Author Topic: I can't believe this will be the hardest thing...  (Read 7266 times)

Offline Wedge

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I can't believe this will be the hardest thing...
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Same Kubrick, you have my number as well.

Offline Buddy Mac

• Quitter
  • Interests: My two daughters and wife, watching all sports, playing golf
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Quote from: Kubrick
Thanks for all the help. I'm chewing the crap out of all 6 flavors of the hooch sampler I got a couple of weeks ago. It's staving off the craves. I don't really want a dip, but the craves haven't been this bad since the first couple of weeks.

I'm fine, just weird that they would return with a vengeance.

My dip dream last night was actually way more than a dip dream, it was an every nicotine delivery method I have every tried dream. I used to smoke as well as chew, since smoking was far more socially acceptable at my last job and it got me away from the desk and allowed to shoot the shit with co-workers.

But I haven't had a smoke in 5-6 years, but in my dream I was smoking and chewing and doing all other kinds of weird shit. Really thought I had a chew in, but then I finally woke and realized it was not real. Thank god, because I never want to be a slave to that crap again. I'll take freedom and craves over slavery every time.
Hang tough Kub. Give me a shout if you need, anytime brother. Your quit is strong lets keep it that way....
Buddy Mac

Offline Kubrick

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 3/24/2012
  • Interests: Guiar, bass guitar, Flyfishing, shooting, photography
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I'm chewing the crap out of all 6 flavors of the hooch sampler I got a couple of weeks ago. It's staving off the craves. I don't really want a dip, but the craves haven't been this bad since the first couple of weeks.

I'm fine, just weird that they would return with a vengeance.

My dip dream last night was actually way more than a dip dream, it was an every nicotine delivery method I have every tried dream. I used to smoke as well as chew, since smoking was far more socially acceptable at my last job and it got me away from the desk and allowed to shoot the shit with co-workers.

But I haven't had a smoke in 5-6 years, but in my dream I was smoking and chewing and doing all other kinds of weird shit. Really thought I had a chew in, but then I finally woke and realized it was not real. Thank god, because I never want to be a slave to that crap again. I'll take freedom and craves over slavery every time.
Quit date 03/24/2012
HOF date 07/01/2012

"The only regret I ever see on this site is from those who fail..." - Sac

My Intro

Offline Nolaq

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Quote from: bigbamadan
Quote from: carumba10
So here I am 61 days in.

This week has been shitty. I am craving like it's the first week again, I have no idea why. I even had my first dip dream(that I remember) last night, it was nuts. That nic bitch is sneaky isn't she? And here I thought I would be on cruise control at 60 days, but nope, all I can think about is a dip. Fuck me.

The good news is it appears my taste buds have returned as food is now extremely salty. I was eating some ham and it tasted like someone was pouring salt in my mouth.
I hear ya man. Hang in there.
A funk around this point is very common. 50 - 75 were awful for me. I think at that point my brain started going something along the lines of..."so we're really doing this huh?? Not just one of them 1/2 ass past attempts."

That's when the nic bitch starts throwing back all the crazy shit to fuck with your head. You will get through it. Do the same thing that has gotten you to this point. Post your word. Keep your word. Repeat.
What Dan said.

Head down, keep humpin' Marine. It gets better, and it doesn't last forever.

PM me if you need anything.
What is your major malfunction?!?!?!?!

Offline bigbamadan

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-03-23
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Quote from: carumba10
So here I am 61 days in.

This week has been shitty. I am craving like it's the first week again, I have no idea why. I even had my first dip dream(that I remember) last night, it was nuts. That nic bitch is sneaky isn't she? And here I thought I would be on cruise control at 60 days, but nope, all I can think about is a dip. Fuck me.

The good news is it appears my taste buds have returned as food is now extremely salty. I was eating some ham and it tasted like someone was pouring salt in my mouth.
A funk around this point is very common. 50 - 75 were awful for me. I think at that point my brain started going something along the lines of..."so we're really doing this huh?? Not just one of them 1/2 ass past attempts."

That's when the nic bitch starts throwing back all the crazy shit to fuck with your head. You will get through it. Do the same thing that has gotten you to this point. Post your word. Keep your word. Repeat.
Quit: 3/23/10
All good things in all good time.

Offline carumba10

• Quitter
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
So here I am 61 days in.

