Author Topic: Getting ready for my quit date  (Read 5015 times)

Offline DjPorkchop

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Mother Fricker!!!
    • PaPa Ray's Photography
  • Quit Date: 9/17/2015
  • Interests: Brewing Beer and Building Cheap Smokers (UDS Drums)
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Getting ready for my quit date
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 06:32:44 AM »
And for anyone reading this now (Im Sorry I hate necro posting) "Pondering or planning a quit", look at the OP's post count, 1 and done! 99% of the time a plan fails. We don't mean to fail the plan, but .... When the moment comes to put the plan in to action awww shit sets in and awww fuck it takes over and a lip gets packed full of shit and off one goes on down the road.

The KTC way may not work for everyone. I get that. BUT look at how many thousands it has worked for and continues to work for daily here. Give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Steps in order:

1. Stop bullshitting your self, plans DON"T work.
2. Empty the tobacco in the toilet and flush.
3. Wash all dip cans and toss in garbage. Yes wash. You know how many have trash dived for them slivers of dip left in a dumped tin?
4 Cuss, scream holler and throw your fits and come on in and post your DAILY (that's all we ask is DAILY) promise.
5. Come back and post again tomorrow.

That simple. Come on in here and treat us like shit we can take it. We all done been through it. We don't give a shit! Bitch about that failed plan while you at it just get your ass in here and post. ( yes I say that as I do post and ghost some days now a days ) sorry... :-(

Folks reading this, once more, plans don't work. If you are looking for advice, please see my easy to follow steps.

Take care and catch you all on the boards! I quit with you all Every Damn Day!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:34:31 AM by DjPorkchop »
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline zam

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit is not a passive activity.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2019, 06:45:36 AM »
Man - I remember getting ready for my quit date.  I got ready for probably 15 years.  Hours of thinking about it while I would scrape my last dip out of my tin thinking "Should I do it now...no, I need to think about it more (while I run to get in the car to go buy another tin)".  I probably did that a couple thousand times.  Then near the end I thought about getting MORE serious about it.  Started thinking about ACTUALLY quitting while I'd buy 3 tins because I could save $2 on that purchase.  Through my second tin I'd think..."Yup, after my last tin I'll quit for good or just have a dip every other day".  3 years later I was still putting poison in my lip and had a 1-year old and I was thinking "Yea, I'll quit now...I thought I'd quit when I got married but I'll quit for my kid so he doesn't see me put this crap in my mouth killing myself".  A year more went by...man, these years add up, right? 

Quit now...do it for you.  Do it now and do it immediately.  Freedom is around the corner...not your fictitious quit date.  Don't have a moving target...just start now and embrace it.  If you have your quit date planned...your fog and rage will be at your daughter when it's her birthday.  Do it now and then you can look back at this moment and think "Why didn't I quit earlier???"  We all have that thought after we finally push through it.

Only you can quit for YOU.  Can't quit for someone else.  You need to do it for you and you only.  Do it now...get ready for the ride but really get ready for the freedom from this stupid dead plant holding you prisoner in your self-made prison that you (and all of us) made.

Do it...you will be so happy you did!  Quit one day at a time...don't think about the future dates...quit for today and then do it again tomorrow.  I've been quit for 1239 days (in a row!!!).  Why?  Because this program works one day at a time.  You can do it...you just have to want to do it.
really good stuff brother!  I second the idea of quitting for yourself.
I feel sorry for the poor spouses and kids who are the "reason" that their loved one is suffering through withdrawal.   (For those that don't understand fully this last sentence...study more and ask questions.)
*Quit today. Full stop. No qualifiers. Tomorrow?... IDK, IDC.

Offline Jersey327

• Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »
Chaz I had that same plan and it never worked. And then I always set a date telling myself ok this is the last day and that never worked. What did work was me waking up one morning and saying enough is enough and I was done. I’m only 11 days in but this is the first time I’ve ever even tried in 15 years. Good luck to you, it’s not so terrible 

Offline 41 YEARS

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 08:36:10 PM »
I have dipped cope for 41 YEARS heart attack 6/01/19 QUIT dipping 6/01/19 41 FRIKIN WASTED YEARS sorry no getting ready for quit date make it now no getting ready or your getting ready date may not make it I pray for you and I pray to get my 41 YEARS back

Offline AWright2262

• Quitter
  • Afghan Vet 16-17
  • Quit Date: 1-22-2019
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 06:02:30 AM »
Cold turkey isn't as hard as it seems. Drink water and drive on brother.
QD 1-22-2019. HOF 5-1-2019.  1st floor

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “

-Lt. Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try."

- John F. Kennedy

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 09:44:15 PM »
My goal right now is be able to stop nicotine use on my birthday, beginning of next month, and give my daughter nicotine free dad on her birthday, end of the month. 

So, how's this plan working for you?  I did the same thing: wean myself off of it.  Cut back to dipping only on the drive to/from work every day.  It increased the intensity of the "high", but I couldn't sustain it because (wait for it) I am addicted to nicotine.  I "weaned' myself for maybe a week, then I was back to my previous usage.

I didn't realize I'm an addict until a week or two into my quit.  You can read about it here.

Cold turkey is the proven most successful way to break free from the bonds of nicotine.  You're never "ready" to quit, so you just do it.  Stop thinking about it and just do it.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline Vaguy77

• Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 12:49:38 PM »
I can only speak as someone on day eight :).

1.  I tried the scaling back numerous times and it never worked for me. I think the more experienced folks on here would say that the addict mind will never let it work that way.  I tried it that way probably eight or nine times and I never got to a full quit, although I may have a few weeks of cutting back.

2.  Cold Turkey does suck-but the “scaling back” actually sucked more for me. I had to constantly fight the addict voice to not do more. With the cold turkey I had a plan in place that so far is working

3.  The hardest part of cold turkey for me was figuring out the trigger moments. It’s even hard to write about because it makes the cravings stronger!  But working in the yard, car drives, morning coffee, before bed, meetings at work, .  Hell everything seems like a trigger.

4.  The Smokey Mountain fake stuff has been a game changer for me. Honestly not sure if I would have gotten to eight days with out it.  No it’s not the same but it helps get thru the cravings. 

Good luck brother -

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 06:38:13 PM »
Chaz,

Everything my brothers above said is absolutely correct.  There is No, how did you put it, "cutting back", that his horse shit.  Your addict brain will not let you quit if you keep feeding it what it wants.  You have to cut it our 100% and embrace the suck that will follow.  It will suck, it will be hard, but if it is something you want, you will endure.  Flush that cat turd down the toilet where it belongs and go post your promise to remain nicotine fro the rest of the day.  In the morning, wake up, take a piss and then get back on here and post your promise again.  Keep doing that everyday and you will succeed as long as you keep your word.

So, the advise that all of us will give you is quit cold turkey, it is THE ONLY way to quit.  Anything else is not quitting.

Chris
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline Palpatine

• Administrator
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 1.6.2016
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
Man - I remember getting ready for my quit date.  I got ready for probably 15 years.  Hours of thinking about it while I would scrape my last dip out of my tin thinking "Should I do it now...no, I need to think about it more (while I run to get in the car to go buy another tin)".  I probably did that a couple thousand times.  Then near the end I thought about getting MORE serious about it.  Started thinking about ACTUALLY quitting while I'd buy 3 tins because I could save $2 on that purchase.  Through my second tin I'd think..."Yup, after my last tin I'll quit for good or just have a dip every other day".  3 years later I was still putting poison in my lip and had a 1-year old and I was thinking "Yea, I'll quit now...I thought I'd quit when I got married but I'll quit for my kid so he doesn't see me put this crap in my mouth killing myself".  A year more went by...man, these years add up, right? 

Quit now...do it for you.  Do it now and do it immediately.  Freedom is around the corner...not your fictitious quit date.  Don't have a moving target...just start now and embrace it.  If you have your quit date planned...your fog and rage will be at your daughter when it's her birthday.  Do it now and then you can look back at this moment and think "Why didn't I quit earlier???"  We all have that thought after we finally push through it.

Only you can quit for YOU.  Can't quit for someone else.  You need to do it for you and you only.  Do it now...get ready for the ride but really get ready for the freedom from this stupid dead plant holding you prisoner in your self-made prison that you (and all of us) made.

Do it...you will be so happy you did!  Quit one day at a time...don't think about the future dates...quit for today and then do it again tomorrow.  I've been quit for 1239 days (in a row!!!).  Why?  Because this program works one day at a time.  You can do it...you just have to want to do it.
Good...good, let the quit flow through you!  -chewie

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 570
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
So i am mostly looking for advise and opinions with this post.  I have been chewing for 20 years and last month I finally made the decision to do something about it.  I don't want to do cold turkey as I have heard that can be the hardest way to do it so what I have been doing is cutting back.  I WAS a 1 can day but now have reduced it by half.  The method I am working on is every 2 weeks i reduce the amount I consume.  Next week I reduce more and then 2 weeks after I reduce more.  My goal right now is be able to stop nicotine use on my birthday, beginning of next month, and give my daughter nicotine free dad on her birthday, end of the month. 

Does this seem like a good method to go with?  What other factors should I take into consideration?  I have already been learning to occupy my mind with things to do, reading, working out, etc. but would just like to know what I can expect down the road.  "Know thy enemy" kind of tactics i would like to develop.

I tried that method man, but let me tell you what... torture is the way to describe it.  You are slowly pulling off the band aid, prolonging the pain agony and giving yourself so many more excuses and ways to give up.  You will have more withdrawls, more anxiety.... just rip the son of a bitch off.  Cold Turkey is hard.  For how long, who knows, everyone is different.  But here, in this place there are going to be people going along with you doing the same thing.  Put your name down on roll and honor that promise like your life depends on it.  Count those days and soon, you will tell your daughter that daddy is at day 30, or 78, and tell her that you are a stronger person because of it.

Post roll.
To remain quit requires focus
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Skolvikings

• 86 Poison
  • Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.
  • Quit Date: 01/02/2018
  • Interests: Mortgage Professional, Foodie, Golf, Guns, Beer, Vikings Football, Cornhuskers Football, My Amazing Wife
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02:21:58 PM »
So i am mostly looking for advise and opinions with this post.  I have been chewing for 20 years and last month I finally made the decision to do something about it.  I don't want to do cold turkey as I have heard that can be the hardest way to do it so what I have been doing is cutting back.  I WAS a 1 can day but now have reduced it by half.  The method I am working on is every 2 weeks i reduce the amount I consume.  Next week I reduce more and then 2 weeks after I reduce more.  My goal right now is be able to stop nicotine use on my birthday, beginning of next month, and give my daughter nicotine free dad on her birthday, end of the month. 

Does this seem like a good method to go with?  What other factors should I take into consideration?  I have already been learning to occupy my mind with things to do, reading, working out, etc. but would just like to know what I can expect down the road.  "Know thy enemy" kind of tactics i would like to develop.

Sorry to say Chaz but there is only one tried and true method of quitting on KTC... cold, gooble gooble, turkey.  Is it hard, hell yes, but it has worked for thousands upon thousands of people before us.  I'm on day 512 and I can't explain to you how amazing it gets.  If you truly want to quit, for yourself, not your daughter, not a wife, not an insurance reason.... if you truly want to quit for yourself, stand up and flush that dead plant cancer crap down the toilet.  Post your promise in September 19  Click here >>> https://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?topic=14277.msg2299684#new and take your freedom back.

I promise you there is no time like the present, make your promise, keep your word, as long as your word is good, and repeat tomorrow... do this one day at a time and you will be soaring in no time flat.

Skol- 512 days of being a better role model for my sons
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:36:09 PM by Skolvikings »
Be humble... grow everyday.

I fear I will always be chasing the vortex like a drug. None will be as special as my first hit.

MY HOF SPEECH

Offline Leonidas

• BANNED
  • Master of Quit
  • Schizophrenic Born Again Problem Child
  • Likes Given: 1186
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »

Perfect recipe for failure.
Throw it away now, go post your promise in September 19.
Tomorrow never comes
Nothing Gold Can Stay

"When I grow up, I'm gonna grow a Man Bun!!!" - MNxEngineer314

"Yes I'm a weasel, but look! My name's RED!!!" - walterwhite

"Matt....Da_mon...." - Palpatine

Offline Chaz12b

• Likes Given: 0
Getting ready for my quit date
« on: May 28, 2019, 02:12:41 PM »