Author Topic: It's finally time  (Read 811 times)

Offline nicofiend

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: It's finally time
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 03:29:00 PM »
Quote from: whacko
Amazing Post! It must be tough to quit in the heartland of Ameican Tobacco farming! My dad grew up in Owensboro and worked tobacco farms in the 60's as a kid. He's long gone now......passed away when I was 21. He smoked for most of his life and a heart attack got him.

Anyway.......I am proud of you Phil for having the courage to quit when tobacco is such so socially accepted!

Oh and give the fieldsa finger for me the next time you are out and about!
The KILLING FIELDS!

Offline whacko

• Quitter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Amazing Post! It must be tough to quit in the heartland of Ameican Tobacco farming! My dad grew up in Owensboro and worked tobacco farms in the 60's as a kid. He's long gone now......passed away when I was 21. He smoked for most of his life and a heart attack got him.

Anyway.......I am proud of you Phil for having the courage to quit when tobacco is such so socially accepted!

Oh and give the fieldsa finger for me the next time you are out and about!
EX ninja dipper!
Felt good to come clean on August 12, 2011

Offline Phil4

• Quitter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
So in my intro 40 days ago I said I would keep subsequent posts more to the point. Apologies for blabbing here once again. Since IÂ’m not a frequent poster (other than roll call with the October 2011 Basterds), just consider this my pent-up need to spew. This is just stuff thatÂ’s been on my mind lately. Nothing rage-related (hopefully I'm past the worst of that), but rather some random musings in case youÂ’ve got nothing better to read.

I always think back to my youth every year about this time. Twenty-some-odd years ago right about now, I likely would have been cutting tobacco on my granddadÂ’s farm and hanging it in the barns to cure. We younger guys always had the fun (and slightly dangerous) job of climbing up high in the barns - at least two or three rafters up - to hang the poles. Cutting tobacco always meant Summer was fading and school would be starting soon. While I hated the thought of school returning (except for high school football season!), I cherished those days working on the farm with my granddad. I remember his cap pulled low over his brow, his Oshkosh work clothes, his boots, his big tough leather hands, and of course the big juicy chew he usually had in his jaw. It wasnÂ’t Redman or Wrangler, but the homemade twisted rope stuff - - granddadÂ’s candy. It had the texture of cardboard and would set your mouth on fire. I only tried it once behind his back, and it made me turn three shades of green.

Growing up in Kentucky, I guess I associate certain times of the year with tobacco farming. I was never too deeply involved with it. I just provided an extra hand (cheap labor!) on the farm when it was needed. Early Spring meant putting out seed in starter beds and covering them with black plastic to absorb the sunÂ’s heat and to protect from frost. Then, towards the end of school in May, it was time to transplant the seedlings to the field. I always liked riding the tobacco setter, or even better driving the tractor. Later, mid-Summer meant it was time for topping and suckering the plants. There was also endless hoeing and pulling off big nasty green worms. Now weÂ’re back to late Summer and school getting ready to start again. ItÂ’s time to cut tobacco and hang up in the barns to cure. In a few months, it will be time to take down, strip, and haul off to the Burley warehouse. Seems like that is always right before Thanksgiving. I remember Christmas never being too far off, and I remember granddad burning the wood stove to keep us warm while we stripped tobacco. Sometimes the radio would be on and weÂ’d listen to Caywood Ledford (the voice of the Wildcats) call Kentucky ballgames.

Tobacco farming in Kentucky nowadays is not what it used to be, although itÂ’s still an important cash crop in the state. It was vitally important to my family in generations past. The money from tobacco farming afforded my grandparents a lot of things they otherwise wouldnÂ’t have had. It afforded both my mom and dad each a college education, the first in both of their families. Because of this, they were able to raise themselves up the socio-economic ladder which has directly benefited me in my own life. IÂ’m better off because of my familyÂ’s tobacco farming heritage. ItÂ’s a rich heritage not only in my own family, but in countless others as well.

This yearÂ’s crop looks excellent. WeÂ’ve had a lot of rain this Summer, so the leaves look especially good. While IÂ’m not a farmer and havenÂ’t had any part of it since I was a kid, I still take interest in it. IÂ’m always interested to see how the crops are doing. I enjoy looking at the farms that I pass on the drive to and from my office. I like to watch as they cut and later haul off to the barns to be hung. For the next few weeks, it wonÂ’t be uncommon to get stuck on the road behind a slow tractor pulling a tobacco wagon to the barn. It seems like the farmers are all using Mexican labor these days, but I guess thatÂ’s another topic altogetherÂ… TheyÂ’ve started cutting in recent days. TheyÂ’ll let the cut tobacco sit out in the fields for another couple days to cure in the sun before they take to the barns for hanging.

