Author Topic: Today I quit. Tomorrow, I'll quit again. (A journey through one man's recovery)  (Read 57866 times)

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
Something worth watching, addict or not....

https://youtu.be/aMcjxSThD54
I have devoured everything I could find on/from Jordan Peterson over the past year.  He is so brilliant...and thoughtful people everywhere should watch his videos and read his books!

Lobsters rule!
You are one of my favorite quitters.  A lobster for sure!  Nothing gets you down!  If KTC is looking for a definition of support, they just need to look at your post history. 

Thank you Patty!
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline FLLipOut

• Master of Quit
  • Lady Arsonist
  • Quit Date: 07/22/16
  • Likes Given: 2555

I have devoured everything I could find on/from Jordan Peterson over the past year.  He is so brilliant...and thoughtful people everywhere should watch his videos and read his books!

Lobsters rule!
Just one and you will be back to where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are now.
"The best way out is always through." - Robert Frost
"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" - Samwise Gamgee
HOF: 10.29.16 | FL 2: 02.06.17 | FL 3: 05.17.17 | Y1: 07.22.17 | FL 4: 08.25.17 | FL 5: 12.03.17 | FL 6: 03.13.18 | FL 7: 06.21.18 | Y2: 07.22.18 | FL 8: 09.29.18 | FL 9: 01.07.19 | COMMA , : 04.17.19 | Y3: 07.22.19 | FL 11: 07.26.19 | FL 12: 11.03.19 | FL 13: 02.11.20 | FL 14: 05.21.20 | Y4: 07.22.20 | FL 15: 08.29.20  | FL 16: 12.07.20 | FL 17: 03.17.21 | FL 18: 06.25.21 | Y5: 07.22.21 | FL 19: 06.25.21 | FL 20 ,, : 01.11.22 | FL 21: 04.21.22 | Y6: 07.22.22 | FL 22: 07.30.22 | FL 23: 11.07.22 | FL 24: 02.15.23 | FL 25: 05.26.23 | Y7: 07.22.23 | FL 26: 09.03.23 | FL 27: 12.12.23 | FL 28: 03.21.24

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo

“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
Wildirish is free
No more a slave don’t you see
My friend walks with me
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
Another shameless bump.  If you are new here, start here.  That's a link.  Click it.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
I'm going to bump my own thread, out of pure selfishness.  I think there's a lot of experience here to draw upon, and I still come here to recall the suffering of the early days and my reaction to it.  I want to keep it near the top of the introductions.

I will say that conquering my addiction has taught me that I am capable of more than I ever imagined.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
I share stuff that I find on the internet on my Twitter and Facebook feeds from time to time.  This one is worth sharing everywhere.

Something to ponder.  Don't try to consume this in one sitting.  Oh, and it's not really about getting rich.  More about enriching your life.

https://nav.al/
It is a lot, like you said, not all at one sitting.  Rather enjoyed it so far as I've found a few gems in it already. If knowledge truly is power - that's really powerful stuff. The argument re: makers and takers struck a chord as did his lesson on status and those deceitfully maneuvering for it. We see a lot of it in today's political games - he just defines it well here. Thanks for rolling that out.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
I share stuff that I find on the internet on my Twitter and Facebook feeds from time to time.  This one is worth sharing everywhere.

Something to ponder.  Don't try to consume this in one sitting.  Oh, and it's not really about getting rich.  More about enriching your life.

https://nav.al/

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
THE PAST DOESN’T EXIST

Facts are less important than you think

What’s important is what happens next.  It is far less important what has already happened.

The past doesn’t exist.  It’s only in our minds.

So, what does exist?  Our imagination, let’s work with that.  Will it help if we imagine a better future for ourselves?

For those of you on day one, you are not a nicotine user.  You declared “I am quit”, and that is your present.  You imagine yourself waking up tomorrow and declaring “I am quit today!”  That is your future.  It doesn’t exist either, but unlike the past, it will.

When you get that craving for nicotine, your imagination kicks in.  Do you imagine your stress level rising to the point that you go crazy if you don’t use nicotine, or do you imagine yourself on the other side of the craving saying “I am still quit!”?  That’s the battle that’s waged in the present to shape your future.

You can’t shape the past because it doesn’t exist.  Focus your life on shaping your future because it will exist, and you can change the shape of the future by what you do in the present.

This works for everything in life.  Fortunately, you are in an intense battle for freedom that will teach you life lessons - if you pay attention. 

For more on this:  Positive Thinking

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
LESSONS FROM QUITTING

Quitting nicotine is difficult.  Some addiction experts state that nicotine is the most difficult addiction to arrest.  I'm not here to debate which addiction has the strongest grip on its addicts, I'm want to shine some light on the bonus benefits of breaking the nicotine addiction.

Bonus #1:  The System
It takes a system to break an addiction.  What is a system?  It's something you do EVERY DAY that ensures you are moving in the direction you want to go. 

The system to quit, to break the nicotine addiction, is to log onto an internet website every day, and make a promise to a bunch of people you've never met that you will not use nicotine today.

Systems work with other areas of your life as well.  Ever read "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"?  The habits are systems:  Be proactive.  Begin with the end in mind.  etc.  Start each day with "what is the most important issue I need to resolve today?"  That's proactive.  That's a system.

Bonus #2:  Affirmations
Affirmations are short phrases that you repeat often throughout the day.  Repeat them often enough, and they come true.  Our affirmation is "I am quit today."  We make this affirmation in the face of cravings.  This happens often during the first three days of our quit, and more frequently than we'd like during the next 97 days.  Cravings taper off after that, but it helps to maintain the affirmations at least a couple of times a day for the next year or two - until you get past PAWS.

Affirmations work for other areas of life too.  If you want to be more patient with other people, make the affirmation "I am calm and patient with people who need my help" ten or twelve times a day.  Write this down if it helps.  You will be amazed at how much more patient you are with people after a couple of weeks.  To be effective, affirmations must state the situation that you want as if you're already there.  "I am quit".

I'm done for today.  Check back later for more, or feel free to add to this list.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
Not sure what's happened to the intro section.  At least in my case, people seem to read, but not comment.  It's kind of sad.

I just made a bold statement that goals are for losers, and then made an argument for adopting systems instead of goals.  Yet, I used goals to support using systems to achieve these goals.

What goals did I list? 
  • Having your natural teeth at age 80.
  • Be healthy.
  • Freedom from nicotine.

Surely you guys are smart enough to challenge me when I do this.

Am I off limits because I've been free from nicotine for 3 years?  I still make a conscience decision to quit every day, just like you.

Feel free to push back.  This is life.  This is important.
I’ll bite... I’ve been around longer than you even ;)

Goals and systems exist for each other. Why have a system to follow when you have no goal? Goals by themselves are just a desired outcome and mean nothing. I can set goals all I want but, so what? It’s just talk. I can follow a system all damn day but without an end result being worked towards it’s just pointless busywork.

Goals really aren’t for losers... you need them to keep moving forward and growing and evolving... BUT... without a system in place to reach it you’re gonna lose and end up trying over and over and...

We hate that here.

Exactly!  I should pause here and credit my "Goals are for Losers" post to Scott Adams (author of Dilbert) in his latest book "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big", which is a good read, btw.

It kind of follows something that's been with me all of my life: every action you take moves you closer to, or farther from your goals.  The idea of using a defined system came from Scott.

I can look at my life and see the systems I've used to become a better version of myself.  I can't say that I consciously constructed these systems.  They are just habits I've adopted.

The trick with goals is to make them more general, as in "I want to be fit and trim" rather than "I want to lose 50 lbs by this time next year".  Then you can find a system to move you in the right direction, every day.

Sometimes you have to put a time limit on it, which is usually "now".  When you lose your job, for example, or want to quit nicotine.

I like some of the thoughts behind the system approach, but I think for it to work for me it would have to be more specific, so maybe that defeats the point of what you are saying....

Example: I want to be fit and trim, does not work for me. However, I want to be able to walk/run for 10 miles with 30lbs on my back in the mountains and be able to do that for 9 straight days of hunting/hiking by September 1st.
Well, that's definitely a goal.  The problem I see with this is, when you start your 9 days, what happens if you don't make 10 miles in a given day?  The only way to accomplish this goal is to accomplish it beforehand.  You have to hike 9 days with 30 lbs on your back before you ever start that journey.

I'm building a system here.  It's like training for a marathon.  Marathon runners don't actually (I think) run a marathon before the race, but there is a system for preparation.

I've given this a bit more thought since my original post, and I think it's more about "what are you doing today, and every day, to improve, to become a better version of yourself"?

Goals give us direction.  Even if we don't reach them, we're better people for having tried.

I would say my goal is similar to that of m a marathoner.  In order to accomplish my goal I have to put in a system of training.  I don’t live in the mountains so I have to build my leg strength and endurance at low altitudes.  I have to run, lift, hike hills with weight, run stairs etc...and success is not guaranteed the first time, you may need to attempt and then change your training system. 

You’re right most marathoners don’t run a full marathon before but they come very close, and they do it multiple times.

I love your last thought, “"what are you doing today, and every day, to improve, to become a better version of yourself"?” This is a great way to approach everyday!  Just make sure, if you’re a dad, that one of you’re goals/improvements is to become a better dad/husband everyday.
Everyone should have goals in life.  Why people fail at their goals are twofold.  They either made an unrealistic goal or didn’t put in the work to make their goal a reality.   An unrealistic goal would be me playing in the NBA.  I’m 45 years old, short and have no game.  Sure, I can work on my game but this goal of mine has no chance of reality.  Quitting nicotine today is a realistic goal.  All I have to do in not use nicotine, today.  Anybody can do it.  If your goal is realistic then I would ask…

What’s your commitment in making your goals a reality?

Commitment – First, you need a burning desire to reach your goal.  Then you need a system to follow.  You also need to be humble to change your system or ask for help if it is not working. 

Without a 100% commitment you will most likely fail.

Ah Walter, it's been a while! 

Goals need systems.  I think we can agree on that.  Otherwise, they're just dreams.  Of course, a system is something you do on a daily basis.  Otherwise, it's just a book sitting on a shelf.

(Edit:  It appears that I've lost my intro posts from August 2018 to March 2019.  The price of progress.  I'm sure they'll show up again if I ever run for POTUS.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:44:09 PM by wildirish317 »

Offline walterwhite

• Admin (Retired)
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Quit Date: 1.4.2016
  • Likes Given: 1112
Not sure what's happened to the intro section.  At least in my case, people seem to read, but not comment.  It's kind of sad.

I just made a bold statement that goals are for losers, and then made an argument for adopting systems instead of goals.  Yet, I used goals to support using systems to achieve these goals.

What goals did I list? 
  • Be healthy.
  • Freedom from nicotine.

Am I off limits because I've been free from nicotine for 3 years?  I still make a conscience decision to quit every day, just like you.

Goals and systems exist for each other. Why have a system to follow when you have no goal? Goals by themselves are just a desired outcome and mean nothing. I can set goals all I want but, so what? It’s just talk. I can follow a system all damn day but without an end result being worked towards it’s just pointless busywork.

Goals really aren’t for losers... you need them to keep moving forward and growing and evolving... BUT... without a system in place to reach it you’re gonna lose and end up trying over and over and...

We hate that here.

Exactly!  I should pause here and credit my "Goals are for Losers" post to Scott Adams (author of Dilbert) in his latest book "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big", which is a good read, btw.

It kind of follows something that's been with me all of my life: every action you take moves you closer to, or farther from your goals.  The idea of using a defined system came from Scott.

I can look at my life and see the systems I've used to become a better version of myself.  I can't say that I consciously constructed these systems.  They are just habits I've adopted.

The trick with goals is to make them more general, as in "I want to be fit and trim" rather than "I want to lose 50 lbs by this time next year".  Then you can find a system to move you in the right direction, every day.

Sometimes you have to put a time limit on it, which is usually "now".  When you lose your job, for example, or want to quit nicotine.

I like some of the thoughts behind the system approach, but I think for it to work for me it would have to be more specific, so maybe that defeats the point of what you are saying....

Example: I want to be fit and trim, does not work for me. However, I want to be able to walk/run for 10 miles with 30lbs on my back in the mountains and be able to do that for 9 straight days of hunting/hiking by September 1st.
Well, that's definitely a goal.  The problem I see with this is, when you start your 9 days, what happens if you don't make 10 miles in a given day?  The only way to accomplish this goal is to accomplish it beforehand.  You have to hike 9 days with 30 lbs on your back before you ever start that journey.

I'm building a system here.  It's like training for a marathon.  Marathon runners don't actually (I think) run a marathon before the race, but there is a system for preparation.

I've given this a bit more thought since my original post, and I think it's more about "what are you doing today, and every day, to improve, to become a better version of yourself"?

Goals give us direction.  Even if we don't reach them, we're better people for having tried.

I would say my goal is similar to that of m a marathoner.  In order to accomplish my goal I have to put in a system of training.  I don’t live in the mountains so I have to build my leg strength and endurance at low altitudes.  I have to run, lift, hike hills with weight, run stairs etc...and success is not guaranteed the first time, you may need to attempt and then change your training system. 

You’re right most marathoners don’t run a full marathon before but they come very close, and they do it multiple times.

I love your last thought, “"what are you doing today, and every day, to improve, to become a better version of yourself"?” This is a great way to approach everyday!  Just make sure, if you’re a dad, that one of you’re goals/improvements is to become a better dad/husband everyday.
Everyone should have goals in life.  Why people fail at their goals are twofold.  They either made an unrealistic goal or didn’t put in the work to make their goal a reality.   An unrealistic goal would be me playing in the NBA.  I’m 45 years old, short and have no game.  Sure, I can work on my game but this goal of mine has no chance of reality.  Quitting nicotine today is a realistic goal.  All I have to do in not use nicotine, today.  Anybody can do it.  If your goal is realistic then I would ask…

What’s your commitment in making your goals a reality?

Commitment – First, you need a burning desire to reach your goal.  Then you need a system to follow.  You also need to be humble to change your system or ask for help if it is not working. 

Without a 100% commitment you will most likely fail.
You will NEVER regret quitting. You will ALWAYS regret caving ~ NOLAQ

Everyday an addict reminds himself he is an addict is a day an addict earns another day of freedom. ~ Scowick65

To persevere is important for everybody. Don't give up, don't give in. There's always an answer to everything. ~ Louis Zamperini

Offline Gunnar

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/8/2019
  • Likes Given: 35

What goals did I list? 
  • Be healthy.
  • Freedom from nicotine.

We hate that here.

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo

What goals did I list? 
  • Be healthy.
  • Freedom from nicotine.

We hate that here.

Offline Gunnar

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2/8/2019
  • Likes Given: 35

What goals did I list? 
  • Be healthy.
  • Freedom from nicotine.

We hate that here.