Author Topic: Quitting  (Read 249 times)

Offline RDB

• Quit Spartan
  • Quit Pro
  • Quit Date 1/22/16
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Quitting
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
Quote from: curt38
Trying to quit before it becomes a big problem.
I'm not a medical professional, but no, I wouldn't worry. Every quit is different, and physical manifestations during quits vary.

Here's one way to think about it. While you've been dipping/smoking, your mouth and throat have been under constant assault by you, tobacco, and nicotine, plus the hundreds of other chemicals in tobacco. The nicotine has been acting as an analgesic that has stopped, to an extent, the pain associated with dipping and smoking. You are now giving your mouth and throat a chance to heal, and have taken away the drug that covered the pain. Drink lots of water. That will keep you hydrated as you heal, and also flush the nicotine out of your system.

This is a link to your February '18 quit group, and here and here are a couple pages about posting roll. Posting roll is the backbone of this site. If you want to be involved, and garner the support that comes with being part of this community, you have to post roll. It's the cost of admission to this otherwise free site. After a bit, the other guys in your quit group will become a group of brothers that you can lean on during your quit.

I want to challenge your thinking on two things.

1. Dipping and smoking are big problems. No, you've not been addicted for 20+ years, like I and so many others here have been. But you are addicted, and quitting is a bitch. You will need all the support you an get.

2. We don't TRY to quit. We QUIT. You are quit, and you will remain quit, one day at a time. Proper mindset is a critical part of a quit. If you are just trying, we'll see what we get here, buying a new tin is no big deal at all.

So, avoid all the old stores where you bought your tobacco. Use pay at the pump, and don't go into gas stations or convenience stores if you can help it. If you must enter a store, avoid all eye contact with the wall of death, at least early in your quit.

Proud to quit with you.

Offline curt38

• Quit Date: 2017-10-31
  • Likes Given: 0
Quitting
« on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Trying to quit before it becomes a big problem. Have dipped/smoked for 5 years now. 3 days into my quit today and I have read about what to expect, but still a little worried. I have read up on the "What to expect when you quit" and would agree with it, only difference is I have had a sore throat/dry mouth since day 1, and I was just wondering if this was super early and I should be concerned about it or what.