Author Topic: zyx Intro  (Read 761 times)

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: zyx Intro
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:00 AM »
Quote from: Eric71
Quote from: Candoit
Quote from: zyx
canofbeans, thanks! Although, for my personal self, 100 days doesn't seem like much; I've done it before. My short term goal is 1,000 days...haven't done that.

Dogonhunt, thank you! I'm seeking to stay quit forever...obviously haven't done that yet. I do intend to post roll every day once I figure out how...I will probably PM you once I figure that out and look up what that means for sure (personal message?? :) See my response to Eric71 for more details.

Eric71, I've never been on any social media before so I'm probably not so good at expressing myself...feel free to let me know that anytime...I will appreciate it.

Why this time will be different:
1. this site.
2. never counted days before...and I want that number to get bigger...it seems to help keep me quit.
3 when I post I wont use tobacco today it would be really hard for me to break that promise.
4. I've never considered before why I started chewing again before I stopped. For myself there are really only two reasons:
a. alcohol...the main reason...drinking too much with friends who chew and bumming a chew and you know what happens after that. why it is different this time: I cold turkey quit alcohol the same day I quit chewing.
b. change of seasons along with outdoor activities. why is it different this time: understanding this reason; utilizing folks on this site; keeping my promise; the next two items.
5. never did this before: When I have a craving I start laughing at it...been working great...it just goes away. Of course, everyone around me thinks I'm even odder than they thought before.
6. never did this before: I've associated in my mind a new personal physical learning activity with staying quit...a long form of tai chi...it will be years before I can pretend to know it :) Just thinking about what I'm learning will crowd out a craving; actually practicing...even better.

Why, at day 100, is this the hardest attempt yet:
1. I'm older, not as many friends around...having quit both tobacco and alcohol, the friends that are around don't really understand and I am not associating with them pretty much at all anymore...this hasn't happened in the past.
2. Maybe because I quit alcohol at the same time but I am a lot worse for a lot longer period of time after this quit...the fog; irritable; shaky; more cravings lasting longer into the quit. I'm still not anywhere near where I have been in the past after 100 days.

wouldn't I do nearly anything to accomplish my goal? Yes, I joined this site, while that might not seem like much to you it is for me. I have never participated in a social media site before nor have I wanted to.

Would logging in and posting your promise actually require that much additional effort? I probably didn't write that well...I meant that is the reason I hesitated signing up. Once I know how I intend to post roll every day and effort is not the issue.

What I know about myself:
1. I am both absent minded and procrastinate; even after it becomes a habit I know I will forget to post roll.
2. I do not own a smart phone; I live where there is no cell phone coverage; I have internet but it doesn't always work; I do not spend all my time online or indoors or being accessible...there will be times I can't post.

If you think those last two things about myself are reason enough that I shouldn't continue on this site let me know...I am curious about that and it has nothing to do with fixing what isn't broken.

One day at a time. We can do it anything for a day, we need to always remember that. I have quit every day since, July 23, 2014. That's 1,275 days of worrying about today. It works because we allow ourselves to be held to a higher standard, by a bunch of addicts. I wouldn't change a damn thing about it either.
Understand, I ask you to identify those items for a very specific reason. The reason and ability to define your quit and your plan when cravings arise is integral in staying quit. I am glad you joined the site and for whatever reason you sought it out. Based on what you say about internet and your lifestyle, I would recommend asking for and getting as many contact numbers as you can. People that are both in your quit group and others who are outside of it. It sounds as though you have a good understanding of your quit and what it means to keep your commitment. Those will serve you well. Thanks for the response. I quit with you today.
Do you have access to a land line phone? On the days you do not have access, call a quitter or 2 for an assist on posting roll. Easy .
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:00 AM »
Quote from: Candoit
canofbeans, thanks! Although, for my personal self, 100 days doesn't seem like much; I've done it before. My short term goal is 1,000 days...haven't done that.

Dogonhunt, thank you! I'm seeking to stay quit forever...obviously haven't done that yet. I do intend to post roll every day once I figure out how...I will probably PM you once I figure that out and look up what that means for sure (personal message?? :) See my response to Eric71 for more details.

Eric71, I've never been on any social media before so I'm probably not so good at expressing myself...feel free to let me know that anytime...I will appreciate it.

1. this site.
2. never counted days before...and I want that number to get bigger...it seems to help keep me quit.
3 when I post I wont use tobacco today it would be really hard for me to break that promise.
4. I've never considered before why I started chewing again before I stopped. For myself there are really only two reasons:
a. alcohol...the main reason...drinking too much with friends who chew and bumming a chew and you know what happens after that. why it is different this time: I cold turkey quit alcohol the same day I quit chewing.
b. change of seasons along with outdoor activities. why is it different this time: understanding this reason; utilizing folks on this site; keeping my promise; the next two items.
5. never did this before: When I have a craving I start laughing at it...been working great...it just goes away. Of course, everyone around me thinks I'm even odder than they thought before.
6. never did this before: I've associated in my mind a new personal physical learning activity with staying quit...a long form of tai chi...it will be years before I can pretend to know it :) Just thinking about what I'm learning will crowd out a craving; actually practicing...even better.

1. I'm older, not as many friends around...having quit both tobacco and alcohol, the friends that are around don't really understand and I am not associating with them pretty much at all anymore...this hasn't happened in the past.
2. Maybe because I quit alcohol at the same time but I am a lot worse for a lot longer period of time after this quit...the fog; irritable; shaky; more cravings lasting longer into the quit. I'm still not anywhere near where I have been in the past after 100 days.

wouldn't I do nearly anything to accomplish my goal? Yes, I joined this site, while that might not seem like much to you it is for me. I have never participated in a social media site before nor have I wanted to.

Would logging in and posting your promise actually require that much additional effort? I probably didn't write that well...I meant that is the reason I hesitated signing up. Once I know how I intend to post roll every day and effort is not the issue.

1. I am both absent minded and procrastinate; even after it becomes a habit I know I will forget to post roll.
2. I do not own a smart phone; I live where there is no cell phone coverage; I have internet but it doesn't always work; I do not spend all my time online or indoors or being accessible...there will be times I can't post.

If you think those last two things about myself are reason enough that I shouldn't continue on this site let me know...I am curious about that and it has nothing to do with fixing what isn't broken.

One day at a time. We can do it anything for a day, we need to always remember that. I have quit every day since, July 23, 2014. That's 1,275 days of worrying about today. It works because we allow ourselves to be held to a higher standard, by a bunch of addicts. I wouldn't change a damn thing about it either.
Understand, I ask you to identify those items for a very specific reason. The reason and ability to define your quit and your plan when cravings arise is integral in staying quit. I am glad you joined the site and for whatever reason you sought it out. Based on what you say about internet and your lifestyle, I would recommend asking for and getting as many contact numbers as you can. People that are both in your quit group and others who are outside of it. It sounds as though you have a good understanding of your quit and what it means to keep your commitment. Those will serve you well. Thanks for the response. I quit with you today.

Offline Candoit

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • The Candy Man
  • Quit Date: Today
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:08:00 PM »

1. this site.

There are no circumstances in which using nicotine will improve the outcome.

My journey. The best part it is not over yet.

Offline zyx

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-10-09
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:31:00 PM »

1. this site.

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 06:26:00 AM »
Quote from: Dogonhunt
Welcome and congratulations on 100 Days on your own!!

I sure am interested in what you seek here? Kinda hoping that you’ll begin posting roll with us everyday, but I’m also assuming that is not what you plan since you stated that you are “no good at” it.

PM me if youÂ’d like, IÂ’m happy to share what IÂ’ve learned here.

Congrats Again!
Can you detail why you feel, after caving numerous times before, why this time will be different? I mean, having paused for a year and a half in the past , why would you say that at day 100, this is the hardest attempt yet? Your introduction sounds like you are setting yourself up to have an out, honestly. If you want something bad enough, wouldn't you do nearly anything to accomplish your goal? Would logging in and posting your promise actually require that much additional effort? Didn't it take a significant amount of effort to stay addicted to nicotine in the first place? Didn't you have to go somewhere to buy it? Which means, getting dressed, having cash, having fuel, having to stop, allow extra time on the way to a destination, etc.? Does logging in and typing your name in a group require more effort than that? The rules here are straightforward. We quit every day. We post our promise every day. You don't fix what isn't broken.

Offline Dogonhunt

• BANNED
  • Quit Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:28:00 AM »
Welcome and congratulations on 100 Days on your own!!

I sure am interested in what you seek here? Kinda hoping that you’ll begin posting roll with us everyday, but I’m also assuming that is not what you plan since you stated that you are “no good at” it.

PM me if youÂ’d like, IÂ’m happy to share what IÂ’ve learned here.

Congrats Again!

Offline canofbeans

• Quit Pro
  • (+1 Hidden)
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
Damn dude, congrats on one hundred by yourself, outstanding!
Rebel Rouser (retired)

Offline zyx

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-10-09
zyx Intro
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
So, I stumbled across this site late last year. I have been hesitant to join, not because I have any issues with this site, but I'm just not very social and I also know I will be no good at remembering to post roll call every day and there will be days I will not be able to post because I won't have any access...but here I am...hopefully to stay quit from tobacco for the rest of my life.

I have been a tobacco addict for about 47 years. I've also probably stopped 47 times in those 47 years for anywhere from a single day to about a year and a half. So, the bad news is, in your parlance, I've already caved about 47 times. The good news is I've thought a lot about why that happened so this time will be different.

Today is my day 100 without tobacco. This has been my hardest quit so far. I've never counted days quit before but I've found it a useful tool since I came across this site (I want that number to get bigger) so I will continue.

Already, after just a bit of reading, I'd like to say thanks to all of you who participate here. Not sure what I'm supposed to do next but I guess I'll figure it out...advice always welcome.