Author Topic: General Discussion - 2012  (Read 44808 times)

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General Discussion - 2012
« Reply #1011 on: December 26, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Quote from: lbj
Quote from: Magriff
I have been chewing going on 31 yrs.  I started when I was 14, not because of peer pressure, but Clint Eastwood!!  My father took us to see "The Outlaw Josie Whales" and I thought it was so cool when he spit on the dogs head!  I began imitating him using beef jerky.  Plus, it didn't help that I would always go down to the drug store and buy my parents cartons of cigarettes!  Eventually I decided to try Beech Nut and the rest is history.  I really enjoy a good chaw, but I realize I have to quit!  I have a beautiful family and I want to be around to share in their lives.  My gums are shot and I am beginning to lose enamel on some teeth.  I just sat down and put in some info. to see if there are any tips out there and I came upon this site.  My plan is to start January 1st.  Please, any advice would be much appreciated.
My advice- don't wait till Jan 1st.
Dump it now and you will head into the new year nic free.
I have got to agree! Dump your shit NOW!!please don't wait you will find a reason to put it off again more than likely. As a 40 year addict I used every excuse over and over! I found KTC 273 days ago with a plan to quit in 2 weeks, well after reading I sat by the toilet 270 days ago and cried as I flushed my cope. My friend I've never regretted that decision. I won't say it's been easy in fact many days sucked, however today I haven't even thought of dip. I know you can't possibly imagine what help is available to you but if you will take the step there are people lined up to share their experience and advice. Not only that we addicts are the only ones that truly understand and empathize with you. Don't get me wrong if you slack off or don't take quitting serious this group that have put their all into quitting wont tolerate excuses or being a half assed quitter! Now quit or get off the pot!
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline lbj

• Quitter
« Reply #1010 on: December 26, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
Quote from: Magriff
I have been chewing going on 31 yrs. I started when I was 14, not because of peer pressure, but Clint Eastwood!! My father took us to see "The Outlaw Josie Whales" and I thought it was so cool when he spit on the dogs head! I began imitating him using beef jerky. Plus, it didn't help that I would always go down to the drug store and buy my parents cartons of cigarettes! Eventually I decided to try Beech Nut and the rest is history. I really enjoy a good chaw, but I realize I have to quit! I have a beautiful family and I want to be around to share in their lives. My gums are shot and I am beginning to lose enamel on some teeth. I just sat down and put in some info. to see if there are any tips out there and I came upon this site. My plan is to start January 1st. Please, any advice would be much appreciated.
My advice- don't wait till Jan 1st.
Dump it now and you will head into the new year nic free.
Take away,take away... take away this ball and chain

Offline Magriff

• Quitter
  • Interests: Weightlifting - "I will outwork you or I will die trying! I don't believe in 2nd best. I'm 46 but I will not lose to anyone, or to anything. The only thing that can defeat me is myself. I have fought every day of my life to be the best I can be. God is my savior and I will answer only to Him for all my faults."
« Reply #1009 on: December 26, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
I have been chewing going on 31 yrs. I started when I was 14, not because of peer pressure, but Clint Eastwood!! My father took us to see "The Outlaw Josie Whales" and I thought it was so cool when he spit on the dogs head! I began imitating him using beef jerky. Plus, it didn't help that I would always go down to the drug store and buy my parents cartons of cigarettes! Eventually I decided to try Beech Nut and the rest is history. I really enjoy a good chaw, but I realize I have to quit! I have a beautiful family and I want to be around to share in their lives. My gums are shot and I am beginning to lose enamel on some teeth. I just sat down and put in some info. to see if there are any tips out there and I came upon this site. My plan is to start January 1st. Please, any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #1008 on: December 26, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
Quote from: grizzlysnuffer
My brother is quitting smoking. Giving up the Nic bitch in any form is great news to me and inspiring. I want to know if I can welcome him to our community of ex-dippers or if he should post else where. I just want to have the encouragement that I have had through this site. I would even purchase his hof token. Just want to know if this would be ok with the administration.
He's welcome here. This great community is here to save anyone from the dangers of nicotine. We specialize in smokeless, but have been just as successful saving smokers.

That said, if your brother would be more comfortable with a group of ex-smokers, he can also try whack a pack, a smoking quit site founded by the same folks who bring you kill the can. There's a link at the top of this page. Be warned that whack a pack is quite a bit younger than this site, so there aren't as many folks there yet.

My suggestion - have him use both.
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline grizzlysnuffer

• Quitter
« Reply #1007 on: December 26, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
My brother is quitting smoking. Giving up the Nic bitch in any form is great news to me and inspiring. I want to know if I can welcome him to our community of ex-dippers or if he should post else where. I just want to have the encouragement that I have had through this site. I would even purchase his hof token. Just want to know if this would be ok with the administration.
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt
"It always seems impossible until it's done." Nelson Mandela
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when YOUR tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired." Robert Strauss
"Never give in, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to a force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

Offline grizzlysnuffer

• Quitter
« Reply #1006 on: December 26, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Quote from: bonzey1171
This is my first day quit and I am surpised how easy it has been so far really. I have quit many times before only to relapse like a dumbfuck. This time is for good. I am sick of hiding this disgusting habit from my family. Plus I would really like to get a girlfriend again, and how many chicks want some turd sucking dipper for a man? I'm fuckin sick of the whole thing, the money spent, the sneaking around, the whole thing. It's fucking embarassing at my age to be still doing this shit. I want out and I know I can never have another dip. It's so stupid. Last time I quit, I made it six months, then like a dumbfuck, I told myself I'd just have one. I ended up doing a little over a can a day. It's time. I'm done. I can't do this shit anymore.
Welcome. Be proud of yourself about today and work on tomorrow. This site is here for you. Day42
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." Franklin D. Roosevelt
"Success is a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when YOUR tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired." Robert Strauss
"Never give in, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to a force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

Offline bonzey1171

« Reply #1005 on: December 25, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
This is my first day quit and I am surpised how easy it has been so far really. I have quit many times before only to relapse like a dumbfuck. This time is for good. I am sick of hiding this disgusting habit from my family. Plus I would really like to get a girlfriend again, and how many chicks want some turd sucking dipper for a man? I'm fuckin sick of the whole thing, the money spent, the sneaking around, the whole thing. It's fucking embarassing at my age to be still doing this shit. I want out and I know I can never have another dip. It's so stupid. Last time I quit, I made it six months, then like a dumbfuck, I told myself I'd just have one. I ended up doing a little over a can a day. It's time. I'm done. I can't do this shit anymore.

Offline grizzlysnuffer

• Quitter
« Reply #1004 on: December 24, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Quote from: jake72
Quote from: QuittinTime
Quote from: iuchewie
Thanks for the support of this site. I would like to ask, even though its probably already been asked, but will there be an iPhone/droid app? Can anyone set this up or have I just become that whiny ass bitch with the iPhone? Day26 also no sleep for 2 days 'zombie'
There isn't one... yet. But it's definitely on our radar screen.
Just keep clicking and scrolling and zooming you'll be to busy with the phone to be busy with the can. _
I would like an iPhone App! Nice way to post roll call.
I did find that you can add this site to your home screen. It looks just like an app. It's just a shortcut. If you create the shortcut to your quit group it automatically goes to the most recent post.
All you have to do is hit the "forward icon" at the bottom of the screen and you can choose to add it to homescreen

Offline grizzlysnuffer

• Quitter
« Reply #1003 on: December 24, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Quote from: jake72
Quote from: QuittinTime
Quote from: iuchewie
Thanks for the support of this site. I would like to ask, even though its probably already been asked, but will there be an iPhone/droid app? Can anyone set this up or have I just become that whiny ass bitch with the iPhone? Day26 also no sleep for 2 days 'zombie'
There isn't one... yet. But it's definitely on our radar screen.
Just keep clicking and scrolling and zooming you'll be to busy with the phone to be busy with the can. _
I would like an iPhone App! Nice way to post roll call.
I did find that you can add this site to your home screen. It looks just like an app. It's just a shortcut. If you create the shortcut to your quit group it automatically goes to the most recent post.

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #1002 on: December 24, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Quote from: Keddy
Merry Christmas, Quitters!!
x2. Grateful to be quit this Christmas!!

Offline Keddy

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Break the Chains
« Reply #1001 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Merry Christmas, Quitters!!

Offline Copehater

• Quitter
« Reply #1000 on: December 22, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Went to the Wal-mart in a lower income part of town today. I passed on some of my quit savings to 26 families to help bring some cheer to those that need it.
I encourage others to pay it forward.
Are We Having Fun Yet?

Offline Dtim

• Quitter
« Reply #999 on: December 20, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Quote from: Diesel2112
Random thought...

Day 187 and my quit seems to be going very smooth. Still some bumps, mainly when I tackle tasks I've never tackled dip free before but all in all in relation to "every day life", I find myself doing better and better.

As I drove for 4 hrs today I pondered why and came to the conclusion I am not using will power to quit anymore. In the early days will power was all I used. That's because you use will power when you think you are giving up something pleasurable.

Even though I knew that not chewing was the right move, I honestly believed I was giving something "good" up and it pissed me off and stressed me out...not being able to dip only added to this stress. It was a nightmare and a vicious cycle of frustration and only will power kept me quit.

I couldn't continue to be quit with will power alone, it would be torture and just too hard. I would either cave or TOTALLY flip out (my body had already mildly flopped out). It wasn't until I really started reading and educating myself on nicotine addictiont that I realized I wasn't giving up anything pleasurable, I was giving up something that was controlling my life and trying to kill me.

It was FEAR that I really needed to give up. Fear that nic gave me confidence, fear that nic made me sociable, fear that nic relaxed me, fear that nic made "things" better. That was all bullshit. Once I gave those fears up, I quit relying on will power to quit and realized I wasn't giving up a God Damn thing.

I read people with more days quit than me say that they still battle the nic bitch everyday. I don't believe that should be the case. Will every day be easy? Hell no, but I think those that are past the HOF and still fight nic daily are still using will power to quit. I think they need to fight their fears of quitting for things to get easier. I think winning that battle is the true way to freedom.

Again, these are just MY random thoughts. Thanks for reading and STAY QUIT!!'

Diesel2112
I believe you are dead on here........I feel the same way.
It is what it is.....

Offline GR8WHITEBUFFALO

• Quitter
  • Interests: Running, hunting, fishing, golfing, wasting away in margaritaville.
« Reply #998 on: December 20, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
Nothing says Merry Christmas to me but Eddie in his bathrobe !!!! Classic.

"Shitters full"
Enough is enough. Time to take control back from the nic bitch. My HOF speechGR8WHITEBUFFALO

Offline Mjollnir

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #997 on: December 20, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
Nice banner, I really like it.