Author Topic: Tired and done. Quitting, Day 1.  (Read 22262 times)

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Just freaking post roll, OK?
  • Quit Date: 10 Jan 2017
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
  • Likes Given: 1561
Re: Tired and done. Quitting, Day 1.
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
[Posted in April 2017, but I wanted to preserve it here as welll...]

Just had something pop up as a "memory" on Facebook. Three years ago, to this day, my house caught on fire.

The fact I'd hit HOF on the day our house burned down never clicked.

Nobody was home at the time, and it was a beautiful day so even all the animals were outside. My wife called to tell me that a neighbor had called her on her cell phone to tell us our house was on fire. I messaged my boss at work, jumped in the car and headed home...

... and then stopped. To buy a can. Because I was almost out.

When I look back on my life, that's one of the most shameful, lowest points. In a way, though, it was a blessing, because that event - that one stop - is really when I started thinking that I didn't just have a habit. It really gnawed at me that I was that dependent on chew. That I would literally let everything else burn in order to get my dip.

I came back to that often in the past 100 days, especially when I was feeling crappy and distracted.

Romans 8:28 says "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

I've got a new house now. Losing that place was an unbelievable blessing, in so, so many ways... and whenever I come home, now, I have a tangible reminder of that day when I hit bottom, and why I never want to go back to being that guy.
"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"ok. now groop hug." -- 'drome
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
Quote from: ChickDip
Dames congrats on your HOF day.
Great intro. Great quit.
It's great to be free
Stay strong. Stay connected. Quit hard daily!
Congrats my man on HOF
This quit is strong.
Great start, keep it foreward.
I Quit with you today.
Rawls 844
I believe.....

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2035
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
Dames congrats on your HOF day.
Great intro. Great quit.
It's great to be free
Stay strong. Stay connected. Quit hard daily!
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Writing, gaming (computer, tabletop, board and card), SF/Fantasy, hapkido.
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
Quote from: harvestgirl
Just wanted to drop in on you and tell you that you're a bad ass mf'ing quitter, Samrs.

Proud to be quit with you today and every day.

You pretty much just rock as a human.
HA! roflmao Thank you, HG! I try :) You all bring out the best in me.
"We have so much experience here in lying to ourselves and others, that it takes a strong voice to snap ourselves out of it... Be thankful that all these people are willing to be invested in you saving your life." -- drstober
"You're playing a game of chicken with a dead plant in a plastic can. If you cave you lost to a dead plant." -- Candoit
"The answer isn't more numbers. The answer is build relationships." -- Broccoli-saurus
"The rule is WUPP (Wake Up Piss Post) regardless of time or zone, unless you are in the Phantom Zone.  In that case, hit up Jor-El and he can get you on roll." -- S412
My Intro - The Weight of Days - Mall Walking - Workin' it off in the Excercise Group

Offline harvestgirl

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • That tempest in a teapot....
  • Quit Date: 9/26/16
  • Interests: Throat punching the was of cat shit from your face
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2017, 10:40:00 PM »
Just wanted to drop in on you and tell you that you're a bad ass mf'ing quitter, Samrs.

Proud to be quit with you today and every day.

You pretty much just rock as a human.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas
Quit Date: 9.26.16 HOF Date: 1.3.17 9th Floor: 3.14.19
Read my Intro.
Read my HOF Speech.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
wildirish317 talks about digging a quit hole.

I thought about that long and hard before making this post. I realized putting something like this out there is roughly the equivalent of setting off a bunker buster, then tossing a small nuke into the resulting crater, then jumping into the resulting pit and going all out with a backhoe.

So be it.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
Gold from Zam on "trading addictions"...
Quote from: Zam
If anyone out there is worried about trading addictions, and getting hooked on fake dip, seeds, knitting, cheeseburgers, butt plugs...whatever it is that you need to keep your promise and make another first thing the next morning...I got good news! After you have been quit a while, you can go to other sites like Killthefakedip.com, and stoppingknittingbeforeitkillsyou.com to help you with your new addiction. Oh wait...there are no sites like that...because there are no people with those issues. Sites like that don't exist because guys like me (day 1900 or so) don't have problems quitting seeds and fake dip. Hell, I didn't use fake until I hit a crave superhighway around day 20. From then on I used fake like a madman for...I have no idea how long. I also have no idea when I stopped using it. ---think about that last sentence. Can you imagine yourself a few months ago suddenly waking up and realizing that hadn't had a dip or used nicotine in months...and you hadn't even been trying to quit? Of course not. But this was my experience with fake dip (and ground ginger). Seriously, this is just not possible with nicotine. Because nicotine and seeds aren't the same. Nicotine and fake dip aren't the same. They ain't even in the same ballpark. No matter how much you use them.

Still worried about getting "addicted" to seeds or fake or whatever? Ask any 1,989 day vet if they have developed a problem with fake, or toothpicks, etc. Hell, the beer's on me if you can even find a comma+ vet that has even HEARD of anyone with "fake dip problem." Chances are, you'll be lucky to find a old vet that can even remember the last time they used fake dip. Would I leave my family on Chistmas Eve and drive through a snowstorm looking for my fresh can of mint leaves if I was out? Oh hell no. Would I have made that drive 1900 days ago for a fresh can of Copenhagan?.....you know the answer.

Don't confuse the issue. Nicotine is the issue.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 11:39:00 PM »
(Another one from July 2017, among other places. I hope to expand on and refine this as time goes by...)

DON'T BE THIS GUY:
    [li]"... decided to go have some beers with some friends."[/li][li]"... didn't have someone watch my back before getting half soused."[/li][li]"I was out drinking with friends..."[/li][li]"Made an excuse that it was ok to drink..."[/li][li]"... going out getting drunk with friends was very stupid of me..."[/li][/list]That's just a selection from some of the caver answers I've seen in the past couple of months. That's not even close to all of them. I'd estimate that alcohol is involved in at least half of the caves that get related here on KTC. That's not counting the ones that cave, quit posting and just fade away.

The quickest and fastest way to kill your quit in the first couple of months is to drink (especially with other people who chew/smoke).

So, just... don't. Don't be that guy. If you are serious about your quit, giving up alcohol for a little while is a really small price to pay in order to ensure you stay quit.

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
    • Administrator
    • Master of Quit
    « Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »
    (Posted in July 2017, and preserved here because unfortunately, I think I'm going to need to reference this again and again and again...)

In general, I am a fuzzy care bear. I love supporting people. This site is awesome, the quitters here are awesome, and I don't mind being on the phone talking or texting or swapping PMs with someone going through their quit. I'll sit there and listen to you rage at me, or tell me about your job or your kids or significant other. I'll do my best to encourage you, psych you up, pick you up, get you back on your feet and dust you off if that's what you need! Whatever it takes for you to get through the day and stay away from a can... so long as you
    WUPP, EDD.
    That's the minimum. One day. One post. One promise.
    This is the the price of admission.
    That's the price that you pay to get dozens of quitters in your corner, ready to help you at a moment's notice. It's not too steep, I don't think. Less than 60 seconds at the start of your day.

If you can't post roll, post and ask for a pickup. If you can't get on the site, text someone and ask for a pickup.

First thing in the morning, every damn day.

If quitting isn't worth 60 seconds of your time, brother... why are you even here?

If quitting isn't worth 60 seconds of your time, brother... why should I even care?

Offline SuccessThisTime

• Eternal Quitters
    • Quitter
    « Reply #49 on: February 21, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
    Awesome Sam. I liked "Nic Free Joel" much more than "Addict Joel", but still relapsed. Didn't have KTC in my life. This time, I'm done! Quitters for life!

Offline Ready

• Admin (Retired)
    • Master of Quit
    • Likes Given: 19
    « Reply #48 on: February 21, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
    Quote from: Jeff
    Quote from: Samrs
    I've been going back through the intros from my April group, and noticed that quite a few folks posted periodic updates. I hadn't thought to do that, but wanted to at least drop something in here to let anyone who comes across my into know how I'm doing.

I'll be honest, I was really, really afraid that I wouldn't like Nic-Free Sam.

Turns out, he's actually a pretty cool guy. A whole hell of a lot more fun to hang around with than that idiot Addict Sam.

Day 43, and loving being quit ODAAT.
    Hell yeah Sam! Damn proud to quit with you today!
    Outstanding!!

By the way, it gets way better! I haven't had a crave in years????

Offline Jeff W

• Quitter
    • Likes Given: 1
    « Reply #47 on: February 21, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
    I've been going back through the intros from my April group, and noticed that quite a few folks posted periodic updates. I hadn't thought to do that, but wanted to at least drop something in here to let anyone who comes across my into know how I'm doing.

Turns out, he's actually a pretty cool guy. A whole hell of a lot more fun to hang around with than that idiot Addict Sam.

Hell yeah Sam! Damn proud to quit with you today!

Offline Samrs

• GUD BOI!
    • Administrator
    • Master of Quit
    « Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
    • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
    • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
    « Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »
    Well done posting ROLL Samrs.
    Do it early every day.
    You have a ton of experience already in your intro feed.
    Lean on them.
    Accountability is a huge key to being free.
    Rawls 785
    I believe.....

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
    • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
    « Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
    Can, JGlav - thank you so much. Damnit, I'm crying. I want so much to be a different person, and this is a big part of it. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
    You won't believe us if we told you how different you will be once you get a grip on this thing. I used to hide from my wife and kids at various times of the day, drive to the store for nothing, go into work to put in some unnecessary overtime, etc. All in the name of feeding my addiction. For the last 551 days, I have put that selfish moron in the past. Each day is one day further from that embarrassing person I had become. Like TW said, it takes guts. You can do this though. It won't always be easy, but it will always be worth it. I choose to no longer poison myself and jeopardize my family's future to bang a can of worm dirt. That is a different person than I was before I started. It's possible, just commit to the process.
    "Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
    "today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
    "Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
    "You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
    We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
    Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18