Author Topic: "Something incredibly clever"  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Cope30

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2015-08-16
  • Interests: Hunting and Fishing!http://forum.killthecan.org/topic/11504909/
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Something incredibly clever"
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
Hang tight my brother, it has been a Hell of a ride for me!
Starting to fell batter day by day.
I quit with you today.
2 Timothy 1:7 - For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

HOF 11/24/15 Zombroski Nymphos
1st Floor 11-24-15
2nd Floor 3-3-16
3rd Floor 6-11-16
4th Floor 9-19-16
5th Floor 12-27-16
6th Floor 4-7-17

http://forum.killthecan.org/topic/11504909/

http://www.panicend.com/de.html

Offline Edward

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Quote from: B-loMatt
Quote from: Edward
Day 70

When I started this, I honestly didn't think I'd make it to 70, but here I am. I've learned quite a bit in the last 70 days, I've had cravings and I've learned to ride the wave. I finally had my 'close the door' moment over the weekend.

Many years ago, before I started dipping, I started smoking a pipe. I built up a small collection of some really nice pipes, and I made a few of my own. I was traveling a lot at this point in my life, so every new town I went to, I'd find the local tobacconist and try the local pipe blends. I ordered blends from overseas, and anything that I really liked, I'd buy several pounds of and age myself. I kept this up for several years, but eventually moved on and forgot about it all. Last weekend I finally remembered that I still had all that stuff in a box somewhere, hadn't seen any of it since we moved 2 1/2 years ago. I knew that I had to get rid of it all, so went to locate the box. Moving disused golf clubs, several miles of coax that I'm keeping for some reason that escapes me, and a collection of books I haven't read since High School, I found it at the bottom of a closet and pulled it out. Got some rubber gloves on and started going through that box and throwing away sealed tins of Pipe Tobacco along with jars that I'd been aging since 1997.

I expected that I'd feel a small sense of regret, but it was the opposite, I felt liberated. Free of the NIC bitch completely. That was Saturday night, it's now Tuesday morning and I haven't had a crave since then, my longest stretch so far.

I know that I'm not cured, but I also know that I'll never dip again, it's just not an option any longer - and I can't tell you what a relief that is. I still have much work to do, to stay in this place, where nicotine is not an option, but at least for the moment, I'm glad that I'm at this place, and that KTC is in large port responsible for getting me there.
Thanks for my morning quit wood :) !
Getting a few days free of craves is just a taste of how much better it gets. Days 70-90 can be tough. Keep doing what got you this far, and keep your quit-group focused. Also get ready for the post HOF caves :( (seems like every group has them...)
So awesome to be liberated from the poison! Keep it up Bad Ass!
I've been dreading 'the funk', after the initial suck, the funk seems like the hardest part to get through. I'm doing everything I can to keep myself and my group involved, but I'm guessing that we are going to lose a few more before we all get to the train.

I'm really happy about where I'm at right now. In the past, that has always been immediately followed by the Shit hitting the Fan, but things are different this time.

Offline B-loMatt

• Quitter
  • Interests: Cooking, gameing, music, sports, the outdoors. Spending time with my family is my biggest hobby, I have two little girls who are my number 1 priority (for real now that I kicked nic out of my life)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
Day 70

When I started this, I honestly didn't think I'd make it to 70, but here I am. I've learned quite a bit in the last 70 days, I've had cravings and I've learned to ride the wave. I finally had my 'close the door' moment over the weekend.

Many years ago, before I started dipping, I started smoking a pipe. I built up a small collection of some really nice pipes, and I made a few of my own. I was traveling a lot at this point in my life, so every new town I went to, I'd find the local tobacconist and try the local pipe blends. I ordered blends from overseas, and anything that I really liked, I'd buy several pounds of and age myself. I kept this up for several years, but eventually moved on and forgot about it all. Last weekend I finally remembered that I still had all that stuff in a box somewhere, hadn't seen any of it since we moved 2 1/2 years ago. I knew that I had to get rid of it all, so went to locate the box. Moving disused golf clubs, several miles of coax that I'm keeping for some reason that escapes me, and a collection of books I haven't read since High School, I found it at the bottom of a closet and pulled it out. Got some rubber gloves on and started going through that box and throwing away sealed tins of Pipe Tobacco along with jars that I'd been aging since 1997.

I expected that I'd feel a small sense of regret, but it was the opposite, I felt liberated. Free of the NIC bitch completely. That was Saturday night, it's now Tuesday morning and I haven't had a crave since then, my longest stretch so far.

I know that I'm not cured, but I also know that I'll never dip again, it's just not an option any longer - and I can't tell you what a relief that is. I still have much work to do, to stay in this place, where nicotine is not an option, but at least for the moment, I'm glad that I'm at this place, and that KTC is in large port responsible for getting me there.
Thanks for my morning quit wood :) !
Getting a few days free of craves is just a taste of how much better it gets. Days 70-90 can be tough. Keep doing what got you this far, and keep your quit-group focused. Also get ready for the post HOF caves :( (seems like every group has them...)
So awesome to be liberated from the poison! Keep it up Bad Ass!

Offline Edward

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
Day 70

Offline jswiss11

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-01-08 00:24:00
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 02:45:00 PM »
one day at a time brother Edward. It will get better - you can be assured of that. I know all about the mindgames and "the world conspiring against you" ! I was a fucking nutjob for about 25 days. get through that first 3-4 weeks and you'll be alright. do everything you can to keep your mind off it and your fingers clean.

Offline KingNothing

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 2015-07-10
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »
Keep it up Edward. You're killing it right now and like ^^^ bad ass told you, it only gets better and better and better.
"Fuck nicotine dude. You don't need it. And you don't want it. It didn't do a thing for you and you know it." - worktowin
"today you dissided that shit wont control your life. and it wont. unless you let it." - drome
"Not thinking about nicotine is for people who've never used nicotine. We threw that option away with the first dip or drag on a cigarette. We are addicts, and cannot become un-addicted." - wildirish317
"You need to decide how much you really want to be quit." - pky1520
We are always at risk. And probably always will be. That is why I will never get "too quit" to post my +1. Every. Damn. Day. - geis2597

Intro
Freedom Tastes So Good

Quit: 7/10/15, HOF: 10/17/15, 2nd Floor: 1/25/16, 3rd Floor: 5/4/16, 1 year: 7/10/16 4th Floor: 8/12/16, 5th Floor: 11/20/16, 6th Floor: 2/28/17, 7th Floor: 6/8/17, 2 years: 7/10/17, 8th Floor: 9/16/17, 9th Floor: 12/25/17, Comma: 4/4/18, 3 years: 7/10/18, 11th Floor: 7/13/18

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
If you post roll and keep your word, there is a 100% chance of success. It is hard, it gets a lot better. Like better to a degree that I can't describe, and if I could you wouldn't believe me.

One day at a time, brother....

Offline Edward

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
9 days ago, I was several days into my quit, I should have been over the physical withdrawals, but I was still hurting. I was searching the internet for smokeless alternatives when I came across this site. I read for a bit, and I figured that I needed the accountability, so I posted my intro, posted roll and figured that I'd post and ghost every day till I got over the hump. I'm naturally an introvert, so I found the public exposure pretty uncomfortable.

Then I started reading, and reading, and reading. I wanted to repost what I've learned in the last 9 days.

It's easy to quit, but it's hard to stay quit. Caving is easier than quitting, the Nic Bitch will give you a million reasons to cave if you let her, and not a single one of them is a good reason.

I'm an addict, had real trouble with this realization, but it's true. I spent nearly 20 years finger banging that can, not because it served any good purpose in my life, but because i've allowed a chemical to rewire my brain. I know that my next dip will kill me. Not immediately, but my next dip will get me chemically dependent on a known carcinogen, and eventually the cancer will kill me, so I now honestly believe that my net dip will kill me.

You'd think that belief would be enough motivation to keep that crap out of my face, but no, I needed more. I read about Cortez burning his boats, and I read about digging a quit hole, and I read about Closing the door. But what seems to resonate the most with me is "Supporting your quit makes my quit stronger". I don't recall exactly where I came across that, the fog has been pretty thick the last week, but that made a lot of sense to me, and I'm a sucker for a Win Win scenario.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Nice work getting super involved. The friends and contacts you have are your best insurance to keep you accountable. You are doing this the right way man.

Offline DjPorkchop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Mother Fricker!!!
    • PaPa Ray's Photography
  • Quit Date: 9/17/2015
  • Interests: Brewing Beer and Building Cheap Smokers (UDS Drums)
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »
Edward, have you found your quit group yet? If not, please do. The sooner you get on roll, the sooner we can provide support and hold your feet to the accountability coals! Posting roll is our daily price of admission here. It's free and easy. Give it a try if you have not already! Exchange numbers and get to know your brothers/sisters of quit not only in your own group, but other groups as well.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline pky1520

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: May 2, 2016
  • Interests: Hunting, fishing
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Greetings.

I started dipping in July of 1997. First time I tried it, nobody told me not to swallow, so after about 30 seconds, I turned green and threw up. That should have been a good indication that what I was putting in my body was bad, but machismo often trumps logic when you are young and stupid, so of course I had to prove that I could handle it. Just a few days later I'd gotten used to it, and then began to enjoy it. Before long I was dipping about a can a day. I've quit twice before, but I've so far kept getting sucked back. At the time, I thought the world was conspiring to keep me addicted, but now I realize its my own nicotine starved brain doing anything it can to trick me. And that's the part that I'm having difficulty with.

Last week I started dealing with some really bad tooth pain, hadn't been to the Dentist since I'd started dipping, but it was time to go. By the time I was able to get in there and have them start drilling, I realized that I hadn't dipped in 3 days, I knew I needed to quit, and I figured the worst part was already over, no time like the present, so I threw away what I had and congratulated myself.

Yeah, 72 hours being the hard part is bullshit. I'm chewing the hell out of every toothpick in the county, and it's just barely making this tolerable. I'm not worried about quitting forever, I've committed to quitting today and I can keep my promise for today. I'll let tomorrow sort itself out. Any advice out there is welcome.
Quitting is simple. You make your promise first thing every day (read: EVERY DAY) and then keep that promise.

However, the secret sauce on your quitburger is the connection that you make with others here. You open up, talk about what's going on, ask questions, help others, exchange your phone number and you will find that these folks quickly become more than random screen names and avatars. They will go out of their way to care about you and your quit and you will do the same. That daily promise will mean something and you'll realize that there was no way in hell you could have done it without them.

Looks like you're on roll, so you've got that step down! Now, spend a little time reading in the Intro, Hall of Fame  Quit Group sections. And when I say a little time, I mean a lot of damn time. All night if you need to.

Then read your October group's page all the way through (your group is F'ing nuts, btw) and you'll figure out what this place is all about.

And you're right 72 hours is not the hard part. Each stage of quit has its own unique challenges, but luckily there are folks here to help you through each one.

Also: Double your water, halve your caffeine, cease your alcohol.

Offline Edward

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
"Something incredibly clever"
« on: July 12, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Greetings.

I started dipping in July of 1997. First time I tried it, nobody told me not to swallow, so after about 30 seconds, I turned green and threw up. That should have been a good indication that what I was putting in my body was bad, but machismo often trumps logic when you are young and stupid, so of course I had to prove that I could handle it. Just a few days later I'd gotten used to it, and then began to enjoy it. Before long I was dipping about a can a day. I've quit twice before, but I've so far kept getting sucked back. At the time, I thought the world was conspiring to keep me addicted, but now I realize its my own nicotine starved brain doing anything it can to trick me. And that's the part that I'm having difficulty with.

Last week I started dealing with some really bad tooth pain, hadn't been to the Dentist since I'd started dipping, but it was time to go. By the time I was able to get in there and have them start drilling, I realized that I hadn't dipped in 3 days, I knew I needed to quit, and I figured the worst part was already over, no time like the present, so I threw away what I had and congratulated myself.

Yeah, 72 hours being the hard part is bullshit. I'm chewing the hell out of every toothpick in the county, and it's just barely making this tolerable. I'm not worried about quitting forever, I've committed to quitting today and I can keep my promise for today. I'll let tomorrow sort itself out. Any advice out there is welcome.