Community > Introductions

Oldschool introduction

(1/19) > >>

Keith0617:

--- Quote from: oldschool on July 13, 2022, 03:17:20 PM ---1375 days quit and free.

Seems like yesterday since my last post in my introduction but it has been over 200 days.  I remember thinking how would I ever get to 100 days nicotine free, and now the days just whip on by!  This blog has helped me tremendously over the years.  It was really a relief at times to be able share my thoughts especially in those early difficult days.  I hope that my posts may have helped someone get through a tough time as well.

I visited family in Wisconsin over the July 4th holiday.  It was approaching nightfall and we were getting ready to start a bonfire.  My Brother in-law asked all of us if anyone wanted a cigar.  I immediately declined and said, "I can never have nicotine again."  My wife smiled at me, and I felt empowered.  I still have craves.  I know the damage that nicotine has done to my brain. I know that I don't have that choice anymore.  Stay quit and remain free.

I think it is time to retire my introduction...
oldschool

--- End quote ---

Appreciate you Rich. Glad to know you are still in my corner @oldschool   

oldschool:
1375 days quit and free.

Seems like yesterday since my last post in my introduction but it has been over 200 days.  I remember thinking how would I ever get to 100 days nicotine free, and now the days just whip on by!  This blog has helped me tremendously over the years.  It was really a relief at times to be able share my thoughts especially in those early difficult days.  I hope that my posts may have helped someone get through a tough time as well.

I visited family in Wisconsin over the July 4th holiday.  It was approaching nightfall and we were getting ready to start a bonfire.  My Brother in-law asked all of us if anyone wanted a cigar.  I immediately declined and said, "I can never have nicotine again."  My wife smiled at me, and I felt empowered.  I still have craves.  I know the damage that nicotine has done to my brain. I know that I don't have that choice anymore.  Stay quit and remain free.

I think it is time to retire my introduction...
oldschool

oldschool:
1164 Quit and Free.

If you haven't quit yet and are reading this; Throw that shit out, quit today, and post your promise not to use nicotine.

If you are just recently quit, then hopefully this message might give insight and/or hope.  Early on in my quit it was minute by minute and just fighting to get through the day.  As time went on, withdrawal symptoms would come and go, but front and center was dealing with anxiety (something nicotine masked prior to my quit).  The one encouraging thing I can say is that with time, life gets a lot better and quitting gets easier.

Early in November I had some dental work done resulting in one temporary crown.  Dentist told me not to east anything too hard or sticky, so I quit chewing gum (sugar free peppermint) because I didn't want the crown to fall off.  I had some issues with the fitting of the permanent crown, so I went the whole month of November without chewing gum, which was one of my tools for controlling my anxiety.  At the same time, my work responsibilities had ramped up immensely, which also didn't help my anxiety.  To say November was challenging is quite the understatement, but an interesting (and good) thing happened at the same time.   Once my permanent crown was installed, I was able to chew gum again. Curiously, I have only chewed 2 pieces of gum since the new crown, and I no longer feel the need to constantly chomp on a piece of gum for 8 hours a day.  It is quite amazing that if you quit something one day at a time how easy it is to change your life for the better.

When you are in the throws of withdrawals, it can be depressing when you don't see instant improvement.  Later when the quitting is getting easier and then you hit a major funk, you may wonder does this ever end?  Will I ever feel better?  What I can say is we are never cured.  We will always be addicted to nicotine.  The other thing I can say is it does get better.  A lot better.  Just quit for the day, and repeat.  It will get better.

oldschool
Quit and Free

bubblehed668:

--- Quote from: oldschool on September 02, 2021, 03:38:42 PM ---1061. Quit. Free. Here.

I had an interesting dip dream last night; this was the first dream where I did not actually put the crap in my mouth. I was in a social setting, and I could feel my anxiety taking control. That anxiety was fueling an intense crave. I felt a can in my pocket. I reached in and felt a can of dip.

It was the can of dip that was strange. It had a heavy, metallic, solid feel to it. Like the can was special; a can of dip with importance. The crave became more and more intense. I kept reaching for and holding that can longer and longer.

I then woke up. Fairly anti-climatic, but strange that I am still thinking that nicotine and the dipping process helps my anxiety.  We are never cured. 

oldschool.

--- End quote ---

You just never know when that nic biotch will sneak up on you and tap you on the shoulder.

oldschool:
1061. Quit. Free. Here.

I had an interesting dip dream last night; this was the first dream where I did not actually put the crap in my mouth. I was in a social setting, and I could feel my anxiety taking control. That anxiety was fueling an intense crave. I felt a can in my pocket. I reached in and felt a can of dip.

It was the can of dip that was strange. It had a heavy, metallic, solid feel to it. Like the can was special; a can of dip with importance. The crave became more and more intense. I kept reaching for and holding that can longer and longer.

I then woke up. Fairly anti-climatic, but strange that I am still thinking that nicotine and the dipping process helps my anxiety.  We are never cured. 

oldschool.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version