Author Topic: Goodbye Copenhagen - BBQchips  (Read 10552 times)

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2077
Re: Goodbye Copenhagen - BBQchips
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
1,000 days in the rearview;

I realized just how long it has been since I stroked an entry here and felt today was a good day to do so. I would be lying if I said I ever knew for certain I could make it 1,000 days without nicotine. There are just so many unknowns and although my resolve to beat the addiction to nicotine seems absolute, 1,000 always seemed like an extreme aspiration in the early days of my quit.  The early days of the quit are intense and occupy most of your attention. The physical withdrawals, the emotional ups and downs, and the sickening attachment to that evil chemical force you to stay engaged. Thankfully I stumbled upon KTC and all my brothers and sisters in quit that got me over the wall of the first 100 days.  Although the intensity and difficulty of those 100 days (and a good chunk after) were among the hardest in my life, it is the comradery and people of KTC that made it bearable and lifted me up countless times. To this day, I consider this quit and milestone to be among the hardest I have had to endure, and I say that over a brain tumor and the road back from brain surgery.

It is after you get that day count to the three hundred mark and beyond that complacency starts to creep in. The early days of being in the trenches have faded, and the physical pull of the addiction is not as prevalent. Dip and your quit are no longer the front and center focus of your day-to-day (or hour to hour) existence, thank God! So there is more room to forget or run on autopilot. I think that is OK to some extent, however after hitting 1,000 days, a mark that again always seemed so far off in the future, that I reflected back on the rough and winding road with my wife and wanted to record it here.

Never forget;
  • The nights waiting for my family to fall asleep so I could throw a dip in my mouth and whisper sweet nothings in my ear. Staying up well past useful hours with nicotine coursing through my body and wreaking havoc. I now relish the extra time with my kids and do not have this voice in my head telling me "they should all go to sleep so we can watch TV/play video games with a Copenhagen in".

How my anxiety could never be addressed properly because I realized dipping was a quick fix band-aid I had used over 20-years to avoid hard truths. It prevented me from personal growth and from ever being truly present in the moment EVER, as dip would inevitably become a thought eventually. I now can try to grow a meditation and mindfulness practice instead that was never possible before.

Needing to take breaks at work to drive around pointlessly so I could dip mid-day, losing productive hours of work.

The swollen gums, yellow teeth, bad breath and FEAR of the dentist visit.

The vast sums of money wasted. If you break it down to how many hours you need to work a job (in many cases that stresses you out already) to then buy obscene amounts of a product that is only intended to get you addicted for life, ultimately killing you slowly, it is extremely depressing.

The fear of not having enough dip around on a vacation to a tropical paradise being a focus, rather than enjoying the limited time you have there with loved ones.

Being a slave to something so stupid.

That our days here are never guaranteed. To spend so much thought, time, money and our lives on this chemical is a serious injustice to ourselves and those that care about us. Be here now.

Great stuff brother. You should post this in the comma club. Will get it approved ASAP
Taken care of
Jan19

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Do I have your attention now? Quit date 08/01/17
  • Likes Given: 8865
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2021, 12:35:08 AM »

I realized just how long it has been since I stroked an entry here and felt today was a good day to do so. I would be lying if I said I ever knew for certain I could make it 1,000 days without nicotine. There are just so many unknowns and although my resolve to beat the addiction to nicotine seems absolute, 1,000 always seemed like an extreme aspiration in the early days of my quit.  The early days of the quit are intense and occupy most of your attention. The physical withdrawals, the emotional ups and downs, and the sickening attachment to that evil chemical force you to stay engaged. Thankfully I stumbled upon KTC and all my brothers and sisters in quit that got me over the wall of the first 100 days.  Although the intensity and difficulty of those 100 days (and a good chunk after) were among the hardest in my life, it is the comradery and people of KTC that made it bearable and lifted me up countless times. To this day, I consider this quit and milestone to be among the hardest I have had to endure, and I say that over a brain tumor and the road back from brain surgery.

It is after you get that day count to the three hundred mark and beyond that complacency starts to creep in. The early days of being in the trenches have faded, and the physical pull of the addiction is not as prevalent. Dip and your quit are no longer the front and center focus of your day-to-day (or hour to hour) existence, thank God! So there is more room to forget or run on autopilot. I think that is OK to some extent, however after hitting 1,000 days, a mark that again always seemed so far off in the future, that I reflected back on the rough and winding road with my wife and wanted to record it here.

