Author Topic: 1 Week Quitter (Pun Intended)  (Read 593 times)

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 245
Re: 1 Week Quitter (Pun Intended)
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Quote from: hwmcingv
I appreciate it! I've gotten some numbers I definitely plan on using. I'm taking grinds with me and plan on using those like nobodies business and limiting myself to only a couple beers. Got a PT test soon anyways. And thanks again for the support guys. This really is going to make all the difference.
Do whatever you need to do to stay quit! If you are like me you have stopped for periods of time and then thought "one dip, smoke, or cigar won't cause me to go back". That is your addiction calling you out. Face it every day and you can beat it one day at a time.

I quit with you today! Stranger999 day 434.

Offline hwmcingv

• Quit Date: 2016-11-03
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing, working out, music, reading, and table top miniature war-games
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
I appreciate it! I've gotten some numbers I definitely plan on using. I'm taking grinds with me and plan on using those like nobodies business and limiting myself to only a couple beers. Got a PT test soon anyways. And thanks again for the support guys. This really is going to make all the difference.

Offline Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
You're definitely right. I guess i'm getting ahead of myself again and thinking about tomorrow. I have my 10 year class reunion. I'll deal with that when it comes though. That's why I need a place like this. It helps this seem not so overwhelming.
It can be a firehose at first, but you'll get the rhythm of posting roll when you wake soon enough.

When you face things like your 10 year reunion, it is important to have a plan to protect your quit. Something for oral fix, moderation on alcohol, and some phone numbers to text when the guys say "how about a cigar for old times sake." You don't have to fight through alone, mutual support makes all our quits stronger.

Offline hwmcingv

• Interests: Hunting, fishing, working out, music, reading, and table top miniature war-games
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
You're definitely right. I guess i'm getting ahead of myself again and thinking about tomorrow. I have my 10 year class reunion. I'll deal with that when it comes though. That's why I need a place like this. It helps this seem not so overwhelming.

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the motivation guys! I've been trying to post in roll call all day but every time I went to look at how to do it something came up at work. FINALLY got it posted though! I am glad I was at least able to check the forum this morning before things got hectic. Not letting my mind wonder past today has helped. The upside to being busy as hell at work is that I didn't have as much time to sit and dwell on it. Now just gotta get through the weekend.

Yesterday I was looking through the site at what to expect when quitting. Headache and all that have come and gone but I've had problems with my body feeling very achy. I would say I'm getting sick but it comes and goes. One second I feel fine then an hour later I'll feel like crap. Another reason I don't think I'm getting sick is that the times I've felt the worst are in the mornings and right after lunch, my regular dip times. Something like this ever happened to any one? Achy, cold, etc.?
All of that is normal and you can expect more where that came from for the next couple weeks. The thing is though, if you do this thing right, you won't ever have to go through it again. Get to know some of the guys and gals in your group. They can relate to exactly what you're going through and that brotherhood will help you in more ways than you can imagine right now.

One thing about your post that raises a red flag is the "I just have to get through the weekend" mentality. First, take it ODAAT. You can't get through Sunday until you get through Saturday. I know that seems cliche and maybe oversimplistic, but do not try to win a battle that isn't in front of you yet. Just worry about today. Tomorrow and Sunday will take care of themselves when you get there. Second and somewhat contradictory to what I just said, what happens after Sunday? If you think that you'll have this battle won after Sunday you haven't been paying attention. As an addict, you will fight this battle every day. I promise the fight becomes much much easier, but there is no finish line. You are no closer to whooping your addiction on Monday as you are today. That's why we preach ODAAT. Every day you post your promise and keep your promise is a victory. Every single day. Don't worry about tomorrow and stop looking for the finish line.

I like your motivation hwmc. Soak up more and more material on the sight and keep learning from those that have walked the path before you. It all pays off.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline hwmcingv

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the motivation guys! I've been trying to post in roll call all day but every time I went to look at how to do it something came up at work. FINALLY got it posted though! I am glad I was at least able to check the forum this morning before things got hectic. Not letting my mind wonder past today has helped. The upside to being busy as hell at work is that I didn't have as much time to sit and dwell on it. Now just gotta get through the weekend.

Yesterday I was looking through the site at what to expect when quitting. Headache and all that have come and gone but I've had problems with my body feeling very achy. I would say I'm getting sick but it comes and goes. One second I feel fine then an hour later I'll feel like crap. Another reason I don't think I'm getting sick is that the times I've felt the worst are in the mornings and right after lunch, my regular dip times. Something like this ever happened to any one? Achy, cold, etc.?

Offline tljent79

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-11-02
  • Interests: Spending time with my family, being outdoors, music, & traveling.
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
Haven't seen you on the roll call. You need any help?
"I'd like to think of myself as the flavor of the decade." - Ron Paul

Offline eyehatecope

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-08-09
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Quote from: tljent79
Welcome and thanks for your service. You're in our February quit group. Read the welcome threads and post roll every morning. The texting between people in the group is a huge plus as well. It's nice to have outlets to those in the same situation. Feel free to pm if I can help. Welcome to the February 2017 crew.
This guy right here knows what he is talking about. I hope you reach out to him, myself or anyone else. As long as you want it, you will defeat the nic bitch with the help of this site and the members.
Jenny and Tom Kern

RIP My Brother!

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
From one gamer to another, post roll daily and quit one day at a time (ODAAT) because it works!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline Viking

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Baseball, football, all sports, raising kids, 80s music (Iron Maiden is my fave)
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
I just sent you a PM with my digits. I'm in your February group and hoping you can be a part of the strong bond we are working on. Listen to the vet BAQs like Spuds, Bean, WalterWhite, Palapatine, JPET, Pabs, Syndrome, etc. They have a lot of wisdom to offer.

Come to the site and read all the time. It helps. Call or text if ever thinking of canning up again.

Proud to quit with you

Offline Bean

• Quitter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks for your service, HW. And congrats on a great choice. Your little boy is going to need you to be there for him. "Weening" is for excuse-making pussies. You're a bad ass quitter...big difference. "Weening" is addict-speak that makes your feel better about lying to yourself about quitting. Yes, you are a liar. But that's okay...we all are. I'm one of the world's biggest. I dipped/quit for 20 years. I'd actually rationalize that it was okay to have just one more because I was going to quit soon...like next week, my birthday, new year's, etc. All those date would come and go and there I would be with a fucking lip full of poison.

Nothing changes until you get in the ring and go toe to toe with the Nic Bitch. You do that by POSTING ROLL EVERYDAY and KEEPING YOUR WORD. When you post roll, you give us your word that whatever the fuck happens today, you will not have had any nicotine when your head hits the pillow.

You EARN your freedom ONE DAY AT A TIME. Don't think about the future, tomorrow, next week, or next year. We'll deal with them when they get here. All we focus on is what we can control...today...right now...this 5 minutes. I gave my word TODAY. Nobody knows what will happen tomorrow. But I can guaran-fucking-tee you that I won't have any nicotine today. And that's all there is to it. LIVING FREE ONE DAY AT A TIME. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Offline Idaho Spuds

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: August 18, 2014
  • Interests: Family, Soccer, fishing, hunting, camping
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
hwmcingv thanks for your service!
Congrats on your decision, all the nicotine should be out of your system by now.
Post roll daily with us and break free of the cycle of addiction
Get on roll and you will have all the support you can imagine!

Congrats on your son, make sure to be around for him!
ID SPuds

Offline tljent79

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2016-11-02
  • Interests: Spending time with my family, being outdoors, music, & traveling.
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:58:00 PM »
Welcome and thanks for your service. You're in our February quit group. Read the welcome threads and post roll every morning. The texting between people in the group is a huge plus as well. It's nice to have outlets to those in the same situation. Feel free to pm if I can help. Welcome to the February 2017 crew.
"I'd like to think of myself as the flavor of the decade." - Ron Paul

Offline hwmcingv

1 Week Quitter (Pun Intended)
« on: November 10, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
Hey everyone.

So I took my first dip when I was about 12 years old. I'm from the south and had many opportunities to try it. I flirted with the idea of dipping until the end of high school and college where I picked it up as a steady habit but was still only using a can every few days or longer.

Then I joined the Army National Guard after college. If using dip is bad in the Army, its pretty atrocious in a southern guard unit. My little habit went from maybe a can and a half in a week to 3-4 cans in one drill. Although I went through almost a whole log in one weekend, I would usually go back to maybe a can and a half every couple of days.

What really go me in deep was law school. I decided to go after spending some time activated and at this point I was dipping a can and a half or more a day fighting stress and sleep while stilling going through a log or more during drill.

I made up my mind to quit on November 3rd (1 week ago) and threw everything I had out. I know you're supposed to quit for yourself but that hasn't worked for me in the past. I've decided to quit because I had a son a little over 2 months ago. My first dip was given to me by my dad. Not to sound like a typical redneck but his heart was in a good place. I asked him what it was and if I could try it. He was ok with it because he thought I'd get sick and never do it again(which completely backfired, along with his plan to turn me against alcohol early on but that's a different story). I want to set a better example for my son and am determined to quit this time.

All that being said I feel horrible and spend waaaayyyy to much time trying to justify "weening" myself instead of quitting out right. I've also been going through sunflower seeds and Grinds like it's my job. I really appreciate all the help and support I can get and look forward to providing the same to anyone who needs it.

Thanks guys.