Author Topic: Working In Law Enforcement And Dipping  (Read 708 times)

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Working In Law Enforcement And Dipping
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
Quote from: Diesel29
Quote from: DJtackleberry
Well,

Here I am. I've been working in Law Enforcement for 5 years. I've spent the marjoity on patrol and a quarter of a year working narcotics.

I started dipping about a year and a half ago under the stigma that all the guys who are here, and are "good cops", dip and HAVE been dipping for 15-20 years with no issues. I figured "Well shit, I might as well toss one in too, right?"

I've tried to quit probably 4-7 times in the past year, but going back saying "I don't NEED it, I just like dipping" or "I'll only do it while I'm at work."

I then have found myself using the excuse "I only dip because I'm training a rookie and it's stressful and I need to stay up".

I had started going through a log about every 3 days. It was out of control. I cut it down to about a can every two days, but decided I will not be bringing the habbit into the new year.

The hardest part about the quit is, all the guys I work with daily dip CONSTANTLY. It makes it an extremely hard quitting environment when partnered with the stress of the job and everyone doing it.

Definitely looking for someone I can share my plight with and can provide some support!
Im here for you brother. I've been a cop for 7 years. Before that I worked in a county jail for a little over 3 years. My whole law enforcement career I've chewed. Why? Well everyone chews at the PD. And if your gonna fit in with the guys you better get started. After 6 years pushing a black and white I've moved over to investigations. Talk about a difficult place to quit. But I am going through a health scare right now and I'm only 32 with a wife and 3 kids. Thought if I was going to go it would be in a blaze of glory not because of my health. Take it from me and stick with it. Im only on day 3 and I feel like crap. Everyone in the office is pissing me off and I was ready to headbutt the last suspect I had to interview. You have a brother in blue right here man.
That's excellent brother. Day 3 as well, right there with you trying not to get fired for saying something stupid ?.
Start of day 4. Day 3 was a disaster all day and night, but here we are another day. Lets hope the brass finds something to do other than talk to me today.
Nice work guys. It wont be too much longer the fog will lift and you will begin to see things more clearly than ever. The mind games then take over. You guys CAN do this - pls PM me if you would like to exchange digits.

Don't let the bastard (nicotine) win again, you can beat it one day at a time

Offline Diesel29

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-01-01
  • Interests: Coppin for over 7 years. I love playing with my 3 kids and spending time with the wife. Riding my Harley with my LE MC. F2929F.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 08:06:00 AM »
Well,

Here I am. I've been working in Law Enforcement for 5 years. I've spent the marjoity on patrol and a quarter of a year working narcotics.

I started dipping about a year and a half ago under the stigma that all the guys who are here, and are "good cops", dip and HAVE been dipping for 15-20 years with no issues. I figured "Well shit, I might as well toss one in too, right?"

I've tried to quit probably 4-7 times in the past year, but going back saying "I don't NEED it, I just like dipping" or "I'll only do it while I'm at work."

I then have found myself using the excuse "I only dip because I'm training a rookie and it's stressful and I need to stay up".

I had started going through a log about every 3 days. It was out of control. I cut it down to about a can every two days, but decided I will not be bringing the habbit into the new year.

The hardest part about the quit is, all the guys I work with daily dip CONSTANTLY. It makes it an extremely hard quitting environment when partnered with the stress of the job and everyone doing it.

Definitely looking for someone I can share my plight with and can provide some support!
Im here for you brother. I've been a cop for 7 years. Before that I worked in a county jail for a little over 3 years. My whole law enforcement career I've chewed. Why? Well everyone chews at the PD. And if your gonna fit in with the guys you better get started. After 6 years pushing a black and white I've moved over to investigations. Talk about a difficult place to quit. But I am going through a health scare right now and I'm only 32 with a wife and 3 kids. Thought if I was going to go it would be in a blaze of glory not because of my health. Take it from me and stick with it. Im only on day 3 and I feel like crap. Everyone in the office is pissing me off and I was ready to headbutt the last suspect I had to interview. You have a brother in blue right here man.
That's excellent brother. Day 3 as well, right there with you trying not to get fired for saying something stupid ?.
Start of day 4. Day 3 was a disaster all day and night, but here we are another day. Lets hope the brass finds something to do other than talk to me today.
Show up everyday.

Offline DJtackleberry

• Interests: Law Enforcement Vet, 5 years. Collecting guns, NFA items, Suppressors, SBR's SBS, AOW. @10_8Guns on instagram.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 05:11:00 PM »
Well,

Offline Diesel29

• Quitter
  • Interests: Coppin for over 7 years. I love playing with my 3 kids and spending time with the wife. Riding my Harley with my LE MC. F2929F.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Well,

Show up everyday.

Offline DJtackleberry

• Interests: Law Enforcement Vet, 5 years. Collecting guns, NFA items, Suppressors, SBR's SBS, AOW. @10_8Guns on instagram.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
Quote from: Frobozz
Quote from: JB65
Firstly, thank you for your service to your community.

