Author Topic: Quit day 6 for me  (Read 55404 times)

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
Quit day 6 for me
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
OK, here we go, I've been using some form of tobacco for about 35 years. In the early days I was a "social" user. A cigarette or two at a happy hour or a few dips on a camping/fishing trip, that sort of thing. I'm a white collar worker and I didn't want anyone to know I used tobacco so I'd use after work or on weekends by myself. There are only a few close friends who even know I still messed with this stuff. Certainly not family members.

Anyway, things got worse about nine years ago. My office was closed and I started working from home where I could use tobacco all day long without anyone knowing about it. Recently the preferred tobacco has been Copenhagen long cut as for some reason Copenhagen snuff started to make me gag. I stopped smoking cigarettes in 2008 as I had developed this odd involuntary need to catch my breath every now and then. That reflex has gone away, thank God.

I've known for a while now that I need to stop. The hygienist at my dentist's office has mentioned my receding gums the last few visits. The cost of this stuff keeps going up and up as well, with more taxes on the way apparently. It was 75 cents a can for chew when I first started and now it is over 4 dollars. I may have been able to retire a few years ago had I never started down this awful path.

I've quit tobacco before and in the past I was fine after 3 days. This time however I must have been more addicted to the nicotine than I knew. After 2 or 3 days without chew my tongue and lower lip started feeling numb. That is when I found this website. I had no idea how many issues folks have with recovery from this addiction. I have a lot of brain fog and cold sweats out of the blue.

But I can't wait until day 7 because I am going to beat this addiction this time... B)B

Offline Stranger999

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 09/05/2015
  • Interests: Taking that first breath every morning before I post roll again.... Family, Philadelphia Eagles football, music, computers, solving puzzles of all sorts
  • Likes Given: 244
Quit day 6 for me
« on: September 22, 2018, 01:03:47 AM »
I used some form of tobacco for about 35 years until I decided to quit on Labor Day weekend in 2015.  After 3 or 4 days without nicotine my mouth and jaw went numb and I started searching the internet to figure out why.  The internet led me here and I've learned to quit and stay quit by simply posting my promise and keeping that promise, every damn day.  There were a lot of great quitters before me who helped me a lot and still help me today.  My advice is to be active here and build a support chain that you can rely on.   8)