Author Topic: ...and Away.We.Go !  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Dr_Dirt

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ...and Away.We.Go !
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
It has been 71 days. Wow.

Still getting a couple craves each day, but they are definitely less intense compared to a few weeks ago.

Need to keep an eye out though, since the new couple weeks are often called the 'doldrums' -- all sorts of crazy shit can sneak up on ya, or so I hear.

Note to others - Day 69 was less than stellar - Folks should plan ahead. Cash in any and all chits to make that fine quit day a little extra memorable. IMHO, of course.

Glad to be involved with the Dec12 spreadsheet - good times chatting with those fellas. The chatroom is also an excellent little corner of the internets - many fine conversations happen there daily. Both of those have been really useful ways to take some of the pressure / tension off the daily quit.

Haven't quite gotten full speed into the weight management portion of my quit - but I'm working on it.

Needs improvement -- Attitude, outlook, and work-life balance

But my quit remains strong on a daily basis. 'archer'
"Take what you need; Give what you can; Ignore the rest"

Quit Date: 18 Sept. 2012
HOF Date: 26 Dec. 2012

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Nice work Dirt. Sounds like you got your feet on the ground, one hand on your balls and the other flipping the proverbial number 1 to the nic bitch.

Keep fighting.

Offline Dr_Dirt

• Quitter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Day 29 Update

Wow, 4 fuckin' weeks without dippin'.

Of course, that doesn't make me any less of an asshole (evidence suggests otherwise), and it sure hasn't fixed all the things I've messed up.

But it does mean 4 weeks of not trying to get out of obligations (social or work-related) that would interfere with my ability to slap in a slop of Kodiak.
It means not walking around the office with a ninja-dip in, the slow drool of poisonous saliva creeping down the back of my throat. :ph43r:
It means not having a dip in when I read my daughter her nighttime story.
It means not avoiding my wife for an hour or so after dinner, or an hour or so before bed.

The fog seems to be gone for the most part. But the craves are still there. Sneaky little buggers. Found myself yesterday giving myself the after-lunch pat-down without even thinking about it. My brain was just looking for its jones...little miss niccy.

I still have not figured out how to minimize those craves, especially when they come crashing down on my mind. I've tried to ignore them...that really taxes my nerves, always on the lookout. Another way is to ride it out, like a wave - that seems to work, but it is going to take a lot more practice.

Currently using sugar-free gum (no panacea) and sunflower seeds. Found out that you can't chain-chew the gum all day - especially if you don't eat much. That crap stimulates the production of stomach acid and tries to eat through your guts. Still working out a reasonable system for the sunflowers - not outside so much, so the shells are an issue. Ended up swallowing a few of those bad boys last week, after the shells had been cracked - things were a little exciting sunday morning. 'Crazy'

Next steps: Outline ways to build things back up that I'd lost when I was a dipper. This mess ain't going to fix itself. Ran 5 miles last week, will start building on that this week. Find effective ways to manage mood swings (both those due to the nic bitch, or otherwise), and implement them. Sleep more.

The day to day strides of my quit are solid. Get up, post roll. Honor that statement all day. Sleep. Rinse, lather and repeat - as they say. That shit works

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Quote from: Dr_Dirt
Day 12 blows.

Got into it w/ the missus - probably have a few nights on the couch in my future

Excellent flaming headache all day. Not quite like day 2, a little less fog...but definitely the rusty nails behind the eyeballs

Kept reaching for a nonexistent tin...all day.

I'm getting pretty sick of the minty gum. Damn near over did those pickle flavored sunflower seeds. Cracked out on a big halloween-sized bag of MM's... with all the salt and sugar today I guess it's no wonder my head is splittin'

Still - had no dip today. Didn't even really want one - body was just reachin' for one I suppose. It'll be a pretty sweet day when that passes...

Been a class-9 asshole for a couple days now. Will try to back that down a notch tomorrow

Seems a little early for the week-2 funk. Maybe I need to go for a run tomorrow
It will happen throughout the journey you can count on that. Time between spells of assholeitis will get longer as well. It is hard but that is why the site is here. Get in here and bitch and rant and be an asshole. Don't be one to those who are standing beside you supporting your quit. Get in here and rage on us, vent, cool off, and go back and tell the better half "thanks for all the love and support". Shoot me a PM if you need some digits, I've got big shoulders, dump it on me.

Offline Dr_Dirt

• Quitter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Day 12 blows.

Got into it w/ the missus - probably have a few nights on the couch in my future

Excellent flaming headache all day. Not quite like day 2, a little less fog...but definitely the rusty nails behind the eyeballs

Kept reaching for a nonexistent tin...all day.

I'm getting pretty sick of the minty gum. Damn near over did those pickle flavored sunflower seeds. Cracked out on a big halloween-sized bag of MM's... with all the salt and sugar today I guess it's no wonder my head is splittin'

Still - had no dip today. Didn't even really want one - body was just reachin' for one I suppose. It'll be a pretty sweet day when that passes...

Been a class-9 asshole for a couple days now. Will try to back that down a notch tomorrow

Seems a little early for the week-2 funk. Maybe I need to go for a run tomorrow

Offline mfkuss

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Movies, Spending time with my family
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
A little update. Day 10. Woot!

Tricky triggers:
1) After meals (definitely)
2) When I slide into my desk and start cranking on the workstation in the morning
3) randomly...

Found myself reaching for my back pocket and/or my bag looking for my tin...fingers with a mind of their own I guess. Have tried to just settle down and breathe through the crave (wave? ride the crave wave?!), and that pretty much requires constant vigilance.

More commonly I pop a cough drop or piece of gum in to settle that down. Sunflower seeds are good (they're not sweet, helps w/ the post-meal crave), but they slice my gums like a mofo - I also don't think the secretary is too down w/ my jug of sunflower husks and old coffee. I also just snap my teeth together chomp. That works pretty well

Also - can't figure out how to get edit access to the Dec12 spreadsheet to help w/ the roll accounting. Not sure if this is too much - but that sheet does look purty.
LCBW has the access now...I know he wants some help...I offered as well... right now he is trying to figure out how to "share" editing access.

Offline Dr_Dirt

• Quitter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
A little update. Day 10. Woot!

Tricky triggers:
1) After meals (definitely)
2) When I slide into my desk and start cranking on the workstation in the morning
3) randomly...

Found myself reaching for my back pocket and/or my bag looking for my tin...fingers with a mind of their own I guess. Have tried to just settle down and breathe through the crave (wave? ride the crave wave?!), and that pretty much requires constant vigilance.

More commonly I pop a cough drop or piece of gum in to settle that down. Sunflower seeds are good (they're not sweet, helps w/ the post-meal crave), but they slice my gums like a mofo - I also don't think the secretary is too down w/ my jug of sunflower husks and old coffee. I also just snap my teeth together chomp. That works pretty well

Also - can't figure out how to get edit access to the Dec12 spreadsheet to help w/ the roll accounting. Not sure if this is too much - but that sheet does look purty.

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
 Tic tock mr dirt, the time is later than you think.
 There is no tomorrow

I posted roll this mornin'... Whazzup?
Kick ass!!!! My bad I missed it entirely. Yoda thinks the quit is strong in you. Grit your teeth, and put on yer helmet. 72 hrs until your nic free. Welcome to the suck. Embrace it. It is the price you pay to earn your freedom.

Congrats on day one
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline Dr_Dirt

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
 There is no tomorrow

I posted roll this mornin'... Whazzup?

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Quote from: Eric71
Quote from: Skoal
Quote from: Wedge
Quote from: kana
End of a long day.

Stood with my wife as I dumped the last Kodiak tin into the toilet and flushed it down.� I can't say that I didn't flinch a little when it disappeared down the hole.

Lots of coughing and hacking today, I guess still getting over that damn cold from last week.

Anyway, I guess I didn't read that Bolded Underlined in Red statement in the Roll Call this morning, but I don't care.

The thing of it is, I am now counting days that I haven't had a dip, and I am counting down to the day without any nicotine at all (day -4).� These thoughts weren't even in my mind before I started last Friday.� It's going to be rough, but it's going to work and it is going to be awesome.

SK and SD, thanks for the replies.

I'll be back in the morning
Why wait? And for the record if you insist on using lozenges , you need to use them as prescribed.

Also some math- can of Kodiak has 12mg of nicotine per gram , roughly an ounce in a can or 28 grams . This is approx 336 mg of nic per can. You mentioned a can every four to five days. So 336 divided by 4= 84mg per day . At 5 days per can its 67.2 .

Assuming the nic range of 67-84 Per day is your use and your sucking on 4mg lozenges you'd need between 17 -21 lozenges per day . So , your either sucking a lozenge every 30 to 50 minutes all day or your feeling withdrawal. You state your usage is "4 fri, 5 sat , and 1 Sunday." so way less.