Quit Date: March 23 2012

I am Quit today. Tomorrow ?
Not impressed with rants from the 'Do As I Say Not As I Do' crowd.

Offline Grizzly25

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Every and all sports, fishing and hunting.
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
So here I am 61 days in.

Stay strong and near the site bro, these funks sneak up on you when they want to!

They test your determination and resolve but always remember you are the one who is in control and chooses not the nic bitch!

Stay Strong, Focused  QUIT!!!!

You got this Bro!
"Remember you are either getting better or getting worse, nobody stays the same!" Woody Hayes

"Winning! That's all we do around here brotha! Failure is not an option, remove it as an option and the possibilities are endless...." Bruce317 5-18-2012

"...We'll be heroes or ghosts...But we won't be turned around." Wastepanel 6-15-2012

"A QUITTER NEVER HAS TO GO THROUGH THE SUCK AGAIN!" tgafish 6-1-2012

QUIT LIKE FUCK MY BITCHES!!!

PATIENCE LIKE FUCK MY BITCHES!!!

Quit Date: 2-6-2012
HOF Date: 5-16-2012
HOF Speech

Offline Kubrick

• Quitter
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
So here I am 61 days in.

Quit date 03/24/2012
HOF date 07/01/2012

My Intro

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Quote from: Mthomas3824
Day 33.

Wow over a month, I certainly didn't think my weak, addicted ass would make it this far.

Around here, a can of Copenhagen long cut costs $6.59 (aren't sin taxes great!). I went through a can a day so as of today, I have saved $217.47 by not buying that worm dirt.

I honor of my 30 day milestone and for saving a few dollars I went ahead moved $250 to my savings account. Fuck you big tobacco, you aren't getting anymore of my money it's all mine now.
Cool post. I am doing the same. At 50 days, I am going to buy a KTC hat, at 75 I will get the shirt, and at 100 I am going to get the coin. After that, the money that I didn't waste to tobacco will go to collecting guns.

As an added security measure, If I ever caved, all the money in that account gets donated to KTC to fight tobacco. As long as I stay quit, I will be able to purchase guns every 100 days.

It makes quitting fun!!! Still as this adds up, I can't believe the money I wasted over the years.
The $$ issue is unbelievable isn't it. I was figuring my usage and thought I must have put the decimal in the wrong place, I could have bought a pickup. That is frickin stupid.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Day 33.

Wow over a month, I certainly didn't think my weak, addicted ass would make it this far.

Around here, a can of Copenhagen long cut costs $6.59 (aren't sin taxes great!). I went through a can a day so as of today, I have saved $217.47 by not buying that worm dirt.

I honor of my 30 day milestone and for saving a few dollars I went ahead moved $250 to my savings account. Fuck you big tobacco, you aren't getting anymore of my money it's all mine now.
Cool post. I am doing the same. At 50 days, I am going to buy a KTC hat, at 75 I will get the shirt, and at 100 I am going to get the coin. After that, the money that I didn't waste to tobacco will go to collecting guns.

As an added security measure, If I ever caved, all the money in that account gets donated to KTC to fight tobacco. As long as I stay quit, I will be able to purchase guns every 100 days.

It makes quitting fun!!! Still as this adds up, I can't believe the money I wasted over the years.
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech

Offline Kubrick

• Quitter
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Day 33.

Quit date 03/24/2012
HOF date 07/01/2012

My Intro

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
I'm not sure when the checking for my can in my pocket before I leave, or checking for my can before I take a shower or checking for it any other time will stop being a habit. Probably a long time since I've been doing it for over 20 years.
Here's something I posted a couple months ago:
Day 123

You never know when the bitch might be hanging out right around the next corner...keep your guard up.

On Wednesday morning of this week I changed up my routine just a bit. We hold an occupational health and safety conference at our hospital every year and this time I attended. So, I park in the same area of the parking garage every day and I walk down the 4 flights of stairs. The only difference on Wednesday was that I didn't have my back pack...going to the conference I wouldn't need it.

