Author Topic: I'm Back. I'm Dumb.  (Read 75615 times)

Offline allec

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I'm back
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Quote from: wastepanel
Quote from: Scowick65
I am 22 days into my quit.

I know that I held onto depression as a crutch prior to quitting.  However, it still bugs me that I was never able to get a true answer on this subject.

My last stoppage was from September 2006-October 2009.  I battled depression throughout the quit.  I had never dealt with it before.  It was the worst in January in January 2007.

Is this normal?

I know many people here have used some sort of anti-depressant at the beginning of a quit.  Has anybody experienced depression far into a quit, and had it linked to the quit?  Anybody go on anti-depressants post quit (post hof) even if it was unrelated?
My funks were depression. I run quit a bit and it helps me stay cheerful. I also make a point to list things I am thankful for.

I have never taken any medication. Me thinks depression and long term quitting are unrelated. Just an opinion.
I ran too.

I went from couch to running a half marathon in May 2008.

Thanks for the input!
I've been quit a bit over 500 days. I was depressed the first 400 or so. Gained 10 lbs, did not go on anti-depressants.

A bit after Day 400, I cleaned up my diet. Cut out starches and refined sugar, and started exercising at high intensity. I lost about 15 lbs and am still losing, and I'm no longer depressed.

I am not a doctor, so I can't say if quitting and depression are linked. But I do know for me that simple carbohydrates and depression are probably linked.

Offline Greg5280

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • BONAFIDE QUIT BEAST
  • Quit Date: 10-30-2009
  • Interests: Golf, Running, Cycling, Being outside, Spending time with my family. Quitting and helping newbies.
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Quote from: jmiah
Quote from: Aglawyer
I was just telling someone how I want to avoid being a statistic (quitters of nicotine ALWAYS gain weight). I'm 14 days quit and eat so many damn sun flower seeds that by dinner time I'm rarely hungry and feel bloated as shit.  All that sodium is another problem.
I watched this movie last night. (It's free on netflix instant watch if you have that). I used to be someone who was in great shape, an athlete if you will and I truly want to get back to that form. I'm not grossly overweight but on my small frame I could stand to lose 20-40 pounds. I lost weight with P90X in the past and got back in great shape but my diet was not good enough to keep me healthy. I actually ate too few calories. Anyway, this movie was fantastic if you give it a chance and sparked some ideas for me.

jmiah

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
Fiirst off... 14 days is HUGE. Congrats on that.

Do not worry about gaining weight, it is a normal part of quitting. I gained about 20 lbs early in my quit. Quitting is the most important thing you can do right now. When you get more comfortable with your quit you can work on the weight. When you are ready start by walking a bit each night. Exercise is a great way to kill craves, reduce anxiety, and get some sleep.

Focus on quitting for now...You will get the weight off soon enough.

Offline jmiah

• Quitter
  • Interests: Baseball, hiking, working out (usually), my wife, and my awesome dog, Gunner.
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Quote from: Aglawyer
I was just telling someone how I want to avoid being a statistic (quitters of nicotine ALWAYS gain weight). I'm 14 days quit and eat so many damn sun flower seeds that by dinner time I'm rarely hungry and feel bloated as shit. All that sodium is another problem.
I watched this movie last night. (It's free on netflix instant watch if you have that). I used to be someone who was in great shape, an athlete if you will and I truly want to get back to that form. I'm not grossly overweight but on my small frame I could stand to lose 20-40 pounds. I lost weight with P90X in the past and got back in great shape but my diet was not good enough to keep me healthy. I actually ate too few calories. Anyway, this movie was fantastic if you give it a chance and sparked some ideas for me.

jmiah

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
candor dat viribus alas
Sincerity gives wings to strength.

Offline AgLawyer

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Travelin, hikin, liftin and quittin
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I was just telling someone how I want to avoid being a statistic (quitters of nicotine ALWAYS gain weight). I'm 14 days quit and eat so many damn sun flower seeds that by dinner time I'm rarely hungry and feel bloated as shit. All that sodium is another problem.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Quote from: gmann
I've heard some say this app helps:

http://www.loseit.com/
Yeah. I saw that Big D was using it and downloaded it to use.

I watched myself eat 1500-1800 for 5 days, and 4,500 on Saturday.

The site itself doesn't have a forum, but it has a signup for friends.
In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

To overcome your addiction you must comprehend what it means to fail-Razd 3/12

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

I want everyone to be quit. Even the assholes.-Probe1957 1/18

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I've heard some say this app helps:

http://www.loseit.com/

Offline tazmed

• Quitter
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
It's been a major rough patch for October. The 40 day guys have hit the funk, and I feel like the 20 somethings have been left to deal with their 20 funk.

I remember the 20s funk as pure hatred of this site. I liked roll, but I became quite sick of the bullshit of quitting. I think it was mainly because I had been through my personal struggles and was now faced with a bunch of guys just starting a quit. I felt overwhelmed. My adreniline had worn out, and I wanted to leave the site.

I did not. And I am glad I stayed. I was quiet for a while, and just posted roll.

I'm now on 43 and there's a wierd funkage going on here. My body feels like it's back in the first week. My jaw is hurting again. I grounded myself this previous weekend so that I wouldn't find myself in a position to cave. I just wasn't strong enough to deal the opportunity if it presented itself.

It's starting to pass, and I'm forcing it out. I've decided to write down these feelings a little more as to let some others know that they aren't alone.

I'm pissed because I realize that I treat food and eating like I treat addiction: I have a problem. I ran a half marathon in mid 2008. I weighed 225 pounds. I stayed in the 230s until last year. I've ballooned up to 270 pounds. The thing that pisses me off is that I can still run. I can still do 3 miles pretty easy, and 5 if pushed. I would run more, but I am training for relay in October and I don't want to overtrain (and that's kind of a moot point. This is a step down week consisting of 3 days of 2 miles and cross training. Next week 3-4-5 milers and cross training.). I think I'm going to start P-90X with the training.

I've been counting my calories eaten, but I attack this problem like some very unsuccessful quitters we've seen: I keep the calories in reason for 3-5 days, and I blow it apart for couple. Rinse and repeat. I'd be Captain Caveman of this world.

I see that we have a bettering oneself thread, but it looks like it's a post over a course of time thread. I need a thread dedicated simply to proper eating habits. I need the accountability like this site provides to keep me motivated. I'm thinking about starting a thread here on the "Introductions" for this purpose, because I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It's a struggle some days. It's wonderful others. Thanks for all the support here.
You're not alone WP. Today is day 50 for me and I've put on 10 pounds in that time. Last week I met with our "Health Promotions" people to see about getting on a weight loss program. I told her about KTC and my quit, and about how I've replaced Copenhagen with food. She put me on a moderate program of exercise and healthy eating, and like you I do good for a couple days and then chow down a bag of Dorito's.

I like the idea of a healthy eating/weight loss board. Let's make it happen. 'archer'

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
It's a struggle some days. It's wonderful others. Thanks for all the support here.
That about sums it up. I had additional funks. I remember one in the 70s and one around 120. None since. The good new is they do become infrequent as time passes. I am so glad I am quit. I never forget that. Fuck nic. Once you get used to not having you realize how bogus it really is.

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
It's been a major rough patch for October. The 40 day guys have hit the funk, and I feel like the 20 somethings have been left to deal with their 20 funk.

I remember the 20s funk as pure hatred of this site. I liked roll, but I became quite sick of the bullshit of quitting. I think it was mainly because I had been through my personal struggles and was now faced with a bunch of guys just starting a quit. I felt overwhelmed. My adreniline had worn out, and I wanted to leave the site.

I did not. And I am glad I stayed. I was quiet for a while, and just posted roll.

I'm now on 43 and there's a wierd funkage going on here. My body feels like it's back in the first week. My jaw is hurting again. I grounded myself this previous weekend so that I wouldn't find myself in a position to cave. I just wasn't strong enough to deal the opportunity if it presented itself.

It's starting to pass, and I'm forcing it out. I've decided to write down these feelings a little more as to let some others know that they aren't alone.

I'm pissed because I realize that I treat food and eating like I treat addiction: I have a problem. I ran a half marathon in mid 2008. I weighed 225 pounds. I stayed in the 230s until last year. I've ballooned up to 270 pounds. The thing that pisses me off is that I can still run. I can still do 3 miles pretty easy, and 5 if pushed. I would run more, but I am training for relay in October and I don't want to overtrain (and that's kind of a moot point. This is a step down week consisting of 3 days of 2 miles and cross training. Next week 3-4-5 milers and cross training.). I think I'm going to start P-90X with the training.

I've been counting my calories eaten, but I attack this problem like some very unsuccessful quitters we've seen: I keep the calories in reason for 3-5 days, and I blow it apart for couple. Rinse and repeat. I'd be Captain Caveman of this world.

I see that we have a bettering oneself thread, but it looks like it's a post over a course of time thread. I need a thread dedicated simply to proper eating habits. I need the accountability like this site provides to keep me motivated. I'm thinking about starting a thread here on the "Introductions" for this purpose, because I'm sure I'm not the only one.

In the end I Surrender, I and I alone accept that I have and always will have a Nicotene ADDICTION. It is my choice to quit, but I can't do it alone. I get to go down this path one time, I want to do it right. I recognize that my word, my integrety to you is on the line and is only as good as my actions. Caving is not an option in this plan-Eafman 7/11

I am not cured. I will quit one day at a time. I will continue to do what works. Posting roll everyday. To do otherwise would be foolish on my part. You can do this-Ready 12/11

Theres a lot of people that come here, especially vets, that WANT to be reminded that they are addicts.-Tarpon 6/12

Just as a building starts with architectural drawings. Your daily quit begins with a promise.-Scowick 2/13

Here and now, focused on today, minute by minute, whatever it takes, I promise to all my bros and myself not to become a negative stat and stay quit!-krok 1/15

Ignoring history or erasing history fixes nothing and leads you inevitably down the same path.-69franx 04/30/2021

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Quote from: Scowick65

I know that I held onto depression as a crutch prior to quitting.  However, it still bugs me that I was never able to get a true answer on this subject.

My last stoppage was from September 2006-October 2009.  I battled depression throughout the quit.  I had never dealt with it before.  It was the worst in January in January 2007.

Is this normal?

I know many people here have used some sort of anti-depressant at the beginning of a quit.  Has anybody experienced depression far into a quit, and had it linked to the quit?  Anybody go on anti-depressants post quit (post hof) even if it was unrelated?
My funks were depression. I run quit a bit and it helps me stay cheerful. I also make a point to list things I am thankful for.

I have never taken any medication. Me thinks depression and long term quitting are unrelated. Just an opinion.
I ran too.

I went from couch to running a half marathon in May 2008.

Thanks for the input!

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »

I know that I held onto depression as a crutch prior to quitting. However, it still bugs me that I was never able to get a true answer on this subject.

My last stoppage was from September 2006-October 2009. I battled depression throughout the quit. I had never dealt with it before. It was the worst in January in January 2007.

Is this normal?

I know many people here have used some sort of anti-depressant at the beginning of a quit. Has anybody experienced depression far into a quit, and had it linked to the quit? Anybody go on anti-depressants post quit (post hof) even if it was unrelated?

Offline wastepanel

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Fuck you guys.
    • Scaretissue.com
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »

I know that I held onto depression as a crutch prior to quitting. However, it still bugs me that I was never able to get a true answer on this subject.

My last stoppage was from September 2006-October 2009. I battled depression throughout the quit. I had never dealt with it before. It was the worst in January in January 2007.

Is this normal?

I know many people here have used some sort of anti-depressant at the beginning of a quit. Has anybody experienced depression far into a quit, and had it linked to the quit? Anybody go on anti-depressants post quit (post hof) even if it was unrelated?

Offline LLCope

• Quitter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Welcome back to the fight! You fucked up and now you can quit for good--one day at a time.

PM me if you need anything

Peace
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without" HD Thoreau

Offline rebeldog

• Quit Pro
    • www.youtube.com
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Quote from: jost2brown
Quote from: rebeldog
Quote from: jaygib
Fuck you and Fuck Ohio!
jaygib, truer words have never been spoken. I think I'm in love in a no-homo kind of way.
It's just since I've been on this site that I'm warming up to anything Ohio because of many quitters here (from there). My first boss was a transplant from Ohio and she was a cross between Nurse Ratchet and Coach Balbricker so please understand my inital distain for all that is Ohio. I believe I'm current on my tetanus :blink: shot so I could probably visit the rust belt if needed.
Id say something about texas but its too damn difficult to bust out the translator on the phone. Get my drift compadre? Ci?

Go Bucks!
Ohio, whatever.
You will never grow taller than when you stoop to help a brother. - The Varlet

Offline J2b

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
    • May 11
  • Quit Date: 01/23/2011
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Quote from: rebeldog
Quote from: jaygib
Fuck you and Fuck Ohio!
jaygib, truer words have never been spoken. I think I'm in love in a no-homo kind of way.
It's just since I've been on this site that I'm warming up to anything Ohio because of many quitters here (from there). My first boss was a transplant from Ohio and she was a cross between Nurse Ratchet and Coach Balbricker so please understand my inital distain for all that is Ohio. I believe I'm current on my tetanus :blink: shot so I could probably visit the rust belt if needed.
Id say something about texas but its too damn difficult to bust out the translator on the phone. Get my drift compadre? Ci?

Go Bucks!
The problem is not the problem.  The problem is your attitude about the problem.  Do you understand?

Draw Fire

If its too much trouble to post roll call, you could always fuck off.

Quit Group: May 11 3 Balled Quitters

• Quit: 01/23/11