Author Topic: Sick of Living In Fear  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Bean

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sick of Living In Fear
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
5am - These bad-ass quitters have already told you all you need to know. I've got nothing to add except to congratulate you on making a great choice and to say Welcome, Brother!!!

Offline rickddd

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 1/6/2013
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
5am - welcome to the site!

Step 1 to quitting is to dump all your cans (including any secret stashes in your golf bag, tool box, etc) into the toilet and flush. its not enough to put full cans in your garbage. This includes nicorette gum, cigars, and anything with nicotine in it. Get rid of it.

Step 2 is to click on the pink WELCOME CENTER link near the top left of this page, and learn how to post roll. You will be in the April 2014 group (because you'll reach 100 days quit in April 2014) and you will post roll in there. POST ROLL EVERY SINGLE DAY WITHOUT EXCEPTION. Posting roll is your promise to your group that you will not use nicotine that day, all day, no matter what. It is the cornerstone of the KTC program.

Step 3 is to keep your word and not use nicotine all day, just for that 1 day. We quit one day at a time here, because forever is often too overwhelming.

Step 4 is to reach out to others in this intro thread, and especially in your April 2014 group, and exchange phone numbers. This gives you a back up plan in times of an emergency, so you can text or call a quit brother if/when you ever need to.

You need to be committed to quitting to be successful. People who just want to "TRY" to quit, never do. Decide you are quit, and be quit.

Rick
---------------------------
Quit Date: 1/6/2013
Hall of Fame: 4/15/2013
COMMA! 10/2/2015
41st floor: 3/28/2024

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Quote from: Sharsky
5am...

you've come to the right place.  you need to arm yourself with the information and knowledge available on this site...get educated on what this crap is doing to you, ever so sllooooowly. Learn this enemy....get to know this enemy and what tricks nicotine will play on you.  make sure that you have a plan....posting roll DAILY is the cornerstone, making your promise to us and having the integrity to honor that promise.  It works.  that Welcome Center clicky linky above gives you tons of info.  Reads Intro's, Read Hall of Fame speeches....build up your knowledge base on nicotine, come up with your plan, and USE IT.  Make getting numbers from fellow quitters here that you can call and  lean on part of your Quit Plan....

The first few days will be the physical withdrawals...after that its mental.  Do what ya gotta do to get thru em....exercise, drinks tons of water, fake chew, sunflower seeds, shredded jerky, or whatever you choose.  Just.Stay.Quit. 

You're young.  Quit now.  Don't be like me and in 20 years be searching the internet trying to figger out how to quit chewing.  You have found the place to make quit happen.

PM me if you need numbers too.....Now, let's get your quit started by posting your promise with your group.  Once you do that....you've got the support of thousands of folks here.....
hey man....ya know what else???

today opens up a new group...April 2014. go check that groups page out. look at all the support in there...post your promise and get to quitting, presuming you are serious about this.

...yet no new quitters have posted a promise yet. sounds like the timing is good for a leader to step up...
I agree, I think you would be a great leader and that will strengthen your quit even more because the 100-150 others that sign up for April 2014 group will look up to you. Every group needs strong quitters to help and don't be discouraged only about 1/3 actually make it to 100 days. That shows how rough this addiction is. Oh yea if you quit today you'll reach 100 on my 2 year anniversary.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline Sharsky

• Quitter
  • Uh huh huh huh huh huh
  • Quit Date: 10/12/12
  • Interests: Camping, Biking (mountain and road), BBQ'ing, and puppy activities
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
5am...

you've come to the right place. you need to arm yourself with the information and knowledge available on this site...get educated on what this crap is doing to you, ever so sllooooowly. Learn this enemy....get to know this enemy and what tricks nicotine will play on you. make sure that you have a plan....posting roll DAILY is the cornerstone, making your promise to us and having the integrity to honor that promise. It works. that Welcome Center clicky linky above gives you tons of info. Reads Intro's, Read Hall of Fame speeches....build up your knowledge base on nicotine, come up with your plan, and USE IT. Make getting numbers from fellow quitters here that you can call and lean on part of your Quit Plan....

The first few days will be the physical withdrawals...after that its mental. Do what ya gotta do to get thru em....exercise, drinks tons of water, fake chew, sunflower seeds, shredded jerky, or whatever you choose. Just.Stay.Quit.

You're young. Quit now. Don't be like me and in 20 years be searching the internet trying to figger out how to quit chewing. You have found the place to make quit happen.

PM me if you need numbers too.....Now, let's get your quit started by posting your promise with your group. Once you do that....you've got the support of thousands of folks here.....
hey man....ya know what else???

today opens up a new group...April 2014. go check that groups page out. look at all the support in there...post your promise and get to quitting, presuming you are serious about this.

...yet no new quitters have posted a promise yet. sounds like the timing is good for a leader to step up...
January '13 Jackwagins
Quit Date:  October 12, 2012

Offline Sharsky

• Quitter
  • Uh huh huh huh huh huh
  • Quit Date: 10/12/12
  • Interests: Camping, Biking (mountain and road), BBQ'ing, and puppy activities
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
5am...

you've come to the right place. you need to arm yourself with the information and knowledge available on this site...get educated on what this crap is doing to you, ever so sllooooowly. Learn this enemy....get to know this enemy and what tricks nicotine will play on you. make sure that you have a plan....posting roll DAILY is the cornerstone, making your promise to us and having the integrity to honor that promise. It works. that Welcome Center clicky linky above gives you tons of info. Reads Intro's, Read Hall of Fame speeches....build up your knowledge base on nicotine, come up with your plan, and USE IT. Make getting numbers from fellow quitters here that you can call and lean on part of your Quit Plan....

The first few days will be the physical withdrawals...after that its mental. Do what ya gotta do to get thru em....exercise, drinks tons of water, fake chew, sunflower seeds, shredded jerky, or whatever you choose. Just.Stay.Quit.

You're young. Quit now. Don't be like me and in 20 years be searching the internet trying to figger out how to quit chewing. You have found the place to make quit happen.

PM me if you need numbers too.....Now, let's get your quit started by posting your promise with your group. Once you do that....you've got the support of thousands of folks here.....
January '13 Jackwagins
Quit Date:  October 12, 2012

Offline 30isEnuff

• Quitter
  • Keeping my jaw and tongue, I like them.
    • I'm The Owner of this Place.
  • Quit Date: May 25, 2012
  • Interests: "Being Quit" Today, just Today.Moving on to more of life before the light is gone.
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
Quote from: grizzlyhasclaws
Just do it man!! Quit! Read the welcome center, read everything on this site, and stick tithe program. Follow it to the T, and you will be successful. This site is for quitters and there are thousands here who were just like you. Flush your shit and post roll, then you will be a quitter with the support of thousands others just like you.

Make sure you're quit before you post roll. And posting roll is sacred, so honor that promise. Shoot me a PM if you have questions.
Follow Grizzly. He's quit.
Keeping my jaw and tongue...I like them.
It's poison I tell ya, You wouldn't drink Liquid Drano, would ya?

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Just do it man!! Quit! Read the welcome center, read everything on this site, and stick tithe program. Follow it to the T, and you will be successful. This site is for quitters and there are thousands here who were just like you. Flush your shit and post roll, then you will be a quitter with the support of thousands others just like you.

Make sure you're quit before you post roll. And posting roll is sacred, so honor that promise. Shoot me a PM if you have questions.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline golfpro9696

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2013-12-09
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
All I can say is that you've come to the right spot.

From what I've learned in my short time here, I can say that this group makes quitting the simplest, yet still hardest thing you'll ever do. Post roll every morning and then keep your word for the rest of that day. Simple. Grind through the craves  the suck, hard.....but there are plenty of guys here to lean on when the shit hits the fan.

Own your quit, keep your word  take it One Day At A Time (ODAAT). Simple but hard.

Now read everything in the Welcome Center. I also found the HOF speeches very useful and inspiring.

You can do this!
Quit Date: 12/9/2013
HOF Date: 3/18/2014
15th Floor: 1/16/2018
1 Year: 12/9/2014
2 Year: 12/9/2015
3 Year: 12/9/2016
4 Year: 12/9/2017

Proud member of March '14 Ironmen

Offline 5amRoadWork

Sick of Living In Fear
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
I'm a 23 year old male who's been chewing off and on (usually on) for about 3-3.5 yearsÂ… I remember the first time I tried it, I was offered it by a co-worker and I fell in love with it. Since then the time has just flew by and I really don't want to think about all the money I've wasted and how much I've chewed.

I would usually chew 3 (34g) cans a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I've hid my addiction from EVERYONE I know. I wasn't even sure if averaging 3 cans a week was a lot or not because I never looked into chewing tobacco or talked to others who did it. I kept it on the down low, didn't think about it. I just did it because I enjoyed it.

But it's gotten to the point where it's not even fun anymore.

I live in Canada where it costs $25 a can. When I started just a couple years back I believe it was $18 a can.
Averaging about 3 cans a week isn't a whole lot now that I'm reading the stories of others here, but it's still expensive at $50-$100 a week.

Another reason I've decided to quit is the fear of getting caught. I'm an independent adult who lives on my own, I have a career, a mortgage, etc I'm free to do what I want but because I've hid this for such a long time, it's gotten to the point where I've become super paranoid about it. When I go to the convince store to buy, I wait in my car until no one else is in the store in fear of running into someone I know while I'm buying a can.
It's a mix of not wanting people to know I have an addiction and also I live in the same small town as my parents. So someone finding out, the word spreading and, while highly unlikely, it getting back to my parents would be awful because I know it would disappoint them.
My mom found a can in my car when I was 19 and she cried. I convinced her it was my friend's and she believed it.

The main reason why it's not longer fun is the fear and paranoia I feel about my health. I don't know a whole lot about the health risks because I was afraid to look into it, still am, but I constantly lose sleep over it. I checked my blood pressure a few months back and it was a bit high considering my good health. That had me freaking out.
I have a couple cavities that weigh on my mind constantly.
If I get an ulcer or a cut in my mouth or lips I lose sleep.
I'm constantly checking my mouth in the mirror, if I find anything, a bump on my tongue, anything that even looks remotely like a white spot on my gums, I absolutely lose my shit and freak out.
Every time I dip, I enjoy doing it but there's this awful feeling that I'm going to get cancer and die. It makes me sick to my stomach.

It's just not worth it anymore.

I know quitting will be difficult because I've always associated doing it with doing something "fun".
Any time I'm alone and doing something "fun", I have to throw in a dip.

If I'm about to watch a movie.
About to listen to a new album.
About to watch a sporting event.
Or even coming home after work, I'd have to sit back and relax with a dip in.
Anytime I do anything "fun", I have to enhance the experience with chewing tobacco.

It's time for me to change. I'm sick of living in fear.

ps. Forgive me if this is too long of a post. Thanks for taking the time to read.