Author Topic: General Discussion - 2020  (Read 78292 times)

Offline NukeEngineer

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 8/25/2020
  • Interests: Wrestling, Hiking, Notre Dame Football, Learning About Anything New
  • Likes Given: 85
Re: General Discussion - 2020
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2020, 03:31:06 AM »
Rant/Nuke Sharing Time. Day 32.

Yep. I 100% need to start looking for a new job. I’ve done the swapping between nights and days for almost a year and a half now, and it’s continuously getting harder.

I’m not even craving a chew right now, I’m just miserable. I can’t spend all of my waking hours on my days off in front of a screen, alone. Nicotine gave me the fake dopamine rush to make me think I was fine on these nights off, but since quitting, I’ve realized just how much I hate it. This is exactly why I caved on my own a few months ago. Every cave I’ve had in the past has been due to issues coping with lack of social life. (I’m a rare breed of extroverted engineer) I’ve got a new mindset now and know that the chew was a crutch that masked the problem while it festered, so no need to worry about a cave now. But now that the problem is unmasked, I need to find a way to deal with it.

I know what I need, but I definitely feel stuck. All of the bars are shut down, so I can’t go out and socialize, my 24 hour gym cut their hours to 7am-9pm for Covid, so I can’t lift, my friend and his girlfriend whom I’m renting from have their room directly beneath mine, so I have to tiptoe to even move around.  I feel like a damn princess locked in a tower.  I’d go for a night time drive to unwind, but finances are too tight to waste gas and it’s a major trigger for me since I used to take breaks during my homework all-nighters and drive around with a dip in.

I am so fucking ready to have a place to call home. This is the 4th place I’ve lived in the last 3 years. I feel like a nomad. The girlfriend and I are planning on getting engaged next month, so that will be nice. She lives and works 2 hours away, so we have been trying to figure out that situation. There are no jobs for me in her area and none for her in mine. Ultimately we are looking for something for both of us out in Knoxville, TN area. 10 hours from my home town, so it’ll be a shift, but the area is gorgeous and is a compromise for us.(I’m from Missouri btw) She’s a St. Louis city girl and I’m small town country, so she wants to live in a city, and I want land. Knoxville is medium sized and you can get a decent amount of land fairly close to town for a reasonable price.
In the mean time, we’re debating an apartment roughly half way between us so we can see each other more than twice a month and so we can feel settled a bit. My current situation definitely lends itself to me feeling like a guest in someone else’s home.

I know I’m pretty much the young buck around here and many of you have had to work shift work and some might have been the poor unsettled guy renting out his buddies place in his 20s at one point.

I know my rant isn’t exactly nicotine related, but do any of my fellow quit brothers have any words of wisdom for me?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Did I Say Some Nerdy Science Related Thing? Ask About It Here

"You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals.
To that end, each of us must work for his own improvement and, at the same time,
share a general responsibility for all humanity,
our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful."

-Marie Curie

Offline chris2alaska

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • I Love the Smell of Quit in the Morning
  • Quit Date: January 18, 2018 - Proud Member of the April 2018 Kings and Queen of Quit
  • Interests: Hunting, Fishing, Four-Wheeling, NASCAR, Golf
  • Likes Given: 1612
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »
So, with my current job, I work nights for 2 weeks out of every 5.(1830-0700)  I have gotten to the 2-3 week mark in my quit 3 other times in the last year.  Each one was snuffed out by the dreaded night shift cravings.  I can't dip at work, and stay busy, but the days off on my night shifts are the absolute biggest trigger for me.  I originally started dipping as a way to cope with having to sit at a desk and study for hours on end, so that is my trigger.  On day shift, I can get up and go for a walk, go home and see my family, or whatever to get away from my desk.  Night shift. Not so much. I have a roommate that works a normal schedule, and the city has a curfew, so I need some other ideas for coping at 4 am when I've been locked in a room for 8 hours.

Trying to get 10 ideas:

1.Anything physical: push-ups,  sit ups, etc (just to add to Franx, here's a great website for exercise ideas.
2. Pray or meditate. If you're at the 2-3 week mark, it's a mind game at this point. Focus your mind.
3. break it down to small chunks of time with a reward. I used 1 gummy bear for every 30 minutes. Eventually the urge left.
4. Hold your breath for 15 minutes or until you can't hold it anymore.
5. Log in to KTC and read about Tom and Jenny Kerns or any number of other inspirational reads here...oh and...if all else fails, open your desk drawer, insert nuts, slam drawer closed...it always works.
If you want my digits, just ask and they will be yours, but I expect yours in return.

Accountability is a statement of personal promise, both to yourself and to the people around you, to deliver specific defined results.
Brian Dive

Do not be complacent about your achievements and not to strive for continual improvement when you get to the top. As soon as you let success go to your head, you sink into following familiar patterns and play it safe. In other words, you risk losing your edge.
Roy T. Bennett

You need anything, ask.  You feel strong, help.  This quit is for you but we got your back.
wastepanel

Do not let the actions of others determine the direction of YOUR quit.
chris2alaska

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people who ask questions.
Klark

My Intro

My HOF Speech

My Comma Club Speech

HOF - 04/27/2018;   2nd FLOOR - 08/05/2018;   3rd FLOOR - 11/13/2018;   1 YEAR - 01/18/2019;   4th Floor - 02/21/2019;   5th Floor - 06/01/2019;   6th Floor - 09/09/2019;   7th Floor - 12/18/2019;   2 YEARS - 01/18/2020;    8th Floor - 03/27/2020;   9th Floor - 07/05/2020;    Comma Club - 10/13/2020;   3 Years - 01/18/2021;    11th Floor - 01/21/2021;   12th Floor - 05/01/2021;    13th Floor - 08/09/2021;    14th Floor - 11/17/2021;    4 Years - 01/18/2022;    15th Floor - 02/25/2022;     16th Floor - 06/05/2022;    17th Floor - 09/13/2022;     18th Floor - 12/22/2022;     5 Years - 01/18/2023;    19th Floor - 04/01/2023;     2K Double Dangle - 07/10/2023;     21st Floor - 10/18/2023;      6 Years - 01/18/2024;     22nd Floor - 01/26/2024

Offline WishedIQuitSooner

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2020, 06:51:17 PM »
So, with my current job, I work nights for 2 weeks out of every 5.(1830-0700)  I have gotten to the 2-3 week mark in my quit 3 other times in the last year.  Each one was snuffed out by the dreaded night shift cravings.  I can't dip at work, and stay busy, but the days off on my night shifts are the absolute biggest trigger for me.  I originally started dipping as a way to cope with having to sit at a desk and study for hours on end, so that is my trigger.  On day shift, I can get up and go for a walk, go home and see my family, or whatever to get away from my desk.  Night shift. Not so much. I have a roommate that works a normal schedule, and the city has a curfew, so I need some other ideas for coping at 4 am when I've been locked in a room for 8 hours.

Trying to get 10 ideas:

1.Anything physical: push-ups,  sit ups, etc (just to add to Franx, here's a great website for exercise ideas.
2. Pray or meditate. If you're at the 2-3 week mark, it's a mind game at this point. Focus your mind.
3. break it down to small chunks of time with a reward. I used 1 gummy bear for every 30 minutes. Eventually the urge left.
4. Hold your breath for 15 minutes or until you can't hold it anymore.

Offline WishedIQuitSooner

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
Anxiety is through the roof, I had anxiety previously and was on Lexapro 20mg now been increased to 30mg for 5 days. I quit because I had a pulmonary embolism 5 weeks ago, lucky I survived which is anxiety inducing as well. Any tips would be appreciated.

Offline Scott929

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/28/19
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2020, 05:06:28 PM »

Trying to get 10 ideas:

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
  • Quit Date: 02/28/2020
  • Interests: Georgia Southern football and baseball, outdoor stuff, movies, music
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #212 on: September 12, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »

Trying to get 10 ideas:

Renegade of Quit
"For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die." - Ulysses, Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2020, 09:13:27 AM »

Trying to get 10 ideas:

1.Anything physical: push-ups,  sit ups, etc
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline NukeEngineer

• Quitter
  • Interests: Wrestling, Hiking, Notre Dame Football, Learning About Anything New
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2020, 01:09:12 PM »

Trying to get 10 ideas:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

To that end, each of us must work for his own improvement and, at the same time,

-Marie Curie

Offline NukeEngineer

• Quitter
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
First off Happy Birthday Freddi and belated one Nuke.
Today (5) has been...well, "Meh" describes it perfectly. Work was busy this morning and only had a couple of urges. This afternoon has been slow, so I've been bothered alot. As for what I've learned today, it's this. Learn to recognize the urges or nic-fits early. If you ignore them and allow them to go, you'll struggle harder. I've discovered that at least for myself, if I catch them when they are coming on, I can go for a walk , or step outside and breathe some aire, whatever, but it takes much less effort than if I ignore it and struggle with the craving. Letting the craving grow, it becomes more powerful, lasts longer and seems harder to "shut down". I'd be curious to see if anyone else has this experience?
I actually had my first craving in several days, yesterday. I was at my desk (which is a trigger) on my day off, it was hot and stuffy inside and gloomy outside. I started to get a slight craving and got some water and some gum, and then the headache came. I finally decided to go outside and take a nice long walk. Completely refreshed me.
Came home and opened the windows to get some sunlight and air and was good to go.

So anyway, you are absolutely right. Take care of the craving early if you can and holy cow fresh air and just a simple walk to clear your head does wonders.

Thanks for the birthday wish btw.

-Marie Curie

Offline HR Guy

• Likes Given: 3
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2020, 03:22:11 PM »
First off Happy Birthday Freddi and belated one Nuke.
Today (5) has been...well, "Meh" describes it perfectly. Work was busy this morning and only had a couple of urges. This afternoon has been slow, so I've been bothered alot. As for what I've learned today, it's this. Learn to recognize the urges or nic-fits early. If you ignore them and allow them to go, you'll struggle harder. I've discovered that at least for myself, if I catch them when they are coming on, I can go for a walk , or step outside and breathe some aire, whatever, but it takes much less effort than if I ignore it and struggle with the craving. Letting the craving grow, it becomes more powerful, lasts longer and seems harder to "shut down". I'd be curious to see if anyone else has this experience?

Offline chewie

• Administrator
  • Master of Quit
    • 406Northlane
  • Quit Date: 7.24.2006
  • Interests: quitting, family, digital marketing, beer, whiskey, horror movies... Fucks Given: 0
  • Likes Given: 350
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2020, 09:15:32 AM »
Today was a little better. Had a few bouts but nothing terrible. Funny thing about the cinnamon gum. I had just read that it seems to mimic the sensation of nicotine the most and works. Maybe the burn of cinnamon is close to the tingle of nicotine? Idk but it was a lifesaver.
Definitely out of the fog now and know I can do this. Just hoping I’ll remember that later. But as we say, I just need to quit today. I’m not going to worry about tomorrow. Anyway, I’m kind of liking this daily journal I’m doing in here. It’s helping me address and organize all the emotions and feelings. Hopefully it will help me be prepared. And, who knows, maybe it will help someone else down the road. I also love the support and feedback from it. I’ll keep doing it until someone makes me stop. See y’all at roll call tomorrow, gents.

Tremendous... way to go!

Feel free to post away... that's why we're here. If you're interested, you can also get access to post on our quitter blog here: https://www.quit4today.com/

Let me know if that's something you'd like or if you'd just prefer to keep posting here.
"Every man dies... not every man really lives." - William Wallace

QD - 7.24.06 / HOF - 10.31.06 / 2nd - 2.08.07 / 3rd - 5.19.07 / 4th - 8.27.07 / 5th - 12.05.07 / 6th - 3.14.08 / 7th - 6.22.08 / 8th - 9.30.08 / 9th - 1.08.09 / Comma - 4.18.09 / 11th - 7.27.09 / 12th - 11.04.09 / 13th - 2.12.10 / 14th - 05.23.10 / 15th - 08.31.2010 / 16th - 12.9.10 / 17th - 3.19.11 / 18th - 6.27.11 / 19th - 10.5.11 / 2K - 1.13.12 / 21st - 4.22.12 / 22nd - 7.31.12 / 23rd - 11.8.12 / 24th - 2.16.13 / 25th - 5.27.13 / 26th - 9.4.13 / 27th - 12.12.13 / 28th - 3.24.14 / 29th - 7.1.14 / 3K - 10.9.14 / 31st - 1.17.15 / 32nd - 4.27.15 / 33rd - 8.5.15 / 34th - 9.13.15 / 35th - 2.21.16 / 36th - 5.31.16 / 37th - 9.8.16 / 38th - 12.17.16 / 39th - 3.27.17 / 4K - 7.5.17 / 41st - 10.13.17 / 42nd - 1.21.18 / 43rd - 5.1.18 / 44th - 8.9.18 / 45th - 11.17.18 / 46th - 2.25.19 / 47th - 6.5.19 / 48th - 9.13.19 / 49th - 12.22.19 / 5K - 4.1.20 / 51st - 7.9.20 / 52nd - 10.17.20 / 53rd - 1.25.21 / 54th - 5.5.21 / 55th - 8.13.21 / 56th - 11.21.21 / 57th - 3.1.22 / 58th - 6.9.22 / 59th - 9.17.22 / 6K - 12.26.22 / 61st - 4.5.23 / 62nd - 7.14.23 / 63rd - 10.22.23 / 64th - 1.20.24

Episode III: The Final Quit | 406 Northlane | ScareTissue.com

Offline HR Guy

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
Today was a little better. Had a few bouts but nothing terrible. Funny thing about the cinnamon gum. I had just read that it seems to mimic the sensation of nicotine the most and works. Maybe the burn of cinnamon is close to the tingle of nicotine? Idk but it was a lifesaver.
Definitely out of the fog now and know I can do this. Just hoping I’ll remember that later. But as we say, I just need to quit today. I’m not going to worry about tomorrow. Anyway, I’m kind of liking this daily journal I’m doing in here. It’s helping me address and organize all the emotions and feelings. Hopefully it will help me be prepared. And, who knows, maybe it will help someone else down the road. I also love the support and feedback from it. I’ll keep doing it until someone makes me stop. See y’all at roll call tomorrow, gents.

Offline GS9502

• Quitting MoFo
  • "A Little Bit Off"
  • Quit Date: 02/28/2020
  • Interests: Georgia Southern football and baseball, outdoor stuff, movies, music
  • Likes Given: 270
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2020, 10:05:37 AM »
Not gonna lie gents. Today sucked...in a major way. Days one and too has some minor struggles but I was so busy, I made it through fairly easy by staying distracted. Today was busy at work but I felt every second of it it seemed. Went through most of a tub of orbit gum, and 2 or 3 dum dums. I'm hoping this means the fog is starting to lift so that I can just deal with the suck because at least it means progress. Ready to "embrace the suck, I guess. "
Hey man, there are gonna be days like that, and I hate to tell you, they'll happen off and on far past this first week of quit. Use the gum, find some fake dip that works for you, eat sunflower seeds like a damn bird...whatever it takes to stay quit. Weirdly enough, cinnamon gum works best for me. I order Mentos Pure cinnamon gum by the case from Amazon, 300 pieces at a time.

Drink plenty of water. As you said, embrace the suck. It's better than embracing chemo. Get through this ODAAT. I know you can.
Renegade of Quit
"For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset, and the baths of all the western stars, until I die." - Ulysses, Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Offline Cincibuck

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2020, 06:53:53 PM »
Not gonna lie gents. Today sucked...in a major way. Days one and too has some minor struggles but I was so busy, I made it through fairly easy by staying distracted. Today was busy at work but I felt every second of it it seemed. Went through most of a tub of orbit gum, and 2 or 3 dum dums. I'm hoping this means the fog is starting to lift so that I can just deal with the suck because at least it means progress. Ready to "embrace the suck, I guess. "

Stick with it man.....you are almost over the first hump.

Offline HR Guy

« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2020, 04:39:49 PM »