Author Topic: Glad to be here  (Read 88814 times)

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
Quitting
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
From Wildirish317:

Quitting is a word that tugs at emotion. By definition it associates itself with departing, leaving, forsaking and abandonment. But the real abandonment took place on the day nicotine dependent pathways suppressed all remaining memory of the beauty of life without nicotine, when no longer able to recall how fantastic we functioned without it.

The word "quitting" tends to paint nicotine cessation in gray and black, in the doom and gloom of bad and horrible. It breeds anticipatory fears, inner demons, needless anxieties, external enemies and visions of suffering. It fosters a natural sense of self-deprivation, of leaving something valuable behind.

Now, contrast quitting with recovery. Recovery doesn't run or hide from our addiction. Instead, it boldly embraces who we became, and every aspect of this temporary journey of re-adjustment. When knowledge based, we're looking for recovery symptoms, emotions, conditioning and junkie thinking, and view each encounter as an opportunity to reclaim another piece of a nicotine-free life.

Nicotine dependency recovery presents an opportunity to experience what may be our richest period of repair and self-discovery ever. Tissues are allowed to heal. Senses awaken and brain's neuro-chemicals again flow in response to life not nicotine.

It's a period where each challenge overcome awards us another piece of our puzzle, a puzzle that once complete reflects a life reclaimed.

You don't know me. I quit on 2/25/2016.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:37:38 AM by Athan »
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The trees...
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 09:35:12 AM »
JGromo 4/18/18:
"...The tree's have thinned slightly in the forest of quit, the fog has lifted and its become more of a nice relaxing stroll through the woods than a treck through the muck, fog and jungle of quit..."
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
SRains
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
10 Apr 18
From SRains HOF speech:
An addict fell in a hole and couldn't get out. A businessman went by. The addict called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him to buy a ladder, but the addict could not find a ladder in this hole he was in. A doctor walked by. The addict said, "Help, I can't get out." The doctor gave him some drugs and said, "Take this, it will relieve the pain." The addict said thanks, but when the pills ran out he was still in the hole. A renowned psychiatrist rode by and heard the addict's cries for help. He stopped and said, "How did you get in there? Were you born there? Did your parents put you there? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness." So the addict talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he'd be back next week. The addict thanked him, but was still in his hole. A priest came by and heard the addict calling for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said, "I'll pray for you." The priest got down on his knees and prayed for the addict, then left. The addict was very grateful and he read the whole Bible, but he was still stuck in that hole. A recovering addict happened to be passing by. The addict cried out, "Hey, help me, I'm stuck in this hole." Right away, the recovering addict jumped in the hole with him. The addict said, "What are you doing? Now we're both stuck here!" But the recovering addict said, "It's okay. I've been here before. I know the way out."
- Anonymous

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
My brothers quit
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »
4/6/18
Exerpt from the movie Blackhawk Down
"Hoot": When I go home people'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do you do it man? What, you some kinda war junkie?" You know what I'll say? I won't say a xxxword. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.

Until you invest in your brothers quit, until you ask him to invest in yours, you haven't scratched the surface of what happens here. If you can't do that, you're short changing yourself.

Nothing strengthens my quit like helping my brother out. Nothing.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Distortion
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
4/4/18
If I had to distill it down to one descriptive word, it would be distortion.

The addiction distorts the user’s perception of reality; twists it into dependency.

The distortion is that nicotine enhances life experiences. But it doesn't, it detracts from them.

By effecting the release of dopamine in the brain, it becomes the central experience; the lens through which life is viewed, the context upon which other experiences are weighed.
And because this occurs in the brain; it is intrinsic to the mind.
It is for this reason I tell you that what you are dealing with is NOT mind over matter but LIFE over ADDICTION.

This is why accountability groups are so successful; an objective third party to counterbalance the addicts own brain when struggling with desire for the next fix.

Yes, it's true, a real man can quit on his own, but only a fool does it needlessly.

More often than not, the fool fails.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:59:06 PM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Accountability
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
4/3/18
Accountability.
It can be painful in the short term.
Lack of it will destroy a man in the long haul.
You will exercise it here, that and your honor and your integrity.
You will forge them in the fire of your quit and you will emerge a better man for it.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Perspectives
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »
4/2/18
Funny how two people can witness the same thing yet perceive different realities.
You see a habit you’re in control of
I see an addict controlled by a substance
You see a can
I see yet another iteration in an endless line
You see $5
I see thousands of dollars
You see tobacco
I see over 30 chemicals, some of them radioactive, among which is nicotine, guaranteed to keep you coming back
You see pleasure
I see pain
You see the individual experience
I see a father imparting death upon his son
You see reasons
I see excuses
The fact is you can’t see because you’re blinded by addiction.
You have to give up the can to see clearly.
You have to kill the can.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
We Don't Do Excuses
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 08:53:54 AM »
3/31/18
We are addicts.
We’re in the business of quitting here ladies and gentlemen.
We don’t do excuses.
Why?
Because with the addict any excuse will do.
Who will be the arbiter of excuses if we go down that road? You? Me? The man who fell?
No. That door would never close.
We don’t do excuses.
We’re in the business of quitting here.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The Sean Marsee Story
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
3/30/18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabBgNQLK3g
The Sean Marsee Story. Watch it with your children.

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
A habit vs addiction
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »
3/30/18
".....in simplest terms, the primary difference between a habit and an addiction....
Is that a person is ultimately in control of a habit.While an addiction is in control of the person...."

I didn't pen that, wish I did.

A clarification if I may, for the slow, tobacco use isn't a habit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 09:52:09 AM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The List
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
3/27/18
This is from the April ’18 quit group. These are the ones who tried and failed.
Check out the names. Some of them tell a story. It’s not just chatroom monikers.
Behind each name is a man devoured by an addiction; A human being tortured and afflicted but not willing or able to turn away.
Check out Gumzbleed. This one haunts me. Here’s a man unable to master himself or the addiction in spite of tremendous physical pain and visible precancerous symptoms.
How about Notreadytodie. Well he wasn’t able to quit either.
I watched some of these men cross the threshold to KTC. Welcomed them with digits and open arms.
Still they deserted. They loved the can more than their families.
This list is more deeply stirring to my blood than posting daily with my brothers.
This isn’t some kind of game. It really is a matter of life or death.
Do your gums bleed? Are you not ready to die?
What is it going to take? Really, what is it going to take?

April ‘18
12.7x99
MNcold
Notreadytodie
Kobeertx
Mhill22
Gumzbleed
GoJo914
Walkerm
Gunnernick
Mike T
Rheck4096
Jackn04
Brandon785
Keith B
BPM
73D
CDH0059
Pureblood
Hugh Jass
Randi
Bphillips013
ryanp41
Shawnatony
EOEO
pr0123
Angryamerican
Tider
Lmr2096
Marcabby
Tbrown
OX
Dcquitter
Hammer Hands
Thefaceless13
Rheleaf
Sox_Fan
StateGuy
Reegs
Laxdaddy27

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
It's the Behavior I hate most...
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »
3/24/18
In retrospect, I think I hate the addict behavior more than I hate the adverse health effects of nicotine.
I think it more worthy of contempt than the use itself.
It is with profound sadness and pity that I now look upon you who use.
It is as if your eyes are cloaked with scales and you cannot grasp that freedom is so close, so very close; only a decision away. You need only reach out and claim it.
I leave you with the words of a man 10 years free. I scarce have seen so much wisdom packed into so few words:

“Ready - Day 3,704
I've been quit on this site for over ten years. I've had the privilege and honor of being asked to serve as both a mod and an admin. I'm still baffled by how well this place works if you are ready to quit. This place works.
Be advised, there is no magic pill and there is no cure.
But there is freedom to be had here. If your word of honor means something, you too can quit.
Post roll giving your word for today that you will not use nicotine in any way, shape or form. Keep your word. Whatever it takes.
You will find the help here you need. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people that understand exactly what you are going through. Most of them will drop whatever they are doing to help you stay quit. All of this and it's free too!
The knowledge and insight on this site can not be equaled anywhere.
If you are reading this, you may be contemplating quitting. Just know that you are not alone. We know! We can help. But you must do the heavy lifting. We can't quit for you. We will quit with you.
I don't think you can imagine right now how great your quality of life can be. You probably do not realize how much nicotine has taken from you. You may not want to hear this, but you are a slave. And you as well as friends and loved ones are suffering for your addiction.
You can quit!
You will not regret it!
It will be one of the hardest things you have ever done. It will also be one of the most rewarding things you have ever done.
It's going to suck for awhile (you will pay the price) but your freedom is worth it!”

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
Take Your Meds
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »
TAKE YOUR MEDS
As told by Samrs 09 Sep 18....

I used to work with a company that did educational materials for people dealing with schizophrenia and depression. I was just a software developer, but being the only software developer (small company) I got to learn a thing or two from the folks developing content for the CDs we put together.

It's been nearly 20 years, so a lot of what I learned has kind of faded, except one thing that was repeated over... and over... and over, in every possible format, in every possible way. Text, graphics, audio, visual, multimedia clips - you name it.

Take your medicine.

Take your meds.

People would come up with all sorts of crappy reasons why they shouldn't have to take their meds. The #1 reason, over and above everything else, was something like, "I feel fine now! I haven't heard any voices or thought about killing myself in weeks!"

Yeah, you know why, genius? It's because you've been taking your damn meds.

KTC doesn't give you a prescription for a drug. What it does give you is a prescription for how to beat your addiction: WUPP EDD.

That's it. That's your medicine. There's your meds. It's the reason you're quit.

Just... keep... doing it.

Take. Your. Damn. Meds.
•   You wake up feeling crappy? Post roll.
•   You wake up feeling great? Post roll.
•   You still think about nic all the time? Post roll.
•   You hardly ever think about nic anymore? Post roll.
•   Life is great? Post roll.
•   Life sucks? Post roll.
•   Your day is go-go-go from the minute you roll out of bed? Wow! You sure are busy! Now POST ROLL.
There's a half dozen ways to get on roll. USE ONE OF THEM. First thing in the morning, every damn day.

You want to stay quit? Take your meds. WUPP EDD. It's that simple.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:51:05 AM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The Road Called Recovery
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 02:31:40 PM »
The Road Called Recovery
From WildIrish317

Day 65. If I didn't know any better, I would say I'm "cured". However, I do know better. I am through withdrawal, and moving down the road they call recovery. The trick now is to stay on this road and not get sidetracked into relapse.

So, I've mastered the Law of Addiction. My addiction is arrested. I'm through the withdrawal, the suck. I'm on the road of recovery. Now what? How do I stay on this road?

The first rule to recovery is: You don't recover from an addiction by stopping using. You recover by creating a new life where it is easier to not use.
If you don't create a new life, the Nic bitch will lure you back into using her.

There are tools to help us create a new life. You can find them at www.addictionsandrecovery.org. I want to discuss them briefly here because they are important.

The three tools are:

1. Avoid high risk situations.
2. Learn to relax.
3. Be honest.

Some common high risk situations are described by the acronym HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired). You can't always avoid these situations, but learn to recognize them and be on guard for the Nic bitch, because she's watching and waiting.

We used nicotine to relax. We need to find something to replace that. Drugs and alcohol are not your best choice, as these are addictive substances as well. Meditation is a good tool for relaxation. KTC has a good thread on meditation: Meditation Group. (Athan unable to find link to group, lost in transition from tapatalk?  Will update when reestablished here) It has a good beginning, morphs into a roll post, and then has some more tips and tricks at the end. I also tie flies to relax. My mother played the piano to relax. (I used to think she just liked to play. Now I realize she would do it when she was upset.)

The following is a direct quote from linked web page. I can't think of a good way to summarize it, and there are a lot of important points about being honest.

An addiction requires lying. You have to lie about getting your drug, using it, hiding its consequences, and planning your next relapse. An addiction is full of lying. By the time you've developed an addiction, lying comes easily to you. After a while you get so good at lying that you end up lying to yourself. That's why addicts don't know who they are or what they believe in.

The other problem with lying is that you can't like yourself when you lie. You can't look yourself in the mirror. Lying traps you in your addiction. The more you lie, the less you like yourself, which makes you want to escape, which leads to more using and more lying.

Nothing changes, if nothing changes. Ask yourself this: will more lying, more isolating, and more of the same make you feel better? The expression in AA is - nothing changes if nothing changes. If you don't change your life, then why would this time be any different? You need to create a new life where it's easier to not use.

Recovery requires complete honesty. You must be one-hundred percent completely honest with the people who are your supports: your family, your doctor, your therapist, the people in your 12 step group, and your sponsor. If you can't be completely honest with them, you won't do well in recovery.

When you're completely honest you don't give your addiction room to hide. When you lie you leave the door open to relapse.

One mistake people make in the early stages of recovery is they think that honesty means being honest about other people. They think they should share what's "wrong" with other people. But recovery isn't about fixing other people. It's about fixing yourself. Stick with your own recovery. Focusing on what you don't like about others is easy because it deflects attention from yourself.

Honesty won't come naturally in the beginning. You've spent so much time learning how to lie that telling the truth, no matter how good it is for you, won't feel natural. You'll have to practice telling the truth a few hundred times before it comes a little easier. In the beginning, you'll have to stop yourself as you're telling a story, and say, "now that I think about it, it was more like this..."

Show common sense. Not everybody is your best friend. And not everybody will be glad to know that you have an addiction or that you're doing something about it. There may be some people who you don't want to tell about your recovery. But don't be reluctant to tell the people close to you about your recovery. You should never feel ashamed that you're doing something about your addiction.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:33:33 PM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
The Law of Addiction
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 06:46:19 AM »
From WildIrish317:
The Law of Addiction

...the discussion led to research. The research led to the law of addiction.

The Law is rather simple. It states, “Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Mastering it requires acceptance of three fundamental principles:
(1) that dependency upon using nicotine is true chemical addiction, captivating the same brain dopamine reward pathways as alcoholism, cocaine or heroin addiction;
(2) that once established we cannot cure or kill an addiction but only arrest it; and
(3) that once arrested, regardless of how long we have remained nicotine free, that just one hit of nicotine will create a high degree of probability of a full relapse.

Once you have mastered the law of addiction, there is absolutely no legitimate excuse to put nicotine into your body in any form. As a nicotine addict, you have permanently altered the way your brain functions. This cannot be undone. The only way to stay quit is to stay quit.

There is a smoking cessation website named whyquit.com. They have zero tolerance for nicotine. You get one try per lifetime on this site. You have posting privileges as long as you remain nicotine free. If you ingest nicotine, your posting privileges are permanently revoked.

I've given this topic a lot of thought over the past two days. For now, I'm going to leave my comments brief. There is a lot to absorb in this post.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:18:55 PM by Athan »

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer