Author Topic: Oldschool introduction  (Read 34222 times)

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 1619
Re: Oldschool introduction
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2019, 07:46:57 PM »
400 days nicotine free!

It has been strange these last 20 days.  Time has flown by.  Many days I would have to confirm my day count prior to posting roll.  I was still super focused on watching for triggers, managing craves, etc., but it was almost like I couldn't believe I felt this good with time moving this fast.  Being busy in all facets of life helps, but I am always busy.  Is this a new normal for me?  Can I handle the anxiety a little better than before?  Or have my symptoms subsided a bit?  Hard to tell and won't be too quick to pass judgement.  Never cured.

One thing I can say, is I am really enjoying the January 2020 Juggernauts quit group.  It is awesome to see them forming and becoming a group.  It definitely supercharges one's quit when you have the opportunity to help someone else - especially early on.  I remember how KTC was so foreign to me in the beginning, and hopefully i was able to make the transition easier for some of the folks - especially during hell week. 

400 feels great.  Freedom feels better.

Congrats @oldschool that is freakin awsome.  We appreciate you looking out for us and taking care of us in Jan 20!

Congrats my brother. Glad you are enjoying some peaceful freedom. PTQWY
Jan19

Offline jsjohnson

• CrusherOfSeeds
  • Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Hall Of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Date: 10/01/2019
  • Interests: Quiting, Motorcycles, Fishing, Cooking and BBQ
  • Likes Given: 300
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »
400 days nicotine free!

It has been strange these last 20 days.  Time has flown by.  Many days I would have to confirm my day count prior to posting roll.  I was still super focused on watching for triggers, managing craves, etc., but it was almost like I couldn't believe I felt this good with time moving this fast.  Being busy in all facets of life helps, but I am always busy.  Is this a new normal for me?  Can I handle the anxiety a little better than before?  Or have my symptoms subsided a bit?  Hard to tell and won't be too quick to pass judgement.  Never cured.

One thing I can say, is I am really enjoying the January 2020 Juggernauts quit group.  It is awesome to see them forming and becoming a group.  It definitely supercharges one's quit when you have the opportunity to help someone else - especially early on.  I remember how KTC was so foreign to me in the beginning, and hopefully i was able to make the transition easier for some of the folks - especially during hell week. 

Congrats @oldschool that is freakin awsome.  We appreciate you looking out for us and taking care of us in Jan 20!
Wildirish intro https://ktcforum.org/index.php?topic=805.msg125916#msg125916

"So if any of you still have friends dippin tell them this if you dont have what it takes to quit nicotine you are gonna be TOO big of a pussy for chemo."  -Todd Garcia (Traumagnet)

My HOF Speech

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Quit Date: 10/08/2018
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
400 days nicotine free!

The only time you fail, is if you don't try

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
380 days nicotine free!

Life has been pretty good.  Especially as far as quit withdrawal symptoms go.  My anxiety has been in check.  No major craves (except for today when I got a crave at the stoplight right before work).  Positive upbeat mood.  Yeah, life is pretty good right now.

I cleaned the garage this weekend.  Believe it or not, I actually wanted to.  It was a mess and needed to be organized.  As i was moving things, putting things away, etc. I stumbled upon a poker chip.  At one time I had a lot of these chips, given to me for free, when i bought a can of grizzly wintergreen dip.  I thought I threw them all away, but here a year later found another remnant of my addicted self.  I stared at that chip for a moment, then walked to the garbage can and threw it away.

Freedom!

Congrats man.
Jan19

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 10:32:25 AM »
380 days nicotine free!

Life has been pretty good.  Especially as far as quit withdrawal symptoms go.  My anxiety has been in check.  No major craves (except for today when I got a crave at the stoplight right before work).  Positive upbeat mood.  Yeah, life is pretty good right now.

I cleaned the garage this weekend.  Believe it or not, I actually wanted to.  It was a mess and needed to be organized.  As i was moving things, putting things away, etc. I stumbled upon a poker chip.  At one time I had a lot of these chips, given to me for free, when i bought a can of grizzly wintergreen dip.  I thought I threw them all away, but here a year later found another remnant of my addicted self.  I stared at that chip for a moment, then walked to the garbage can and threw it away.

Freedom!

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
365 day nicotine free!
Freedom. 

Freedom indeed!  A year of reflection helps to truly appreciate the journey of total nicotine domination.  You’re an inspiration Rich and proud to quit with you brotha!

Aumegrad 442 and dominating nicotine ODAAT!
Thanks again for all your help and support Johnathon!  I only wish I could write as eloquently as you.... my quit blog would probably be readable ;D

Offline Aumegrad

• Quitter
    • INTRO
  • Quit Date: 7/23/18
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 09:09:22 PM »
365 day nicotine free!
Freedom. 

Freedom indeed!  A year of reflection helps to truly appreciate the journey of total nicotine domination.  You’re an inspiration Rich and proud to quit with you brotha!

Aumegrad 442 and dominating nicotine ODAAT!
Who is Aumegrad ???? ...

What were his thoughts at 100 days ???? ... [url=http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?topic=722.0]HoF

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. (1 Corinthians 9:24)

Offline MN_Engineer

• QLAMF ODAAT
  • Administrator
  • Master of Quit
  • Aug '16 Trauma-Tizers
  • Quit Date: 04-25-2016
  • Interests: All things Mopar, Rick and Morty fan, MN Twins for life!
  • Likes Given: 4332
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »
365 day nicotine free!

It was a year ago I sat at my desk on a Monday morning trying to figure out how I was going to get through the day without nicotine.  I didn’t have my 5:30 am dip with my coffee so yes, no poop for me that morning.  I didn’t have the dip that I would put in at the last stop light right before my work.  And, I didn’t have the dip that I would put in right after the production meeting.  How would I stay quit this time?

Work was horrible.  Nothing was going right and this had to be the make it or break it year.  My personal life was hit or miss.  I turned Fifty over the summer and I was having a mid-life crisis.  How would I survive all of this without nicotine?  So much to do.  So much to get through.  How would I be able to cope?

Quite frankly, I didn’t know how or why I survived day one.  All I knew was that I was tired of nicotine controlling my life.  At that point I was so foggy and full of anxiety, that I didn’t know what I was doing or thinking.  I just made a promise to myself that I was done… no more.

That first week was brutal.  Day 5 of my quit felt almost as bad as day 1.  How would I be able to keep this up?  I started doubting if I could really quit using nicotine.  Why would the agony, fog, and anxiety not go away??  What do I have to do to make it all go away so I could feel normal?

Well, I joined KTC on day 5.  I made a promise to myself.  I made a promise to strangers that I would not use nicotine today.  Today, 365 days later, I made a promise to myself, friends, and quitters I have not met yet that I will not use nicotine today.

Freedom.  Proud to quit with everyone today.
Congrats on your first trip around the sun @oldschool !! It's amazing how focusing one day at a time adds up. Keep up the solid quit and proud to be quit with you today!
Quit: 04.25.16 | HOF: 08.02.16 | 2nd FL: 11.10.16 | 3rd FL: 02.18.17 | 4th FL: 05.29.17 | 5th FL: 09.06.17 | 6th FL: 12.15.17 | 7th FL: 03.25.18 |
8th FL: 07.03.18 | 9th FL: 10.11.18 | Comma: 01.19.19 | 11th FL: 04.29.19 | 12th FL: 08.07.19 | 13th FL: 11.15.19 | 14th FL: 02.23.20 |
15th FL: 06.02.20 | 16th FL: 09.10.20 | 17th FL: 12.19.20 | 18th FL: 03.29.21 | 19th FL: 07.07.21 | Comma 2x: 10.15.21 | 21st FL: 01.23.22 |
22nd FL: 05.03.22 | 23rd FL: 08.11.22 | 24th FL: 11.19.22 | 25th FL: 02.27.23 | 26th FL: 06.07.23 | 27th FL: 09.15.23 | 28th FL: 12.24.23 |

"From Skoal to Skol!" My HOF Speech HERE!
"There is no victory without a battle."
"Cave = losing an argument to a dead plant in a plastic can. You are smarter than a dead plant." - Candoit
"The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it." - Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Feel like throwing in the towel? Sign the "Contract to Give Up" HERE
Phat Pauly - Part 1 || Phat Pauly - Part 2 || DeanTheCoot - Pencil Poop

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
365 day nicotine free!

It was a year ago I sat at my desk on a Monday morning trying to figure out how I was going to get through the day without nicotine.  I didn’t have my 5:30 am dip with my coffee so yes, no poop for me that morning.  I didn’t have the dip that I would put in at the last stop light right before my work.  And, I didn’t have the dip that I would put in right after the production meeting.  How would I stay quit this time?

Work was horrible.  Nothing was going right and this had to be the make it or break it year.  My personal life was hit or miss.  I turned Fifty over the summer and I was having a mid-life crisis.  How would I survive all of this without nicotine?  So much to do.  So much to get through.  How would I be able to cope?

Quite frankly, I didn’t know how or why I survived day one.  All I knew was that I was tired of nicotine controlling my life.  At that point I was so foggy and full of anxiety, that I didn’t know what I was doing or thinking.  I just made a promise to myself that I was done… no more.

That first week was brutal.  Day 5 of my quit felt almost as bad as day 1.  How would I be able to keep this up?  I started doubting if I could really quit using nicotine.  Why would the agony, fog, and anxiety not go away??  What do I have to do to make it all go away so I could feel normal?

Well, I joined KTC on day 5.  I made a promise to myself.  I made a promise to strangers that I would not use nicotine today.  Today, 365 days later, I made a promise to myself, friends, and quitters I have not met yet that I will not use nicotine today.

Freedom.  Proud to quit with everyone today.

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
344 days nicotine free!

I am jealous.  I am real fucking jealous.  How does a person who has been hooked on poison otherwise known as nicotine become so nonchalant and they feel so good and are so confident that they will never use again.  Just last week I had dreams multiple days in a row that I was smoking cigarettes.  During the daytime I had urges to draw in that carcinogen laced death.  Mind you, I haven't smoked in 20 years, but this week I thought of it almost regularly.  My back story (some of you know this already so I apologize if I am boring) was I started smoking around the age of 15.  Pack of Reds a day for I don't remember how long.  Then one night I threw a pack away and quit cold turkey.  Quit so hard that it lasted 5 years until one day on a golf course I asked a "friend" for a dip.  15 years later I am posting on this site.

So you see; I am not really jealous of all the people who say they don't have withdrawal symptoms after their first 30 days.  I have been foggy and had panic attacks quite regularly lately.  It is always there.  Nicotine is always there.  And, you know what?  It will always be there.  Just waiting.  I am cool with having anxiety.  I am cool with getting craves so hard I can taste it.  Go ahead, remind me why I quit.  Remind me everyday if you must.

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 09:36:40 AM »
321 days nicotine free!

As I wrote in my last post, day 300 started with a severe case of anxiety.  That lasted for 10 straight days, then it left as quickly as it came.  My wife and three kids have anxiety from time to time -especially with big events/large groups.  For my adult life I didn't have that issue until I quit dip.  My wife can tell now when I am not feeling good, and she helps me, does not push me.  I am a lucky man.

Had a very big win since the last post:  I went golfing!  First time since I quit.  It was a big Customer event that entailed food, drink, and boxes of cigars.  They always have cigars and Salesmen eagerly with smiles on their face push and try to give these death sticks to everyone and anyone.  One of my Customers smoked cigarettes and basically was lipping a cigar for the whole round of golf.   I had my HOF coin in my pocket and phone numbers of friends who I knew would support me if I needed it.  I got through the day, handled the initial craves, and ultimately had a great time!

After the festivities everyone was hanging out at the local bar.  My friend was there - he was the person who inspired me to quit.  He was a ninja dipper like me.  He quit with Chantix but no other support structure.  I wrote about him earlier; he caved smoking a cigar at a Customer event earlier in the year.  At the bar, he came up to me and showed me a can of dip.  I told him I was still quit, and he should throw that can away and join KTC.  He turned around and left....  Fuck nicotine.

Thanks to all who supported me and got me through some tough times.  Hopefully I have done the same and strengthened your quits.  PTQWYT!

Great wins Rich. I hope you know two things:

1. you are not alone with the stress/anxiety/etc that you face at times. I have talked to several quitters that face the same challenges and I also face them at times.
      2. Regardless of day count, you are never facing this issues or any other issues alone. I, as well as a list of other supporters, will always be there to have your back and support you. The cool thing is I also know you would be there for me.

I am proud to quit with you one day at a time.

Jan19

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
321 days nicotine free!

As I wrote in my last post, day 300 started with a severe case of anxiety.  That lasted for 10 straight days, then it left as quickly as it came.  My wife and three kids have anxiety from time to time -especially with big events/large groups.  For my adult life I didn't have that issue until I quit dip.  My wife can tell now when I am not feeling good, and she helps me, does not push me.  I am a lucky man.

Had a very big win since the last post:  I went golfing!  First time since I quit.  It was a big Customer event that entailed food, drink, and boxes of cigars.  They always have cigars and Salesmen eagerly with smiles on their face push and try to give these death sticks to everyone and anyone.  One of my Customers smoked cigarettes and basically was lipping a cigar for the whole round of golf.   I had my HOF coin in my pocket and phone numbers of friends who I knew would support me if I needed it.  I got through the day, handled the initial craves, and ultimately had a great time!

After the festivities everyone was hanging out at the local bar.  My friend was there - he was the person who inspired me to quit.  He was a ninja dipper like me.  He quit with Chantix but no other support structure.  I wrote about him earlier; he caved smoking a cigar at a Customer event earlier in the year.  At the bar, he came up to me and showed me a can of dip.  I told him I was still quit, and he should throw that can away and join KTC.  He turned around and left....  Fuck nicotine.

Thanks to all who supported me and got me through some tough times.  Hopefully I have done the same and strengthened your quits.  PTQWYT!

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »
You might be interested in this.
thanks wildirish!  I have read most of your posts regarding PAWS.  The information has really helped me get through some serious bad times.  I appreciate all you do on KTC!

Offline wildirish317

• Free
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Past the cravings Past the drama Still an addict
  • Quit Date: 2/25/2016
  • Interests: I am the most boring person you will ever meet.
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 10:12:29 PM »
You might be interested in this.
“Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else, everything". - Danny Trejo

Offline oldschool

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 09:55:49 PM »
300 days nicotine free!

I woke up today with a severe case of anxiety  My nerves were piano wire tight.  Today was the day my youngest daughter was going to get her drivers license.  It was basically a done deal:  In our state the kids have to go to a driving school and the instructor is the one to do the final driving test.  So this was just a formality, sit and wait, take a picture, and your out.  My daughter pulled 113 and the current number was 85.  Great, about an hour weight.  We had been sitting awhile when this lady sat right next to me and, ugh, did she smell.  Finally, our number was called and we were done.  My anxiety went from bad to worse during that hour and all I wanted to do was go home.

My wife and I were supposed to go to a birthday party in the afternoon, but I was not up to it.  The brain rewiring itself has no day count, has no never mind for parties, it heals when it wants to.  Sometimes, when I do too much, I get like this.  I have been working on trying to relax.  I have been working on just dealing with the moment,  So today, even though it sucked, was a win for me.

Instead of the party, I worked downstairs in my basement shop.  I have restored 2 old lathes, and I finally found an original motor for the 12x36 lathe.  I took the old motor off and put it on the other lathe, and I built a new stand for the smaller lathe,  I was down there for 5 hours, yet it didn't feel like it  After finishing those projects, I started planning how I was going to build a stand for my milling machine. 

Then, my wife visited with me and asked if I could take her out to dinner.  We went to a newer place that is always crowded.  It was our first time there, and it was a cool place buzzing with people.  Soon as we sat at the bar my anxiety kicked in.  Wow, what a day!  It has been quite a while since it has been this bad.  I didn't let my nerves bother me too much during dinner, but I was relieved to leave and go home.  During the car ride home, I talked my wife into going on a bike ride with me.  The long ride really helped calm my nerves.  The fresh air combined with exercise does help.

Well, rough start on the 3rd floor.  Maybe I don't like heights  :)  One thing I do know is quit one day at a time