Author Topic: day 1 starts tomorrow  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Skoal Monster

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: day 1 starts tomorrow
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
MileHigh,

There is nothing to be worried about, quitting can't kill you and you get to choose to be successful or to fail. Luck and hope don't have anything to do with it. This shit is easier than you think so don't psych yourself up.

Day one- Your going to have some cravings. They will last for an average of seven minutes apiece. You might have just a few or you may have a bunch. You can't hide from them or ignore em. Let yourself feel it for a second and acknowledge to yourself that your body is craving nicotine because your going thru withdrawl. Maybe you feel anxious or irritatable , you might feel buzzed in an odd way or even just plan foggy. Like trying to think thru velvet. Make a note of how it feels, then take a deep breath and let it go. Move on to something else.

The craves won't kill you I promise

It is entirely possible to quit dipping- I am 2 years quit coming off a 23 year habit averaging 2 cans a day... plus smokes. If I can do it so can you.

This is the price your going to have to pay to earn your freedom. Embrace it.

If you can flip the switch in your head that your done with that shit come hell or highwater, no matter what happens your quit is easy. You'll feel the physical effects of withdrawl but you can handle them with acceptance rather than going kicking and screaming. This is what we mean by embrace the suck. Feeling like crap for 72 hours is to be expected when your purging a poison from your body.

I don't know about you, but for my son I would go thru any level of hell to keep him from this path we have choosen for ourselves. A little temporary pain from quitting seems like a small price to pay doesn't it?

Some things that will help you tremendously

Read- The Tom and Jenny Kern Story- follow the link to the caring bridge site and read Jenny's journal, read the posts by Toms kids to a Dad that has been dead for 5 years. How they still miss him. Think hard about what this addiction of yours can inflict on your family. Then move on to the rest of the stories on here until you find something that you can hold onto.

Walk- when your craving or feel like your going to smash the bosses head in with a stapler take a walk. around the block or around the building doesn't matter. IF you have to do it 100 times a day for the first few days do it. The excercise will reduce the number of cravings dramatically and removing yourself from the source of the aggravation will help as well. If you can work out as wel all the better. I can't stress how much excercise can help you .

Blood sugar- keep it stable, sip on fruit juice during the day, dip has alot of sugar in it. If you have a sugar crash your going to crave. Keeping your blood sugar levels up with cranberry or pineapple juice will help you tremendously.

Caffiene- cut WAY back- nicotine makes it so you can handle more caffiene. Go easy. If your a pot a day guy it is going to hit you ALOT HARDER try cutting back for the next few days it'll help.

Sleep- maybe a little off for a few days- tylenol pm works wonders.

Post up- If you get in trouble go to chat and let em know your struggling. No shame in it, they have ALL been right where you are. You can post up here in your intro any thoughts or better yet post it in your group. Those guys are going thru the same thing as you right now.

Last- keep in mind that you have made a choice to leave that crap in the past. It was never your friend and you'll learn that soon enough. Your a junkie, like a heroin addict or a coke fiend. Your choice of drug just happens to be nicotine. The little addict in you will have a thousand reasons why you can have a dip, they are ALL lies. Chew isn't good for anything but keeping you addicted to chew.

You can do this, sing out when you need help were here and we get it.

sm
"CLOSE THE DOOR. In my opinion, it?s the single most important step in your final quit. There is one moment, THE moment, when you finally let go and surrender to the quit. After that moment, no temptation will be great enough, no lie persuasive enough to make you commit suicide by using tobacco."

Offline MileHiGuy

• Quitter
  • Interests: Denver Broncos baby! Running. My wife and three kids.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 12:29:00 AM »
Quote from: 3
26 years ago I started something stupid. Now I want to kick the habit. Scared? oh yeah! My old friend will be going away. it was there through the bad times, good times, stressful times and scarey times of my life. Now I want to make sure my son doesn't grow up thinking it's ok to chew. I 've been reducing the amount i chew for two days now until all my cans are empty. i am sitting here with my last pinch and ready to start the 1st full day without any chew. I've already had the beginnings of withdrawal, Headaches. Now what will come.? II am starting the first full day without chew on a Friday and I am worried about how the weekend will go. Oh man am i scared, I really wan to quit for good this time
Yeah I have three kids too. Chewed can a day for just shy 30 yrs. Red letter day when my 12 yr old son drank from one of my spitters. Just wait, keep the shit up and it will happen to you too.

Stop being a shitty role model to your son (like I was too) and quit right now. And no, the chew wasn't there for you. It didn't give you love support or encouragement. Only family and friends fill that role. It was just a drug and nothing more.

What's scary is thinking about explaining to your kids why you have cancer and wont be around to see them grow up. That scares the shit out of me - not worrying about the next dip...

Flush the last bit of that crap and quit. Now. Then post role. Everyday.
Quit Date - 2/28/11
"I want to go out with a smile on my face, not a dip in my lip"

Offline G

• Admin (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Quote from: Scowick65
Quote from: nmc
26 years ago I started something stupid. Now I want to kick the habit. Scared? oh yeah! My old friend will be going away. it was there through the bad times, good times, stressful times and scarey times of my life. Now I want to make sure my son doesn't grow up thinking it's ok to chew. I 've been reducing the amount i chew for two days now until all my cans are empty. i am sitting here with my last pinch and ready to start the 1st full day without any chew. I've already had the beginnings of withdrawal, Headaches. Now what will come.? II am starting the first full day without chew on a Friday and I am worried about how the weekend will go. Oh man am i scared, I really wan to quit for good this time
Why not toss it right now and make this day 1? Your old friend is helping you to slowly commit suicide. You never know if this is the dip that turns on the cancer cell. Do this quit for you and turn the fear into rage at getting addicted to something that would kill you. Get the crap out of your lip, flush the rest, grab the wheel tight and hold on for a wild ride.

Know this. Quitting is tough to start but it gets better fast......and the cravings won't kill you. The freedom is amazing.
Yes; It is 10:41 EST. Lets just knock this out. Quit, post roll day one. Wake up and post roll day 2. I love it. What are your thoughts 3 kids?
The can was always there because you were an addict and made sure it was there. I bet there were times you patted your pocket just to make sure your can was still there or opened your can to be sure you had enough to make it through the night, right? We all did. Because we are addicted to nicotine. It's no "habit" my friend.

If you truly want to quit, dump the shit right now and go post your day 1 of nicotine freedom. There is nothing more important this minute than this decision. Tomorrow will present a reason why you need to put off your quit, for example, stress at work, one last hunting trip with the can or my vagina hurts. There is no better time than right now. Today's the decision day.

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Quote from: nmc
Why not toss it right now and make this day 1? Your old friend is helping you to slowly commit suicide. You never know if this is the dip that turns on the cancer cell. Do this quit for you and turn the fear into rage at getting addicted to something that would kill you. Get the crap out of your lip, flush the rest, grab the wheel tight and hold on for a wild ride.

Know this. Quitting is tough to start but it gets better fast......and the cravings won't kill you. The freedom is amazing.
Yes; It is 10:41 EST. Lets just knock this out. Quit, post roll day one. Wake up and post roll day 2. I love it. What are your thoughts 3 kids?

Offline g mack

• Quitter
  • Interests: Married little over 21 years to the most wonderful woman, with a 20year old daughter which has been married a year now in july.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
good choice my friend you are at the right place to quit i diped for close to 30 yrs its not easy to lay down but it can be done get in here and read every thing you can post roll tomorrow morning get numbers from people in your group and some of the vets pm me if you want mine these are your life line so throw that shit away and we will see you in the morning
g mack

Offline nmc

• Epic Quitter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »

Offline Scowick65

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Wow. You sound just like all of us quiters.

This is a good start

A how to get started by Remy:

index.php?showtopic=1360

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quit Groups, What do they mean, by SOS

index.php?showtopic=88

Roll call, why we do it your word by LOOT.

index.php?showtopic=120

What to Expect when you quit.

http://www.killthecan.org/yourquit/what.asp

Symptoms of Quitting dip and chew

http://www.killthecan.org/yourquit/symptoms.asp

Contract to give up...

http://www.killthecan.org/facts/contract.asp

Smokeless alternatives

http://killthecan.org/yourquit/alternatives.asp

Words of Wisdom, Read them all

index.php?showforum=41

May 2008 TTFers

index.php?showtopic=1179

Read this group from the very first post to the very last post.

How to post roll.

index.php?showtopic=50

How to Post ROLL CALL - Roll Call Instructions
Step 1 - Find the last (MOST RECENT) Roll Call
Step 2 - Hit the "Quote" button in the upper right hand corner.
Step 3 - Click your mouse ANYWHERE in The bottom Box
Step 4 - Hit Ctrl and "A" at the Same time so it looks like THIS
Step 5 - Hit Ctrl and "X" at the same time so there is NOTHING in Either Box
Step 6 - Click your mouse in the TOP BOX
Step 7 - Hit Ctrl and "V" at the same time to Past the info into the top box AND ADD YOUR info to the bottom of the list
Step 8 - Hit ADD REPLY below the bottom box
Step 9 - Go back to the 1st unread post, check to see that the last few people to post are still on your roll call. Keep your word.

Offline 3 kids dad

day 1 starts tomorrow
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »