Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
  • Quit Date: 1/7/2018
  • Likes Given: 96
Re: Kybo from 1-13-18
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »
Day 88

Fucking storm tore the roof off of my brand new not even finished yet barn last night. Then I had to lay there the rest of the night and listen to the wind slam the loose metal sheets against the still attached sheets. Sounded fucking awful.

But, that is still the only problem I have this morning. Game on, bitch! IQWYT!
"No regrets, that's my motto. That and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
"That's what's great about the outdoors, you know. It's one giant toilet."
"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
Day 86

The mystery as to what I am going to spend all of the money on that I saved by not purchasing chew has been solved. For weeks I thought I might buy a drone, night vision monocle or a rear tine tiller. But then on Friday morning I walked into a mom and pop hardware store and saw the Broil King XL Smoke with a giant 50% Off Floor Model Clearance Sale sign stuck on it. Mystery solved. I was going to wait until 100 days before I spent that money but I couldnÂ’t pass up the opportunity to get the Broil King.

This past weekend was a pretty big deal for me. I would call it a moderate victory.

My wife and kids went to the in-laws and left me home alone for 48 hours. In the past, that would have meant a weekend of smoking cigars, drinking beer and slamming cans of chew. The old me would have probably gone through 3 or 4 cans of chew, a handful of cigars and at least a case of beer. The new me didnÂ’t do any of those things. Instead, I worked on a few projects during the day and read a book in the evenings. I even walked down to the pond on Friday night and made a few casts. Sure, I thought about chew and cigars a handful of times, but I never seriously considered buying either. I won the weekend and it wasnÂ’t that difficult.

I seem to have overcome most of my triggers. The one I am still struggling with is kind of weird. I can drive all over the place for hours at a time and have zero problems. But, for some reason I think about chew almost non-stop if I just have to drive into town by myself to pick up one or two items. In the past, I was always volunteering to run into town and pick up things for my wife so that I could have that one big chew for 30 minutes. But now that I am tobacco free that quick run into town makes my salivary glands fire on all cylinders the whole way to the store and back. Nothing that is going to cause me to cave. Just one of those things that is hard to explain.

I am a visual guy. I donÂ’t know why, but I always have a mental picture for everything. Since I quit tobacco I have been thinking about Nicotine and visualizing it as a person. But, not just any person. No, the image I have in my head for Nicotine is that of Kate Upton. I have no fucking idea why I keep seeing her as Nicotine, but Kate is making it very difficult for me to develop the hatred for Nicotine that I want and need. I have seriously been trying to train my brain to see Skeletor, but so far Kate is all I see. I vaguely think I remember a discussion in April Â’18 way back where people were talking about Kate Upton. I donÂ’t know for sure if this was the seed that caused my dilemma, or not. But, it sure does cause me trouble when Nicotine comes calling and I try to visualize myself beating the shit out of Kate Upton with a tire iron. So far it is still working, but it would be a lot easier if I was seeing SkeletorÂ’s brains splattering the wall instead of KateÂ’s.

We are still losing a few members here and there from our April Â’18 group even as we find ourselves approaching the 100 Day mark. Big E just celebrated 100 Days yesterday. I find myself thinking a lot about the last time I tried to quit and failed after over two years of being tobacco free. That was over ten years ago, but it seems like it was a lifetime ago. I can remember that something very stressful happened at work and I felt like I had to go buy a can of chew as a result. I bought the can and had one dip and then proceeded to chew for another ten years. The funny thing is that I canÂ’t even remember what that stressful event at work was. In fact, I have no fucking clue. Looking back I realize that I wasnÂ’t ready to quit at the time. My addict brain was just looking for an excuse and my resolve wasnÂ’t strong enough. Things are different now.

Things are much different now.

IQWYT
"i thought I could stay at the party forever, it don't work that way, cause that shit will kill ya" -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

HOF date: 4/16/182nd Floor: 7/25/183rd Floor: 11/02/184th Floor: 2/10/195th Floor: 5/21/196th Floor: 8/19/197th Floor: 12/7/198th Floor: 3/16/209th Floor: 6/24/2010th Floor: 10/02/2011th Floor: 1/10/2112th Floor: 4/20/2113th Floor: 7/29/2114th Floor: 11/7/2115th Floor:  2/14/2216th Floor:  5/25/2217th Floor:  9/2/2218th Floor:  12/11/2219th Floor:  3/21/23

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »
Quote from: Doofus
I also second the notion that your journal is inspiring. I have taken a page from your book and made journal entries on my Intro. Although not as articulately as you do.

Proud to quit with you today.

I've found Day 60 to 77 challenging to say the least. ODAAT.

PS- KETO and exercise is really working for me.
I don't consider myself to be very articulate. But, I do appreciate the sentiment.

I find the journal aspect of my intro to be extremely therapeutic. And I also find reading other people's journals to be very therapeutic. I try to read a handful of other people's journal entries every day.

I am just now starting to experiment with the Keto diet a little myself. But, I have cut my calories way back and I am exercising about 10 hours a week right now. I am hoping to pick up on the hours as soon as it starts getting warmer outside. Still pretty cold where I live. We got 4 inches of snow last night.

I hit a funk around Day 60 that lasted for about a week. It wasn't terrible, but I just had a lack of energy and motivation.

ODAAT

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
I also second the notion that your journal is inspiring. I have taken a page from your book and made journal entries on my Intro. Although not as articulately as you do.

Proud to quit with you today.

I've found Day 60 to 77 challenging to say the least. ODAAT.

PS- KETO and exercise is really working for me.

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2018, 12:20:00 PM »
Sorry if I confused anyone with my last post. I am not planning on leaving anytime soon. I just didn't transition to that last paragraph very well.

The whole basis of that last paragraph about leaving was just my thoughts on something I read on KTC where people were talking about when/if it would ever be OK to leave KTC. Upon re-reading my whole post this morning I now realize the last paragraph was extremely underdeveloped and totally lacking in explanation.

The whole point I was trying to make is that tomorrow is an unknown. I know myself well enough to understand that someday I will get bored with KTC. And when I do get bored there is a decent chance I might disappear from the site. I have no idea when or if that will ever happen. As of right now I plan on being here for the long haul. I do not want to repeat my past. I do not want to fail again. We will see where I am tomorrow, and then the next day, and then the next day.............................

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2018, 07:27:00 AM »
Quote from: Kybo
Nothing to see in today's post. Just a few ramblings from my sleep deprived mind.

There has been a lot of really deep discussions on various forums at KTC over the last few days. I am talking about the good stuff that makes you look deep in your soul and think about who you are, what you are doing, and where you want to go. One of the topics that I have seen discussed in a few different places are variations of the theme “why KTC works or what KTC means to me.” At first glance these two things may seem completely different, but I would argue they are one and the same for most of the addicts using KTC to strengthen their quit.

As I lay wide awake last night staring at the ceiling and thinking about all the words of wisdom I have garnered from KTC in the last couple months, I found myself thinking about why KTC works for me. And I just kept coming back to one of my favorite quotes. I have never thought about this quote before from an addictÂ’s perspective, but after last night I will probably never think of it in any other way again.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” George Santayana

Perhaps George Santayana was a recovering addict himself. It sure sounds like he knew a thing or two about the subject. I can't tell you how many times I have failed in my attempts to quit in the past because I let myself forget just how addicted I am to the nicotine bitch.

George Santayana (1863-1952) was a Spanish born American author and philosopher. It is believed the above quote originated with George, but I have seen some sources that think the quote pre dates George by a few years. For me, it doesnÂ’t really matter who said it first. The words of wisdom contained in the quote should be something memorized by every single addict that is working on recovery. Because when you truly see those words for what they are, you will understand those eleven words are actually a map that will guide any and all recovering addicts to the elusive treasure we all seek. And that treasure is none other than freedom from the chains of addiction.

So, why does KTC work and what does KTC mean to me?

Whether you use KTC to post and ghost roll every day or you fully engorge yourself with gallons and gallons of the kool aid, the successful recovering addict is using KTC to remember their past. They may not consciously realize what they are doing, but they are keeping their addiction front and center in their thoughts every time they visit KTC. By doing this, they are lessening the chance they will repeat their past failures. The daily ritual of visiting KTC keeps us from forgetting that we are addicts. It stops complacency dead in her tracks. And thus it keeps us from falling back down the rabbit hole we call addiction. For some people, simply visiting and posting roll every day is enough. Others may need to interact a little more. And still others may need to completely submerge themselves in the refreshing waters of brotherhood. Every one of us is different and every one of us is the same. Some need the phone calls and the accountability, others just need a safe place to read and reflect.