And how about that. School has started too. Right on queue. Yep, you can mark your calendar by the tobacco crop. Summer is fading to Fall.

ItÂ’s a weird feeling now as I drive through our picturesque Kentucky farm country. I love my Bluegrass State and my heritage. This is my home. And the process of raising tobacco, growing it from seed in the early Spring and taking it to market late in the Fall, is hard work for which I have the deepest respect and admiration. It is a family affair with generations of fine heritage.

But you know what? When I look at it all now after being quit these many days, I WANT TO SET FIRE TO THOSE FIELDS AND BARNS. I now look at those plants for what they truly are - - weeds that make us slaves to a horrible and nasty drug. A drug packed in a leaf that has pollutants that will make your jaw fall off or your lungs turn black. A leaf that will slowly but surely suck the life out of you, be a drain on you and your family, and send you to a painful early grave. Ironically, it didnÂ’t kill my tobacco farming/chewing granddad, and it didnÂ’t kill me after 18 years of using it. But itÂ’s killed or maimed countless others, and has deeply hurt their loved ones in the process.

I am so glad to be quit from that awful leaf. I feel sorry for all those who are still at its mercy today and havenÂ’t made the decision to quit. All those leaves I see TODAY in the fields around me are being harvested and are bound for some poor soulÂ’s lip or lungs. I wish I could destroy them before they ever get to market. That feels weird for me to say. IÂ’m not in favor of outlawing tobacco. I believe in freedom and individual liberty. But seriously, when you really stop and think about it, it really does seem crazy this cycle that we so willingly accept in our 21st century society. For all the destruction, misery, and cost that tobacco brings us, it really is lunacy that we tolerate it. It feels especially crazy to me because I get to watch it being farmed right outside my window, and I know the effects it will have on peopleÂ’s lives. But I understand. ItÂ’s not illegal. People want it. ItÂ’s a choice. Farmers make their living by it. Yada, yada, yada. ItÂ’s still a vicious, vile weed.

I canÂ’t do anything about the above, but I can sure as hell stay quit today. So thatÂ’s what I will do. My little personal protest to all the poisonous weeds being harvested around me. I can even get some satisfaction by giving the weed the finger out the window as I drive past all those tobacco fields and barns. (No offense, neighbors. ItÂ’s not aimed at you!). Heck, I may even pull over and do a victory dance right in front of her. Or, better yet, take a big piss all over her. Remember that, potential cavers! The next dip you put in your lip might come from a piss-soaked plant! Man, it feels good to tackle the nic bitch head-on, right in her own back yard no less.

Well, I guess thatÂ’s enough musings for today. Time to shut up and keep on quitting. Good talking at you basterds. I feel better.

Phil4
October 2011 Inglorious Basterds of Quit
Quit 07/14/11
HOF 10/21/11
2nd 01/30/12
3rd 05/08/12

Offline jmiah

• Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball, hiking, working out (usually), my wife, and my awesome dog, Gunner.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
I'm glad you're in here too, brother. We'll get through this thing together one day or even hour at a stinkin' time. I don't know about you, but I once walked through some crazy ass blizzard in the wind and blowing snow just to get a mile down the road to buy some Skoal Mint. Oh no, can't run out of daddy's medicine! No more, we will ride out this withdrawal and deal with the pain. I'm here if you need me.

Jeremy
candor dat viribus alas
Sincerity gives wings to strength.

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Quote from: Souliman
"......there is a "you" that is being overrun by an addict."
Love this quote, Soul. This is what every new quitter that comes here must realize. I really do believe that this realization is one of the first steps to success.
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline Souliman

• Quitting MoFo
  • Interests: Swim Bike Run - Shooting - Chasing my boys around.
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
You got this bro. This is the place. If you truly believe you're done, this will seal the deal. We will drive a stake through that haunting nag. You will be quit and it will be strong. You will muster hate and your quit will be vengeance.

Here's the only thing I would add. If you are looking for reason, you don't need to look any further than yourself. The man you were when you started had just as much self-worth as the man you are today. Losing your life then would be just as tragic as losing your life today. I don't want to discount your accomplishments but there is a "you" that is being overrun by an addict. Need to get that guy front and center.

Welcome aboard. Keep your word. Post roll every fucking day...no excuses. Can't get to a computer? Text a quit bro/sis. This site is an incredible resource. When shit hits the fan, USE THIS SITE. The knowledge around nicotine addiction combined with support you will find no where else. Like the others said, reach out if you need anything.

-Soul

Offline nicofiend

• Quitter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Philipians: Wise decision you made to kick the nic bitch out of your life! Hang tuff 'bang head' and take it one day QUIT at a time!! nico

Offline Leahy16

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Excellent post.

You can do this
Quit Date Jun 5, 2011; HOF Sep 12, 2011; 1,000 days Feb 28, 2014

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I see you have posted. Well done. Welcome to the club of quit. You have your life back. PM me if you need help. You can count on me.

Offline jaygib

• Quitter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
You can this with God's strength and a stedfast will He has given you. I've made a covenant with God, you and the rest of the men and women on this site that I'm not using today and I've seen you've done the same. I'm proud to be quit with you. We're here for you and with you.
Quit January 19, 2011

Everything is permissible for me but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Cor 6:12

Offline Jtricher

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Quote from: Philippians413
So, I quit.
Hell yes you quit. Say it again. I QUIT. Welcome to freedom. The key here is posting roll every day. When you do so, you give your word to this community that you will not use today and will stay clean. It is accountability at its finest, because those whom you are giving your promise to are just like you. Addicts that want to be free and Kick the Hell Out of the Can. Congratulations on your quit. JT
I chose Freedom on May 26, 2011, at 9:16 PM CST. My Introduction
I entered the HOF on September 2, 2011, at 7:08 AM CST. My HOF Speech

Offline MikeA

• Quit Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
It's time to post roll. Head over to the October group and introduce yourself to your quit brothers.
how to post roll

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Philippians413
I never thought I would write anything like this. Certainly nothing this lengthy. This looks like a hall of fame length speech, but I havenÂ’t earned that privilege. Writing all of this out has been helpful to me though. I promise IÂ’ll shut up and keep any subsequent posts more to the point.

A couple days ago, I Googled “quit dipping”, and killthecan.org popped up on the screen. Since then, I have spent several hours on this site looking at all of the resource material and also reading your stories. I’m really glad (and honestly relieved) to find that I’m just like many of you. I AM many of you. I’m a 35 year old man. I have a wonderful wife (who’s smokin’ hot) and two beautiful kids who love their daddy. I’m college educated with a Master’s degree. I’m a mid-level professional in a Fortune 500 company. I have a great career, make a good salary, live in a nice house, have wonderful family and friends, get to do fun and interesting things, etc. I am blessed. I have a great life.

Yet every day, I risk screwing it all up.

Every day, I put poison in my bottom lip - - about a can per dayÂ’s worth. The really crazy part is that every day I also pray for God to forgive me for hurting myself, and to protect me from the consequences. I know that He does forgive me, each and every day. He is always faithful to forgive. But, that doesnÂ’t mean I may not ever have to face the consequences. ItÂ’s the exact same way with my own kids. I love them and would die for them, and of course I always forgive them for the wrong that they do. Still, that doesnÂ’t mean they may not have consequences to pay.

I know all of this. Yet still, I do wrong. I fear the consequences and hope itÂ’s not too late.

I have the same addiction that all of you have. IÂ’ve carried it with me for half of my life. IÂ’ve satisfied it in either one of two ways - - Marlboro Lights or Copenhagen Snuff. I think IÂ’ve given equally as many years to both, swapping one for the other for periods of time. But the most recent several years have been pretty much nothing but Cope. My first ever chew was my granddadÂ’s old rope tobacco when I was a young kid, probably 10-12 years old. I thought it was cool how he could spit what seemed liked 10 feet and could hit the same spot on the ground every time. I sneaked some of it, cut off a plug, put it in, andÂ….. it was awful. I never tried it again. Years later, in high school, it was Kodiak Wintergreen. I was riding home one Friday night on the team bus after weÂ’d played an away football game. All the tough players dipped. Some of the coaches did too. I was probably 16-17 years old at the time. Kodiak and Cope went to college with me where they turned into cigarettes for a time. It was back to Cope exclusively though when I got married. (My wife begrudgingly tolerates dip, but not smoke). I canÂ’t remember my last day without a pinch.

Thinking through all of this and trying to remember these details has been really eye-opening (and sad) for me. What a master nicotine has been over me. I’ve read stories in some of your posts about some of the seemingly odd things you’ve done to enable your dipping. Let me tell you, I’ve done them too. I particularly like the “Top 100 Benefits of Quitting” post. I’ve done a lot of those same things, and could probably add a few to the list.

I’ve tried and failed quitting before. It’s never been the “right time”, or so I’ve told myself. As if there ever is a “right time” other than now. I’m sure many of you have done like I have and said, “I’ll quit after this can.” Or, “I’ll quit next Monday.” Or, “I’ll quit on such-and-so anniversary.” Whatever. I also said I would quit when I graduated college. That became whenever I got married, which became whenever I had kids, which became when I turned 30, which became when I turned 35. Well, I’m 35 now and have been for a few months, and I’m honestly just tired of this. Just so sick and tired. I’m tired of being a slave, and I’m tired of worrying about the consequences. I want a long healthy life. I’ve been blessed with a really good one so far. Just like all of you guys. I don’t want to screw this thing up.

So, I quit.
Outstanding...great post!!!

Glad to be quit with you today. Stay strong through the weekend and PM if you need numbers, or anything else.

Offline Phil4

• Quitter
It's finally time
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
I never thought I would write anything like this. Certainly nothing this lengthy. This looks like a hall of fame length speech, but I havenÂ’t earned that privilege. Writing all of this out has been helpful to me though. I promise IÂ’ll shut up and keep any subsequent posts more to the point.

A couple days ago, I Googled “quit dipping”, and killthecan.org popped up on the screen. Since then, I have spent several hours on this site looking at all of the resource material and also reading your stories. I’m really glad (and honestly relieved) to find that I’m just like many of you. I AM many of you. I’m a 35 year old man. I have a wonderful wife (who’s smokin’ hot) and two beautiful kids who love their daddy. I’m college educated with a Master’s degree. I’m a mid-level professional in a Fortune 500 company. I have a great career, make a good salary, live in a nice house, have wonderful family and friends, get to do fun and interesting things, etc. I am blessed. I have a great life.

Yet every day, I risk screwing it all up.

Every day, I put poison in my bottom lip - - about a can per dayÂ’s worth. The really crazy part is that every day I also pray for God to forgive me for hurting myself, and to protect me from the consequences. I know that He does forgive me, each and every day. He is always faithful to forgive. But, that doesnÂ’t mean I may not ever have to face the consequences. ItÂ’s the exact same way with my own kids. I love them and would die for them, and of course I always forgive them for the wrong that they do. Still, that doesnÂ’t mean they may not have consequences to pay.

I know all of this. Yet still, I do wrong. I fear the consequences and hope itÂ’s not too late.

I have the same addiction that all of you have. IÂ’ve carried it with me for half of my life. IÂ’ve satisfied it in either one of two ways - - Marlboro Lights or Copenhagen Snuff. I think IÂ’ve given equally as many years to both, swapping one for the other for periods of time. But the most recent several years have been pretty much nothing but Cope. My first ever chew was my granddadÂ’s old rope tobacco when I was a young kid, probably 10-12 years old. I thought it was cool how he could spit what seemed liked 10 feet and could hit the same spot on the ground every time. I sneaked some of it, cut off a plug, put it in, andÂ….. it was awful. I never tried it again. Years later, in high school, it was Kodiak Wintergreen. I was riding home one Friday night on the team bus after weÂ’d played an away football game. All the tough players dipped. Some of the coaches did too. I was probably 16-17 years old at the time. Kodiak and Cope went to college with me where they turned into cigarettes for a time. It was back to Cope exclusively though when I got married. (My wife begrudgingly tolerates dip, but not smoke). I canÂ’t remember my last day without a pinch.

Thinking through all of this and trying to remember these details has been really eye-opening (and sad) for me. What a master nicotine has been over me. I’ve read stories in some of your posts about some of the seemingly odd things you’ve done to enable your dipping. Let me tell you, I’ve done them too. I particularly like the “Top 100 Benefits of Quitting” post. I’ve done a lot of those same things, and could probably add a few to the list.

I’ve tried and failed quitting before. It’s never been the “right time”, or so I’ve told myself. As if there ever is a “right time” other than now. I’m sure many of you have done like I have and said, “I’ll quit after this can.” Or, “I’ll quit next Monday.” Or, “I’ll quit on such-and-so anniversary.” Whatever. I also said I would quit when I graduated college. That became whenever I got married, which became whenever I had kids, which became when I turned 30, which became when I turned 35. Well, I’m 35 now and have been for a few months, and I’m honestly just tired of this. Just so sick and tired. I’m tired of being a slave, and I’m tired of worrying about the consequences. I want a long healthy life. I’ve been blessed with a really good one so far. Just like all of you guys. I don’t want to screw this thing up.

So, I quit.
Quit 07/14/11
HOF 10/21/11
2nd 01/30/12
3rd 05/08/12