Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
  • Quit Date: 1/7/2018
  • Likes Given: 96
Re: Kybo
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2021, 07:38:51 AM »
Day 1362

It just dawned on me this morning as I was driving to work that I no longer own any vehicle that I ever chewed tobacco in.  To the person that has never chewed tobacco this may not seem like a big deal.  But, to those of us that have wasted immeasurable hours trying to vacuum out the endless amounts of dried up chewing tobacco dust from the cracks and crevices of our vehicles it is nothing less than a monumental realization.  In my 30+ years of chewing I never was able to figure out exactly how that shit got literally everywhere in my truck.  And now, I don't have to worry about it.  And as an added bonus, none of my current vehicles have that unmistakable "chew cup left in the sun" odor that never completely went away no matter what I did.

The little things in life................................
"No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
"That's what's great about the outdoors, you know. It's one giant toilet."
"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
Kybo
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2021, 11:31:58 AM »
Day 1306

Been a while since I have posted in here. 

By my calculations I have saved at least $5,000 since I quit chewing. My estimate is that I would have probably purchased somewhere between 1300 and 1500 cans in the last 1306 days if I hadn't made the decision to quit.  I always use the conservative "one can a day" assumption when I post my estimated savings every week in Big Savings Wednesday, but in reality I probably would have chewed closer to 1500 cans.   

Over the last 3 years I have used the money I saved to buy things that I probably would not have purchased if I was still buying chew.  It was a conscious decision from the beginning to use the money I saved as a reward for staying quit. So, every 100 days I give myself $400 to spend on whatever I want.  I have bought everything from a drone to a new weed eater to adjustable control arms for my Jeep.  Last week I bought a small Pellet Grill for my BARn. 

It amazes me to think about all the money I threw away over the years on tobacco.

There is really no point to my post today.  I just realized this morning that I hadn't posted in here in a long time and my weekly post in Big Savings Wednesday this morning got me thinking about all the money I have personally kept out of big tobacco's pocket.  If you are a KTC member and you have a few minutes, go up to the link I posted above for Big Savings Wednesday and add your money saved to this week's list.  It will make you feel good, I promise! ;)

Enjoy your Wednesday, my friends!   

"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2020, 05:07:33 PM »
Day 1059

It is hard to believe I will be hitting three years quit in a little over a month's time.  But, here I am.

Early in my quit journey my brain was constantly thinking about the fact that I wasn't chewing.  Every time I would mow the grass, drive my truck, read a book, go fishing, etc, my brain would be focusing on the fact that I used to always have a chew in my mouth when I did any of those things.  Eventually after time, I found that I might be mowing or fishing for 30 minutes or more before the thought popped into my head.  Somewhere along the line my brain finally stopped thinking about chew when I was doing those things.  Oh sure, chew still pops into my head every once in awhile.  But, it is a completely different thing now.  I can't really explain it. 

1,059 days in and I still post roll.  I do it because I don't want to forget where I have been.  Complacency will always be an addict's enemy. 

I repost the George Santayana quote below every once in awhile just to keep it at the top of my introduction page.  I feel like it helps me to read it and think about what it means to me from time to time.  Maybe it will help someone else too. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”   --   George Santayana

Perhaps George Santayana was a recovering addict himself. It sure sounds like he knew a thing or two about the subject. I can't tell you how many times I have failed in my attempts to quit in the past because I let myself forget just how addicted I am to the nicotine bitch.

George Santayana (1863-1952) was a Spanish born American author and philosopher. It is believed the above quote originated with George, but I have seen some sources that think the quote pre dates George by a few years. For me, it doesn’t really matter who said it first. The words of wisdom contained in the quote should be something memorized by every single addict that is working on recovery. Because when you truly see those words for what they are, you will understand those eleven words are actually a map that will guide any and all recovering addicts to the elusive treasure we all seek. And that treasure is none other than freedom from the chains of addiction.

So, why does KTC work and what does KTC mean to me?