Well...somewhere between the second and third floor I stopped and thought "Shit, I forgot to grab my Copenhagen" since I normally kept my tins in my back pack. I actually turned around and took two or three steps back up towards my truck before I remembered that I don't do that shit anymore. If that didn't drive home the realization that I'm an addict and always will be, nothing will. That realization really hit me hard.
You may never get over it. As far as I can tell, addiction is for life and we have to fight that addiction every day for the rest of our lives. It absolutely does get easier as time passes, but it's never really gone. She's always waiting for you around the next corner and you never know when she's going to jump out and whack you in the back of the head.

The fact that you're considering these things tells me that you're doing it right. Take a little time to just sit down and think about what your triggers are. Sitting at the computer, driving, cutting the grass, sitting on the shitter, sawdust therapy in the garage, recoil therapy at the range...all of these were my triggers for wanting a dip. When I listed them all out I came up with strategies for how to deal with them. I was amazed at what I could do without a dip, and you will be too. You're on the right track, keep up the strong work. You'll have good days and you'll have absolutely shitty days, it's how you react to them that will make all the difference. You got this...
'archer'

Offline rgross298

• Quitter
  • F Tobacco.
  • Quit Date: 02/19/2012
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
One week ago, I woke up and decided I was going to see how long I could go without putting a dip in. I had not really planned this quit other than the though that is always in the back of your mind about how bad it is for you, how expensive it is, etc.

Just thought I would share some of my experiences during this first week. This will probably be a bit long winded so I don't blame you for skipping it :P

Days 1-2
I picked a hell of a week to stop dipping. I work in IT, so we have an on call rotation and get called when production systems have problems. So my dumb ass decides to quit with 4 days left in my rotation. Brilliant! And wouldn't you know it, on Sunday, I have a call to work on something that should have been a pretty quick 45 min-1 hour thing, but instead it turned into an 8 hour ordeal involving rollbacks and database restores. Needless to say, it was quite stressful and would have been damn easy to cave. Luckily, I had dumped the 3/4 of a can I had left over after I had made the commitment on this site Saturday afternoon. So no cave for me. I think if I had been going at it alone, a cave would have happened on day 2.

Days 3-4
The first 3 days were actually pretty easy for me. Sure, the craving was there and I felt a bit "off", but it didn't seem as bad as all the stuff I had been reading. Then Day four happened. Actually it started about 8pm on day 3. I just couldn't keep my eyes open so went to bed about 8:30pm and slept for 11 hours. That blew my mind because I'm usually a 6-7 hour sleeper even with no alarm clock. Woke up day four and felt like a tank was sitting on my chest. I was stuffed up, coughing, head hurt, sore throat and my body ached all over and felt like it was caving in on me. To top that all off, I was craving a dip like nobody's business. Thankfully I work from home, so my boss or other co-workers didn't have to see me sitting at my desk just staring into space. I finally realized what this fog thing everyone was talking about. I still think I have picked up a cold along with my quit because I still have a stuffy nose, sore throat and a cough. But I guess it could be all due to the nicotine withdrawals. Withdrawal symptoms like that make me glad I'm not addicted to heroin or alcohol where you can die if go cold turkey. Regardless, this felt pretty damn bad, but I think this was the worst of it and I made it through - thanks to this place. If was trying this out on my own, I would not be typing this to you today, but instead sitting here with a dip in my lip paying good money to kill myself.

Days 5-8
Cravings are always there for the most part. I curb them with coffee grounds, yerba mate tea leaves or gum. Seems to work. Now that chew is no longer in my life, I have realized how much I was using that crap. I notice every time I reach for my can just how often I was putting a fatty in my lip. I'm not sure when the checking for my can in my pocket before I leave, or checking for my can before I take a shower or checking for it any other time will stop being a habit. Probably a long time since I've been doing it for over 20 years. The good thing is thanks to awesome quitters on this site, I don't need that shit ever again.

Sure I want a chew, and the gnawing is pretty constant still, but even though it's only been a week, I already prefer the freedom of not worrying about how full my can is or worrying about if I'll be able to sneak a chew in during a social call or hiding my cans and spitters when folks come over that don't know I chew(ed). The craving sucks, but is just a reminder about how stupid I was to start that stuff and to keep using it for 22 years. This new found freedom from it is incredible. No longer am I a slave to the can!

Thanks to the people who started this site and would give a random stranger their phone number and actually care enough. Without this place, I certainly would not have made it 8 days and won't make it the next 8 without them either.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear. Now I'm off to the gunshow to hopefully find a good deal 'Remshot'
We live nearly parallel lives. Great post bro, reinforces my quit. I feel the same as you about the time and energy I put into tobacco every freaking day -- it was constantly on my mind, yet I don't recall thinking that it was.

The freedom now is great. Keep up the good fight, we will win together. A big F-OFF to the tobacco companies and convenience store clerks today.

Offline icepig

• Quitter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Sounds like your on the right track! Keep your daily goal in mind and don't give up on yourself. Good Quit!

Offline Mthomas3824

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2012-03-14
  • Interests: Living my life and never turning back to the can of lies.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
One week ago, I woke up and decided I was going to see how long I could go without putting a dip in. I had not really planned this quit other than the though that is always in the back of your mind about how bad it is for you, how expensive it is, etc.

Just thought I would share some of my experiences during this first week. This will probably be a bit long winded so I don't blame you for skipping it  :P

Days 1-2
I picked a hell of a week to stop dipping. I work in IT, so we have an on call rotation and get called when production systems have problems. So my dumb ass decides to quit with 4 days left in my rotation. Brilliant! And wouldn't you know it, on Sunday, I have a call to work on something that should have been a pretty quick 45 min-1 hour thing, but instead it turned into an 8 hour ordeal involving rollbacks and database restores. Needless to say, it was quite stressful and would have been damn easy to cave. Luckily, I had dumped the 3/4 of a can I had left over after I had made the commitment on this site Saturday afternoon. So no cave for me. I think if I had been going at it alone, a cave would have happened on day 2.

Days 3-4
The first 3 days were actually pretty easy for me. Sure, the craving was there and I felt a bit "off", but it didn't seem as bad as all the stuff I had been reading. Then Day four happened. Actually it started about 8pm on day 3. I just couldn't keep my eyes open so went to bed about 8:30pm and slept for 11 hours. That blew my mind because I'm usually a 6-7 hour sleeper even with no alarm clock. Woke up day four and felt like a tank was sitting on my chest. I was stuffed up, coughing, head hurt, sore throat and my body ached all over and felt like it was caving in on me. To top that all off, I was craving a dip like nobody's business. Thankfully I work from home, so my boss or other co-workers didn't have to see me sitting at my desk just staring into space. I finally realized what this fog thing everyone was talking about. I still think I have picked up a cold along with my quit because I still have a stuffy nose, sore throat and a cough. But I guess it could be all due to the nicotine withdrawals. Withdrawal symptoms like that make me glad I'm not addicted to heroin or alcohol where you can die if go cold turkey. Regardless, this felt pretty damn bad, but I think this was the worst of it and I made it through - thanks to this place. If was trying this out on my own, I would not be typing this to you today, but instead sitting here with a dip in my lip paying good money to kill myself.

Days 5-8
  Cravings are always there for the most part. I curb them with coffee grounds, yerba mate tea leaves or gum. Seems to work. Now that chew is no longer in my life, I have realized how much I was using that crap. I notice every time I reach for my can just how often I was putting a fatty in my lip. I'm not sure when the checking for my can in my pocket before I leave, or checking for my can before I take a shower or checking for it any other time will stop being a habit. Probably a long time since I've been doing it for over 20 years. The good thing is thanks to awesome quitters on this site, I don't need that shit ever again.

Sure I want a chew, and the gnawing is pretty constant still, but even though it's only been a week, I already prefer the freedom of not worrying about how full my can is or worrying about if I'll be able to sneak a chew in during a social call or hiding my cans and spitters when folks come over that don't know I chew(ed). The craving sucks, but is just a reminder about how stupid I was to start that stuff and to keep using it for 22 years. This new found freedom from it is incredible. No longer am I a slave to the can!

Thanks to the people who started this site and would give a random stranger their phone number and actually care enough. Without this place, I certainly would not have made it 8 days and won't make it the next 8 without them either.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear. Now I'm off to the gunshow to hopefully find a good deal  'Remshot'
Damn. Thanks for posting. I just went down memory lane. Funny how similar it all is.

Reminds me that I never, ever, ever want to put a dip in and repeat all that bull shit.

I'm more quit today and I give credit to you for reminding me how free I am. we may be addicts but the chains of addiction will not shackle us!
Quit And Be Free

HOF Speech