Author Topic: Today I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again. (A journey through one man's recovery)  (Read 68094 times)

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2035
Re: Today, I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
Quote from: wildirish317
For the past two years, I've been fighting my addiction to nicotine. Every single day, I made my promise to people I've never met, that I will remain nicotine free today.

For the past two years, I've come here and shared the things I've learned about addiction, how it affects us, and how we can react to it; how we can live with it.

I just finished reading through my entire intro, and realize I have absolutely nothing left to share. My quit is strong. I have no obstacles in my immediate quit. I'm at the point where I see people using tobacco and think "I don't understand why someone would stick that shit in their mouth (or lungs)." I have an aversion to nicotine. It held me in its grasp for 38 years. I am now free. I will stay free.

This is not a farewell post. It's more like the end of my introduction. If you don't know me by now, there's nothing I can add. I am quit. You will still find me around the site, posting roll, or making Haiku's. Early in my quit, I always longed for the day when my quit group was as quiet as the old quit groups. It's there now. I can finally post in peace. I am now "reteered" as one of my favorite quitters likes to say.

PS: When I learn something about addiction and recovery (and I will) I will return to post it. In the mean time, I have a whole new life to explore.
Be looking forward to more then.
I've pointed numerous new and old quit here...to this treasure-trove...and I still will when the moment arises.
Quit on.
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2018, 11:09:00 AM »
For the past two years, I've been fighting my addiction to nicotine. Every single day, I made my promise to people I've never met, that I will remain nicotine free today.

For the past two years, I've come here and shared the things I've learned about addiction, how it affects us, and how we can react to it; how we can live with it.

I just finished reading through my entire intro, and realize I have absolutely nothing left to share. My quit is strong. I have no obstacles in my immediate quit. I'm at the point where I see people using tobacco and think "I don't understand why someone would stick that shit in their mouth (or lungs)." I have an aversion to nicotine. It held me in its grasp for 38 years. I am now free. I will stay free.

This is not a farewell post. It's more like the end of my introduction. If you don't know me by now, there's nothing I can add. I am quit. You will still find me around the site, posting roll, or making Haiku's. Early in my quit, I always longed for the day when my quit group was as quiet as the old quit groups. It's there now. I can finally post in peace. I am now "reteered" as one of my favorite quitters likes to say.

PS: When I learn something about addiction and recovery (and I will) I will return to post it. In the mean time, I have a whole new life to explore.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #236 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:00 PM »
Quote from: RWBullet
congrats on 2 years quit 'irish' 'party2'
Thanks, but not there yet. Thanks to quitting in February during a Leap Year, my anniversary is Sunday, 2/25. (Pretty damn sure I'm going to make it though. A couple of promises to make and keep yet.)
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline RWBullet

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 07/10/2017
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Firearms, Outdoors
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #235 on: February 23, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
congrats on 2 years quit 'irish' 'party2'
"We Quit Like Fuck! its a state of mind. Learn it, live it, love it."
"Take what you need and leave the rest."
"WakeUpPissPost EveryDamnDay OneDayAtATime"

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »
Day 713

Random thought (we're allowed that after doing this for 700+ days, right)?

What you post on the internet tells the world more about you than what you're posting about.

Translate that to "real life", what you say tells the world more about you than what you're talking about.

Encourage, enlighten, educate.

Offline David S

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
Quote from: DonkeyMN
Quote from: FLLipOut
700!

Congrats on your 7th floor quit, irish!

'party2'
Congrats on 7 floors of badassery, and all the help you provide around here. Proud to quit with the cloverleaf!
Hey Irish.. Congrats on hitting the 7th floor!
APP!
:wub: Thank you! You three have always been my strongest supporters!
IÂ’m late to the party but 700 is awesome

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
700!

'party2'
Congrats on 7 floors of badassery, and all the help you provide around here. Proud to quit with the cloverleaf!
APP!
:wub: Thank you! You three have always been my strongest supporters!

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2035
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2018, 07:30:00 PM »
700!

'party2'
APP!
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline DonkeyMN

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 01-31-2017
  • Likes Given: 574
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2018, 09:51:00 AM »
700!

'party2'
To remain quit requires focus
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
700!

'party2'
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
Day 681

A Tribute to June 2009!

I started posting with June 2009 on the 43rd day of my quit. I posted with them every damned day until today.

I guess I should say that I posted with Syndrome and XCF on their thread. Dan The Man was the only original member that I recall posting there. He hung with us for a while, then faded away.

It was my quiet place. A place to go when the home page was so full of shite and drivel that I just had to get away. It was always quiet. I couldn't wait until my own group became that quiet.

It is that quiet now.

Still, I posted with June 09 every day. Partially out of respect, partially because I feel like I should have been a part of that group. If I had quit in 09, I would be seven years more quit than I am. Seven years less nicotine ingestion.

When I went there to post roll this morning, the thread is closed because no original members are still posting in it.

Sadness.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #227 on: December 22, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
Day 667

PAWs struck again last night. Just a strong feeling of irritability, no more.

So, I canceled all of my plans and took the evening off, just relaxed.

I feel fine this morning.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #226 on: December 01, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
Quote from: DeskJockey
Good introductory posts, wildirish! I'm a 30-year chewer and dipper and can relate to learning not to spit and also going through "only" two cans per week. Lots of guys here say they did that in a day, and I don't see how, unless they kept spitting out one dip and putting another one in every ten or fifteen minutes. I'd put in a dip and leave it for an hour or two!

Glad you're here. You can do this. The quitting fog will be around for a while, and if you're like me, you'll have mysterious aches and pains as well, but keep up the good fight and you'll be over the hardest part before you know it!
Thanks man. I told Mrs. Irish that she will have to put up with my irritability this weekend.

Which, btw, I'm glad it's the weekend. A lot of people are posting on my roll call to be wary of the weekend, but I need to be away from work to do this. I certainly don't want to lash out at people, and I almost came home "sick" today just to take a nap.
I was on bp meds, Lipitor, and type 2 diabetes meds when I quit.

They are all in the trash now. Nicotine can fuck off.

Not taking meds is great. Feeling 20 years younger is great. Not being terrified every time my lip hurt is great. Saving money is great. Not hiding and lying is great.

But dude, the sense of freedom from not, consciously or unconsciously, planning damn near every minute around making sure my blood nicotine levels were satisfied... Is not something that I or any other quitter can adequately put into words. Right now you are an angry addict fighting hard. I promise you, scouts honor, that there is a sense of pride and peace ahead that you are not anticipating and can not imagine.

Welcome to Ktc. Posting is not easy or intuitive as you've discovered. If you mess up roll - someone will fix it. You'll get better at it. In the meantime, just focus on today. Very very very bright days are ahead. If I can help at all - shoot me a pm

-w2w
You kept that promise w2w. I'm feeling it now.

Offline Dogonhunt

• BANNED
  • Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
Irish,

Just read from post #1 to here, it's cool to get paid for this, and I agree - Autodesk can be hard on a Quit...

All this is Pure Quit Gold, many many points on your side of the net from the Quit Gods!

Thanks!
Dogonhunt 43

Offline Dogonhunt

• BANNED
  • Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
Quote from: Bojax
[big][big][big]600!!!![/big][/big][/big]

'Cheers' Congratulations on reaching the 6th floor, Irish!!! 'Sing and Drink'

'band' 'party2'

Congrats on 600 'irish' ❤❤
Chick  'Sing and Drink'  Irish
Sorry I didn't see this earlier, congrats on 6 floors of badassery Irish! 'clap'
Bump
Irish!

poof - down one (rookie!)