Author Topic: Glad to be here  (Read 95639 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
Embrace the Suck
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:40 AM »
5/30/18
From ThegreatwhiteF250 HOF speech (got goosebumps reading it!):

"...We just have to embrace the mental hell that is withdrawal and choke it the fuck out, gouge out the eyes of that nic bitch and hope one day she can no longer see us."
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
digging ditches
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:04 AM »
22 May 2018
Today is one of those days where I wish I was a ditch digger. Just me and a shovel mindlessly making progress. The very man tasking me with digging my ditch not actively working against me with corporate protocols, procedures, checklists, etc etc. today I wish I was just a ditch digger.
Then again, They prolly don't have a dental plan.
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Goody's Victory
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
From Goody 5/20/18 on freedom:

We where booking in fisherman yesterday when I saw someone who has been fishing here for over 30 years. He had a mouth full of leaf in and saw I had a can of fake. He asked me if I quit and with shouldered back and head high I said your dam right I quit. He told me he could not quit the snuff but could quit the leaf when ever be wanted. I thought that used to be me. The words of an addict. He asked if it was hard to quit I said yes. But he new that. I told him of the KTC site. Didn't really want to hear it. I felt bad for him but God dam proud of myself. I will never be that person again. Just something interesting to pass on. It was nice to see the work was paying off in me brain to be around others chewing and it was OK. Now let's go fishing.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Sleep
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »
15 May 2018
Early in the quit, I had trouble falling asleep. Had quite a few sleepless nights even, you know where you never quite reach that state of sleep but toss and turn and get pissed off because you can't sleep which in turn impedes actually falling asleep and you turn into a zombie and contemplate eating brains. Was reading Kybo's intro recently about the evening chew with a good book; it's was something I indulged in ritually. I probably read two to three books a month (mostly history, religion, politics, and economics. I don't have time for fiction). The lady at the library knew my name. Haven't been there since I quit. I don't toss and turn to fall asleep anymore either. I'm out within 5 minutes of my head hitting the pillow. But I'm up a lot earlier now though. 0200 today. That's all she wrote, my eyes failed open. So I get up and post roll in all of my groups and head out to the gym (squats this morning w/Mack213 - we've exchanges work out tracks!). I'll prolly be tired at 7pm this evening and be sound asleep by 8pm tonight. I'm still getting a solid 6 hours of sleep a night, my clock has just shifted. Just wanted to share with guys who maybe struggling with sleep issues. I still do benedryl but am looking to wean off of that soon. I'm 135 days free today and loving it.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
What Nicotine Can't Do
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2018, 08:25:19 AM »
From Scooners, June 27, 2011:

What nicotine can't do:

It cannot cripple love; it cannot shatter hope; it cannot disolve faith; it cannot destroy peace; it cannot kill friendships; it cannot suppress memories; it cannot silence courage; it cannot invade the soul; it cannot steal eternal life; it cannot conquer the spirit - IF YOU ARE QUIT.

Good night quitters, see ya in the morning.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Quit tactics
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2018, 08:24:37 AM »
From BubbaM (a righteous brother, nay WARRIOR of quit):

...When this is happening I am functioning out of the butt of my brain or the brain stem. This is the brains fight or flight area or mode. In order to get out of this mode or area of the brain you need to access your relationships. That is by either talking to someone face to face, relating to someone on the phone, looking at pictures on your phone of family. If you do this then you will stop functioning out of the butt of the brain and you will move your thought process up to the top of the brain. Your relationship area.....

Now I have something useful to say to someone instead of, "...quit obsessing about it!"

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Watching a cave
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
11 May 2018
I grow frustrated watching the cave come. You can almost predict who will fall next. The posts get later and later, a day missed and the guy vanishes or reappears after a 5 day hiatus.
I love what Ready says about can't quit for you but it's still so damn hard to watch it happen in front of you.
I really have cultivated my hatred for the addiction and the addict behavior into a palpable thing. I look upon the guys that do it with disdain and disgust when I see it at work or in town. Can't believe I was one of their cadre for so long.
I honestly don't know how guys can pass through these halls and use again. blows me away....

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The New Normal
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2018, 08:35:58 AM »
08 May 18
From BlueManChew, posting 5/8/18 in August '18:

For as strange as we all are, we seem to conform to a norm. That norm is quit.

That norm is sleepless nights and dip dreams early on. That norm is anxiety and uncaused and intense anger, and slamming doors and breaking windows (me), and without any real provocation, chucking a griddle with half-cooked Sunday morning pancakes into the kitchen sink (me again.)

The norm is depression, worry, fog, and staring at a task for 30 minutes and not having lifted a finger. The norm is seeking just a moment of reprieve, and being painfully aware of the bitch who lurks just beyond the periphery.

The norm is feeling frustration after 30, 60, and a 100 days wondering why the fuck I still crave, or why is it still so goddamn hard? Or will it ever end?

The norm is the grind, e.d.d., a.d.d, and brotherhood.

The norm is peace of mind and health, of self-confidence, better sleep, calm, personal advancement, opportunity, and more productivity.

The norm now is winning.

Whether on day 1,000 or day 1, the norm is QUIT.

In QUIT, there are no strangers.

PTBQWY - BMC day 213

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The Truth
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2018, 08:35:18 AM »
06 May 18
Off to church this morning. I teach the adult Bible class. My routine is usually up at 0500 and start preparing for the lesson. I'm a morning person so it's always been a nice time for me, my coffee, the quiet, the solitude, alone with my thoughts, and a big fat chew while I went about preparing a bible lesson. I know right? Wallowing in sin a slave to the lusts of the flesh whilst preparing a study in the life of Christ about not doing just that very thing. Such is the dichotomy of addiction.
I was starkly aware of it this morning on day 126 of freedom as I went about my preparation without nicotine. It was there all along. I just see it now that the veil of addiction has dropped; John 8:32 "...Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free".
Blessings to you all with success in your quit!

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
An American Fighting Man
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
03 May 18
"I will never forget that I am an American fighting man, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America"

Part of the code of conduct for American military personnel. Learned it in boot camp a long long time ago. Don't know why but that one has always resonated with me (had to look up which one it was just now, it's article VI).

The part that resonates with the quitter is right there in the middle, "responsible for my actions". Once comprehended and embraced, It is an epiphany to an addict:

It means no excuses, I am responsible.
No one puts words in my mouth, I am responsible.
No one makes me chew, I am responsible.
No one makes me get drunk, I am responsible.

It really simplifies things, don't you think?

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The Numbers
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2018, 08:33:20 AM »
30 Apr 18
From Kybo (April '18)

I am a bit of a numbers nerd myself. It is kind of funny you brought this up because I was thinking about it last week and pulled a few numbers from the Members tab. I can't remember what day I did it, but I think it was Thursday or Friday last week. I pulled some easy stuff and didn't put a lot of work into it. But, here is what I pulled.

1) There are a little over 32,000 members that have registered at KTC.
2) About 3,200 of those registered members show zero activity.
3) On the day I pulled the numbers I found approximately 1000 unique members had been active over a 36 hour period.
4) Of those 1000 active members, approximately 650 had been a member for at least one year.
5) Of those 650 active members, 197 had been a member for at least 5 years.

I have no idea how accurate the info on the member tab might be. And I went through the stuff pretty quick. I know my numbers aren't 100% accurate, but they are close based on the info available on the member tab.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
TWO DOGS
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
29 Apr 18
Wisdom and eloquence in one laconic package (From SuperDave9000 intro 4/29/18):

"...there are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding? When I come on here and write this stuff and post roll and text these guys on here that have been texting with me, I am feeding the right dog..."

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Ain't nothing like FREEDOM
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2018, 08:30:38 AM »
28 Apr 18
So I'm at the Tractor Supply and the guy in front of me has to tilt his head back to speak to this cute little checkout girl so as to avoid dumping a mouthful of chew slobber all over her counter.

It is absolutely staggering to view the insanity of this addiction from the outside.

Ain't nothing like FREEDOM!

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Re: Glad to be here
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
Cbird, as quoted by September '18 HOF Conductors JMedic and Evillen:

Stopper: A stopper uses words like hope & try & want & can't. A stopper thinks he or she is a special butterfly. A stopper really does not understand or believe that they are an addict. A stopper feels sorry for themselves. A stopper thinks life is not fair. A stopper knows deep down inside that they will dip again even before they “attempt” to stop. A stopper is a slave.

Quitter: A quitter eliminates the option of dipping from their life. A quitters heart is filled with hate and disgust for nicotine and Big Tobacco; there is no room for self-pity. A quitter is willing to suffer through every second for the next 24 hours because he or she has too much integrity to break their word. A quitter knows that they are an addict and will do everything in their power to avoid ever putting that cancer-causing poison in their mouth again. A quitter is a free man or woman.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:17:33 AM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The Four Horsemen of my Quitocalypse
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
27 Apr 18
The four horsemen of my Quitacalypse:

Skolvikings
If actions speak louder than words,
in the annals of quit we shall see,
that you thundered from the mountains
and burst forth from the sea.
Those you helped were in the hundreds,
the mighty bitch was slain
We broke the chains she held us with
and the cans fell down like rain.
What a marvelous gift to give
to our quitting posterity
For those still held in bondage,
for victory’s theirs to see
And they’ll ask who went before them,
Who carved the path in stone
Behold there goes SkolVikings,
a greater quitter was never known!

Mack213
Do you know of my brother, Mack213?
In the halls of quit is where he is seen.
Of his exploits wondrous tales are told,
And he’ll strengthen your quit a thousand fold.
Oh his slain are a mighty throng,
providing poets with ballad and song
O’er the bitch will he cast a dark pall,
For my brother Mack is 10 feet tall!
He spins her legions off into chaos,
and lays waste to the can on a daily basis.
She flees before him, at the very sound of his voice,
as he informs all the addicts that they have a choice.
He takes them by the hand, he looks into their eyes,
“Come follow me brothers, just give it a try!”
I’ve gone before you, I’ve blazed the trail,
Don’t let her beguile you, for that ship has sailed.
And so here he toils, day after day,
Finding new quitters to show them the way.
You’ll need his wise counsel when you’re at wits end
And when you find him, you’ve found a friend!

JGromo
Every now and then a man comes along,
Who works in your life, who moves you to song.
It happened to me when I met JGromo
Ain’t talking bout love, (not like that you homo)
I was stumbling about like a fool in the dark,
I was lost and confused in the nic bitches park.
I wanted to have it, just one more tin,
Then I heard his voice, all calm in the din
I was thrashing about all anxious and scared
And so I cried out and my soul was bared:
James I’m in anguish, I’m drowning here man!
He just replied softly, Athan put down the can.
I need it I stammered, this stuff is my life,
Don’t be a fool he explained, It’s the source of your strife.
But I’ve got to have it, you don’t understand!
You’re an addict he said, and stretched out his hand.
I remember that day early on in my quit
When James came along, pulled me off of her tit
Then I stood on his shoulders and I scraped the sky,
And he let me taste freedom, now I can fly.

Chris2alaska
Have you heard of Chris2alaska, of the stories old men tell?
Then lend me your ear, for I tell it well.
He hails from up yonder, with the cold Eskimo
Where the snow’s miles deep and the Northern lights glow.
The wolf and the fox, the bear in her den
Won’t venture outside when he’s round the bend.
He’s eight feet tall and four hundred pounds,
and it’s said his wangdoodle still drags the ground.
A man among men, born a true warrior
but my brother Chris had a chink in his armor.
A harmless vice started so long ago
Was now thirty years of smokeless tobacco.
THREE cans of the weed for his daily consumption
But deep inside did burn his compunction
Chis was a slave, the nic bitches whore.
Of this I assure you, he wanted no more.
He confronted that bitch, he’d an axe to grind
Truth be told the man’s scary (he takes moose from behind!)
He fought his battle and emerged victorious,
One day at a time his story grew glorious.
He didn’t rest on his laurels, not one to sit idle
He got a wagon, and a moose with a bridle.
And he roamed the halls of this here KTC
Looking for quitters like just you and me
And lo he found me stumbling around
In a nic induced stupor like some silly ass clown
Oh the bitch had me, firm in her grasp
Cloaked in anxiety, lock and hasp
But Chris wouldn’t have it, no he climbed down
And grabbed this here addict and flung off her crown
He offered his hand and helped me stand up
I learned to taste freedom from the abstinence cup
So I tell his story, regale it with cheer
For had he not done so I wouldn’t be here

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer