Author Topic: Tired and done. Quitting, Day 1.  (Read 22262 times)

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Just freaking post roll, OK?
  • Quit Date: 10 Jan 2017
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
  • Likes Given: 1561
Re: Tired and done. Quitting, Day 1.
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
Saw this bit of encouragement from rkymtnman over in May 17 and thought it was worth preserving...
Quote from: rkymtnman
Been thinking a lot about this whole "it gets better" voodoo that we all parrot over and over. I know I didn't really believe it when I was just past the hall and trudging through the motions trying like hell to stay clean and watching my group lose quitters. Always lead me to think - if it is OK for them, why not me?

I remember another thing I did in these types of situations. Go find some "active", crusty old vet - I'd suggest a guy like Hydro because he is quit friggen YODA - shoot him a pm. Ask him questions about what it is like now. Find these 6, 7, 8 year quitters who are still here every day - though not overly active - and ask them. Don't take my word for it. Ask them what it is like. Ask them if it was all worth it. There HAS to be a reason guys like Hydro and others still post roll like it is their job. We are all pretty busy guys with professional lives and work responsibilities, with families and probably have FAR better things to do than troll internet forums for nic addicts. Yet here we all are - in the same boat.

I bet you'll hear the same story over and over. Take it on faith that shit gets so much fucking better you can't possibly imagine. I sure as shit didn't until one day, I realized it had. I challenge you all to keep the focus on TODAY - every day and everything will get worked out in time. Get rid of the thoughts of "by now, I should feel ______" because I can promise you those expectations will lead to let down. Instead, try "Today I will not use nicotine" and go live your life without thinking about where you think you ought to be at this point. You are exactly where you all should be. There is a reason I hate the hall...sure it is a bad ass benchmark but after that, it is just another +1. My worst days were AFTER the hall. My best days were ahead of me - I just didn't believe it.

Keep the faith brothers. You are all killing it - and winning - it just doesn't feel like it most days. I promise that changes.
"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline gentgeen

• Yinzer-in-Chief
  • Quit Pro
  • The PHALANX (July 2016)
  • Quit Date: Apr 1, 2016
  • Interests: Steelers, Pens, Pirates; Sci-Fi stuff; Scouting; Native Crafts;
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
Quote from: Samrs
The Mall Walking Thread from April's GroupMe
Samrs Walking at the frickin' mall like some AARP wannabe
Nick @Samrs do you have bright white shoes on?
Samrs Black and gold trail runners, @Nick
Harvest @Samrs please tell me you're wearing a track suit and fanny pack.
Samrs @Harvest I lack the sense of style to even pull that off
Samrs It's weird. I'm getting these confrontational looks from the septuagenarian contingent.
Harvest Turf wars.
Harvest You're mall walking but obviously not taking it seriously because you're on your phone like a "one of those kids". ?
Samrs "Yo bitch! This be Mall Walker turf. Respect the grey or we gonna hafts cut you!"
Harvest Make it a game @Samrs. F
Harvest Flirt with the old ladies
Harvest Or see how many you can out pace
Samrs I've been using voice recognition... you should see some of the looks. "We DO NOT TALK!"
Nick @Samrs , first stop at Foot Locker and pick up yourself a nice bright white pair of New Balance shoes. Second, tell them bitches to back the fuck off or your going to cut them with your plastic butter knife you stole from the food court
Harvest Use a different accent each time you pass a group
Harvest Or at least stop at buy a visor
Batdad Walk in front of them. Then slow down. Then pass them again. Like they do on the interstate
Samrs I'm just thankful I haven't seen anybody I know. When you go mall walking and recognize people, then you know you're old.
Harvest Merge and take out the front quarter panel.....of their walker?
Batdad For the love of god! Don't use your turn signal ??
Harvest Then glare at them like it's their fault
Samrs @Batdad I'm not messing with any of them. A couple of them are walking with white strap all over their body. We could probably snap me like a twig without breaking a sweat
Harvest Or just keep it on continuously and slow down at every exit....store entrance?
Samrs Not white, weights... that's what I get for whispering so I don't attract their attention!
Batdad I feel like @Harvest and I have some anger issues towards elderly drivers
Batdad I was wondering what the white stripe was. Maybe a gang thing?
Harvest "Middle aged mall walker gets mobbed today at local mall by group of elderly walking enthusiasts.
Witnesses say that the victim was attempted to be strangled by a white sweatband and beaten with 2lb ankle weights.
Responding emergency services stated that upon arrival the victim was screaming into his phone
"I DIE FREE FROM THE NIC BITCH! YOU CAN'T TAKE THST AWAY FROM ME!"
Full coverage and updates at 6pm.
Batdad Epic!!
Samrs Thank you guys for making this bearable. The little old ladies jump and scowl when you burst out laughing, btw
Harvest They're like little terriers
Harvest All nervous and full of bark
Harvest Skittish
Harvest So this whole thing reminds me of this video
Samrs I am laughing so hard... they are going to call the mall cop on me, I know it
OMG!!! that so hit the spot..thank you for putting that up

FUNNY AS HELL!!!!
"Some think that happiness comes from getting, others know it comes from giving." --Lord Baden Powell

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
[Originally posted in September. How to build accountability.]

I've got a bunch of people I text in the morning every day. Might just be my day count and "IQWYT". Might be a silly rhyme or a stupid joke.

DO THAT.

Find some people that you click with, that you connect with, and just text them every day. Do your best to make it as early as possible and as routine as possible. Why? Here's what happens:
  • You remind people, every day, that you are quitting with them... and vice versa.
  • You remind yourself that you're quitting.
  • You remind yourself and others of the importance of making that daily promise.
  • You establish the habit of reaching out to others when it's easy... so that it will be natural to reach out when things get hard.
  • You establish a pattern of behavior that can and will alert others when it changes.
That last? I got swamped at work and forgot to send out my texts one morning. By noon I had messages from a dozen people asking me if everything was OK. That was wonderful, because that is exactly the kind of accountability I want.

If you want accountability, this is a heck of a good way to start. Plus - believe it or not - you make friends along the way.

If you don't already have a half-dozen phone numbers of other quitters, you can start by PM'ing your fellow September quitters and sharing your number with them. If you get a number from someone else, use it - send whoever it is a text, get that line of communication open, and keep it open by using it every day. Build your own web of accountability, make use of it, and believe me - you will definitely be thankful for it.
"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
[Originally posted in June. Saving because I am sure I will use it again.]

I used to work with a company that did educational materials for people dealing with schizophrenia and depression. I was just a software developer, but being the only software developer (small company) I got to learn a thing or two from the folks developing content for the CDs we put together.

It's been nearly 20 years, so a lot of what I learned has kind of faded, except one thing that was repeated over... and over... and over, in every possible format, in every possible way. Text, graphics, audio, visual, multimedia clips - you name it.

Take your medicine. Take your meds.

People would come up with all sorts of crappy reasons why they shouldn't have to take their meds. The #1 reason, over and above everything else, was something like, "I feel fine now! I haven't heard any voices or thought about killing myself in weeks!"

Yeah, you know why, genius? It's because you've been taking your damn meds.

KTC doesn't give you a prescription for a drug. What it does give you is a prescription for how to beat your addiction: WUPP EDD.

That's it. That's your medicine. There's your meds. It's the reason you're quit. Just... keep... doing it.

Take your damn meds.

You wake up feeling crappy? Post roll.
You wake up feeling great? Post roll.
You still think about nic all the time? Post roll.
You hardly ever think about nic anymore? Post roll.
Life is great? Post roll.
Life sucks? Post roll.
Your day is go-go-go from the minute you roll out of bed? Wow! You sure are busy! Now FOCKING POST ROLL.

There's a half dozen ways to get on roll. USE ONE OF THEM. First thing in the morning, every damn day.

You want to stay quit? Take your meds. WUPP EDD. It's that simple.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Poetry (or, at least, something poetic) from wildirish317 on leaving KTC after you hit the HOF...
Quote from: wildirish317
I see his point
I was going to leave too
Right after my June 2016 group finished boarding the train.
Then there were a few guys in July
that I wanted to stick around and celebrate with.
I had to conduct August onto the train.
Oh, September has a few bad ass quitters.
I had to celebrate with them.
I am leaving though
Right after the celebrations are over.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
The Mall Walking Thread from April's GroupMe
Samrs Walking at the frickin' mall like some AARP wannabe
Nick @Samrs do you have bright white shoes on?
Samrs Black and gold trail runners, @Nick
Harvest @Samrs please tell me you're wearing a track suit and fanny pack.
Samrs @Harvest I lack the sense of style to even pull that off
Samrs It's weird. I'm getting these confrontational looks from the septuagenarian contingent.
Harvest Turf wars.
Harvest You're mall walking but obviously not taking it seriously because you're on your phone like a "one of those kids". ?
Samrs "Yo bitch! This be Mall Walker turf. Respect the grey or we gonna hafts cut you!"
Harvest Make it a game @Samrs. F
Harvest Flirt with the old ladies
Harvest Or see how many you can out pace
Samrs I've been using voice recognition... you should see some of the looks. "We DO NOT TALK!"
Nick @Samrs , first stop at Foot Locker and pick up yourself a nice bright white pair of New Balance shoes. Second, tell them bitches to back the fuck off or your going to cut them with your plastic butter knife you stole from the food court
Harvest Use a different accent each time you pass a group
Harvest Or at least stop at buy a visor
Batdad Walk in front of them. Then slow down. Then pass them again. Like they do on the interstate
Samrs I'm just thankful I haven't seen anybody I know. When you go mall walking and recognize people, then you know you're old.
Harvest Merge and take out the front quarter panel.....of their walker?
Batdad For the love of god! Don't use your turn signal ??
Harvest Then glare at them like it's their fault
Samrs @Batdad I'm not messing with any of them. A couple of them are walking with white strap all over their body. We could probably snap me like a twig without breaking a sweat
Harvest Or just keep it on continuously and slow down at every exit....store entrance?
Samrs Not white, weights... that's what I get for whispering so I don't attract their attention!
Batdad I feel like @Harvest and I have some anger issues towards elderly drivers
Batdad I was wondering what the white stripe was. Maybe a gang thing?
Harvest "Middle aged mall walker gets mobbed today at local mall by group of elderly walking enthusiasts.
Witnesses say that the victim was attempted to be strangled by a white sweatband and beaten with 2lb ankle weights.
Responding emergency services stated that upon arrival the victim was screaming into his phone
"I DIE FREE FROM THE NIC BITCH! YOU CAN'T TAKE THST AWAY FROM ME!"
Full coverage and updates at 6pm.
Batdad Epic!!
Samrs Thank you guys for making this bearable. The little old ladies jump and scowl when you burst out laughing, btw
Harvest They're like little terriers
Harvest All nervous and full of bark
Harvest Skittish
Harvest So this whole thing reminds me of this video
Samrs I am laughing so hard... they are going to call the mall cop on me, I know it

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »
Some thoughts on why 100 days spurred by Geralt
Quote from: Samrs
Quote from: Geralt
I'm not sure where the logic of 100 days being considered as Hall of Fame in this awesome site, but I was assuming something about it and I may be partly right?? I sometimes watch the reality TV show Intervention and I think the minimum time they treat an addict is 3 months. I also just googled how long treatments can be for addictions and research shows that treatment can take a minimum of 90 days.

Therefore I conclude that once we reach 100 days we earn the title of Hall of Famer because we not only stayed sober or quit for that many days but because we surpassed the minimum # of recovery days recommended for addicts a.k.a substance abusers.
I find it interesting that research seems to indicate that it takes two months or more to develop a new habit.

In the past three months, I have not killed my nicotine addiction. I never will. However, I have done my best to develop the habit of quitting.

WUPP, EDD. Habit.
Texting brothers and sisters every day. Habit.
Checking to make sure everyone I support in other groups has posted. Habit.
Sharing my struggles in texts and on the forums. Habit.
Jumping on the forum every 2.6 seconds. Habit. (Though I should probably back off on this one a bit...)

So I think there's actually two components here. One is logging a minimum number of recovery days. The other is logging the minimum number of days needed to develop the habits that will help keep you quit.

Note - both are minimums, and working on developing good "KTC habits" over your first 100 days will end up ensuring that you stick around and get a whole lot more than the minimum number of recovery days.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
From KingNothing in July 2017:
Quote from: KingNothing
Quote from: Bullridingaddict559
Bullridingaddict559- day 15 starting to put it out of my mind
What's the hurry? I still think about my addiction every day and I'm damn glad I do. I consciously make an effort every single day to confront my addiction head-on and overwhelm that addiction with brute force.

WORD OF WARNING: You do not "beat" your addiction by putting it out of your mind. You cannot "forget" that you were addicted and somehow go about your "normal" life pretending that it was never a part of you. If you are trying to forget your addiction, you are on the path to failure. You will soon forget how bad day 1 was, how enslaved you were to the worm dirt, how you traded family time for dipping time, how you willingly tried to slowly kill yourself. Don't forget those things. Those are the core of your motivation to quit one day at a time.

Each of you is a nicotine addict. Your addict brain will never "forget" that it was addicted to nicotine. It will lie in wait and on your ninth beer at a wedding reception five years from now, you will allow yourself to think "I'm not addicted any more. Just one dip won't hurt." Do NOT let yourself slip into this mindset.

Offline Richard K

• Admin (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Bald headed, vertically challenged leaping gnome
  • Quit Date: 28-Mar-2016
  • Interests: All Pittsburgh sports!! and my family
  • Likes Given: 790
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
Quote from: Stranger999
Quote from: pab1964
Congratulations on the hof! Be damn proud!
100 days? That is an awesome start. But just a start. Keep going brother! :)
Keep up the bad ass quitting, well past your 100 day mark. Congrats brother!!!
FLOOR.. 1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10..11..12...13..14..15..16..17..18..19

It is very simple! We quit for today! We wake up! Do it again tomorrow!! One day at a time!
We walk in each others quit shoes, it may be a little different but ultimately the same exact thing

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers."

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »
Recording a paraphrase of something Zam posted in July 2017:

"If your judgement as to the quit process was beyond question, you'd be quit and wouldn't have signed up for this freakshow."

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2017, 11:45:00 PM »
Quote from: pab1964
100 days? That is an awesome start. But just a start. Keep going brother! :)

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline lmcb

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 02/09/2017
  • Likes Given: 2479
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
It's a great day Samrs-- HOF is no small thing!!
Quitting Is a huge thing!! But you know that.

The challenge for us quitters is...
to never forget we are Quit...
to carry on this thing called Quit,
and to do that, we must Quit.

There you have it--Quit is an adjective, a noun, and a verb---
It has become reality for You and Me and many others
I am Quit with Samrs.
God willing, I will be so, for a long time to come.
The Old Man

Offline BrianG

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • “Brotherhood is born in adversity.”
  • Quit Date: 17 JAN 2017
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
Sam,

Congrats on Day 100. You are a fine example of how to make this site work.
Thanks for reaching out to me in those early days. Thanks for calling me.
Thanks for pulling me through some tough times. I am forever grateful to you.

Thanks Brother!
He who has a why can bear almost any how.