Author Topic: * Brandgris's HOF Speech  (Read 2082 times)

Offline brandgris

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 9/10/2018
  • Likes Given: 7
* Brandgris's HOF Speech
« on: December 18, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
My name is Brandon (aka Brandgris).  I reside in Colorado Springs, Colorado where I've been for the last 21 years.  I had not really come into contact with dipping until I moved to Omaha, Ne.  when I was 19 from California.  I remember that dipping was really prevalent in Omaha, seemed like every guy my age at the time was doing it.  After sometime living there, my curiosity finally got the better of me and I asked my best friend at the time for a pinch of Skoal Straight to try.  After that dip, I became addicted to nicotine for the next 23 years of my life.  I would smoke here and there but dipping was definitely my preference.  I had tried countless times over the years to quit without success.

As a Respiratory Therapist for over the last 21 years, I would've thought I would have able to quit dipping before 09/10/18 after 23 years since I had started.  Especially, since a significant portion of my job is caring for patients that have or are struggling with smoking cigarettes.  I've always felt so much guilt and shame when I've educated patients on the risks of smoking and the devastation it can cause to the lungs.  Not to mention, I routinely would put a dip in my lip during all my breaks all these years, therefore, I became a professional, "Ninja dipper."  But the hypocrisy obviously was not enough keep me from dipping for 23 years of my life.  My point here is, as most of us addicts know, is that the the power of nicotine is undeniable.

I think the most difficult part for me all these years is all the empty promises of quitting to my family, especially my children, Demi and Elijah.  It must've been so hard on them after so many times of me going back to that shit!  Nicotine I am sad to to say, would come before my family to often throughout the years.  I would always take the extra long way home from work, just to have that Copenhagen pouch in my lip as long as possible, when I really should've been taking the fastest route to get home to see my kids as soon as I could.  Dipping is such a selfish habit.

After fooling myself all these years, thinking I could quit dipping by myself, I feel so grateful and blessed to have found the KTC community.  I really believe KTC has saved my life.  I could not be quit for 100 days today without all you awesome quitters on KTC.  The testimonials on KTC help me get through each day nicotine - free.  A special thanks to NoMark (Mark), Copequits (Aaron), Nick T (Nick), and Copenhagen (Josh) for welcoming me so warmly and reaching out to me with their digits.  I also need to give credit to my DipQuit APP brothers because that's where I started my quit, couldn't have made it 100 days without all of you.  Thank you for taking the time to read my HOF Speech.  Post each and everyday and never be complacent all you badass quitters!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:20:49 AM by chewie »
Everyday is a school day.