Author Topic: General Discussion - 2020  (Read 78364 times)

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 570
Re: My Mind's Playin' Tricks on Me
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
If what everyone says is accurate, here at Day 5 the nicotine should be out of my system, so physically the worst of the withdrawal symptoms should be over, right?

Well, I'm having some weird thoughts. One thing I keep thinking about is Kodiak Wintergreen. Here's why that's fucked up. I HATED Kodiak Wintergreen dip, any wintergreen dip as a matter of fact. Kodiak, especially, though, because I gave me a headache any time I tried it.

Now, though, it's like I'm damn near fantasizing about it. WTF?

Oh, well. I'm gonna ride this train all the way, so weird thoughts or not, I'm in it to win it. Here's to Day 5 - a new record for me!

Matthew, aka GS9502

You are correct the nicotine is now out of your system.  But I would caution you to not put any expectations on when things like physical withdrawals will get "easier" to deal with.  From what I understand it is different for everyone.  Just keep holding the line and quitting ODAAT.  Putting expectations on when certain symptoms should be over will just set you up for disappointment.  It will get better down the line if that helps keep you motivated.
Tackle each day of quitting just as you would any aspect of life.  When you walk out the door each morning, you have no idea what will happen - car accident, find a 20 dollar bill, see 2 squirrels fucking outside your office window.  who knows.. you get the idea.

Each day will have either cravings (physical challenge), mind fucks (mental challenge), feeling of happiness as if you got this licked.... but you can get through it all without nicotine.  How do you know what will happen tomorow?  You don't.  ODAAT, and soon it will be where you want to go.  But only in small steps to start.

Quit on brother, 1,129 quit with you today
To remain quit requires focus
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline SmokeyMountainExpress

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 11/12/2019
  • Likes Given: 76
Re: My Mind's Playin' Tricks on Me
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
If what everyone says is accurate, here at Day 5 the nicotine should be out of my system, so physically the worst of the withdrawal symptoms should be over, right?

Well, I'm having some weird thoughts. One thing I keep thinking about is Kodiak Wintergreen. Here's why that's fucked up. I HATED Kodiak Wintergreen dip, any wintergreen dip as a matter of fact. Kodiak, especially, though, because I gave me a headache any time I tried it.

Oh, well. I'm gonna ride this train all the way, so weird thoughts or not, I'm in it to win it. Here's to Day 5 - a new record for me!

Matthew, aka GS9502

You are correct the nicotine is now out of your system.  But I would caution you to not put any expectations on when things like physical withdrawals will get "easier" to deal with.  From what I understand it is different for everyone.  Just keep holding the line and quitting ODAAT.  Putting expectations on when certain symptoms should be over will just set you up for disappointment.  It will get better down the line if that helps keep you motivated.

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
  • Quit Date: 02/28/2020
  • Interests: Georgia Southern football and baseball, outdoor stuff, movies, music
  • Likes Given: 270
My Mind's Playin' Tricks on Me
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2020, 06:12:51 AM »

Matthew, aka GS9502
Renegade of Quit
"For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die." - Ulysses, Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Offline 25yeardippernomore

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 03/03/2019
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: WUPP some got it - some don't
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2020, 09:01:03 AM »
I understand weird work schedules. I am self employed but I do day work.  Right now I am night calving for a neighbor i have the 2:00pm to 12:00am shift. I also own 100 cows of my own to care for. I post when I get home at 1 or 2 am. I check on my group when I wake up and a couple more times during the day. I get it everyone is busy but why is WUPP so hard for some?  Is it a matter of to busy? just not a priority?

If people are being honest with themselves, the reason is in your last sentence.  It's just not enough of a priority for them. 

Offline NErancher

• Quitter
  • NCS
  • Quit Date: 01/16/2020
WUPP some got it - some don't
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2020, 11:08:09 PM »
 I understand weird work schedules. I am self employed but I do day work.  Right now I am night calving for a neighbor i have the 2:00pm to 12:00am shift. I also own 100 cows of my own to care for. I post when I get home at 1 or 2 am. I check on my group when I wake up and a couple more times during the day. I get it everyone is busy but why is WUPP so hard for some?  Is it a matter of to busy? just not a priority?

