Author Topic: The Batdad Chronicles  (Read 24162 times)

Offline Batdad

• Quit Asshole
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Churning the KTC Dookie Butter
  • Quit Date: 01/03/2017
  • Interests: Quitting!
  • Likes Given: 1068
Re: The Batdad Chronicles
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2019, 09:56:46 AM »
Day 800

I've always hated going to the dentist... I have shitty, crooked teeth. I brush twice a day, and floss when there's something stuck in them.

Since I now have dental insurance... my wife has been pushing me to go. It has been at least 5 years since my last visit... problay closer to 10...  That dentist, who I actually didn't mind, has retired since my last visit...

So after the 3rd "reminder" from Mrs Bat, I finally call to make an appointment... Thinking it would by me a couple months to come up with an excuse to miss it, or have to reschedule it.. Just my luck... because of the shitty weather we've had here, they can get me in "this afternoon" fuck....

So nervous as hell, I go to the office and fill out all the paperwork. It was nice checking the box that said I didn't smoke/chew...

I told my hygienist and the dentist about my years of dipping and smoking, and that I had a real concern about oral cancer. I spent 2 hours in that chair.. two hours to reflect on the damage I did to my mouth... Two hours to reflect on the freedom I now have. I realized that I'll never again have to hear "that must be where you put your dip" (she knew even 799 days later where I kept it) I remember going to the dentist in the past, and as soon as I cleared the door, I would out that awful cat shit in my just cleaned mouth... not this time!

After the 2 hours, we talked a little about my teeth and mouth. The dentist made me an offer... he told me that he would do an extra thorough exam when I came in. And that he would let me know if even the slightest thing seemed out of the ordinary, so I could get it looked at. That put me at ease to know if I go in regular, that we would be on top of any issues. He also said my teeth were in pretty good shape... 1 small cavity... and a few old fillings were loose. And a clear cancer screening!!

I've got a few more appointments to finish cleaning up some of the neglect. And now that I'm dip free, it seems worth it!!

The hygienist was asking a lot of questions about my quit.... about KTC and how it works. Her husband dips... I gave her the website and told her that he will have to make the choice to quit, and when he does this community will be there to help him.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Batdad

• Quit Asshole
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
Re: The Batdad Chronicles
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »
here we are... old and new merged together... probably overdue to write something here...

The site... more specifically this forum... we went from one platform, to another... that one sucked balls... so we came here. Downside of coming here, we had to build it from the ground up... good news is, we had a solid foundation.

The months of hard work by countless people to get this board humming again is amazing... But even more amazing is the fact that in one day, we made a switch here. No big warning, no big preparation... just fucking switched. And everyone rolled up their sleeves and go busy making this place home. It's a real testament to what is here. It's not about where the forum is, it's not about the software.. KTC is the people... Without warning, without being asked, the people got this done.

I'm amazed daily by the new quitters learning the process.... I'm amazed daily by the vets that continue to lead by example... I'm amazed by the people here! They are willing to help anyone, any way they can!

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Introductions
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »
Poof

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2018, 05:34:00 PM »
Quote from: RDB
Quote from: batdad
I received a call yesterday that I thought would never happen...

My ex wife is moving back to town... two years ago, she moved 3 hours away... she uprooted my sons and put them into a different school.

My gal and I decided to stay... Because I'm not following someone around the nation every time they decide they are in love... I am in control of my life, she is not...

For two years we prayed that my sons would be able to come back to the school they loved. For two years we prayed my kids could be with the friends that have had since they could walk.. for two years we prayed we wouldn't have to spend 6 hours in the car every other weekend, just to see them for 48 hours..

And after two years those prayers were answered... I just got done dropping off the enrollment papers. I don't want to be over excited. Until we agree on a new custody, anything can happen... but, it looks like I will be able to see my sons at every school function, and have 50/50 placement again. So many tears of joy were shed yesterday and today...
Congrats.
ThatÂ’s frigging awesome! Prayers are sometimes answered a little later than we like but theyÂ’re always heard. God is good my friend
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »
Quote from: batdad

My ex wife is moving back to town... two years ago, she moved 3 hours away... she uprooted my sons and put them into a different school.

My gal and I decided to stay... Because I'm not following someone around the nation every time they decide they are in love... I am in control of my life, she is not...

For two years we prayed that my sons would be able to come back to the school they loved. For two years we prayed my kids could be with the friends that have had since they could walk.. for two years we prayed we wouldn't have to spend 6 hours in the car every other weekend, just to see them for 48 hours..

And after two years those prayers were answered... I just got done dropping off the enrollment papers. I don't want to be over excited. Until we agree on a new custody, anything can happen... but, it looks like I will be able to see my sons at every school function, and have 50/50 placement again. So many tears of joy were shed yesterday and today...
Congrats.

Offline Batdad

• Quit Asshole
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
Getting close to un chartered quit waters.....never been past 7 months in 30 years....222 qlf

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
Double WUPP time for 200, proud to be quit wit u

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
KETO WORKS!!!!

Offline Batdad

• Quit Asshole
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
Making coffee at camp this morning. And nobody was up. I had some reflection time.

We forgot to pack pillows yesterday, because m a dumbass. Not a huge deal, we rolled up some clothes and made it work. A little stiff this morning (teehee) I thought “this isn’t a big deal, I really don’t NEED a pillow. We can tough it out a couple nights”

I felt my KTC HoF coin in my pocket. I realized that 566 days ago, I would have drove to town in the middle of the night to get a tin, if I had forgot that....

Needless to say, I will be running to town to get a couple pillows at Walmart. My loved ones deserve the same priority my addiction received.

Batdad 565 and quit with you all today

Offline Batdad

• Quit Asshole
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
Quote from: Leonidas
Welcome to The Mod Squad, asshole!
Apparently theyÂ’ll let any idiot in.

Thanks man!

Offline Leonidas

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
  • Schizophrenic Born Again Problem Child
  • Likes Given: 1186
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2018, 12:06:00 AM »
Welcome to The Mod Squad, asshole!
Nothing Gold Can Stay

"When I grow up, I'm gonna grow a Man Bun!!!" - MNxEngineer314

"Yes I'm a weasel, but look! My name's RED!!!" - walterwhite

"Matt....Da_mon...." - Palpatine

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2018, 12:35:00 PM »
Thanks for writing that. I sure do love you asshole. Meeting you is now on my bucket list!
The site is amazing in how it drives a man towards introspection. A lot of us don't like what we see and adjust accordingly. I peaked at +15 pounds from the quit and it sure is slow coming off.
Been trying to exercise my way into a good diet. Dawning on me that I might a actually have to eat well.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Batdad

• Quit Asshole
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
A picture of me popped up on Facebook yesterday... it was from 4 years ago. I weighed about 165 Lbs in that photo. It is my "ideal weight" according to the charts... I hated that weight, I remember that picture.. it was the picture that motivated me to actually put some weight on. That picture was the start of my "midlife crisis" that improved my life so very much. I drank a lot then, I was recently single.. and I was living life hard... I was two people at that time.

One of me was dad. I was a coach, I spent time playing catch. I was a pillar of the community, a solid roll model for my boys. The other me, was the 50% I didn't have my sons in my custody... I was a party guy. I would be out at the bar most nights. And didn't care where I spent the night. I was a mess... I knew I had to be happier, I knew I had to start making right choices. I started running shortly after, it may have even been the next day. Running gave me focus, it was a form of meditation that was second to none. Running also kept me at home at night, and it kept me eating healthier. I ate tons of protein eggs, meat etc... I stayed home alone more nights, which is a good thing. I started to put on weight, healthy muscle weight. I got up to about 180 lbs and was in the best shape I had been in 20 years. I had so much confidence!! This is when I met my gal... She and I were both in a running group in facebook. Long story short, we fell in love... she moved closer... we ran a marathon together... then we stopped taking care of ourselves... I don't know what happened, we were and are very happy.... but we stopped doing the things that made us happy... we stopped working out and eating smart. I hope at the some point in this journey we figure out what happened, because I don't want to repeat it... I slowly worked my way up to 230 lbs and beyond.... At 547 days, I can no longer blame the quit. I need to own my life!! My happiness is MY responsibility!!

sorry... back to the story...

Earlier this year, some of us were in a weight loss challenge... I couldn't find a way to break through the 220 lbs. I was stuck...

I kept saying "I'll exercise when the weight comes off" I keep trying and failing... you can see my name all over the getting my act together thread... If wishing could loose weight, I would be skinny again...

I've seen the results of PMILS weight loss from KETO. Since the last time I saw him, I've been trying. But it's so hard to know where to start. Do I dump out all the food in my house? Do I "meal prep"? Do I need to stock up on bacon?? I started on page 1 of the keto thread... but it seemed all the information can, at times, be overwhelming..

My gal and I were talking about weight loss, we both are nowhere near a comfortable weight. So, we started messing around with this KETO diet stuff last week. We didn't have a clue what we were doing, we just knew carbs are bad, and to avoid anything that is boxed or bagged... I didn’t really track anything the first couple days. I spent some time just reading labels before I ate it. When you read a bag of chips while trying to pronounce what is in it... you realize how far down the rabbit hole you are. Then we watched “the magic pill” on Netflix... That was a huge push to at least try it!! Some days I didn’t do well, we had a company picnic, and we had to travel a bit... but most days I try to focus on simply keeping my carb counts as low as possible. and making small changes, where we can. We had spaghetti one night... yes, the tomato sauce is from a jar, and had carbs. But we used zucchini instead of pasta noodles. Little changes have made a huge difference. I have no idea if I am in ketosis, and I really don't care. I still have no idea what I am doing, but I know it is working. I am down 9.2 lbs overall and down 3.8 lbs already this month. I've been weighing myself nearly every day... That is to much... but I love seeing that number move closer to 200.

I know this is a nicotine cessation forum... but it's my journal, and I can write what I want 'na na'

Basically, we took the KTC approach and just started... we still have no clue what we are doing, and that's OK. So I post this here, first to pat myself on the back (I'm down 9.2 lbs!!!) and second... to encourage anyone to just try it... start reading the labels, and stay away from carbs!!

But most importantly, I post this for accountability... accountability to myself.... I do not need to eat crap every day. I can be full and happy, and still loose weight. I can't eat potatoes every day... I can't drink a beer every night... but I can have all the bacon I want, and CHEESE!! I get to eat so much cheese!!

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »
Everytime I hear a comma guy or someone with 365 plus quit.....I get excited....it inspires and reinvigorates my quit and what I have started. Freedom that you fight for every day.