Never forget;
  • The nights waiting for my family to fall asleep so I could throw a dip in my mouth and whisper sweet nothings in my ear. Staying up well past useful hours with nicotine coursing through my body and wreaking havoc. I now relish the extra time with my kids and do not have this voice in my head telling me "they should all go to sleep so we can watch TV/play video games with a Copenhagen in".

How my anxiety could never be addressed properly because I realized dipping was a quick fix band-aid I had used over 20-years to avoid hard truths. It prevented me from personal growth and from ever being truly present in the moment EVER, as dip would inevitably become a thought eventually. I now can try to grow a meditation and mindfulness practice instead that was never possible before.

Needing to take breaks at work to drive around pointlessly so I could dip mid-day, losing productive hours of work.

The vast sums of money wasted. If you break it down to how many hours you need to work a job (in many cases that stresses you out already) to then buy obscene amounts of a product that is only intended to get you addicted for life, ultimately killing you slowly, it is extremely depressing.

The fear of not having enough dip around on a vacation to a tropical paradise being a focus, rather than enjoying the limited time you have there with loved ones.

That our days here are never guaranteed. To spend so much thought, time, money and our lives on this chemical is a serious injustice to ourselves and those that care about us. Be here now.

Great stuff brother. You should post this in the comma club. Will get it approved ASAP
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech
How long have I been quit?

I brew the beer I drink, what's your superpower?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2021, 03:59:01 PM »
Huge congrats brother on your comma day. Thank you for your daily support. Keep being the badass quitter that you are! Here's to the next 1,000!
Madd respect Mr. Chips! 8)
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Slather on the quit sauce
  • Quit Date: June 28, 2018
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, skiing, hockey, reading, video games
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2021, 12:54:25 PM »

Never forget;

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills."

HOF Speech -A lot has happened

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2021, 10:28:29 AM »
Huge congrats brother on your comma day. Thank you for your daily support. Keep being the badass quitter that you are! Here's to the next 1,000!

This dude is the definition of brotherhood. Soak up the big win today, bro!
Is @BBQchips not even reading up on his own intro on his comma day?

@69franx appreciate the support and brotherhood each day (and yes was a little slow in the responses)  'party2'
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2021, 09:47:39 PM »

Is @BBQchips not even reading up on his own intro on his comma day?
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech

HOF: 11/08/17     2nd Floor: 02/16/18     3rd Floor: 05/27/18     1st trip around the sun: 07/31/18     4th Floor: 09/04/18     5th floor: 12/13/18     6th floor: 03/23/2019     7th floor: 07/01/19     2nd trip around the sun: 07/31/19     8th floor: 10/09/19     9th floor: 01/17/20     Comma Day: 04/26/2020     3rd trip around the sun: 08/01/2020     11th floor: 08/04/2020     12th Floor: 11/12/2020     13th floor: 02/20/2021     14th floor: 05/31/2021

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2021, 08:56:44 PM »

Offline 69franx

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2021, 10:27:12 AM »
ABQ= Always Be Quitting

My Intro
My HOF Speech

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1652
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »
Anyone seen Hundy? I heart BBQChips ate him. That's right, BBQChips ate Hundy!
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline quitNWinay

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 7/18/2018, and every fuckin day ever since!
  • Likes Given: 498
Re: Goodbye Copenhagen
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2018, 01:15:00 AM »
Great work BBQ! Good to see you hanging in tight! Proud to quit with you EDD ODAAT!
I am a caver...

Can't quit quitting!

Proud member of October 2018 Quit Group

Best soothing music when anxiety hits you hard - https://youtu.be/WFrAB5nBbNY

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 11:07:00 PM »
Quote from: BBQchips
Day 75;

Three quarters of the way until the HOF and felt it was a time to journal an update. ItÂ’s been far more up and down than I ever thought it would be post the 50 day mark. Mood swings are still prevalent but IÂ’ve gotten better at recognizing them earlier and correcting myself than I did early in the quit. IÂ’m thankful for my wife being understanding and having patience. IÂ’m really glad I decided to make her a part of this quit along with my KTC partners as she strengthens this for me, along with my kids. No more living the ninja life. Going to try to practice more with meditation and mindfulness to further improve on keeping the swings in check and also to help curb craves.

Fog is still very much a problem and canÂ’t wait for this nonsense to go away. Still hard to concentrate at work and energy ebbs and flows. I know I need to improve my diet and exercise more but right now IÂ’m just clawing my way to try to get to 100 days and a more secure place in my quit before I do something crazy like cutting sugar or carbs or god forbid coffee. Shows me I have an addictive personality in more than just nicotine that thanks to KTC I now am more aware of and can try to curb.

Tried Smokey mountain as well since I just spent a week in the mountains with my brother and dad who both dip. It did the trick nicely and would definitely lean on it again if the craves strike.

HereÂ’s to hoping the next 25 days pass quickly and are more calm. ODAAT and just all the more reason to never cave again. Hate nicotine and hate this roller coaster.
ThatÂ’s exactly how itÂ’s done! You are using the tools youÂ’ve learned at Ktc. You realize this is not going to happen over night. ThereÂ’s no magic number that says alright IÂ’m cured. We will always be addicts 1,100,1000. Keep learning and leaning on KTC ODAAT!
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
Day 75;

Three quarters of the way until the HOF and felt it was a time to journal an update. ItÂ’s been far more up and down than I ever thought it would be post the 50 day mark. Mood swings are still prevalent but IÂ’ve gotten better at recognizing them earlier and correcting myself than I did early in the quit. IÂ’m thankful for my wife being understanding and having patience. IÂ’m really glad I decided to make her a part of this quit along with my KTC partners as she strengthens this for me, along with my kids. No more living the ninja life. Going to try to practice more with meditation and mindfulness to further improve on keeping the swings in check and also to help curb craves.

Fog is still very much a problem and canÂ’t wait for this nonsense to go away. Still hard to concentrate at work and energy ebbs and flows. I know I need to improve my diet and exercise more but right now IÂ’m just clawing my way to try to get to 100 days and a more secure place in my quit before I do something crazy like cutting sugar or carbs or god forbid coffee. Shows me I have an addictive personality in more than just nicotine that thanks to KTC I now am more aware of and can try to curb.

Tried Smokey mountain as well since I just spent a week in the mountains with my brother and dad who both dip. It did the trick nicely and would definitely lean on it again if the craves strike.

HereÂ’s to hoping the next 25 days pass quickly and are more calm. ODAAT and just all the more reason to never cave again. Hate nicotine and hate this roller coaster.

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 07:24:00 PM »
DAY 237

Officially now into unchartered quit waters. Never been quit this long, never felt this strong in my quit. KTC works people, I continue to feel gratitude and honor towards a complete set of strangers who help save my life one day at a time. Thanks KTC

PS keep working your journal, I did not start until Day 70....really didn't get intimate with site until then.....you are far in front of me at this point in your quit.....at this point, it's all mind games and you have all the tool to defeat her

Offline Steakbomb18

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/13/2013
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2018, 08:01:00 AM »
Quote from: BBQchips
Update on the 62 day mark (close to 9 weeks quit);

I can honestly say I would not have imagined the roller coaster of the last few weeks. I had envisioned that after the Half-HOF the physical stuff was done and I would be more steady at this point. Vets had warned us of the 60 day retreat, but it still took me by surprise. Ton's of ups and downs emotionally where I felt on top of the world, best BAQ ever and will never think about Copenhagen ever again. Then the next hour I was getting craves again! Fog has also set in again from time to time but I have a much better equipped tool kit now than I did when I initially joined KTC. WUPP, drinking water, exercise (although I need to lose weight after all the candy consumption), texting with Rawktober and vets, SSOA tracking and being on the forum all get me thru and I know ODAAT. Ready for the next wave but they have been getting better slowly but surely.

Crazy journey. Just wanted to make sure I documented the post Half-HOF doldrums. I never want to go thru this again.
^^^This.

That is how you quit and that is being quit. Another huge victory brother
Certified Grade A Badass

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
Update on the 62 day mark (close to 9 weeks quit);

I can honestly say I would not have imagined the roller coaster of the last few weeks. I had envisioned that after the Half-HOF the physical stuff was done and I would be more steady at this point. Vets had warned us of the 60 day retreat, but it still took me by surprise. Ton's of ups and downs emotionally where I felt on top of the world, best BAQ ever and will never think about Copenhagen ever again. Then the next hour I was getting craves again! Fog has also set in again from time to time but I have a much better equipped tool kit now than I did when I initially joined KTC. WUPP, drinking water, exercise (although I need to lose weight after all the candy consumption), texting with Rawktober and vets, SSOA tracking and being on the forum all get me thru and I know ODAAT. Ready for the next wave but they have been getting better slowly but surely.

Crazy journey. Just wanted to make sure I documented the post Half-HOF doldrums. I never want to go thru this again.