Author Topic: Growth Mindset  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Smokeyg

• Quit King
  • Likes Given: 3
Growth Mindset
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:22:00 AM »
Today is a very special day in my quit. Day 2,288 - the day that I found a video that perfectly captures my philosophy of quitting tobacco and teaching. Growth Mindset TedTalk.

My member number is about a year ahead of the rest of my quit group. I made the decision to quit tobacco early in 2007. I joined a quit smoking class through my local hospital (I still felt dirty for chewing around these folks). Many nonchalantly failed during our two months together, but I perservered. After about 100 days, I found this website and posted a blowhard message on the General Discussion page (here it is). I never joined a quit group. I never even checked back. I stopped at a C-store for directions when I was lost, saw a 2-for-1 sale on some brand I can no longer remember and had "just one".

Just under a year later I returned and joined a quit group. I was scared shitless, but dedicated myself 100% to my quit. Posting roll, sending personal messages, talking shit, making phone calls. I was so invested that I feared my failure would destroy the quits of my August 2008 brothers and sister. I had my moments of adversity and doubt with this community, but I post roll daily over 6 years later. I know that I am an addict. I know I am a stronger person each day I take control of my life.

You have failed in the past. You are not your addiction. You will grow. You have to believe it. You have to live it. You are not your khakis.

And on another note, I teach literacy classes to high school students reading below grade level. First day of school, I am going to share this video, my personal struggles and successes of my addiction, and my personal goal to transform from a beanpole with a belly to a 37-year old beefcake. My students will set goals of their own. The gun show will inspire academic growth. Look for me on the fitness page soon. Fuck, I'm outta shape....kids and beer don't mix.