Whether you use KTC to post and ghost roll every day or you fully engorge yourself with gallons and gallons of the kool aid, the successful recovering addict is using KTC to remember their past. They may not consciously realize what they are doing, but they are keeping their addiction front and center in their thoughts every time they visit KTC. By doing this, they are lessening the chance they will repeat their past failures. The daily ritual of visiting KTC keeps us from forgetting that we are addicts. It stops complacency dead in her tracks. And thus it keeps us from falling back down the rabbit hole we call addiction. For some people, simply visiting and posting roll every day is enough. Others may need to interact a little more. And still others may need to completely submerge themselves in the refreshing waters of brotherhood. Every one of us is different and every one of us is the same. Some need the phone calls and the accountability, others just need a safe place to read and reflect.

KTC may mean different things to different people. But, it also means the same thing to all of us. I will never forget where I have been, and I will never forget why I left. That is the pledge I silently make to myself every morning when I post roll call in April ‘18. Because I know if I ever let myself forget that I am an addict I will soon find myself on my proverbial knees again suckling at the teat of Big Tobacco.

Nice brother Kybo.  You should post this in the Comma Club Speeches.  Just sayin'
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2020, 03:28:09 PM »
Great stuff Kybo, the new normal is wonderful, isn't it?
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2020, 02:47:13 PM »
Day 1059

It is hard to believe I will be hitting three years quit in a little over a month's time.  But, here I am.

Early in my quit journey my brain was constantly thinking about the fact that I wasn't chewing.  Every time I would mow the grass, drive my truck, read a book, go fishing, etc, my brain would be focusing on the fact that I used to always have a chew in my mouth when I did any of those things.  Eventually after time, I found that I might be mowing or fishing for 30 minutes or more before the thought popped into my head.  Somewhere along the line my brain finally stopped thinking about chew when I was doing those things.  Oh sure, chew still pops into my head every once in awhile.  But, it is a completely different thing now.  I can't really explain it. 

1,059 days in and I still post roll.  I do it because I don't want to forget where I have been.  Complacency will always be an addict's enemy. 

I repost the George Santayana quote below every once in awhile just to keep it at the top of my introduction page.  I feel like it helps me to read it and think about what it means to me from time to time.  Maybe it will help someone else too. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”   --   George Santayana

Perhaps George Santayana was a recovering addict himself. It sure sounds like he knew a thing or two about the subject. I can't tell you how many times I have failed in my attempts to quit in the past because I let myself forget just how addicted I am to the nicotine bitch.

George Santayana (1863-1952) was a Spanish born American author and philosopher. It is believed the above quote originated with George, but I have seen some sources that think the quote pre dates George by a few years. For me, it doesn’t really matter who said it first. The words of wisdom contained in the quote should be something memorized by every single addict that is working on recovery. Because when you truly see those words for what they are, you will understand those eleven words are actually a map that will guide any and all recovering addicts to the elusive treasure we all seek. And that treasure is none other than freedom from the chains of addiction.

Whether you use KTC to post and ghost roll every day or you fully engorge yourself with gallons and gallons of the kool aid, the successful recovering addict is using KTC to remember their past. They may not consciously realize what they are doing, but they are keeping their addiction front and center in their thoughts every time they visit KTC. By doing this, they are lessening the chance they will repeat their past failures. The daily ritual of visiting KTC keeps us from forgetting that we are addicts. It stops complacency dead in her tracks. And thus it keeps us from falling back down the rabbit hole we call addiction. For some people, simply visiting and posting roll every day is enough. Others may need to interact a little more. And still others may need to completely submerge themselves in the refreshing waters of brotherhood. Every one of us is different and every one of us is the same. Some need the phone calls and the accountability, others just need a safe place to read and reflect.

KTC may mean different things to different people. But, it also means the same thing to all of us. I will never forget where I have been, and I will never forget why I left. That is the pledge I silently make to myself every morning when I post roll call in April ‘18. Because I know if I ever let myself forget that I am an addict I will soon find myself on my proverbial knees again suckling at the teat of Big Tobacco.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2020, 07:02:59 PM »
1,000 freaking days... outstanding brother, let's keep it Rollin' in the royalty!!!!
geez Kybo- it’s been quite a run brother. Rather pleased you’re a free man.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
  • Quit Date: 01/02/2018
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
  • Likes Given: 971
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »
1,000 freaking days... outstanding brother, let's keep it Rollin' in the royalty!!!!
Be humble... grow everyday.

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2020, 01:19:38 PM »
I bump the below text back up to the top of my Intro Page every once in awhile because I honestly think that the moment the thoughts below originally went through my mind (way back in March of 2018), is the exact moment that I finally understood and accepted the enormity of my addiction.  I bump it up mostly to help me remember where I have been.  But, maybe, just maybe, it might help flip the switch of recognition for another addict too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I lay wide awake last night staring at the ceiling and thinking about all the words of wisdom I have garnered from KTC in the last couple months, I found myself thinking about why KTC works for me. And I just kept coming back to one of my favorite quotes. I have never thought about this quote before from an addict’s perspective, but after last night I will probably never think of it in any other way again.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  George Santayana

I will never let myself forget because I do not want to repeat my past.

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #171 on: March 27, 2020, 10:20:43 PM »
Day 808

The parking lot is empty.  I am sitting here in the office by myself and answering the phones and emails as needed.

As depressing as things are getting, I still have lots of reasons to be thankful.  I am not going to bore anyone with listing them all out one by one.  But, I will mention that I am extremely thankful for not having to worry about whether I have enough chew stockpiled to make it through a prolonged quarantine.

Hang tough, man.  Honored to quit with you.

Reach out man if you need anything. People here care about you. It will get better.
Nice work man

I am doing good, guys.  I didn’t mean to freak anybody out.  Apparently I am “essential.”

Although this Covid-19 bullshit is making my life a little more difficult, I still have it better than most.  I have sent everyone else home at my office and I have been working by myself for the last week.  We have shut down one of our facilities completely and our other two are operating on reduced schedules.

I have a steady job that isn’t going anywhere and the other business that my wife and I own hasn’t suffered too much yet.  So, we still have two sources of income rolling in.  It is just really weird not having anybody else in my office every day.

That Intro update was just me expressing how much worse this bullshit would have been for me if I still had to worry about how much chew I had stockpiled.  Thank God I don’t have to worry about that any more.  The biggest thing I am worried about right now is how much this is going to impact my investment portfolio.  I was hoping to retire from my job in 2025 and go to part time in our other business to help my wife.  This bullshit may push me back another couple years.  But, in the grand scheme of things that isn’t really that big of a deal.

I love you guys and it means a lot to me that you guys were worried about me.  But, I am fine.

Offline FISHFLORIDA

• AUG 16' Traumatizer
  • Administrator
  • Quitting MoFo
  • The Adventures of Florida Man
  • Quit Date: 5/24/16
  • Interests: Saltwater Flyfishing
  • Likes Given: 1528
« Reply #170 on: March 27, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
Day 808

The parking lot is empty.  I am sitting here in the office by myself and answering the phones and emails as needed.

As depressing as things are getting, I still have lots of reasons to be thankful.  I am not going to bore anyone with listing them all out one by one.  But, I will mention that I am extremely thankful for not having to worry about whether I have enough chew stockpiled to make it through a prolonged quarantine.

Reach out man if you need anything. People here care about you. It will get better.
Nice work man
Just one is right back to where you were and where you were was desperately wishing you were where you are now.- Via Flip
"But KNOW that quitting every day means that eventually you'll have to quit on the day Lassie kicks the bucket" - ZAM
My Intro
My HOF Speech

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1619
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
Day 808

Jan19

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
Day 808

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »
Day 808

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2020, 06:40:55 AM »
Anyone seen Hundy? I heard Kybo ate him. That's right, Kybo ate Hundy!
Kybo my man! I knew you'd do it! up an slayed the can, one day at a time your impervious plan, don'tcha know I'm your biggest fan!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
  • Quit Date: 01/02/2018
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
  • Likes Given: 971
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2020, 12:01:33 AM »
Anyone seen Hundy? I heard Kybo ate him. That's right, Kybo ate Hundy!
Be humble... grow everyday.

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH