Author Topic: Finally decided its time  (Read 427 times)

Offline HKS

• Quitter
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Finally decided its time
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
First of all, thank you for all that you have done and sacrificed. People, places, and things that can hurt my recovery............very hard when you are surrounded by other "users". Do the best you can and be prepared to redefine yourself............no one is asking you to abandon your friends, but you do have to decide what is in your best interests. How can you work with these folks and also stay quit. God knows you will have cravings or triggers when working with them but not acting on them is your priority. God bless and good luck. Stay connected to the KTC board and make connections.

Offline andrew

• Quitter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
As a fellow servicemember I can say that quitting is hard when you are surrounded by people who are constatly chewing, dipping, or smoking. It's rough, but you can do it!

There are other options around you, like tobacco cessation support groups on your post. I know they have them, it's up to you if you want to use them.

After about a week your mindset will change a little bit. I never understood why people thought my addiction was "gross" until recently when I see a guy carrying around a brown bottle with his body fluids in it. It IS gross.

One thing I did decide, though, was not to quit for anyone else but myself. In the end it all comes down to you and your precious can of dip or bag of chew, and that's the only relationship that will be on your brain for the most part when you start quitting. The dip can is a whore, she's no good, you can throw her out right now and be better off. Keep that image in mind, and stay strong, you'll make it!
QUIT 01/03/11
HOF 04/12/11

THIS IS YOUR DAY TO BE QUIT.

Offline redyota

• Master of Quit
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I understand your fear and your current mindset. I get that you're worried that you are not able to do this. I'm here to tell you that you can.

As those below have stated, it really is only one simple thing that you must do. That thing is to not put any more nicotine in your body. No reason to hope or try, that part is entirely up to you. I mean, is there someone you know that would try (and be able to) hold you down and put a dip in your mouth? I didn't think so.

Now that we have determined that its simple, lets look at the difficult side. You will get in a foggy state. It will pass. You will get angry. It will pass. You will have trouble sleeping (although with twins you may not notice.) It will pass. Eventually you'll feel like you have this beat forever. That too shall pass (along the way you'll realize why that's a good thing.)

I wish there was some way to have new quitters like yourself spend one day in my shoes, looking back at the addiction I'm beating, rather than looking forward at the fear of challenging it. One day of feeling so much better than you ever knew was possible. One day of KNOWING that you can and will win. If you could feel that, you would realize that there are no symptoms of quitting that you couldn't outlast. You would know that it is worth it in more ways than you can begin to imagine.

Unfortunately, the hellish part must come first. You gotta outlast the pain before you get the prize. The best I can say is "Trust me."

You CAN do this this. Will you? (And yes, that question is answerable today.)

We're here to help, so shout out if you ever need anything.
"We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Sir Winston Churchill

"Not using gets much easier as time goes by, but the consequences of "just one" never lessen." - Me

Offline One2ManyCans

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Its like you, yes im doing it for them, but im also doing it because im ready. its like i said i spent 6 months making the decision and finally said im ready and i want to. SO yes im doing it for them but more importantly, in my eyes at least, im doing it for myself which will change their lives just as much as it will change mine.

Offline ncgolfer

• Quitter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Quote from: One2ManyCans
So today i was sitting here with my pregnant wife after we had put our 2 beautiful twins away and decided that im done. after thinking about it for over 6 months i have finally decided to commit and quit. Is there anything anyone would recommend to help me through these first couple of days and this first weekend as i am in the navy and most of my friends chew. im hoping with this kind of support as well as that of my family i can get rid of this habit and move on with a healthier happier future with my wife and kids.
Welcome to the quit, You have made a great decision for yourself. First of all there is no hopefully, just doing. Make your promise to not use today, Keep your Promise, Do it again tomorrow. As far as getting through the first few days, Stay close to this site if you can, post or chat to keep going. You need to focus on the quit by the Minute, Hour, and then Day. I spent my first day driving around looking for someone that carried fake dip, which kept my mind off it. Use the fake stuff, eat seeds, anything but nicotine. I found some plastic toothpicks that I always have with me. They are in the toothbush section at the pharmacy, try them. Remember and embrace what you are feeling now, and stay quit and you will never have to go through it again.
Quit Date - 12/17/2010
Hall of Fame - 03/26/2011
Hall of Fame Speech - http://forum.killthecan.org/index.php?showtopic=4546

Offline Maverick55

• Quitter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Hey 12many - I posted this a little earlier in my Feb Quit group - but frankly it expresses my response to your intro:
Wow... I have a 6 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. I know we preach that you quit for you and no one else, but I'd be lying to you if I told you that those two weren't HUGE parts of my quit. I have a hard time reading the Kern story and postings because it tears me up - I do it, I read them when it sucks the most - but I save it for when it does suck the most!

I guess the hardest part is thinking of my kids growing up without me - being hurt that I'm not there - crying because I hurt them and that I had hurt them by choosing an addiction to nicotine over them. My kids are too important to me than that - I love them SO much - I doubt I'm saying anything new to any father on this site, but... I would do irreparable damage to someone who hurt my kids. What's a little crave or some fog compared to that?

I'm at day 68, if this 'funk' this 'fog' is going to last until the HOF - or longer - fine, bring it. I will take it, I will beat it and I will look back and I will remember it well - fore I will not put that shit in my lip again, I will not hurt those two beautiful kids.

MAV
Welcome - head to the April Pre HOF Quit Group and post role - you have no idea how important that simple step will be/become to you - its your promise/your word to not dip. Do it every day and do it early, don't miss - once you've posted keep your word, if you're a man of your word your life just became simpler - not easier, but simpler.

Proud to quit with you! PM me if you need anything!
Quit Date: 11/06/10
HOF Date: 02/14/11
2nd Floor: 05/25/11
3rd Floor: 09/02/11
4th Floor: 12/12/11
5th Floor: 03/19/12
6th Floor: 06/27/12

Offline One2ManyCans

Finally decided its time
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
So today i was sitting here with my pregnant wife after we had put our 2 beautiful twins away and decided that im done. after thinking about it for over 6 months i have finally decided to commit and quit. Is there anything anyone would recommend to help me through these first couple of days and this first weekend as i am in the navy and most of my friends chew. im hoping with this kind of support as well as that of my family i can get rid of this habit and move on with a healthier happier future with my wife and kids.