Author Topic: Glad to be here  (Read 96695 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
Re: Jury Duty
« Reply #423 on: April 26, 2021, 10:25:38 AM »
Jury duty. As I sit here waiting for the proceedings to begin, I’m starkly aware that I’m not gutting it behind my mask wondering when we get a break so I can replace my wad. That’s exactly what I’d be doing if I hadn’t said ENOUGH! 1,212 days ago. Not now, not today, not for any reason.
I won! They picked me! I’ve been awarded six months Grand Jury Duty!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Jury Duty
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2021, 09:02:00 AM »
Jury duty. As I sit here waiting for the proceedings to begin, I’m starkly aware that I’m not gutting it behind my mask wondering when we get a break so I can replace my wad. That’s exactly what I’d be doing if I hadn’t said ENOUGH! 1,212 days ago. Not now, not today, not for any reason.
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
Re: She's learning to drive
« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2021, 08:39:50 PM »
My baby turned 16 recently so I bought her a car. Now we’re learning how to drive. The first two (her sisters) were easy. Seemed like a non-issue really; like they were born behind the wheel. Not so for the baby. It started when I told her to get in it and drive up to the house to pick me up. I watched as the car backed down the driveway into the rose bushes. She came in a few minutes later and said the car won’t go forward, it’s stuck in reverse. Well, it turns out that if you don’t start the vehicle the engine isn’t very responsive. And who knew there was so much muscle coordination executing a left turn? And when you get right down to it, driving lanes really should be wider shouldn’t they? I mean, what would be wrong with eight feet of margin on each side of the vehicle? And do they really have to plant mailboxes that close to the road? Right now I’m wondering if Uber has an annual membership. It’s not that big a deal to not get a driver license right? I mean, there’s folks what live in the big city and use mass transit their whole lives. The real deal was when the idiot on the highway in front of us came to a complete stop and decided to make a right turn. Guess they never heard of turn signals or a shoulder? She did very well. Missed ‘em by inches. "Just One" came knocking hard. Thundering really. Like my heart beat. Had I not posted a promise earlier today, I would have directed her to the nearest C-store after that one. If any excuse will do - having your life flash before your eyes is a winner. Not now, not today, not for any reason.
My daughter is a brilliant kid.
Killed it in high school.
Killing it her first year in college.

She suuuuuucks as a driver for ALL the reasons you gave and then... some specific to her.

<dad shakes head and buckles up>
The biggest issue with our 17 year old who has had a license for 8 months is the unbelievable amount and level of attitude. She generally drives too fast, distracted, with the radio too loud. But what the hell do I know, I've only been driving for 36 years. Things are probably different now, right? Luckily she has a nearly straight shot to school with only a couple turns and 10 miles on one road and a 5 minute drive to work. Good luck @Athan
Hold your breath for a year or so. Rest easy, it does get better.
Omg.

The “know it all”  >:(
Right now, she's still very afraid - there's hope!
Afraid is good, it should keep her cautious
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2021, 06:23:34 PM »
My baby turned 16 recently so I bought her a car. Now we’re learning how to drive. The first two (her sisters) were easy. Seemed like a non-issue really; like they were born behind the wheel. Not so for the baby. It started when I told her to get in it and drive up to the house to pick me up. I watched as the car backed down the driveway into the rose bushes. She came in a few minutes later and said the car won’t go forward, it’s stuck in reverse. Well, it turns out that if you don’t start the vehicle the engine isn’t very responsive. And who knew there was so much muscle coordination executing a left turn? And when you get right down to it, driving lanes really should be wider shouldn’t they? I mean, what would be wrong with eight feet of margin on each side of the vehicle? And do they really have to plant mailboxes that close to the road? Right now I’m wondering if Uber has an annual membership. It’s not that big a deal to not get a driver license right? I mean, there’s folks what live in the big city and use mass transit their whole lives. The real deal was when the idiot on the highway in front of us came to a complete stop and decided to make a right turn. Guess they never heard of turn signals or a shoulder? She did very well. Missed ‘em by inches. "Just One" came knocking hard. Thundering really. Like my heart beat. Had I not posted a promise earlier today, I would have directed her to the nearest C-store after that one. If any excuse will do - having your life flash before your eyes is a winner. Not now, not today, not for any reason.

She suuuuuucks as a driver for ALL the reasons you gave and then... some specific to her.

The biggest issue with our 17 year old who has had a license for 8 months is the unbelievable amount and level of attitude. She generally drives too fast, distracted, with the radio too loud. But what the hell do I know, I've only been driving for 36 years. Things are probably different now, right? Luckily she has a nearly straight shot to school with only a couple turns and 10 miles on one road and a 5 minute drive to work. Good luck @Athan
Omg.

Right now, she's still very afraid - there's hope!

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #419 on: April 06, 2021, 04:24:02 PM »

Omg.

Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2024
« Reply #418 on: April 06, 2021, 04:18:15 PM »

Jan19

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #417 on: April 06, 2021, 04:09:04 PM »

ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #416 on: April 06, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »

Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
She's learning to drive
« Reply #415 on: April 06, 2021, 02:11:38 PM »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
chris2alaska nails it
« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2021, 04:23:14 PM »
A sure to be timeless quote from @chris2alaska:

“Addiction: Giving up everything for one thing.

Recovery: Giving up one thing for everything.”

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
Re: Glad to be here
« Reply #413 on: March 28, 2021, 11:15:44 PM »
Hey 'JUST ONE"
You can KISS MY ASS!
 'arse'
Hell yeah!!!
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Re: Glad to be here
« Reply #412 on: March 28, 2021, 01:33:21 PM »
Hey 'JUST ONE"
You can KISS MY ASS!
 'arse'

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
A crappy experience
« Reply #411 on: March 13, 2021, 11:53:52 AM »
I’m on the road early this morning, two cups of coffee and out the door. In a rush so I didn’t take the time to wait on the morning package.  But it arrived just the same. Only I’m on the highway when it starts rap tap tapping on my back door. I spy a shopping center and exit the highway and dash on in to make a deposit. What is it with the toilet paper dispensers being under the monkey bars and 2” off the floor? Is that supposed to make it easier for the dude that’s already in the wheelchair? Whatever. I lean forward to grab some of the recycled newspaper third world product when that technological marvel of auto flush kicks in, bathing me in my own effluvia. It wouldn’t have been so bad if there was enough complementary sandpaper to finish the job, but as luck would have it, there wasn’t. I adapt and overcome only I’m now down to one sock. I make my way over to the wash station and it’s one of these infrared soap water dispenser things only not nearly as sensitive as the auto flush feature. This is compounded by the fact that there’s only 4” clearance (same guys who mounted the toilet paper dispenser?) between the intermittent water emission and the bottom of the community basin. Not an ideal situation but hey, at least I’m wearing a paper surgical mask, right?
I’ve lost all interest in the box of munchkins I’ve got  waiting in the car. I’m not even remotely interested in anything finger lickin good. Which is odd because if I was still chewing I’d have popped a lipper without a second thought just like a plumber eating a sandwich. Not now. Not today. Not for any reason.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:58:05 AM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
nick-Otine Free lays it out
« Reply #410 on: February 18, 2021, 04:18:39 PM »
I think sometimes it's easy for the veteran in me to lose sight of how intense the grind of the first couple weeks can be. Kind of a privilege to jump into a new group and walk with 'em and relive some of that - lest we lose perspective.
Here's some great advice from @nick-Otine Free re: attacking the suck...

1: Decide- Decide that the pain and struggle of quitting is enough, and through that struggle you get the greatest gift of all. A nicotine Free life.

2: Plan- Plan what you are going to do on your hard days. Those days where the itch is so strong and your mind is telling you that the quit is just not worth it. A plan for when your crave is more important than your reason. A plan for days or weekends when your standing on the edge and thinking you have it thinking your addiction is cured. Lucky There is a Forum of dick heads some where to help with this plan maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

3: Begin- Begin each and every day WUPPing, begin by taking such a hard addiction off the table for the day. Starting is pretty simple, getting on roll is pretty simple. Begin trusting others that are holding a shield next to you fighting the same fight. Begin believing that you can be Nicotine free for life. And as you begin each day the same way , they same thought process, the same wave length you will be taking another step toward your own freedom.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Samrs on the dentist visit
« Reply #409 on: January 25, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »
Well, here it is. Monday morning. Could life get any lousier than a Monday morning?

How about a Monday morning dentist appointment?

Hands up. How many of you guys get a cold sweat when you think about going to the dentist? "What will they find? What will they tell me?"

So you "quit" the night before. That'll fool 'em, sure! Extra flossing, extra brushing. Minty fresh. They might tell you your gums are receding, but that just happens, right? Besides, they've been talking about stuff like gum grafts for years, but nothing's ever come of it, so...

So maybe you wake up and gut it out. You go and white-knuckle your way through it. And as soon as your cleaning is done, you're out to your car and ripping open that can to throw one in.

Or maybe you cancel. Not that I've done that more than two or three times in a row. You really don't need your teeth cleaned that often, anyways. That's what I told myself, at least. It's just a scam, that's how they make their money. You can go every couple of years, really. If I ignore it hard enough, it's not there, right?

Fucking addicts, amirite?

I haven't had to do that mental dance for four years, now, and it feels WONDERFUL.

I just go to the dentist.

I tell my hygienist - Marge, a really great lady - I tell Marge my day count when I get into the room.

She checks me out and I know that I'm taking care of myself. Not like that idiot Addict Sam who used to go years without a checkup, let alone a cleaning.

If there's something wrong, we fix it. There was a point a couple of years ago where the doc noticed something wonky. Ended up avoiding a double root canal.

Yeah, THAT would have been fun.

You all are 20-50 days into your quit now, I think. Your mouth feels weird. I know - mine did, too. You're thinking "Crap, I quit, now I have mouth cancer?"

You don't. You know who can tell you? You know who can put your mind at ease?

Your dentist :)

Marge says hello, BTW. Time for me to get that cleaning.

You should think about getting it done, too. Trust me - you'll feel better for it.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer