Author Topic: Dealing with anxiety and depression  (Read 2203 times)

Offline MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4367
Re: Dealing with anxiety and depression
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »
Hi all,
I have tried quitting chew several times in my life. I usually chewed Grizzly wintergreen and I would say averaged around 1 can per day. I’m almost at 2 months in my most recent attempt. I’m very determined to quit because chewing seems to cause a lot of problems in my life.

At this point I was expecting the withdrawals to start to fade away, everything I’ve read online states that withdrawals don’t last more than a few weeks. Lately, I have been having a hard time dealing with depression and anxiety. Since I quit chew it seems like I fixate on certain things that used to not bother me. It’s causing issues in my relationship because I fixate on things my girlfriend does or does not do and it’s driving me crazy. I didn’t have these concerns before I quit, but now I find myself second guessing the relationship.

Part of me thinks that my brain is trying to push everyone away just as an excuse to start chewing again. I’ve found that when life gets tough I tend to self isolate, and I’m unsure if withdrawals from chewing are sending me back to isolation.

Has anyone else experienced something similar during their quitting experience?
Welcome @Dancing Bear ! Glad you found us. I'd encourage you (if you haven't already) to join KTC on Discord. Follow this link for instructions: https://ktcforum.org/index.php?board=267.0

Our process here is not always easy but it is incredibly simple: Post a daily promise that you will not use nicotine in ANY form right away in the morning when you wake up and then keep that promise for 24 hours at a time.

What you describe is incredibly common and something almost every quitter deals with during their quit. I would caution you in regard to expected timelines related to craves, brain fog, depression, anxiety, etc. Each person is different and our brains need time to rewire and heal. At 2 months in, you are still playing the mental game. Days ~60-80 for me where some of the most brutal of my quit. Join our community over on Discord which is very vibrant and active with people who are dealing with everything you are going through too.

One last note for now - don't hesitate to go to your doctor to talk about the depression/anxiety. I never dealt with those issues myself until further along in my quit. I eventually used CBD for a while and found a therapist to speak with on a regular basis. There is no shame in any of it but defer to your doctor to help you find a plan that is right for you.

Exactly. Just post roll.
^Don't ever listen to this guy. He has never bought into the system and certainly doesn't practice what he preaches. Ignore his trollish posts.
Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |
29th FL: 04.02.24 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline BaylorGrad19

• Quit Date: October 23, 2022
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 10:51:58 AM »
Hi all,
I have tried quitting chew several times in my life. I usually chewed Grizzly wintergreen and I would say averaged around 1 can per day. I’m almost at 2 months in my most recent attempt. I’m very determined to quit because chewing seems to cause a lot of problems in my life.

At this point I was expecting the withdrawals to start to fade away, everything I’ve read online states that withdrawals don’t last more than a few weeks. Lately, I have been having a hard time dealing with depression and anxiety. Since I quit chew it seems like I fixate on certain things that used to not bother me. It’s causing issues in my relationship because I fixate on things my girlfriend does or does not do and it’s driving me crazy. I didn’t have these concerns before I quit, but now I find myself second guessing the relationship.

Part of me thinks that my brain is trying to push everyone away just as an excuse to start chewing again. I’ve found that when life gets tough I tend to self isolate, and I’m unsure if withdrawals from chewing are sending me back to isolation.

Welcome @Dancing Bear ! Glad you found us. I'd encourage you (if you haven't already) to join KTC on Discord. Follow this link for instructions: https://ktcforum.org/index.php?board=267.0

Our process here is not always easy but it is incredibly simple: Post a daily promise that you will not use nicotine in ANY form right away in the morning when you wake up and then keep that promise for 24 hours at a time.

What you describe is incredibly common and something almost every quitter deals with during their quit. I would caution you in regard to expected timelines related to craves, brain fog, depression, anxiety, etc. Each person is different and our brains need time to rewire and heal. At 2 months in, you are still playing the mental game. Days ~60-80 for me where some of the most brutal of my quit. Join our community over on Discord which is very vibrant and active with people who are dealing with everything you are going through too.

One last note for now - don't hesitate to go to your doctor to talk about the depression/anxiety. I never dealt with those issues myself until further along in my quit. I eventually used CBD for a while and found a therapist to speak with on a regular basis. There is no shame in any of it but defer to your doctor to help you find a plan that is right for you.

Exactly. Just post roll.
Never Again For Any Reason
One Day At A Time

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2001
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 07:26:34 PM »
Hi all,

@Dancing Bear   MNxEngineer speaks the truth. A few things to add would be to really focus on just quitting today. When I stopped thinking about quitting forever and just focused on quitting one day at a time it greatly reduced the stress. Drink a ton of water, get some exercise, understand your body is and will be going through a ton for a while, again - everyone is different. Also, try to get some extra rest even if it is for a short nap. Your body is working hard and doesn’t have the “boost” from nicotine in it anymore. Find positives in our quit. You should be support proud of yourself. The final thing I will add is make connections over on Discord. It is sooooooo much easier to quit with a group of fellow quitters than to attempt it alone. Different method of quitting just might yield a different result. Hit me up through messages if I can help either here or on Discord. Happy to partner with you to beat this addiction. 
Jan19

Offline MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4367
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 11:00:22 AM »
Hi all,

Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |
29th FL: 04.02.24 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline Dancing Bear

• Likes Given: 0
Dealing with anxiety and depression
« on: November 02, 2022, 10:48:54 AM »
Hi all,