Secondly, welcome to the board. My name is Jim; I quit on 11 November 2016 at 3:30AM United States Eastern time. I'm not a law enforcement officer, but I do have a custodial job (evening shift).

Thirdly...so you started dipping because everyone else around you did? Respectfully, that's a pretty silly reason. What if everyone else around you were to jump off the Francis Scott Key bridge; would you join them?

The reasons for dipping are legion. However, the one overarching theme they all have in common is that they are all bogus. Ultimately, there's only one reason to break a quit - because we let the addiction get the better of us. Yes, addiction - whether you like it or not, we are addicts. The only difference between you, me, and the people you arrest in the narcotics trade is that our drug of choice is legal. That is it; there is no other distinction.

Ultimately, the only way out is through. If you stop using nicotine now, your metabolism will have removed all nicotine from your bloodstream by noon Thursday at the very latest. That's 72 hours. From then on in, it's all psychological.

About posting roll: Many think of posting roll as the equivalent of answering to a judge or other officer of the Court. I assure you, this is not the case. We simply pledge to each other that we will stay quit. Nothing more; nothing less. I promise to you, as a peer, that I will stay quit today. I humbly request that you reciprocate this promise today. That's what ODAAT means - One Day At A Time. In other words, I may dip tomorrow - but with the Deity's help, I'll have enough guts to stay nicotine-clean today.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.
May seem like a "silly" reason, but peer pressure is a bitch and we all know it. Regardless, I'm ready to be done. I'm a training officer, so I spend a lot of time in the passenger's seat stressed out trying to teach the new guy what to do and hoping he doesn't fuck up and kill himself, me, or someone else.

So for the longest time, I used it as an excuse. "I'll dip to relieve stress and pass the time, I don't NEED it, I just like it". Time has shown and proven, it's no longer true. I don't like feeling or being dependant, wasting my money and like everyone says, a slave to the nicotine.

Hardest part for me, aside the stress of the job, is that all 8 guys on my squad have a dip in, 24/7... They don't bust my balls for quitting/wanting to quit, but they definitely don't encourage me in my persuit of staying quit.
welcome! I'm not in LE either,however I've sold equipment for Narcotics officers since 1994. Real easy to come in for meetings and pop one in with the cops during demos and conferences...'

I'm still in that industry and attend all the trade shows and it isn't as hard as it used to be - not dipping while everyone else it seems there is... ive made huge hurdles in that respect.

All i can say is what has already been said. Man we've all 'quit' so many times - it turns out the where just stoppages. The only time I ever really quit is August 2015... when i signed on here and started posting roll everyday.

It works man, you can do this! Buy into it, drink the kool aid - whatever it takes. Ready to take this step? Lets quit together
I hear that brother. Let's do it.
DJTackleberry,

I was going to write a post so lengthy, it makes a 19th century Russian novel look like a bachelor's shopping list, but you know what? None of that matters.

I am prepared to help you overcome your addiction to nicotine. I humbly request that you join with us here on KTC, and we accomplish with unity what we cannot accomplish individually. I hope that you are posting roll in your quit group on a daily basis.

I pledge, by the help of the Deity, that I will not use nicotine today, and I will not change my mind. Will you make that same promise with me, just for today?
Absolutely. I made it today, despite some rough calls and stressfull situations. I wanted to feel that calming rush of nicotine so bad. SOOO bad. However, I remembered you guys, and how you stick it out. And I remembered why I quit and want to stay quit. So I grabbed some sunflower seeds and put it out of my mind! Time to start day 3 tomorrow!
Excellent call! ;o) For the record, physical withdrawal ends within 72 hours of the last nicotine-fix. You will be nicotine-clean by this time tomorrow. After that, it's all psychological.

You got this, friend. Keep it going, and never take another dip! ;o)
Thank you guys. So far, so good. Still holding it down. Drinking water, doing seeds/gum, ignorning the urge and reapplying myself to other things to keep my mind off of it.

Offline Frobozz

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »

Secondly, welcome to the board. My name is Jim; I quit on 11 November 2016 at 3:30AM United States Eastern time. I'm not a law enforcement officer, but I do have a custodial job (evening shift).

Thirdly...so you started dipping because everyone else around you did? Respectfully, that's a pretty silly reason. What if everyone else around you were to jump off the Francis Scott Key bridge; would you join them?

The reasons for dipping are legion. However, the one overarching theme they all have in common is that they are all bogus. Ultimately, there's only one reason to break a quit - because we let the addiction get the better of us. Yes, addiction - whether you like it or not, we are addicts. The only difference between you, me, and the people you arrest in the narcotics trade is that our drug of choice is legal. That is it; there is no other distinction.

Ultimately, the only way out is through. If you stop using nicotine now, your metabolism will have removed all nicotine from your bloodstream by noon Thursday at the very latest. That's 72 hours. From then on in, it's all psychological.

About posting roll: Many think of posting roll as the equivalent of answering to a judge or other officer of the Court. I assure you, this is not the case. We simply pledge to each other that we will stay quit. Nothing more; nothing less. I promise to you, as a peer, that I will stay quit today. I humbly request that you reciprocate this promise today. That's what ODAAT means - One Day At A Time. In other words, I may dip tomorrow - but with the Deity's help, I'll have enough guts to stay nicotine-clean today.

May seem like a "silly" reason, but peer pressure is a bitch and we all know it. Regardless, I'm ready to be done. I'm a training officer, so I spend a lot of time in the passenger's seat stressed out trying to teach the new guy what to do and hoping he doesn't fuck up and kill himself, me, or someone else.

So for the longest time, I used it as an excuse. "I'll dip to relieve stress and pass the time, I don't NEED it, I just like it". Time has shown and proven, it's no longer true. I don't like feeling or being dependant, wasting my money and like everyone says, a slave to the nicotine.

Hardest part for me, aside the stress of the job, is that all 8 guys on my squad have a dip in, 24/7... They don't bust my balls for quitting/wanting to quit, but they definitely don't encourage me in my persuit of staying quit.
welcome! I'm not in LE either,however I've sold equipment for Narcotics officers since 1994. Real easy to come in for meetings and pop one in with the cops during demos and conferences...'

I'm still in that industry and attend all the trade shows and it isn't as hard as it used to be - not dipping while everyone else it seems there is... ive made huge hurdles in that respect.

All i can say is what has already been said. Man we've all 'quit' so many times - it turns out the where just stoppages. The only time I ever really quit is August 2015... when i signed on here and started posting roll everyday.

It works man, you can do this! Buy into it, drink the kool aid - whatever it takes. Ready to take this step? Lets quit together
DJTackleberry,

I was going to write a post so lengthy, it makes a 19th century Russian novel look like a bachelor's shopping list, but you know what? None of that matters.

I am prepared to help you overcome your addiction to nicotine. I humbly request that you join with us here on KTC, and we accomplish with unity what we cannot accomplish individually. I hope that you are posting roll in your quit group on a daily basis.

I pledge, by the help of the Deity, that I will not use nicotine today, and I will not change my mind. Will you make that same promise with me, just for today?
Absolutely. I made it today, despite some rough calls and stressfull situations. I wanted to feel that calming rush of nicotine so bad. SOOO bad. However, I remembered you guys, and how you stick it out. And I remembered why I quit and want to stay quit. So I grabbed some sunflower seeds and put it out of my mind! Time to start day 3 tomorrow!
Excellent call! ;o) For the record, physical withdrawal ends within 72 hours of the last nicotine-fix. You will be nicotine-clean by this time tomorrow. After that, it's all psychological.

You got this, friend. Keep it going, and never take another dip! ;o)

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
If a slothlike glutton like myself can quit, so can a man of discipline!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline Medic

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-07-16
  • Interests: Rock climbing,playing poker,running,reading,playing drums or the guitar,and most importantly,spending time with my wife and daughter.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »

DJTackleberry,

DJ, while I'm not a cop, I've worked in EMS for the 20 years, the past 8 of which working for FDNY EMS in NYC. Working as a paramedic in some of the toughest neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the South Bronx, I know a bit about the stresses of a stressful job. I also know that this drug may very well kill you before your job does, and that KTC works. Through brother- and sisterhood, and an awe- inspiring web of accountability, we help each other get through it, One Day At A Time. Ok, the commercial is over now.

It sounds like you honestly want to quit, and that's great. It's the first step. My advice to you is this: surrender yourself to the addiction, and buy into EVERYTHING that KTC offers. We call it 'drinking the Kool-Aid'. This site is so basic, yet it works. The thing you need to know is that you'll only get out of it what you put into it. In the beginning, get as involved as you possibly can. Post roll daily (I believe you'll be in April), read as much as you can on here (there's tons, trust me), really take the time to get to know your quit brothers and sisters, build relationships, and when you're ready, help to mentor younger/ newer quitters. All of these things are a recipe for success, and they'll turn all those "stoppages" into 1 big ol' QUIT. And check your PM (private mail). I've left you some other goodies. Good luck, and Be Well.
Hey, you look awesome without a jaw. --- Nobody

... don't pull a Medic! --- CavMan83

Go to sleep with itchy bunghole, wake up with stinky finger. --- Confucius

"Brotherhood + Accountability + Dick Pics = Success."---PKY1520

Deez nuts. ---Me

Offline DJtackleberry

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »

DJTackleberry,

Offline Frobozz

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »

DJTackleberry,

Offline DJtackleberry

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »

Offline JB65

• Quitting MoFo
  • Lennie and Henry
  • Quit Date: August 17, 2015
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

welcome! I'm not in LE either,however I've sold equipment for Narcotics officers since 1994.  Real easy to come in for meetings and pop one in with the cops during demos and conferences...'

Offline DJtackleberry

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »

Offline Frobozz

• BANNED
  • Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »

Offline Grievous Angel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: Jan 5, 2015
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
Well,

Get on over to the April 2017 and post roll, and get involved.

topic/30106725/

That's what you do every day. I too tried "nicotine reduction" but it never worked. Good decision to quit like a bad ass.

We have plenty of law enforcement types on here so you'll be in good company.