Author Topic: 10 days in...  (Read 579 times)

Offline DeskJockey

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 10 days in...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
Oops - double post.

Offline DeskJockey

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
I work with a lady who says she is "quitting smoking". She keeps these little packets of yellow gum on her desk, and even brings them to meetings in our office and puts them on the table in front of her. Every so often, she pops open another piece from the little "blister pack" they come in.

I thought she was just chewing gum, like I did when I quit dipping Skoal. I used sugarless gum to help me, and still do, sometimes.

Then I learned that she is chewing nicotine gum. Oh. That's different.

It's not my place to judge her. She is not here posting roll. She is an adult and can do as she likes.

But, I'd just like to point out that she has been chewing that gum a long as I've worked with her: over four years now.

That doesn't seem like quitting to me.

Evan, if you want to quit nicotine, quit. Get yourself some regular sugarless gum instead, or whatever it takes, but do it.

Best wishes from a 30-year addict who quit nicotine cold turkey 1,031 days ago

Offline Frazzled

• Eternal Quitters
  • Master of Quit
  • 1/3/2011
  • Quit Date: 1/3/2011
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
Let me be clear. You are not Quit right now. Moving from dip to nicotine gum does nothing to get the drug out of your system. It merely changes the delivery method.

I was going to use nicotine lozenges, and the guys here told me to dump my shit and get on with it. That would be my advice to you as well. This site is about complete abstinence from nicotine. No NRT, to step-down therapy. You Quit cold turkey. We all have done it. It works.

Come join us. Until you ditch the gum, please don't post roll in a Quit group. Those are reserved for those who have made the choice to not ingest nicotine in any form.
Quit Date 1/3/11
Floor 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
I started off on the nic gum too. The guys are right, it just extends the addiction. Get rid of it and quit.

Offline nodipinthislip

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 07:15:00 AM »
Quote from: EvanLucey50
What's up guys my names Evan, I'm 18 and new to the forum. I'm a freshman in college up here in Mass. Been 10 days since I last had a dip and here I am up at 2 in the morning thinking of some Copenhagen Wintergreen. Copenhagen's been the poison of choice for the majority of the 6 years I've been chewing. First started back when me and my friends scored a can from the local conscience store when we were 12 and been going everyday since. First big thing I've realized is how much harder it is to do things you always did while packin, can't even do my school work without getting pissed off and lose concentration. My biggest concern is when football comes around in the summer because that's when I did most of the damage in meetings, locker room or on the hours of bus rides where I'd go through a tin in a matter of hours.

So I got my wisdom teeth out 9 days Ago and thought I could take advantage of this time to get through those first few shitty days. I was thinking the last thing l would want would be a dip with my mouth being in such pain(let alone the fact you shouldn't dip after oral surgery). Man oh man I was wrong. My face all swollen and killing me, had a mean headache going while living off apple sauce and an asortion of meds, never did I need a chew more than then. Instead I got my hands on some nicotine gum. Just had to get somthing to get by. Not sure if it's cheating or not, kinda feels like I am but as the schoolwork piled up I had to get somthing to hold me over.

Overall though I'm confident in how it's going so far even when times like now when my jaw feels like it's going to fall off...Taking it day by day, just hope the insomnia stops soon. Just wanted to introduce myself, I can see this forum as good way to get through this shit with people going or been through it.

Thanks, Evan
Evan I started in college and 22yrs later I am finally quit....I had to have salivary stones removed with surgery inside my mouth and I too used that as an opportunity to quit and so far so good...if you quit 10 days ago I believe your quit group is May quit group. Post roll on there every morning. It is basically a promise to all others in the group that for that day you will not use at all. Also focus on all the good reasons for quitting...post roll post roll post roll

Offline copingwithoutcopen

• Quitting MoFo
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:17:00 AM »
Welcome, Evan! First, you've made a great decision but this is strictly a no nicotine in any way kind place. No weening, no nicotine gum, patches or suppositories. Cold turkey, grab your nuts, bare down and quit. You need to dispose of all nicotine products down the crappa then clean the toilet with bleach so you don't go lookin for remnants...Check out the welcome center, find your group... Let's get started. There's no better. Place to quit.

Offline EvanLucey50

10 days in...
« on: March 01, 2016, 02:56:00 AM »
What's up guys my names Evan, I'm 18 and new to the forum. I'm a freshman in college up here in Mass. Been 10 days since I last had a dip and here I am up at 2 in the morning thinking of some Copenhagen Wintergreen. Copenhagen's been the poison of choice for the majority of the 6 years I've been chewing. First started back when me and my friends scored a can from the local conscience store when we were 12 and been going everyday since. First big thing I've realized is how much harder it is to do things you always did while packin, can't even do my school work without getting pissed off and lose concentration. My biggest concern is when football comes around in the summer because that's when I did most of the damage in meetings, locker room or on the hours of bus rides where I'd go through a tin in a matter of hours.

So I got my wisdom teeth out 9 days Ago and thought I could take advantage of this time to get through those first few shitty days. I was thinking the last thing l would want would be a dip with my mouth being in such pain(let alone the fact you shouldn't dip after oral surgery). Man oh man I was wrong. My face all swollen and killing me, had a mean headache going while living off apple sauce and an asortion of meds, never did I need a chew more than then. Instead I got my hands on some nicotine gum. Just had to get somthing to get by. Not sure if it's cheating or not, kinda feels like I am but as the schoolwork piled up I had to get somthing to hold me over.

Overall though I'm confident in how it's going so far even when times like now when my jaw feels like it's going to fall off...Taking it day by day, just hope the insomnia stops soon. Just wanted to introduce myself, I can see this forum as good way to get through this shit with people going or been through it.

Thanks, Evan