Author Topic: I can't believe this will be the hardest thing...  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Kubrick

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 3/24/2012
  • Interests: Guiar, bass guitar, Flyfishing, shooting, photography
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I can't believe this will be the hardest thing...
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
One week ago, I woke up and decided I was going to see how long I could go without putting a dip in. I had not really planned this quit other than the though that is always in the back of your mind about how bad it is for you, how expensive it is, etc.

Just thought I would share some of my experiences during this first week. This will probably be a bit long winded so I don't blame you for skipping it :P

Days 1-2
I picked a hell of a week to stop dipping. I work in IT, so we have an on call rotation and get called when production systems have problems. So my dumb ass decides to quit with 4 days left in my rotation. Brilliant! And wouldn't you know it, on Sunday, I have a call to work on something that should have been a pretty quick 45 min-1 hour thing, but instead it turned into an 8 hour ordeal involving rollbacks and database restores. Needless to say, it was quite stressful and would have been damn easy to cave. Luckily, I had dumped the 3/4 of a can I had left over after I had made the commitment on this site Saturday afternoon. So no cave for me. I think if I had been going at it alone, a cave would have happened on day 2.

Days 3-4
The first 3 days were actually pretty easy for me. Sure, the craving was there and I felt a bit "off", but it didn't seem as bad as all the stuff I had been reading. Then Day four happened. Actually it started about 8pm on day 3. I just couldn't keep my eyes open so went to bed about 8:30pm and slept for 11 hours. That blew my mind because I'm usually a 6-7 hour sleeper even with no alarm clock. Woke up day four and felt like a tank was sitting on my chest. I was stuffed up, coughing, head hurt, sore throat and my body ached all over and felt like it was caving in on me. To top that all off, I was craving a dip like nobody's business. Thankfully I work from home, so my boss or other co-workers didn't have to see me sitting at my desk just staring into space. I finally realized what this fog thing everyone was talking about. I still think I have picked up a cold along with my quit because I still have a stuffy nose, sore throat and a cough. But I guess it could be all due to the nicotine withdrawals. Withdrawal symptoms like that make me glad I'm not addicted to heroin or alcohol where you can die if go cold turkey. Regardless, this felt pretty damn bad, but I think this was the worst of it and I made it through - thanks to this place. If was trying this out on my own, I would not be typing this to you today, but instead sitting here with a dip in my lip paying good money to kill myself.

Days 5-8
Cravings are always there for the most part. I curb them with coffee grounds, yerba mate tea leaves or gum. Seems to work. Now that chew is no longer in my life, I have realized how much I was using that crap. I notice every time I reach for my can just how often I was putting a fatty in my lip. I'm not sure when the checking for my can in my pocket before I leave, or checking for my can before I take a shower or checking for it any other time will stop being a habit. Probably a long time since I've been doing it for over 20 years. The good thing is thanks to awesome quitters on this site, I don't need that shit ever again.

Sure I want a chew, and the gnawing is pretty constant still, but even though it's only been a week, I already prefer the freedom of not worrying about how full my can is or worrying about if I'll be able to sneak a chew in during a social call or hiding my cans and spitters when folks come over that don't know I chew(ed). The craving sucks, but is just a reminder about how stupid I was to start that stuff and to keep using it for 22 years. This new found freedom from it is incredible. No longer am I a slave to the can!

Thanks to the people who started this site and would give a random stranger their phone number and actually care enough. Without this place, I certainly would not have made it 8 days and won't make it the next 8 without them either.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear. Now I'm off to the gunshow to hopefully find a good deal 'Remshot'
Quit date 03/24/2012
HOF date 07/01/2012

"The only regret I ever see on this site is from those who fail..." - Sac

My Intro

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Welcome aboard! I just sent you a PM but I wanted to jump in here too. These guys who've posted below will be your strongest supporters as you work you way through your quit. Lean on them, and let them lean on you...it's all about holding each other accountable...together you can beat the bitch. Get some numbers of your quit brothers and sisters and reach out to them when you need to...don't be afraid to call someone.

You got this and we've got your back. Glad to be quit with you today... 'archer'

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Quote from: Coach
All this 100% talk gives me quit chub.
So does the wind, goats, sheep and leprechauns :o
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline tony

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Beating that desire to put some dip in your lip after you eat can be one of the hardest parts of this, some of the things I found that help are chewing some gum right after you eat, or even just going and brushing your teeth.

You've got this with the one day at a time mindset. I've pmed you my number if you need something, I'm also in July with you.
Quit since 3/25/12

Offline Coach Steve

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Being quit. Staying quit. Pretty much just quitting like fuck.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
All this 100% talk gives me quit chub. You must maintain that attitude. Keep posting up Kubrick and give your quit everything you've got. Is your first name Stanley?
Make Your Decision

Offline T-Cell

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 2012-02-10
  • Interests: Flyfishing, ice hockey (go Avs, go Pioneers!).Wife Sandra, 2 adult kids.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Quote from: Kubrick
Thanks for the replies. Eating is the hardest part right now because I'm so used to having a dip after, bt so far so good at the 24 hr mark. I know you vets have seen many people come and go so I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass and say I'll be perfect. At this point, all I can do is take it one min/hour/day at a time. as of this moment, as much as my brain is begging me to give it the nicotine fix it wants, I'm not listening to it. After 22 years I'm sick of being a slave to a can of plant matter that has already shortened my life. This quit is 100% for me and me only.
That's the right spirit! You can do this! Post roll, quit each day.
Hang in brother.
Fish, eat, sleep. Repeat.
quit date 2/10/12
HOF date 5/19/12
1 Year 2/10/13
2 Years 2/10/14
8th Floor 4/19/14

Offline cbird65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Own it or be OWNED by it
  • Quit Date: 12-31-2011
  • Interests: trying to follow in His footsteps, loving my bride and renewing my quit daily
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »
You are surrounded here with guys with strong quit- many I post with every day-

It's a black and white decision. Notice I didnÂ’t say an easy one. You posted up yesterday.

Now repeat
Believe Me

FLOOR 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ,11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19,, 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29,,, 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
 ,,,,41 42 43 44 45

Assurance

Offline bigwhitebeast

• Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Eating is the hardest part right now because I'm so used to having a dip after, bt so far so good at the 24 hr mark. I know you vets have seen many people come and go so I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass and say I'll be perfect. At this point, all I can do is take it one min/hour/day at a time. as of this moment, as much as my brain is begging me to give it the nicotine fix it wants, I'm not listening to it. After 22 years I'm sick of being a slave to a can of plant matter that has already shortened my life. This quit is 100% for me and me only.
Nice words Kubrick, that is the attitude to have and the mentaility to make it, one day at a time and all for you, keep up the good work and let us know if we can help you in any way, let me know if I can help also.

Stay quit my friend

Offline Kubrick

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »
Quit date 03/24/2012
HOF date 07/01/2012

My Intro

Offline RAZD611

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Untied and Unfiltered
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, Hunting, Sports.
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
..that I have ever done. I took my last dip about 11pm last night. So I'm about 15 hours in so far and it sucks!

I am 38 and started chewing when I was about 14 with it becoming a regular habit by 16. The longest I have ever gone without a chew is 3 months when I was in Boot camp. That was back in 1992. I've tried a few times over the years to quit with most attempts last a day or less. For some reason this time seems different, but we'll see. I had not actually planned this at all. You'll see I joined KTC back in January, but never quit. I just woke up today for some reason and said "eff it, no more chew". Which is weird since the first thing I normally do after I get up is put a dip in.

I have a nice coffee ground dip in right now, which has certainly taken the edge off a bit. I'm also going out with some friends later so that should take my mind off of things.

I think the hardest part for me will be when I have to work again on Monday. See I work from home at the computer all day and it makes it very, very easy to chew tobacco all day. Guess I'll be chewing a pound of coffee a day instead ^_^

Anyway, I'm not very good at the support group thing since I've always been one to do things on my own so this is a stretch for me.
Just like you. One day at 5pm I just said eff it I am all done with this shit. You will be too.

Balls in or nothing. You don't do that shit anymore.

You can and will do this.
Never Again For Any Reason

Hurt Feelings Report
https://ibb.co/NCwvw7t

Offline parry8587

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: May 15, 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Quote from: Coach
Dude, I'm going to be brutally honest with you right now before you hear it from several others. The "eh, fuck it, why not, just don't feel like it" start is going to make or break your quit. You either need to: a) Decide that this is it and you're fucking tired of being a nicotine addict slave; or 2) Risk failure because you could never get past the "eh fuck it" start.

I'm here for support and not to beat you down. But I have to know that I'm getting your 100% and right now it doesn't sound like it.

This is your life man, don't fuck around with it.

We Quit Like Fuck.

Go to July 12 and post your promise and Day 2 (since you quit yesterday). Welcome.
Kub, glad to see you posted in July '12. Coach Steve is right. Commit yourself 100% to this quit. By this time, you already have one of the hardest parts done. I can't even explain to you how much better it gets with each day quit. I didn't think it was possible when I was in your shoes 315 days ago, but it's very possible and there is no reason you can't do it. Keep chewin those coffee grounds...whatever you gotta do to keep dip out of your mouth. Let me know if you need anything.

P.S. - I'm the same as you, I like to do shit on my own. But this site is full of amazing people and tools to help you in your journey to be nic free. Use what works for you and don't worry about the rest. If you get on here, post roll, and keep your word everyday...nothing can stop you.

Offline Coach Steve

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Being quit. Staying quit. Pretty much just quitting like fuck.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Dude, I'm going to be brutally honest with you right now before you hear it from several others. The "eh, fuck it, why not, just don't feel like it" start is going to make or break your quit. You either need to: a) Decide that this is it and you're fucking tired of being a nicotine addict slave; or 2) Risk failure because you could never get past the "eh fuck it" start.

I'm here for support and not to beat you down. But I have to know that I'm getting your 100% and right now it doesn't sound like it.

This is your life man, don't fuck around with it.

We Quit Like Fuck.

Go to July 12 and post your promise and Day 2 (since you quit yesterday). Welcome.
Make Your Decision

Offline Bruce

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Quit Date: 2011-11-21
  • Interests: Long walks on the beach, cuddling up next to that special someone in front of a fire, just watching the sunset, and titty bars.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
Quote from: Bruce317
..that I have ever done. I took my last dip about 11pm last night. So I'm about 15 hours in so far and it sucks!

I am 38 and started chewing when I was about 14 with it becoming a regular habit by 16. The longest I have ever gone without a chew is 3 months when I was in Boot camp. That was back in 1992.  I've tried a few times over the years to quit with most attempts last a day or less. For some reason this time seems different, but we'll see. I had not actually planned this at all. You'll see I joined KTC back in January, but never quit. I just woke up today for some reason and said "eff it, no more chew". Which is weird since the first thing I normally do after I get up is put a dip in.

I have a nice coffee ground dip in right now, which has certainly taken the edge off a bit. I'm also going out with some friends later so that should take my mind off of things.

I think the hardest part for me will be when I have to work again on Monday. See I work from home at the computer all day and it makes it very, very easy to chew tobacco all day. Guess I'll be chewing a pound of coffee a day instead  ^_^

Anyway, I'm not very good at the support group thing since I've always been one to do things on my own so this is a stretch for me.
Welcome...back, and congrats on the quit.

Fuck yea man, it sucks, but embrace the suck, its a great reminder. It's not gonna be easy, but that's why were here. Accountability bro, giving ur word everyday that you will not use nicotine for that day. Go find your quit group, July '12 and I believe you're the first so far, it just opened up today. To learn how to post roll, go to the welcome center.

Read everything you can here, go to chat...a lot of support to be found here if you want it.
Looks like you found your quit group already, good job man. You can do this, we have your back.

Pm me if you want my number

Glad to be quit with you,
Bruce
Quit date: 11/21/11
HOF date: 2/28/12
Comma date: 8/16/14
It's a freedom thing

Caving is NOT an option

-"Now I can walk through walls and my quit can talk to god. That's right. Crazy voodoo magic quit" Souliman

-'Stop being a pussy and quit' Tarpon17

-"this is the gheyest place on earth, if you say it in here it might become someones signature" Bigwhitebeast

- "We Quit Like Fuck" - Coach Steve

Offline Bruce

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Quit Date: 2011-11-21
  • Interests: Long walks on the beach, cuddling up next to that special someone in front of a fire, just watching the sunset, and titty bars.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »

I am 38 and started chewing when I was about 14 with it becoming a regular habit by 16. The longest I have ever gone without a chew is 3 months when I was in Boot camp. That was back in 1992. I've tried a few times over the years to quit with most attempts last a day or less. For some reason this time seems different, but we'll see. I had not actually planned this at all. You'll see I joined KTC back in January, but never quit. I just woke up today for some reason and said "eff it, no more chew". Which is weird since the first thing I normally do after I get up is put a dip in.

I think the hardest part for me will be when I have to work again on Monday. See I work from home at the computer all day and it makes it very, very easy to chew tobacco all day. Guess I'll be chewing a pound of coffee a day instead ^_^

Welcome...back, and congrats on the quit.

Fuck yea man, it sucks, but embrace the suck, its a great reminder. It's not gonna be easy, but that's why were here. Accountability bro, giving ur word everyday that you will not use nicotine for that day. Go find your quit group, July '12 and I believe you're the first so far, it just opened up today. To learn how to post roll, go to the welcome center.

Read everything you can here, go to chat...a lot of support to be found here if you want it.
Quit date: 11/21/11
HOF date: 2/28/12
Comma date: 8/16/14
It's a freedom thing

Caving is NOT an option

-"Now I can walk through walls and my quit can talk to god. That's right. Crazy voodoo magic quit" Souliman

-'Stop being a pussy and quit' Tarpon17

-"this is the gheyest place on earth, if you say it in here it might become someones signature" Bigwhitebeast

- "We Quit Like Fuck" - Coach Steve

Offline Kubrick

• Quitter
I can't believe this will be the hardest thing...
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »

Quit date 03/24/2012
HOF date 07/01/2012

My Intro