Author Topic: Big Irv Intro  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2277
Re: Big Irv Intro
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »
Welcome to the club Irv. Our stories sound similar. Shoot me a PM and lets exchange digits. I am proud to quit with you.

Keith   aka Keith0617

Hello Fellow Quitters:

Just a quick intro to kick off our new relationship.  I’ve been using smokeless tobacco in one form or another since around age 12.  I’ll turn 52 on 11/24, so that’s nearly 40 years of addiction. I can’t believe I just typed that...40 years!

I suppose I started much the same way most of us did. Growing up in the sticks, it seemed all the kids chewed...certainly all the kids I thought were cool chewed.  I still remember the taste of my first dip (Happy Days), the head spin and spitting it out just in the nick of time...before it actually made me throw up. I guess you have to be pretty determined to overcome such a wretched 1st experience and ever try it again.  That determination was rewarded with 40 years of addiction.  With your help, I want to use that same determination to never your tobacco again.

Most (if not all) of the friends who started with me quit along the way. Some in high school to avoid alienating those girls who would never date a guy who chewed, others in college as they got their lives together and the rest after marriage and kids (you know, something bigger than you to live for). But not me. No.  I stuck with it. Some years in the open, some years in hiding (depending on the circumstances). Despite the loving wife who is my best friend, two great kids, success as a corporate lawyer...chew has been my constant companion, my throwback to the simpler times of youth, the comfort against everything from boredom to anxiety, the stimulant to stay focused during 60 hour work weeks/nights.

However, despite this long relationship, I can’t remember the last time I actually enjoyed a chew.  For as long as I can remember now, chew has been a crutch and bandaid to stave off the jitters and fog of nicotine cravings. Just an addict feeding his habit.

About a year ago, I moved away from dip to snus, convincing myself after devouring all the literature that snus was as close to harmless as tobacco can be, plus it was inexpensive and discrete. If I couldn’t kick the habit, snus was the way to go. Even if I had to use it until it or something else ended my days on this earth.

However, recently I’ve been making a lot of changes in my life...for the better. Cutting back on work to spend more time with the family before my kids are both out of the house, going to therapy to work on my lifelong anxiety and a host of other things. Being addicted to tobacco was no longer acceptable, and certainly was not consistent with how I want to spend the rest of my life.

I have quit tobacco many times during my 40 years of addiction...even a few lengthy hiatuses.  But I always came back.  This time is different because I am prepared to do whatever it takes to never go back...including, most importantly, seeking the help and support of others.  That’s why I’m joining all of you here. I know I cannot do this alone...and I’m not ashamed or embarrassed to seek help and offer support I’m return.

According to my Quitter app, my last snus pouch was 10:11pm on 11/3 (over 8 days ago).  I truly appreciate all of you who are quitting with me and I look forwards to figuring out the site and being an active member of this community!
[/quote]
Jan19

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:20:06 PM »
Irv,
Great intro and thanks for reaching out via PM. I replied and sent my number as well. Do not hesitate to use those numbers. Reaching out to an internet stranger may seem strange, or scary, but i can assure you it is a far better option than shoving that dead plant back in your mouth again. One other point, in the past, you may have had several "stoppages" but they were not quits. There can be only one quit. Lets make this your last, and your only quit. Like Athan said above, I cannot quit for you, but I would be proud to quit with you daily. Send me a text tomorrow with that badass 9 and I will send you my badass 470
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1654
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
... I can’t believe I just typed that...40 years!..
You got that right.  It is absolutely mind blowing how far you can travel without conscious thought, a mindless slave to a willing addiction.  So very pleased you've woken up and taken the reins. You've come to the right place.  Wade into it; immerse yourself in the quit.  My magnificent wife opined how much 'head space' the quit took.  But it has to if you are to throw off the shackles of 40 years of use; not lightly do they fall.  8 days solo is righteous.  Wish I could tell you you're done with it but we're not here to blow smoke up your rear.  We're here to walk through the suck with you.  Collect some digits in your group and make some lifelines with guys wrestling through it with you.  Can't quit for you, I will quit with you.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1614
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:35:56 PM »
Hello Fellow Quitters:

Just a quick intro to kick off our new relationship.  I’ve been using smokeless tobacco in one form or another since around age 12.  I’ll turn 52 on 11/24, so that’s nearly 40 years of addiction. I can’t believe I just typed that...40 years!

