50 PM »

~Nick-157~LTBE
~SB

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2030
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2021, 10:34:12 PM »

~Nick-157~LTBE
~SB
Jan19

Offline stillbrewing

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/5/19
  • Likes Given: 1076
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2021, 08:59:32 PM »

~Nick-157~LTBE
~SB
"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes all worth living.  So, love the life you live, live the life you love." - Bob Marley

“La tristesse durera toujours." ~ Vincent van Gogh

"You can fuck off all the way to fuckoff mountain and jump off FUCKOFF point for all i care. Just post and stay quit." ~MikeW2018~

HOF-3/13/20; 2nd floor-6/21/20; 3rd floor-9/29/20; 1 year-12/3/20; 4th floor-1/7/21; 5th floor-4/17/21; 6th floor-7/26/21

HOF Speech Here