Author Topic: 10 years dipping  (Read 4610 times)

Offline RagingJew

• BANNED
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 10 years dipping
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Go cold turkey man.
It was one of the most difficult yet satisfying things I have ever done in my life. Do not be afraid of withdrawl. The worst of it lasts for maybe 3 or 4 days, then you're body will go through some changes as it adjusts to the lack of harsh cancerous stimulants and shit-foul smelling breath. You'll get headaches, mouth-sores, sore throats, anxiety, fogginess, and possibly the shits, but the freedom you gain in return is well worth it. It's just the price we pay for getting hooked up with that bitch in the first place. You can't use nicotine to lose your addiction of nicotine.

Don't be a pussy. Kick that nasty nic-whore to the curb. Embrace the suck. Join us!

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Quote from: bigbamadan
I a little trick I used...

I didn't put dip in my mouth.  They don't make a harry potter flavor.  Shit just ain't going to magically get in there on its own.

I make a firm conscious decision each day that I will not use nicotine in any form.  From that point I follow through with said decision.  Like my dad always told me growing up..."say what you mean, mean what you say."  I've backed up my commitment to quit with action for damn near 500 days.  You can make that same choice too.

And really buddy...you ain't quitting from what I read below.  So don't go get all worried about how you are going to make this happen.  You are just changing your delivery method.  Patches and gum???  Maybe you could consider also throwing in an occasional pack of camels.

First thing you need to do is acknowledge you are addicted to nicotine.  Then see where that takes you.
Uh, I missed the patches and gum part. You ain't quitting, buddy. You're addicted to nicotine. Why on earth would you keep ingesting it? Seriously, I used the nic gum for 7 days. It's easy to quit when you're still using nicotine. Because you ain't quit.

After seven days on the gum, I started thinking I should just start dipping again because I still hadn't broken my addiction to nicotine. 'Crazy'

Because of this site, I realized that was nothing more than my addiction trying to convince me to start using again. Thank goodness I wised up and tossed the damn gum and really quit. That was 207 days ago. Was it tough? Damn straight. Is it going to be tough for you? You bet. Can you do it? Absolutely, if you make the DECISION that you will do WHATEVER it takes to stay nic free. Will it get better? Absolutely, and it's SO worth it.

Stop delaying the inevitable. You aren't going to step down your nicotine intake and make it suck less. Who are you going to believe? Doctors who have read studies, some probably funded by nicotine gum/patches/lozenges manufacturers........,or a bunch of dudes who are addicts and have taken back their lives? We have the tools. Quit our way. Toss the nic and get busy quitting.

Offline bigbamadan

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-03-23
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
I a little trick I used...

I didn't put dip in my mouth. They don't make a harry potter flavor. Shit just ain't going to magically get in there on its own.

I make a firm conscious decision each day that I will not use nicotine in any form. From that point I follow through with said decision. Like my dad always told me growing up..."say what you mean, mean what you say." I've backed up my commitment to quit with action for damn near 500 days. You can make that same choice too.

And really buddy...you ain't quitting from what I read below. So don't go get all worried about how you are going to make this happen. You are just changing your delivery method. Patches and gum??? Maybe you could consider also throwing in an occasional pack of camels.

First thing you need to do is acknowledge you are addicted to nicotine. Then see where that takes you.
Quit: 3/23/10
All good things in all good time.

Offline Kdip

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quitting and helping others quit, riding my motorcycle, baseball, football, old furniture restoration, junk collecting, vintage arcade machines, rafting, tubing, camping, my family and dog
  • Likes Given: 295
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
Quote from: gmann
Quote from: Highwayman1890
I'm in a full sweat thinking about the commitment I'll be tied to after I submit this.
Damn right you are. But guess what? You CAN do this. My story is no different from yours. All it takes if for you to make the DECISION that you will not ingest nicotine today. Post that promise for all to see. Expect a promise, in return, from all of us that we won't use nic today either.

There are folks here who have been quit for years...but they did it one day at a time. Post roll. Keep your word. Get up tomorrow and repeat. It will save your life if you let it.

Yell if you need anything.

gmann 206 days of freedom
Like Gmann says...,ONE DAY AT A TIME! That's all we ask! We Worry about today for now and and deal with tomorrow when tomorrow comes! 1063 Days free...

Offline MikeA

• Quit Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
A trick I used was to NOT deprive myself of anything else I wanted. If I wanted a Big Mac, I got a Big Mac...maybe 2. You will gain weight but it can come off later.

Exercise also will help clear up the fog and get your mind off of dip for a few minutes.

Drink a TON of water. I liked 1/2 water, 1/2 cranberry juice.

Get some melatonin for sleep.

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Quote from: Highwayman1890
I'm in a full sweat thinking about the commitment I'll be tied to after I submit this.
Damn right you are. But guess what? You CAN do this. My story is no different from yours. All it takes if for you to make the DECISION that you will not ingest nicotine today. Post that promise for all to see. Expect a promise, in return, from all of us that we won't use nic today either.

There are folks here who have been quit for years...but they did it one day at a time. Post roll. Keep your word. Get up tomorrow and repeat. It will save your life if you let it.

Yell if you need anything.

gmann 206 days of freedom

Offline ninereasons

• Quitter
  • Interests: Quit
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
I can sure relate to your description of a life absolutely defined by a stupid habit. Dipping became who you are. It's what you did whenever you did just about anything.
Not any more. Congratulations!

You've redefined yourself. You are a quitter. You quit first thing in the morning and at the end of the day, when you're happy or bored, when you drive, fish, golf, hike, or lay around on the padded furniture with a beer resting on your formerly-spit-stained wife-beater. You were a slave to chew. Now you're a slave to your word. I don't know you, but I like the new guy a lot better.

It's all wishing you were someone else though, until you get rid of the nicotine. Until then, you're still a user.

Offline per034

• Quitter
  • Interests: My family - 2 amazingly brilliant and beautiful children and an equally amazing and beautiful wife. Sports - Mets and Giants for teams, golf for weekends... Bagpipes. Been playing bagpipes longer than I've been dipping. And that's a long friggin' time.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Welcome highwayman - throw away the patch and gum. You're just delaying your quit.

A common misconception - you're not addicted to dip. You're addicted to nicotine. Dip is a habit. Nicotine is an addiction. The patch and gum just keep fueling that addiction.

When you've come clean of all nicotine, the November quit group will be ready for you.
The love you get here is conditional. The condition is that you are quit.

"Every time you bump someone and dont fix it, a kitten dies" - Jost2Brown

Offline Highwayman1890

• Quitter
10 years dipping
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
It's been 10 year since the first dip. Every day since I have had a can in my pocket and a spit cup in or around me and I'm quitting today. I'm in a full sweat thinking about the commitment I'll be tied to after I submit this. I'm 28 years old and about to be 29 and I'm ready to be done. Every morning I find myself tacking on "A can of Copenhagen long cut" to every purchase from a gas station, but tomorrow will be the first day that I don't say it. I'm terrified of cancer, terrified of the diseases that will come from dipping, and tired of telling myself that I'll quit next week, next month, in 2012, whatever. I dip when I'm bored, when I'm happy, in movie theaters, road trips, mornings, on the way to work, on the way home from work, at work, and I'm leaving it behind today. I've never posted on a message board and still don't really know how to work them but I'll stay with it and post progress in the days and months following. If anyone has any tricks or help let me know as I'm sure I'll need it. I'm starting with patches and gum to see where that takes me but right now I'm looking down a very long, very challenging road to freedom. By Thanksgiving I'll be 100 days in and I'll see you guys in the HOF posts.