Author Topic: First time quitting in 9 years  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Aggies94

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitter
  • Likes Given: 278
Re: First time quitting in 9 years
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 08:52:05 PM »
I am now just over day 1 of my quit.
I managed to quit for a few months 9 years ago, but fell back into it after getting stressed by something ( can't remember what ) in school. Now, almost a decade later of a 2 can/week habit, I'm calling quits.

I now have a 4 month old son, married for two years, and despite all that, the motivation to quit came from my employer enacting a $40/paycheck fee for anyone not tobacco free.

I hope I'm prepared to be successful this time. Much of my addiction is tied to an oral fix, so sunflower seeds, snacks, Smokey Mountain, and Grinds have been helping.

The biggest struggle so far has been filling the void of the tingle. Smokey Mountain somehow gives that sensation, and has been helping.

I've been finding myself standing toe to toe with my inner asshole, as I find myself being more irritable, short tempered, and frustrated by work.  My biggest fear is losing control of my emotions during the coming days and lashing out at a family or a co-worker.
I'm here for the long haul, I just need to tear off the rear-view mirror.
Be strong kg! You can do this. Welcome to the February 2021 group!
It ain't dying I'm talking about, it's living!

Offline Keith0617

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: October 5, 2018
  • Likes Given: 2128
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »
I managed to quit for a few months 9 years ago, but fell back into it after getting stressed by something ( can't remember what ) in school. Now, almost a decade later of a 2 can/week habit, I'm calling quits.

I now have a 4 month old son, married for two years, and despite all that, the motivation to quit came from my employer enacting a $40/paycheck fee for anyone not tobacco free.

I hope I'm prepared to be successful this time. Much of my addiction is tied to an oral fix, so sunflower seeds, snacks, Smokey Mountain, and Grinds have been helping.

The biggest struggle so far has been filling the void of the tingle. Smokey Mountain somehow gives that sensation, and has been helping.

I've been finding myself standing toe to toe with my inner asshole, as I find myself being more irritable, short tempered, and frustrated by work.  My biggest fear is losing control of my emotions during the coming days and lashing out at a family or a co-worker.
You are in the right place.  A couple thoughts:

Drink lots of water (it helps wash the nicotine out of your system)
Ask lots of questions, get to know your fellow quitters, together this is easier
Bring all rage here.  We are all quitters.  We understand. 

You can do this.  One day at a time.  ODAAT
Glad a to see you posting roll @kg88 . Let me share a few concerns with you. I’m not convinced you actually want to quit. Until you really want to quit, it will be a challenge to be successful.  You need to want to quit because you want all the great benefits of quitting, not to save $40 a check. I know I never gave a shit about $40. Also, you didn’t quit 9 years ago. You had a stoppage. Huge difference.

With that being said, here are a few suggestions to help. Focus on quitting one day at a time. Worry about today. We will deal with tomorrow when it gets here. Use your substitutes as needed. Take a few short walks spread out over the day. Get some extra rest - your body was used to getting a shot of adrenaline from the nicotine. The extra rest will help in multiple ways. Make connections with other quitters. We all failed on our own. Reach out to other quitters and exchange digits only through personal messages. Those connections will be priceless when times are hard. Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help. We all need help to succeed. If your attitude is in the right place, you can do this and we are here to help. Reach out if I can be of assistance.   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:01:51 PM by Keith0617 »
Jan19

Offline Nomore1959

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 10:25:29 PM »

You are in the right place.  A couple thoughts:

Drink lots of water (it helps wash the nicotine out of your system)
Ask lots of questions, get to know your fellow quitters, together this is easier
Bring all rage here.  We are all quitters.  We understand. 

You can do this.  One day at a time.  ODAAT

Offline kg88

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 21
First time quitting in 9 years
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:57:46 PM »