Author Topic: I need to quit, but don't want to  (Read 3533 times)

Offline CopeFiend

• Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 10/7/2008 5pm
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I need to quit, but don't want to
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
Quote from: _oz
So....... I will be here on Saturday or Sunday to begin my new life. You ask why wait and not stop now - because it's no better time than the present time! ...
What's wrong with these sentences, oz?

1) I'll be quitting on the weekend.
2) This will be my last can - I'll make it last until the weekend.
3) Quitting on the weekend is easier.
4) I don't want to quit.

They each set you up for the same failure you've experienced before. The failure to quit.

Here's what happens in each case:

1) You dip your head off until just before the weekend, but since you hit it a bit too hard, you need to buy one final "so long" can to get through Friday night. Then, you have some left on Saturday, and you say... "hmmm...can't waste it...and I really don't want to quit." 20 years pass
2) You try your hardest to stretch out your dips. But you are really jones'ing for your normal fatty frequency. In fact, the stress of it is making you want more than your usual. You succumb and buy a fresh can on Friday afternoon and dip it hard! And I mean hard! It's Sunday morning and you just can't imagine going to work quit, so you delay your quit until next weekend. 20 years pass
3) See #1 and #2 above. (and oh, by the way, 20 years pass)
4) 20 years pass.

And, if you're lucky enough for those 20 years to pass, what do you think your future self would have done differently? I don't need to iterate through the consequences of inaction on your part. You know what they are.

Take that fuckin' can and throw it in a dumpster TODAY.

Offline syndrome

• geezer squad
  • Master of Quit
  • you kids get off my yard
  • Quit Date: 11/13/08
  • Likes Given: 650
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
tomorow... tomorow... i love ya tomorow... your only a day away!

for all you guys just considerin a quit i done all reddy rote a shit ton bout tomorow.

bottom line - it never comes. nows the time. today.

Offline bigbamadan

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2010-03-23
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
If she is getting the hot coco from starbucks....those are really just as much as a can of grizz...or whatever skoal is the special of the week. Perhaps from a budget standpoint those drinks should be eliminated first.

Really oz, you need to reevaluate here. The way this post came across the only reason you want to quit is because it's draining your budget. Addicts have a funny way of adjusting priorites. I did. If it's just about the money...well then you will find something else to do without. Hell, there were points in my life I would have chosen dip over food and shelter if it would have come down to it.

You want to quit for real. Quit for you. Quit to better your life all together...well then you drop me a pm and I will be glad o help.

**edit, somehow I missed that "I will be back on Saturday or Sunday" whenever I fnish up this can bull shit. really??? I bet you blow a midget tranny for the $3.50 on Sunday...get serious or get the fuck out of here.
Quit: 3/23/10
All good things in all good time.

Offline Jeeper

• Quitter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Your title tells us everything we need to know. We are all here because we WANTED/WANT to quit.
We are here to stay quit and help others quit if they really want to quit.

Hopefully you will decide to quit for real before it is too late.
RIP - R.W.D June 15, 2010
RIP - Big Boy Nov 27, 2013

Quit Date: 5/18/2010
HOF Date: 8/25/2010
2nd Floor: 12/3/2010
3rd Floor: 3/13/2011
4th Floor: 6/21/2011
5th Floor: 9/29/2011
6th Floor: 1/7/2012
7th Floor: 4/16/2012
8th Floor: 7/25/2012
9th Floor:P 11/2/2012

Offline redtrain14

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: Family, hunting, fishing, running, mountain biking, swimming, building shit, and anything else that sounds like fun.
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
If you're quitting to save money, you're screwed.

You don't want to quit? This takes commitment, effort, accountibility and to be honest....blood, guts and nuts.

Come back when you have the later.

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Quote from: Parputt
But, I don't want to!
Then don't waste our time or yours. Come back when you are ready.
Go visit someone with stage 4 mouth/throat/brain cancer. Maybe you'll want to then. I know that they would give anything to go back 10 years and choose to quit.

Offline Parputt

• Quit King
  • Quit date: 1-13-2011
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
But, I don't want to!
Then don't waste our time or yours. Come back when you are ready.
QD:  1-13-11
HOF: 4-22-11
Sobriety date: 3-4-07

One is one too many
One more is never enough

This Is My Quit

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose ~ Dr. Seuss

Offline BTM99

• Quitter
  • Interests: St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis BluesGolfMizzou
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Quote from: TCOPE
A buddy of mine gave me this site - and I am glad he did.  My wife and I went through our budget this past weekend, and my habit (and her drinking hot chocolates) have been putting us over our income each month.  We have decided we both NEED to stop. 

But, I don't want to!

I read the top 100 reasons - and have to say there are about 30 to 35 that hit home.  Some are actually kind of funny when you think about how true they are;  "Dumping your spit cup out of your car as you are driving and having the spit sauce blow back up on your car" -- so true!

So here I am, hopefully starting something new ==== saving money and bettering my life.  I know it will be hard, but I quit smoking a few years ago cold turkey and it wasn't too bad (ya - I had a dip for the nicotine fix  'Crazy'  ). 

The bad thing, as #20 states "Digging for change all over the house and car to have enough money to buy a can", this just happened at work (change jar, truck and desk drawers).  I bought one last can.  I was having fits knowing my last would be my last - and I found all my loose change to get the very very very last (I have no more loose change). 

So.......  I will be here on Saturday or Sunday to begin my new life.  You ask why wait and not stop now - because it's no better time than the present time!  Well, as I mentioned above - I don't want to stop!  My wife doesn't mind - in fact she use to buy my rolls for me (she hated it - but it was cheaper across the state line by 10 bucks per roll).  I think it's a good move to introduce myself and say I will be quitting --- and then have to honor that (since I am a man of my word). 

I will see you all soon!
Bet this lasts a long time....
Let's set the over/under at 5 days. I'll take the under.

Offline TCOPE

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Quit King
    • The FOQers April 2019
  • Quit Date: 6 January 2009
  • Interests: Bicycles....Ultra Endurance Adventure Racing....Bicycles.....Guns and dopeBicycles.....Shoegaze distortion power pop punk hardcore....Bicycles.....
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
A buddy of mine gave me this site - and I am glad he did. My wife and I went through our budget this past weekend, and my habit (and her drinking hot chocolates) have been putting us over our income each month. We have decided we both NEED to stop.

But, I don't want to!

I read the top 100 reasons - and have to say there are about 30 to 35 that hit home. Some are actually kind of funny when you think about how true they are; "Dumping your spit cup out of your car as you are driving and having the spit sauce blow back up on your car" -- so true!

So here I am, hopefully starting something new ==== saving money and bettering my life. I know it will be hard, but I quit smoking a few years ago cold turkey and it wasn't too bad (ya - I had a dip for the nicotine fix 'Crazy' ).

The bad thing, as #20 states "Digging for change all over the house and car to have enough money to buy a can", this just happened at work (change jar, truck and desk drawers). I bought one last can. I was having fits knowing my last would be my last - and I found all my loose change to get the very very very last (I have no more loose change).

So....... I will be here on Saturday or Sunday to begin my new life. You ask why wait and not stop now - because it's no better time than the present time! Well, as I mentioned above - I don't want to stop! My wife doesn't mind - in fact she use to buy my rolls for me (she hated it - but it was cheaper across the state line by 10 bucks per roll). I think it's a good move to introduce myself and say I will be quitting --- and then have to honor that (since I am a man of my word).

I will see you all soon!
Bet this lasts a long time....
I don't do drugs…. I am drugs…

Offline _oz

• Quitter
I need to quit, but don't want to
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
A buddy of mine gave me this site - and I am glad he did. My wife and I went through our budget this past weekend, and my habit (and her drinking hot chocolates) have been putting us over our income each month. We have decided we both NEED to stop.

But, I don't want to!

I read the top 100 reasons - and have to say there are about 30 to 35 that hit home. Some are actually kind of funny when you think about how true they are; "Dumping your spit cup out of your car as you are driving and having the spit sauce blow back up on your car" -- so true!

So here I am, hopefully starting something new ==== saving money and bettering my life. I know it will be hard, but I quit smoking a few years ago cold turkey and it wasn't too bad (ya - I had a dip for the nicotine fix 'Crazy' ).

The bad thing, as #20 states "Digging for change all over the house and car to have enough money to buy a can", this just happened at work (change jar, truck and desk drawers). I bought one last can. I was having fits knowing my last would be my last - and I found all my loose change to get the very very very last (I have no more loose change).

So....... I will be here on Saturday or Sunday to begin my new life. You ask why wait and not stop now - because it's no better time than the present time! Well, as I mentioned above - I don't want to stop! My wife doesn't mind - in fact she use to buy my rolls for me (she hated it - but it was cheaper across the state line by 10 bucks per roll). I think it's a good move to introduce myself and say I will be quitting --- and then have to honor that (since I am a man of my word).

I will see you all soon!
QD - 5/13/11
1 day at a time!