I suppose I started much the same way most of us did. Growing up in the sticks, it seemed all the kids chewed...certainly all the kids I thought were cool chewed.  I still remember the taste of my first dip (Happy Days), the head spin and spitting it out just in the nick of time...before it actually made me throw up. I guess you have to be pretty determined to overcome such a wretched 1st experience and ever try it again.  That determination was rewarded with 40 years of addiction.  With your help, I want to use that same determination to never your tobacco again.

Most (if not all) of the friends who started with me quit along the way. Some in high school to avoid alienating those girls who would never date a guy who chewed, others in college as they got their lives together and the rest after marriage and kids (you know, something bigger than you to live for). But not me. No.  I stuck with it. Some years in the open, some years in hiding (depending on the circumstances). Despite the loving wife who is my best friend, two great kids, success as a corporate lawyer...chew has been my constant companion, my throwback to the simpler times of youth, the comfort against everything from boredom to anxiety, the stimulant to stay focused during 60 hour work weeks/nights.

However, despite this long relationship, I can’t remember the last time I actually enjoyed a chew.  For as long as I can remember now, chew has been a crutch and bandaid to stave off the jitters and fog of nicotine cravings. Just an addict feeding his habit.

About a year ago, I moved away from dip to snus, convincing myself after devouring all the literature that snus was as close to harmless as tobacco can be, plus it was inexpensive and discrete. If I couldn’t kick the habit, snus was the way to go. Even if I had to use it until it or something else ended my days on this earth.

However, recently I’ve been making a lot of changes in my life...for the better. Cutting back on work to spend more time with the family before my kids are both out of the house, going to therapy to work on my lifelong anxiety and a host of other things. Being addicted to tobacco was no longer acceptable, and certainly was not consistent with how I want to spend the rest of my life.

I have quit tobacco many times during my 40 years of addiction...even a few lengthy hiatuses.  But I always came back.  This time is different because I am prepared to do whatever it takes to never go back...including, most importantly, seeking the help and support of others.  That’s why I’m joining all of you here. I know I cannot do this alone...and I’m not ashamed or embarrassed to seek help and offer support I’m return.

According to my Quitter app, my last snus pouch was 10:11pm on 11/3 (over 8 days ago).  I truly appreciate all of you who are quitting with me and I look forwards to figuring out the site and being an active member of this community!

Welcome Irv,

You have made THE best decision of your life.  My name is Chris, I have been addicted to nicotine for over 31 years now.  I was up to 3 cans of Grizzly a day when I decided to quit. 

From your intro it sounds like this quit is for you.  That is really very important.  You have to want to quit in order for it to work.  The process is here is very simple.

1. Wake up

2. Piss

3. Post your promise not to use nicotine for the next 24 hours

4. Repeat

We do this everyday, One day at a time.  That is how we quit here.  We don't look to 1 year, 2 years 10 years down the road because we can not control what is coming.  We can control the here and now and we can certainly quit for one day.

Go in to your quit group and post your promise.  Here is a link: https://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?topic=697.1185

This group of Bad Ass quitters is going through the same things at the same time as you.  Exchange phone numbers with as many as you can.  Also exchange numbers with some of the veterans (mine will be in your inbox in few minutes). 

Once you get to your quit month go to the most recent Roll and follow the directions on how to post.  If you have any challenges you can ask anyone to help.
Do this every day, early in the day. 

Again Welcome.

Chris aka chris2alaska

If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline Big Irv

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Big Irv Intro
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:18:17 PM »
Hello Fellow Quitters: