Author Topic: 2nd attempt at quitting and day 3  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2028
Re: 2nd attempt at quitting and day 3
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 11:12:33 AM »
@Michiganman I merged both of your Intros together as each quitter is allowed one Introduction. Suggest you start and keep posting roll this time. We all failed on our own. Why not quit the KTC way? It actually works.
Jan19

Offline AppleJack

• Rockin’ in the free world...
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: April 17, 2013
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: New member but day 31 of quit
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Derek and I have been a nicotine addict for the last 8 years. Started in high school as a way to get a “head rush” with the guys while fishing and slowly turned into a all day every day item to make me feel “right”. I was tired of being completely controlled by the pouches in my lip and always worrying about running out of dip.

31 days ago I stopped cold turkey. First week was rough and I had my ups and downs but made it through the first month. I have to ask the members though about one symptom I cannot seem to shake. My chest feels “off” is the best way to put it. It feels heavy and I keep checking my pulse. My pulse feels MUCH slower and I checked the other day and was shocked to clock in at 60 bpm. This is very low for me as I always averaged at least mid 80s. This is the weirdest feeling ever and it’s driving me crazy.

Did anyone else suffer from this feeling in their chest and could it be caused from anxiety? I don’t feel anxious but this feeling is driving me nuts.

Thanks for reading in advance!

Hey @Michiganman

Looks like you had the same issue in June 2017 when you posted in Intros?  Perhaps if you posted roll then, you would be 5+ years quit right now.  But may be you were not quite ready then...maybe not quite scared enough?

First thing first: if you think you may have a cardiac issue, you need to talk to a doctor...like now!  I can't think of any nicotine related symptom that would make your heart rate go down but I'm certainly not a doctor.  I would not F around with something that is potentially that serious. 

That being said, nicotine use is bad for cardiac health...no doubt about that.  There are countless studies proving this.  Regardless of whether your low heart rate is related to your quit, if you're worried about your heart health you should quit using nicotine. 

Which brings me to my final point: POST ROLL!!  Based on the minimal information you've supplied here, you sound young and otherwise healthy.  Do not make the mistake most of us here made.  Do not put this off until you have little ones looking up to you and a family to provide for.  You will only become more dependent and prolong the misery of trying to stop.  Post roll in the July '20 group (https://ktcforum.org/index.php?topic=16409.0) and make your promise not to use every morning.  It may seem odd or uncomfortable but it seems to work for most.  If you are ready to quit, we can guide you down the path.  Up to you my friend.  Hope to support you in the July group very soon.

PTBQWYT my friend

~HAG

@Michiganman any reason you don’t mention our previous post/Intro from June 2017? You need to decide if you want to quit or just take a periodic stoppage. At KTC we quit, not take a break. Start posting roll if you want to quit.

Yes, I failed last time around but I never did post roll. If me rejoining the group after failing is a issue I can leave. If I get another try I will post roll to keep myself held accountable. Last time around I ended up making it roughly 6 months before I let boredom get the best of me traveling for work one afternoon.
It would be much worse for you if you had actually posted roll and then caved. My opinion... that’s a sin that shouldn’t be forgiven. You give your word here... you keep your word here.

But...

You did what many do... pop in for inspiration and proceed to try this alone. Typically... that’s a big epic fail. Doing it alone sucks. There’s no strength in it to battle this addiction. Power comes from the community here and the momentum of it is enough to pull you through on those bad days. IF... you really want to do this... you buy into the way we do it here. You join your quit group and you connect with those folk who are in the same head/physical space you are and you post your promise, every day, to be nicotine free. Keep your word that day... repeat the next. It’s that easy. Some days are DAMN hard but the process is that easy. How much is your word worth to you? How much is your health worth to you? Do this.

When you jump in... jump all in. Get involved and stay involved. Over and over it’s proven that the most successful Quits are those who work their quits. This site is littered with stories of the again active addicts who gave up posting roll and thought they could do it on their own. Nope. Too often a fail.

Do this.
It works.
Ask me how I know...

AJ... 2,565 days Quit and QLF.
Well, it’s one louder, isn’t it? It’s not ten.

Offline Michiganman

• Quit Date: 2017-06-05
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Derek and I have been a nicotine addict for the last 8 years. Started in high school as a way to get a “head rush” with the guys while fishing and slowly turned into a all day every day item to make me feel “right”. I was tired of being completely controlled by the pouches in my lip and always worrying about running out of dip.

31 days ago I stopped cold turkey. First week was rough and I had my ups and downs but made it through the first month. I have to ask the members though about one symptom I cannot seem to shake. My chest feels “off” is the best way to put it. It feels heavy and I keep checking my pulse. My pulse feels MUCH slower and I checked the other day and was shocked to clock in at 60 bpm. This is very low for me as I always averaged at least mid 80s. This is the weirdest feeling ever and it’s driving me crazy.

Did anyone else suffer from this feeling in their chest and could it be caused from anxiety? I don’t feel anxious but this feeling is driving me nuts.

Hey @Michiganman

Looks like you had the same issue in June 2017 when you posted in Intros?  Perhaps if you posted roll then, you would be 5+ years quit right now.  But may be you were not quite ready then...maybe not quite scared enough?

First thing first: if you think you may have a cardiac issue, you need to talk to a doctor...like now!  I can't think of any nicotine related symptom that would make your heart rate go down but I'm certainly not a doctor.  I would not F around with something that is potentially that serious. 

That being said, nicotine use is bad for cardiac health...no doubt about that.  There are countless studies proving this.  Regardless of whether your low heart rate is related to your quit, if you're worried about your heart health you should quit using nicotine. 

Which brings me to my final point: POST ROLL!!  Based on the minimal information you've supplied here, you sound young and otherwise healthy.  Do not make the mistake most of us here made.  Do not put this off until you have little ones looking up to you and a family to provide for.  You will only become more dependent and prolong the misery of trying to stop.  Post roll in the July '20 group (https://ktcforum.org/index.php?topic=16409.0) and make your promise not to use every morning.  It may seem odd or uncomfortable but it seems to work for most.  If you are ready to quit, we can guide you down the path.  Up to you my friend.  Hope to support you in the July group very soon.

PTBQWYT my friend

~HAG

@Michiganman any reason you don’t mention our previous post/Intro from June 2017? You need to decide if you want to quit or just take a periodic stoppage. At KTC we quit, not take a break. Start posting roll if you want to quit.

Yes, I failed last time around but I never did post roll. If me rejoining the group after failing is a issue I can leave. If I get another try I will post roll to keep myself held accountable. Last time around I ended up making it roughly 6 months before I let boredom get the best of me traveling for work one afternoon.

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2028
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 09:29:56 AM »
Hello everyone,

Hey @Michiganman

PTBQWYT my friend

~HAG

Jan19

Offline Zeus

• Quitman
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 03-08-2017
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
Hello everyone,

Welcome. Congrats on quitting for the last 31 days. What you're going through is completely normal. Nicotine causes your blood vessels to constrict, raising your blood pressure, and usually leading to an increased bpm. When you get off the nicotine, your body starts reverting back to more of a normal state. That's an ongoing process, but after a few months, you'll reach a new normal. Many quitters also describe feelings of general anxiety and sometimes debilitating anxiety attacks for a few months after they quit. Nicotine completely hijacks the brain, so we have to learn how to live all over again without having that crutch acting as a middleman. There are some imbalances that can take up to 3 years to work themselves out.

Just about everything you are describing is normal, but we always tell people to talk to a healthcare professional for real answers pertaining to your medical history and/or any underlying conditions.
June 2017 Quit Mafia

Offline EXBEARHAG

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 16 July, 2019
  • Likes Given: 825
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 09:01:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

Hey @Michiganman

PTBQWYT my friend

~HAG

Offline Michiganman

New member but day 31 of quit
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »
Hello everyone,

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
Third guy in a row from Michigan. Yep, we post roll. It'll open up the floodgates of support.

Offline net gain

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit King
  • Owning it ODAAT
  • Quit Date: April 20th 2017
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 01:14:00 PM »
You got mail from a fellow Michigander. Come on back and quit with us.
A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Quitters from Michigan post roll call bro, find your group and promise not to use for 24 hours.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline PhuctUp

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2017-05-28
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:12:00 PM »
Quote from: Michiganman
Hi everyone,

I have been chewing for the past 5 years and my mouth began to hurt all the time and I realized even with the gum pain I could not stop. I knew I was in a trap. First time I quit (before I knew of this group) was a year ago. I survived 3 months or 92 days of being tobacco free. That ended in a hurry one night when I had a few too many drinks and a old buddy through a can my way. One night is all it took and when I woke up in the morning I was feening again. I started chewing again and now I am ready for my second go at quitting and first time with this group.

First 3 days have been pretty miserable. Aside from just feeling "off" the fog has been terrible. My heart rate went down 20 beats per minute after I quit (yes, I checked the day before and 2 days after) and I just feel slow mentally and physically. I would say the worst side effect is my sleep cycle though. In the past I always slept hard and long. Past three nights I have been awake every other hour for no apparent reason. It is driving me insane! Anyways. I am dedicated this time around and want this to be over forever... hope everyone else's stories keeps me inspired and going strong.

Thank you!
And in a few days (or maybe tomorrow), you won't be able to shit either!! And then you'll get dip dreams and won't be able to remember your own mama's name and you'll open the pantry door and wonder where the hell the toilet is. You're just really kinda fucked for a while. But it'll get better.

I didn't look before I saw your post, but if you haven't already, go find September '17 under the "Quit Groups" tab and find the video on how to post roll. We usually post first thing in the morning as soon as we can get our hands on a computer, but if you haven't done it, start now. And if you screw up roll posting, it's just a right of passage. Somebody will fix it and you'll figure it out eventually. I'll send you my number on PM because I'm one of your September brothers (I'm on day 12.) Read EVERYTHING here in the next couple of days so you can get comfortable with everything and let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Michiganman

2nd attempt at quitting and day 3
« on: June 08, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been chewing for the past 5 years and my mouth began to hurt all the time and I realized even with the gum pain I could not stop. I knew I was in a trap. First time I quit (before I knew of this group) was a year ago. I survived 3 months or 92 days of being tobacco free. That ended in a hurry one night when I had a few too many drinks and a old buddy through a can my way. One night is all it took and when I woke up in the morning I was feening again. I started chewing again and now I am ready for my second go at quitting and first time with this group.

First 3 days have been pretty miserable. Aside from just feeling "off" the fog has been terrible. My heart rate went down 20 beats per minute after I quit (yes, I checked the day before and 2 days after) and I just feel slow mentally and physically. I would say the worst side effect is my sleep cycle though. In the past I always slept hard and long. Past three nights I have been awake every other hour for no apparent reason. It is driving me insane! Anyways. I am dedicated this time around and want this to be over forever... hope everyone else's stories keeps me inspired and going strong.

Thank you!