My point is your only prolonging your withdrawal symptoms , your quitting despite the lozenges not because of them. Put on your big boy pants and lets get this done. Just jump, I promise the waters just fine
Listen to the monster... last year I stopped chewing for 8 months. nic gum the whole time. what a joke.. I was a grouch.. waste of money..You're not addicted to kodiak, you're addicted to nicotine..Nicotine is poison my friend. The big boys know the difference. set yourself free!
I've been down your road, and it doesn't work.. like the monster said,
the waters fine...
Dirt posted roll yesterday I do believe, or someone posted for him. Can't do that until the lozenges find their way into the toilet too.
Bite me wedge
Careful dirt, wedge DOES bite.....well he uses too much teeth anyhow. But seriously what say we forget about your better mousetrap baloney of yours and quit today. The time is now. The past is gone and the future is only a dream. I dipped 2 cans a day for years , others here used far more than me. If we can do it so can you. It's easier than you think . I've stood in your shoes and so has wedge. We know the way out, let's flush the nicotine candy, stop enticing wedge to nibble on your ear and lets fucking do this.

sM
I'll be waiting with those who have the balls to quit and not suck on some testicle shaped nicotine fix to supposedly wean themselves. Man up or go play in the sandbox of death with your friend Nic
There is no tomorrow
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:48:00 AM »
End of a long day.

Stood with my wife as I dumped the last Kodiak tin into the toilet and flushed it down.� I can't say that I didn't flinch a little when it disappeared down the hole.

Lots of coughing and hacking today, I guess still getting over that damn cold from last week.

Anyway, I guess I didn't read that Bolded Underlined in Red statement in the Roll Call this morning, but I don't care.

The thing of it is, I am now counting days that I haven't had a dip, and I am counting down to the day without any nicotine at all (day -4).� These thoughts weren't even in my mind before I started last Friday.� It's going to be rough, but it's going to work and it is going to be awesome.

Why wait? And for the record if you insist on using lozenges , you need to use them as prescribed.

Also some math- can of Kodiak has 12mg of nicotine per gram , roughly an ounce in a can or 28 grams . This is approx 336 mg of nic per can. You mentioned a can every four to five days. So 336 divided by 4= 84mg per day . At 5 days per can its 67.2 .

Assuming the nic range of 67-84 Per day is your use and your sucking on 4mg lozenges you'd need between 17 -21 lozenges per day . So , your either sucking a lozenge every 30 to 50 minutes all day or your feeling withdrawal. You state your usage is "4 fri, 5 sat , and 1 Sunday." so way less.

My point is your only prolonging your withdrawal symptoms , your quitting despite the lozenges not because of them. Put on your big boy pants and lets get this done. Just jump, I promise the waters just fine
Listen to the monster... last year I stopped chewing for 8 months. nic gum the whole time. what a joke.. I was a grouch.. waste of money..You're not addicted to kodiak, you're addicted to nicotine..Nicotine is poison my friend. The big boys know the difference. set yourself free!
the waters fine...
Dirt posted roll yesterday I do believe, or someone posted for him. Can't do that until the lozenges find their way into the toilet too.
Bite me wedge
Careful dirt, wedge DOES bite.....well he uses too much teeth anyhow. But seriously what say we forget about your better mousetrap baloney of yours and quit today. The time is now. The past is gone and the future is only a dream. I dipped 2 cans a day for years , others here used far more than me. If we can do it so can you. It's easier than you think . I've stood in your shoes and so has wedge. We know the way out, let's flush the nicotine candy, stop enticing wedge to nibble on your ear and lets fucking do this.

sM
I'll be waiting with those who have the balls to quit and not suck on some testicle shaped nicotine fix to supposedly wean themselves. Man up or go play in the sandbox of death with your friend Nic

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
End of a long day.

Stood with my wife as I dumped the last Kodiak tin into the toilet and flushed it down.  I can't say that I didn't flinch a little when it disappeared down the hole.

The thing of it is, I am now counting days that I haven't had a dip, and I am counting down to the day without any nicotine at all (day -4).  These thoughts weren't even in my mind before I started last Friday.  It's going to be rough, but it's going to work and it is going to be awesome.

the waters fine...
Bite me wedge

sM

Offline Dr_Dirt

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
End of a long day.

Stood with my wife as I dumped the last Kodiak tin into the toilet and flushed it down.  I can't say that I didn't flinch a little when it disappeared down the hole.

The thing of it is, I am now counting days that I haven't had a dip, and I am counting down to the day without any nicotine at all (day -4).  These thoughts weren't even in my mind before I started last Friday.  It's going to be rough, but it's going to work and it is going to be awesome.

the waters fine...
Bite me wedge

Offline Wedge

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
End of a long day.

the waters fine...

Offline kana

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
End of a long day.

the waters fine...
we choose our battles.. the battles we do fight, be aware that they have to be, but passion rules? James Hetfield