KTC may mean different things to different people. But, it also means the same thing to all of us. I will never forget where I have been, and I will never forget why I left. That is the pledge I silently make to myself every morning when I post roll call in April ‘18. Because I know if I ever let myself forget that I am an addict I will soon find myself on my proverbial knees again suckling at the teat of Big Tobacco.

I will leave KTC some day. I know I will. It is just human nature to get bored with your surroundings and go out and seek a change of environment. I have no idea when that day will come, but I know it will come. I honestly donÂ’t see myself still posting roll at 100% five years from now. Maybe not even this time next year. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. I made my promise this morning and I will worry about tomorrow when it becomes today. But when I do leave I will leave with the knowledge that I have gained while I was here. And I will never let myself forget because I do not want to repeat my past.
I second AthanÂ’s sentiments. You are a great contributor here on ktc. And on the intros.

One day at a time, we quit. 1,923 days ago I thought posting was lame. Waste of time. IÂ’ll do it to HOF. One day at a time I havenÂ’t missed a day. I like my friends here. I like the accountability. No... I need it.

You might be surprised bro. Quitting will change your whole life. Enjoy it, one day at a time.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1651
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2018, 06:06:00 AM »
There are times a man is unaware of the ripples he creates in the fabric of life. Perhaps this is the case more often than not. I write this as you don't know how often I come to read your posts for inspiration as I'm sure others do. You're not very outspoken in April, just a quiet presence. Here you skillfully and articulately chronicle the battle and some of life's other issues. It is inspiring and edifying to read. I'm even disappointed on days you don't add to it. Thought I'd write and let you know. And to say thank-you. I hope you stick around.
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
Nothing to see in today's post. Just a few ramblings from my sleep deprived mind.

There has been a lot of really deep discussions on various forums at KTC over the last few days. I am talking about the good stuff that makes you look deep in your soul and think about who you are, what you are doing, and where you want to go. One of the topics that I have seen discussed in a few different places are variations of the theme “why KTC works or what KTC means to me.” At first glance these two things may seem completely different, but I would argue they are one and the same for most of the addicts using KTC to strengthen their quit.

As I lay wide awake last night staring at the ceiling and thinking about all the words of wisdom I have garnered from KTC in the last couple months, I found myself thinking about why KTC works for me. And I just kept coming back to one of my favorite quotes. I have never thought about this quote before from an addictÂ’s perspective, but after last night I will probably never think of it in any other way again.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” George Santayana

Perhaps George Santayana was a recovering addict himself. It sure sounds like he knew a thing or two about the subject. I can't tell you how many times I have failed in my attempts to quit in the past because I let myself forget just how addicted I am to the nicotine bitch.

George Santayana (1863-1952) was a Spanish born American author and philosopher. It is believed the above quote originated with George, but I have seen some sources that think the quote pre dates George by a few years. For me, it doesnÂ’t really matter who said it first. The words of wisdom contained in the quote should be something memorized by every single addict that is working on recovery. Because when you truly see those words for what they are, you will understand those eleven words are actually a map that will guide any and all recovering addicts to the elusive treasure we all seek. And that treasure is none other than freedom from the chains of addiction.

So, why does KTC work and what does KTC mean to me?

Whether you use KTC to post and ghost roll every day or you fully engorge yourself with gallons and gallons of the kool aid, the successful recovering addict is using KTC to remember their past. They may not consciously realize what they are doing, but they are keeping their addiction front and center in their thoughts every time they visit KTC. By doing this, they are lessening the chance they will repeat their past failures. The daily ritual of visiting KTC keeps us from forgetting that we are addicts. It stops complacency dead in her tracks. And thus it keeps us from falling back down the rabbit hole we call addiction. For some people, simply visiting and posting roll every day is enough. Others may need to interact a little more. And still others may need to completely submerge themselves in the refreshing waters of brotherhood. Every one of us is different and every one of us is the same. Some need the phone calls and the accountability, others just need a safe place to read and reflect.

KTC may mean different things to different people. But, it also means the same thing to all of us. I will never forget where I have been, and I will never forget why I left. That is the pledge I silently make to myself every morning when I post roll call in April ‘18. Because I know if I ever let myself forget that I am an addict I will soon find myself on my proverbial knees again suckling at the teat of Big Tobacco.

I will leave KTC some day. I know I will. It is just human nature to get bored with your surroundings and go out and seek a change of environment. I have no idea when that day will come, but I know it will come. I honestly donÂ’t see myself still posting roll at 100% five years from now. Maybe not even this time next year. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. I made my promise this morning and I will worry about tomorrow when it becomes today. But when I do leave I will leave with the knowledge that I have gained while I was here. And I will never let myself forget because I do not want to repeat my past.

Offline eric71

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Weight Training, Powerlifting, Kettlebells, coaching, fantasy sports
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 07:30:00 AM »
80 Days

I am still rolling along, but the last few days haven't been great. I got the news on Saturday that another one of my friends only has a few days left on earth. He was diagnosed with cancer on March 10th and now the doctors don't think he will make it to April. Mike and I haven't been close since we were in high school and college, but we still consider ourselves to be friends. This news totally sucks. He is 49 years old and has a wife and 2 kids. Mike will be the second guy I consider a friend to leave this earth since I gave up tobacco. It is certainly depressing.

On a brighter note, I have another friend that informed me yesterday that he is going to try to give up chew. Today is his Day 2. If he manages to stay quit that will make a total of 4 of us that spend a lot of time together that have given up the nic bitch. Steve has been quit for over 10 years, Bobby is almost to a year, I am almost to 3 months and now Brett is trying to join us. It is so much easier to quit if you are around other people that are quitting every day too.

I have now gone 8 straight days without the fake chew. I am not going to lie, it has been pretty difficult to give up. I am still carrying an emergency can of Smoky Mountain with me in case I have a ridiculous craving, but I think I am over needing the fake stuff.

And that is the roller coaster that I have been on.

I started chewing when I was a kid. Almost 35 years ago when I was young and dumb. Way back when I thought I was invincible. Now I find myself looking around and I am starting to see the herd getting a little thinner. Those guys used to be young and dumb too. They used to think they were invincible..............................

UPDATE:

Mikey died about 4 hours after I originally posted this entry this morning. 17 days after he was diagnosed with cancer.
Sorry for your loss brother. Life offers no reprieve. Thoughts and prayers with you today.

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »
80 Days

I am still rolling along, but the last few days haven't been great. I got the news on Saturday that another one of my friends only has a few days left on earth. He was diagnosed with cancer on March 10th and now the doctors don't think he will make it to April. Mike and I haven't been close since we were in high school and college, but we still consider ourselves to be friends. This news totally sucks. He is 49 years old and has a wife and 2 kids. Mike will be the second guy I consider a friend to leave this earth since I gave up tobacco. It is certainly depressing.

On a brighter note, I have another friend that informed me yesterday that he is going to try to give up chew. Today is his Day 2. If he manages to stay quit that will make a total of 4 of us that spend a lot of time together that have given up the nic bitch. Steve has been quit for over 10 years, Bobby is almost to a year, I am almost to 3 months and now Brett is trying to join us. It is so much easier to quit if you are around other people that are quitting every day too.

I have now gone 8 straight days without the fake chew. I am not going to lie, it has been pretty difficult to give up. I am still carrying an emergency can of Smoky Mountain with me in case I have a ridiculous craving, but I think I am over needing the fake stuff.

And that is the roller coaster that I have been on.

I started chewing when I was a kid. Almost 35 years ago when I was young and dumb. Way back when I thought I was invincible. Now I find myself looking around and I am starting to see the herd getting a little thinner. Those guys used to be young and dumb too. They used to think they were invincible..............................

UPDATE:

Mikey died about 4 hours after I originally posted this entry this morning. 17 days after he was diagnosed with cancer.

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
"............welcoming the challenge my former self has presented me with." -- Mack213

I don't have anything to post in here this morning. I just wanted to share the snippet of a quote (above) that I read on Mack213's Intro page this morning. I found it to be a bit inspirational.

We need to "welcome the challenge" every day if we want to be successful. I hadn't really thought about it in those terms, but I have been welcoming the challenge every single day without even realizing it. I don't dread my day when I wake up any more. I am completely beyond that at 76 days. At this point in time I see staying quit as a form of competition between me and the nic bitch. And I am a competitive MoFo. Hell, I don't even let my kids win at board games.

So, yeah. I do welcome the challenge every damn day. And I welcome it with a big fucking smile on my face. And from now on I think I will start every day by saying out loud, "Game on, bitch!"

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 11:05:00 AM »
Still Day 60.

Doofus just posted that he was able to lose 50 pounds in 3 months on the Keto diet with exercise. I am going to look into this Keto diet a little more. The only thing that looks like it would be a major problem for me would be giving up beer. But, it would be worth it if I could lose 25 pounds in 3 months. I had a salad and a glass of water for lunch today. I think I will read up on Keto after I get off the treadmill this evening.

Still no sign of Preston today. He will be MIQ after today. Bummer. But, I did stumble onto a new quitter today in General Discussion and help him find his way to the June 18' Pre HOF page. So, it looks like we lost one and gained another in the battle against big tobacco.
My diet and exercise regime has been my distraction....instead of obsessing about tobacco, Ive applied myself to health and wellness....I figured if I pursue health and wellness as hard as my addiction to nicotine, I'll be Better off...It's working.....warning, all that money saved? Lose a lot of weight and it goes right back into new clothes, lol.....nice problem to have, but not a budget saver. Cured all my blood issues, off all medications....high blood pressure, cholesterol, sugars all normal now....doctor almost shit himself

Offline kybo

• Master of Quit
  • Nemo Sine Vitio Est
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
Quote from: dundippin
Kybo,
It looks like you are going strong on your quit.

I like how you are journaling your journey. It will help you and many others.

I thought I would share some of the wisdom I have gained.

The main way to be successful is to just decide that you have quit. Once you stop the negotiating in your head as to whether you will do one more or not the rest becomes far more simple.

Next, you will learn to distract your attention from your desire for a dip to anything else that interests you. This ability to change your focus will guarantee your success and make your quit that much easier.

When you place a dip in your mouth, your brain releases sugars. Well, those sugars are now going to be gone.

However, you can replace them with OJ or other fruit juices with sugar. This will provide some comfort, especially on your initial quit days.

Make sure to exercise with weights and cardio when you feel that nagging tension in your muscles, you feel that rage, when you can not sleep and when you cannot focus. Exercise really helps.

Here is one that most people overlook. Get at least 3 square meals a day. Hunger can really bring on those urges so squash those urges before they come. Eat full healthy meals and do not let yourself get excessively hungry. You will see this helps a great deal.

I waited until I was 59 quit after using tobacco for 40 years. You are wise to quit now.

I quit with you today.

Dundippin day 920
dundippin,

Thanks for posting this on my Intro. I read your advice awhile back somewhere else that you had it posted and it really did help me. I have been on the exercise from Day 1 but your info on the sugar was appreciated. I have been tearing through OJ and pineapple juice for the last month and I do think it has helped me. Distracting myself with little projects has also gotten me thru some rough times. Thank you for taking the time to help guide the rest of us down the path. I know the words of wisdom from you and others has definitely helped keep me from getting lost along the way.

Offline Dundippin

• Quitter
  • Shift your focus so you do not think about it
    • Recovery Meeting Place
  • Quit Date: 9/15/2015
  • Interests: Web development, database design, management, weightlifting, bike riding, gardening and watching the Baltimore Ravens.
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
Kybo,
It looks like you are going strong on your quit.

I like how you are journaling your journey. It will help you and many others.

I thought I would share some of the wisdom I have gained.

The main way to be successful is to just decide that you have quit. Once you stop the negotiating in your head as to whether you will do one more or not the rest becomes far more simple.

Next, you will learn to distract your attention from your desire for a dip to anything else that interests you. This ability to change your focus will guarantee your success and make your quit that much easier.

When you place a dip in your mouth, your brain releases sugars. Well, those sugars are now going to be gone.

However, you can replace them with OJ or other fruit juices with sugar. This will provide some comfort, especially on your initial quit days.

Make sure to exercise with weights and cardio when you feel that nagging tension in your muscles, you feel that rage, when you can not sleep and when you cannot focus. Exercise really helps.

Here is one that most people overlook. Get at least 3 square meals a day. Hunger can really bring on those urges so squash those urges before they come. Eat full healthy meals and do not let yourself get excessively hungry. You will see this helps a great deal.

I waited until I was 59 quit after using tobacco for 40 years. You are wise to quit now.

I quit with you today.

Dundippin day 920

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
Proud to quit with you man.....I did my Intro earlier thus week...feeling great at day 67. ODAT