Author Topic: "Every thing I do.......I do it for chew"  (Read 3016 times)

Offline dr_jones_25

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Every thing I do.......I do it for chew"
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
Quote from: Eric71
Quote from: dr_jones_25
Quote from: Skoal
So, these fucking dip dreams are happening more and more frequently. I'm actually doing great with the craves, they barely happen anymore. I don't think about it much, but I am dreaming about having a dip now, and they are so real that I feel like posting my cave on the site as soon as I get up. Anyone relate to this psychological bullshit?? 'Crazy'
The Chewing Dream

Chewing dreams are common if not universal among ex-chewers. It is especially common when a person is off a short time period, and if it occurs within days or weeks of quitting, it is likely to be extremely disturbing and very realistic. Realistic enough in fact that the ex-dipper will wake-up smelling and tasting a chew, convinced that he or she has actually chewed.

The dream can be interpreted in one of two ways upon awakening, and quite often, the ex-Chewer takes it as a sign that they actually want to chew. After all, they had been off chewing and just dreamt about it that means they want to chew, right?

I used to get calls in the middle of the night for clinic participants panicked by the dream. They would start off saying, "They can�t believe it, off all this time and they still want to chew." They knew they wanted to chew because they dreamt about it. I would then ask them to describe the dream. They would tell about the vividness and realism, and they would almost always say it started to take on a nightmarish proportion. They would wake up in a sweat, often crying, thinking that they just chewed and blew the whole thing, that they were now back to square one. That all that time off chewing was wasted.

As soon as they would finish describing their feelings, I pointed out one very obvious fact. They just dreamt they chewed and assumed that meant that they wanted to chew. They woke up and upon further clarification, they describe the dream was a nightmare. This is not the dream of someone who wants to chew; it is the dream of someone who is afraid of chewing. This is a legitimate fear considering the ex-dipper is fighting a powerful and deadly addiction. Hence, it is a legitimate dream too. It kind of gives you a sense of how bad you would feel if you actually do go back to chewing. Not physically speaking but psychologically. If the dream is a nightmare it makes you realize how bad this feeling is without having to actually have chewed and fallen into the grasp of nicotine addiction again. It can give you some perspective about how important not chewing is to your mental health.

The dangerous dream is when you chew a whole can in it, have the aching gums and tongue sores, get socially ostracized, develop some horrible illness, end up on your death bed about to let out your final live breath�and all of a sudden wake up with a smile on your face and say, "that was great, wish I could do that when I am awake." As long as that is not the dream you were having, I wouldn�t let myself get to discouraged by it. In regards to chewing, no matter what you do in your dreams you will be OK as long as you remember in your waking state to Never Take Another Chew!
Thanks for the post. My dreams are definitely not triggers by any means, but more so a reminder that this isn't over. I hate that they are so real. Like you said, it's an emotional failure. I just hope that they are less intense moving forward and they don't happen so frequently. Yes, it's just a dream, but I hate the feeling it brings with it.
Doc,

Haven't had the experience of a dip dream yet so I can't be much of a sounding board for that but I would try to use it as a motivational tool for yourself. Look at it this way, your commitment to your quit is so strong that the urges and craves do not exist in your conscious state. It is only during a state of sleep that the addict behavior can rear its ugly head and attempt to attack your subconscious state of mind. That, in my book, is a powerful quit brother. I am proud to be quit with you again today.
Thanks for the support Eric. I love that you are part of the October Madman group!!! Quit with you!

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2012, 06:05:00 AM »
So, these fucking dip dreams are happening more and more frequently. I'm actually doing great with the craves, they barely happen anymore. I don't think about it much, but I am dreaming about having a dip now, and they are so real that I feel like posting my cave on the site as soon as I get up. Anyone relate to this psychological bullshit?? 'Crazy'
The Chewing Dream

Chewing dreams are common if not universal among ex-chewers. It is especially common when a person is off a short time period, and if it occurs within days or weeks of quitting, it is likely to be extremely disturbing and very realistic. Realistic enough in fact that the ex-dipper will wake-up smelling and tasting a chew, convinced that he or she has actually chewed.

The dream can be interpreted in one of two ways upon awakening, and quite often, the ex-Chewer takes it as a sign that they actually want to chew. After all, they had been off chewing and just dreamt about it that means they want to chew, right?

I used to get calls in the middle of the night for clinic participants panicked by the dream. They would start off saying, "They can�t believe it, off all this time and they still want to chew." They knew they wanted to chew because they dreamt about it. I would then ask them to describe the dream. They would tell about the vividness and realism, and they would almost always say it started to take on a nightmarish proportion. They would wake up in a sweat, often crying, thinking that they just chewed and blew the whole thing, that they were now back to square one. That all that time off chewing was wasted.

As soon as they would finish describing their feelings, I pointed out one very obvious fact. They just dreamt they chewed and assumed that meant that they wanted to chew. They woke up and upon further clarification, they describe the dream was a nightmare. This is not the dream of someone who wants to chew; it is the dream of someone who is afraid of chewing. This is a legitimate fear considering the ex-dipper is fighting a powerful and deadly addiction. Hence, it is a legitimate dream too. It kind of gives you a sense of how bad you would feel if you actually do go back to chewing. Not physically speaking but psychologically. If the dream is a nightmare it makes you realize how bad this feeling is without having to actually have chewed and fallen into the grasp of nicotine addiction again. It can give you some perspective about how important not chewing is to your mental health.

The dangerous dream is when you chew a whole can in it, have the aching gums and tongue sores, get socially ostracized, develop some horrible illness, end up on your death bed about to let out your final live breath�and all of a sudden wake up with a smile on your face and say, "that was great, wish I could do that when I am awake." As long as that is not the dream you were having, I wouldn�t let myself get to discouraged by it. In regards to chewing, no matter what you do in your dreams you will be OK as long as you remember in your waking state to Never Take Another Chew!
Thanks for the post. My dreams are definitely not triggers by any means, but more so a reminder that this isn't over. I hate that they are so real. Like you said, it's an emotional failure. I just hope that they are less intense moving forward and they don't happen so frequently. Yes, it's just a dream, but I hate the feeling it brings with it.
Doc,

Haven't had the experience of a dip dream yet so I can't be much of a sounding board for that but I would try to use it as a motivational tool for yourself. Look at it this way, your commitment to your quit is so strong that the urges and craves do not exist in your conscious state. It is only during a state of sleep that the addict behavior can rear its ugly head and attempt to attack your subconscious state of mind. That, in my book, is a powerful quit brother. I am proud to be quit with you again today.

Offline dr_jones_25

• Quitter
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
The Chewing Dream

I used to get calls in the middle of the night for clinic participants panicked by the dream. They would start off saying, "They canÂ’t believe it, off all this time and they still want to chew." They knew they wanted to chew because they dreamt about it. I would then ask them to describe the dream. They would tell about the vividness and realism, and they would almost always say it started to take on a nightmarish proportion. They would wake up in a sweat, often crying, thinking that they just chewed and blew the whole thing, that they were now back to square one. That all that time off chewing was wasted.

The dangerous dream is when you chew a whole can in it, have the aching gums and tongue sores, get socially ostracized, develop some horrible illness, end up on your death bed about to let out your final live breath—and all of a sudden wake up with a smile on your face and say, "that was great, wish I could do that when I am awake." As long as that is not the dream you were having, I wouldn’t let myself get to discouraged by it. In regards to chewing, no matter what you do in your dreams you will be OK as long as you remember in your waking state to Never Take Another Chew!

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
The Chewing Dream

I used to get calls in the middle of the night for clinic participants panicked by the dream. They would start off saying, "They canÂ’t believe it, off all this time and they still want to chew." They knew they wanted to chew because they dreamt about it. I would then ask them to describe the dream. They would tell about the vividness and realism, and they would almost always say it started to take on a nightmarish proportion. They would wake up in a sweat, often crying, thinking that they just chewed and blew the whole thing, that they were now back to square one. That all that time off chewing was wasted.

The dangerous dream is when you chew a whole can in it, have the aching gums and tongue sores, get socially ostracized, develop some horrible illness, end up on your death bed about to let out your final live breath—and all of a sudden wake up with a smile on your face and say, "that was great, wish I could do that when I am awake." As long as that is not the dream you were having, I wouldn’t let myself get to discouraged by it. In regards to chewing, no matter what you do in your dreams you will be OK as long as you remember in your waking state to Never Take Another Chew!
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline dr_jones_25

• Quitter
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »

Offline mich 34

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Interests: reading, hunting, fishing, above all - spending time with the wife and kids (when they are being good!!)
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Quote from: kstampfly
Quote from: kana
Quote from: tsmith17
Wow, just over a month now and things are sailing!!! But, here comes a new challenge. I have been smooth sailing for a few weeks now, and lately I have been having some MAJOR craves. The craves that get me thinking there is no way in hell I can do this forever. Even though I go day by day, I just can't imagine FOREVER!! Now, I am in Phoenix by myself. The only person I have to hold me accountable is me.......and me alone. Sure I post roll, and I am accountable to everyone on the site. But in actuality, I am only accountable to myself for the next 2 months. FUCK ME!!! My quit has been so strong up until this point. Now I am afraid. I have numbers and I have daily texts, and I WILL stay quit.....but this is going to be a true test to my self control.
I understand what you are talking about Docta. I remember the first weekend I was truly alone with myself for the first time since I began my quit. I had a very intense crave. It was difficult but I overcame it. You will do the same. I know this. You have numbers and you have this site. Post roll every day and you can and WILL get through this. Remember this as well. With every new obstacle and challenge to your quit that you overcome, your quit will become stronger and you will be able to deal with things much more easily in the future. You got this Dr.
At the end of the day you are all you got. What separates us addicts from from normal people is we're strong mother fuckers. No prisoners.
Forever is a dangerous word. Day by Day. One day at a time. Be strong today, and you'll be even stronger tomorrow. remember you're accountable to us and we got your back. PS, I live in Phoenix - check your inbox....
You need help, you reach out to me or another one of your quit brothers in October. Here for you whenever, nicotine marine, first in, last out, no one left behind.

In my and in my life, till the end.

QLAFM
You got this Dr J. Your October brothers got your back as well and we will not let you fail. Stay strong, stay quit!!!!
Dr. I'm happy to trade numbers if you want more. Fuck yes you can do this. Drop the fear of failure and kick that nic bitch down! Don't fail, don't be afraid - quit
my intro
QD 07-19-2012
Group - Roctober Madmen Post with some Madmen (and women)
HOF 10-27-12 HOF Speech
2nd Floor 2-4-13, 3rd Floor 5-15-13
1 year of freedom - 7-19-2013. Thank you KTC
4th Floor 8-23-13, 5th Floor 12-1-13, 6th Floor 3-11-14, 7th Floor 6-19-14, 8th Floor 9-27-14, 9th Floor 1-5-15

Offline kstampfly

• Quitter
    • http:
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Wow, just over a month now and things are sailing!!! But, here comes a new challenge. I have been smooth sailing for a few weeks now, and lately I have been having some MAJOR craves. The craves that get me thinking there is no way in hell I can do this forever. Even though I go day by day, I just can't imagine FOREVER!! Now, I am in Phoenix by myself. The only person I have to hold me accountable is me.......and me alone. Sure I post roll, and I am accountable to everyone on the site. But in actuality, I am only accountable to myself for the next 2 months. FUCK ME!!! My quit has been so strong up until this point. Now I am afraid. I have numbers and I have daily texts, and I WILL stay quit.....but this is going to be a true test to my self control.
I understand what you are talking about Docta. I remember the first weekend I was truly alone with myself for the first time since I began my quit. I had a very intense crave. It was difficult but I overcame it. You will do the same. I know this. You have numbers and you have this site. Post roll every day and you can and WILL get through this. Remember this as well. With every new obstacle and challenge to your quit that you overcome, your quit will become stronger and you will be able to deal with things much more easily in the future. You got this Dr.
At the end of the day you are all you got. What separates us addicts from from normal people is we're strong mother fuckers. No prisoners.
Forever is a dangerous word. Day by Day. One day at a time. Be strong today, and you'll be even stronger tomorrow. remember you're accountable to us and we got your back. PS, I live in Phoenix - check your inbox....
You need help, you reach out to me or another one of your quit brothers in October. Here for you whenever, nicotine marine, first in, last out, no one left behind.

QLAFM
You got this Dr J. Your October brothers got your back as well and we will not let you fail. Stay strong, stay quit!!!!
Quit Group:
June 2022 No Lip Turd Herd

Quit Date:  13 March 2022
HOF Date:  20 June 2022

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »

QLAFM

Offline kana

• Quitter
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
we choose our battles.. the battles we do fight, be aware that they have to be, but passion rules? James Hetfield

Offline Tsmith17

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Life is good when you're quit.
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »

Offline dr_jones_25

• Quitter
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 01:48:00 AM »

Offline Bruce

• Quit Pro
    • www.facebook.com
  • Quit Date: 2011-11-21
  • Interests: Long walks on the beach, cuddling up next to that special someone in front of a fire, just watching the sunset, and titty bars.
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Quote from: Wt57
So, son of a bitch, 3 weeks. I am so happy to be on this journey right now. And yes, it is a journey. In the past I have made efforts to quit, but I know in the bottom of my heart, I am here to live the rest of my life quit. I never thought I would care so much about a group of guys that I just met 3 weeks ago! Really? This is the craziest, most SANE concept in the world. I don't really know anything about the majority of you, but I do know, we share one common theme, we are addicts. That common trait that we share, has made me friends with some of the greatest, strongest, coolest people I have met in a long time. I know that I am on a great path with some kick ass people. Thanks KTC for giving me my freedom, and allowing me to live a nic free life. I am happy!! :D
Congrats on the 3 weeks Doc. Glad to be on this journey with you as well. Whatever road I'm on, it's always reassuring to know there's a doctor in the house.

QLAFM
I agree w/ Eric! But a gynocologist?
KTC gave you the tools for freedom, but you took it back brother. YOU made the decision to quit and YOU are getting stronger because of it. Keep kicking ass brother, one day at a time!
Quit date: 11/21/11
HOF date: 2/28/12
Comma date: 8/16/14
It's a freedom thing

Caving is NOT an option

-"Now I can walk through walls and my quit can talk to god. That's right. Crazy voodoo magic quit" Souliman

-'Stop being a pussy and quit' Tarpon17

-"this is the gheyest place on earth, if you say it in here it might become someones signature" Bigwhitebeast

- "We Quit Like Fuck" - Coach Steve

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
So, son of a bitch, 3 weeks. I am so happy to be on this journey right now. And yes, it is a journey. In the past I have made efforts to quit, but I know in the bottom of my heart, I am here to live the rest of my life quit. I never thought I would care so much about a group of guys that I just met 3 weeks ago! Really? This is the craziest, most SANE concept in the world. I don't really know anything about the majority of you, but I do know, we share one common theme, we are addicts. That common trait that we share, has made me friends with some of the greatest, strongest, coolest people I have met in a long time. I know that I am on a great path with some kick ass people. Thanks KTC for giving me my freedom, and allowing me to live a nic free life. I am happy!! :D
Congrats on the 3 weeks Doc. Glad to be on this journey with you as well. Whatever road I'm on, it's always reassuring to know there's a doctor in the house.

QLAFM
I agree w/ Eric! But a gynocologist?
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »

QLAFM

Offline dr_jones_25

• Quitter
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 04:37:00 AM »