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
  • Interests: Georgia Southern football and baseball, outdoor stuff, movies, music
Sunday Night Thoughts
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2020, 08:59:54 PM »
My quit began Friday. I was home alone all day (I don't work on Fridays), and I could have left any time to go buy dip. But I didn't. Damn, I wanted to, though. Saturday wasn't so bad. I ate a lot of sunflower seeds. Today the restless Friday and Saturday nights caught up with me, and I napped a lot this afternoon. Guess I needed the rest.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my physician, just to talk things over. I've had BP issues for years, so I thought it would be wise to let the Doc know what's going on.

Thanks to everyone who's reached out this weekend. You guys are freaking awesome.

KTC is a great support system. There are endless support groups for smokers who are quitting, but not so many for dippers. I'm glad my dentist recommended this one.  You guys are hard core, but that's what I need.

I'm gonna kick that can's ass one day at a time. I know I can do it because I look at your numbers and see y'all did it. I want to be cool like that! ODAAT. I remind myself when the cravings hit: If your path demands you to walk through hell, walk like you own the place.

Y'all have a great night. We'll kick ass tomorrow.
Matthew - GS9502

Renegade of Quit
"For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die." - Ulysses, Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Offline Vin70

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Mind Games
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2020, 12:40:12 PM »
I wish I had a can of Grizzly from 15 years ago to compare with the last can I dipped. I swear the cans have gotten smaller over the years as the cost has gotten bigger. At least that's the argument I would throw up to my wife when she grilled me about buying so much Grizzly each week (2 rolls, at least).
Whether the Big Tobacco Machine has been squeezing us or not, I was dipping a lot. It got to the point I would wake up during the night, get a dip, and go back to bed. There were fewer hours I didn't have a dip in than there were hours when I did. I dipped at work. I teach at a college, so when I wasn't in class, I was in my office with a dip. I was a slave to the bear.
What really made me realize it was nothing more than a habit happened this past week. I cut way back, weaning myself to make Friday a little easier. Well, Thursday, the dips I had after breakfast, lunch, and dinner about made me drunk! That was the feeling I remember having when I first started dipping back in college. Since those days, the dip became a need, but I didn't get that feeling. I couldn't put enough Grizzly or Cope in to get that feeling, so I was just dipping to be dipping. I was getting the nicotine, but I wasn't getting the relaxed feeling.
I'm in the June 2020 group. June 6, 2020, will be my 100th day. I'm not concerned about that day, though. I'm more concerned about 2/29/2020 - today. I've posted Roll and made my promise. I don't break promises. Not today, Satan (Grizzly). Not today.
Matthew (GS9502)

Thats the problem eventually you start dipping just to feel normal to feel good, but the drunk feeling goes away. Tobacco today is designed so much better than tobacco 5 10 15 years ago. it is more addictive than ever before they say 7000 chemicals because every step of the way from seed to "lip" chemicals are used to enhance nicotine delivery. im glad you quit. it will be harder to quit as tobacco as they continue to redesign it. be free now..

Offline Vin70

• BANNED
  • Quitter
Re: Face to Face with the Bitch
« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2020, 12:23:47 PM »
I feel the need to tell this story. 302 days in feeling good about everything including not dipping.

Story;
Me and my dog are at the bank and the teller asked if my dog could have a dog treat. I said sure and gave it to him.
Problem;
He dropped half of between the seat and console of my truck and spent the entire rest of the trip home trying to get it. I pull in the driveway and begin to dig under my seat for the bone. I find spare change, toothpicks, some trash, the piece of bone, and then, I pull out an at least 302 day old bag of fucking Redman. My whole quit flashed before my eyes ( that is not a joke). You can't make this shit up. So I'm standing in my driveway with nothing between my hand and a bag of chew except air. I can't explain all of the thoughts that went through my head, but I said, man would one chew hurt? I even opened it up to smell it. Then reality set in and I said to myself, you have way too much invested in this quit to screw it up now. I held the bag in my hand for a moment, then proceeded to crumble it up and throw it in the garbage can. That actually made me feel good.
Lesson;
No matter how far along you are in your quit, the nic bitch is ALWAYS waiting for a weak moment to strike. You have to stay vigilant.

Sorry, I felt like I need to say this.
Thanks for sharing @drums636!! I love hearing stories of victory like this. Next time something like this happens, don't hesitate to jump on the phone and call someone in your quit arsenal to make sure those tempting thoughts don't turn into reality.

Early in my quit I found a corn cob pipe and tobacco tucked away I had bought less than a year before I quit dipping. I grabbed a dead blow hammer and smashed the living shit out it, leaving it but a pile of corn dust.

Keep up the solid quit and proud to be quit with you today!
@MNxEngineer314 It didn't get bad enough to call someone, but I have plenty of digits if it does happen. PTQWYT

my heart raced reading that story. i found a full pack of cigs a couple days into my quit. laying on the road as a took a walk. someone told my i have to develop a reflex that as soon as i see something i don't like (nicotine) i have to get it out of my mind any way possible. all i could do was take my foot and smashed it like cockaroch. and kick it into the ditch and then kick it into a puddle and run back in the embankment...  that made me feel good....

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
Mind Games
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2020, 08:15:49 AM »
I wish I had a can of Grizzly from 15 years ago to compare with the last can I dipped. I swear the cans have gotten smaller over the years as the cost has gotten bigger. At least that's the argument I would throw up to my wife when she grilled me about buying so much Grizzly each week (2 rolls, at least).
Whether the Big Tobacco Machine has been squeezing us or not, I was dipping a lot. It got to the point I would wake up during the night, get a dip, and go back to bed. There were fewer hours I didn't have a dip in than there were hours when I did. I dipped at work. I teach at a college, so when I wasn't in class, I was in my office with a dip. I was a slave to the bear.
What really made me realize it was nothing more than a habit happened this past week. I cut way back, weaning myself to make Friday a little easier. Well, Thursday, the dips I had after breakfast, lunch, and dinner about made me drunk! That was the feeling I remember having when I first started dipping back in college. Since those days, the dip became a need, but I didn't get that feeling. I couldn't put enough Grizzly or Cope in to get that feeling, so I was just dipping to be dipping. I was getting the nicotine, but I wasn't getting the relaxed feeling.
I'm in the June 2020 group. June 6, 2020, will be my 100th day. I'm not concerned about that day, though. I'm more concerned about 2/29/2020 - today. I've posted Roll and made my promise. I don't break promises. Not today, Satan (Grizzly). Not today.
Matthew (GS9502)
Renegade of Quit

Offline drums636

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 5/2/2019
  • Interests: Playing Drums, Staying fit, Surfing, Muscle cars. Quit date 5/2/19 Member of the August Q Team
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2020, 05:20:20 PM »
I feel the need to tell this story. 302 days in feeling good about everything including not dipping.

Story;
Me and my dog are at the bank and the teller asked if my dog could have a dog treat. I said sure and gave it to him.
Problem;
He dropped half of between the seat and console of my truck and spent the entire rest of the trip home trying to get it. I pull in the driveway and begin to dig under my seat for the bone. I find spare change, toothpicks, some trash, the piece of bone, and then, I pull out an at least 302 day old bag of fucking Redman. My whole quit flashed before my eyes ( that is not a joke). You can't make this shit up. So I'm standing in my driveway with nothing between my hand and a bag of chew except air. I can't explain all of the thoughts that went through my head, but I said, man would one chew hurt? I even opened it up to smell it. Then reality set in and I said to myself, you have way too much invested in this quit to screw it up now. I held the bag in my hand for a moment, then proceeded to crumble it up and throw it in the garbage can. That actually made me feel good.
Lesson;
No matter how far along you are in your quit, the nic bitch is ALWAYS waiting for a weak moment to strike. You have to stay vigilant.

Thanks for sharing @drums636!! I love hearing stories of victory like this. Next time something like this happens, don't hesitate to jump on the phone and call someone in your quit arsenal to make sure those tempting thoughts don't turn into reality.

Early in my quit I found a corn cob pipe and tobacco tucked away I had bought less than a year before I quit dipping. I grabbed a dead blow hammer and smashed the living shit out it, leaving it but a pile of corn dust.

@MNxEngineer314 It didn't get bad enough to call someone, but I have plenty of digits if it does happen. PTQWYT
The If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran.

My HOF Speech

Offline MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4333
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

Story;
Problem;
He dropped half of between the seat and console of my truck and spent the entire rest of the trip home trying to get it. I pull in the driveway and begin to dig under my seat for the bone. I find spare change, toothpicks, some trash, the piece of bone, and then, I pull out an at least 302 day old bag of fucking Redman. My whole quit flashed before my eyes ( that is not a joke). You can't make this shit up. So I'm standing in my driveway with nothing between my hand and a bag of chew except air. I can't explain all of the thoughts that went through my head, but I said, man would one chew hurt? I even opened it up to smell it. Then reality set in and I said to myself, you have way too much invested in this quit to screw it up now this up. I held the bag in my hand for a moment, then proceeded to crumble it up and throw it in the garbage can. That actually made me feel good.
Lesson;

Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline drums636

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Quit Date: 5/2/2019
  • Interests: Playing Drums, Staying fit, Surfing, Muscle cars. Quit date 5/2/19 Member of the August Q Team
  • Likes Given: 40
Face to Face with the Bitch
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »

Story;
Problem;
He dropped half of between the seat and console of my truck and spent the entire rest of the trip home trying to get it. I pull in the driveway and begin to dig under my seat for the bone. I find spare change, toothpicks, some trash, the piece of bone, and then, I pull out an at least 302 day old bag of fucking Redman. My whole quit flashed before my eyes ( that is not a joke). You can't make this shit up. So I'm standing in my driveway with nothing between my hand and a bag of chew except air. I can't explain all of the thoughts that went through my head, but I said, man would one chew hurt? I even opened it up to smell it. Then reality set in and I said to myself, you have way too much invested in this quit to screw it up now this up. I held the bag in my hand for a moment, then proceeded to crumble it up and throw it in the garbage can. That actually made me feel good.
Lesson;

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:54:58 PM by drums636 »
The If you can read this in English, Thank a Veteran.

My HOF Speech

Offline NErancher

• Quitter
  • NCS
  • Quit Date: 01/16/2020
Re: General Discussion - 2020
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
what is your go to oral distraction to dip?  Gum, fake dip(what brand), etc.  Please chime in!!!

I’m a big fan of the new hooch fat packs and sunflower seeds. Got the wintergreen fat packs, they can be a little dry so I throw a few drops of water in the can when I open it to moisten them up. Its been great for those big OH FUCK triggers. I really try not to keep the habit alive though so Ive only put one in if I’m REALLY struggling. Still in the early days but it’s working for me so thought I’d share.

I like grinds any flavor, but i am a coffee drinker anyway. Right now I am night calving from 2:00pm to 12:00am 7 days a week so the extra caffeine is no big deal. Before I thought it was contributing to my not being able to sleep. Personally gum helps me not to crave but after two days of gum chewing my jaw try's to lock up. I'm at 44 days and I'm craving all the time lately. I use grinds a lot in the evening sitting here waiting to go on my next check. I'm contemplating hiring a mad scientist to take the nicotine out of Copenhagen. But that is just were I'm at right now. I have had some good days they just seem hard to remember right now.

Offline Vin70

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »
Is their a way i can distribution list and tag my whole group when i post so everyone will get tag in there notifications and know to read what was posted?

Can we get more smiley face graphics?

Thank you

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »
Main Site Outage - 2.24.2020

Main site is down this AM. I'm working on restoring it but may take some time.

Forums, blog, chat and social are unaffected.

UPDATE: Looks like the main site is back up and running. Appears there may be a couple of posts that were rolled back - I'll do my best to get them manually restored as well. Carry on.
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com