Author Topic: Better late than never!  (Read 1243 times)

Offline LaQuitter

• Quit Pro
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Better late than never!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Quote from: EOD
This is a little late but I needed to share how I started dipping.

Right now I am 14 days clean. So here's my story.

Hello and Thanks for your support and reading this. I have used dip for 32 years now. Ok no age jokes! LOL
So here's my background. I was 14 years EOD in the USAF. My first tour was in Panama. (Operation Just Cause). I was so wound up someone gave me a can of that little fluffy Kodiak bear and that’s where it began for me. After trying to quit off and on for 10 years I just gave up. This year I just started thinking about the good times I had in the Air Force and I got together with some old friends. The subject came up about how wound up I was and they asked if I still dipped. They couldn’t believe I still did. When I told them I tried to quit many times one of them said “your heart must not be in it because you have never let anything control you since I’ve known you.” That rang loud and clear in my brain. Since then I couldn’t get it out of my mind.
So last Saturday I woke up grabbed my little Kodiak Bear tin and stopped, looked at it and told it “YOU WILL NEVER CONTROL ME” and flushed it. I haven’t had any since. I started chewing 4mg gum but then I came across this website and a response to someone about using Nic-Gum. It made so much sense! How can you rid yourself of one evil or drug, when you are still using it just in another form. So I listened and figured if I was going to be successful I first needed to purge my system of what causes the addiction.
IÂ’m doing pretty good. The hardest part is the morning drive to work. I have found if I chew Trident Cinnamon gum it gets me over that morning hump. My wife is so happy right now she seems like a different person. She used to nag about it but then she quit, figuring I would never stop. I guess she felt it was useless. I didnÂ’t tell her I quit until about three days in to it. I guess I was scared I would fail again and fail her but then I got angry and that motivated me more. So things are good for now. I just keep telling myself the cravings will pass. So when they hit I keep thinking, Ok give it five minutes and it will be gone and it does.
If there is any insight you can give me to ensure my success that would be great. Right now the fear of failure is a big motivator. Failing my Wife, kids and myself. I canÂ’t quit thinking of how selfish IÂ’ve been to my family playing Russian roulette with my life every time I opened that can. Thank you for visiting my KTC little slice of home. 'blowup'
Congrats on the quit.

You're posting roll I see....that's great. It adds another layer of accountability, which will be a key to your success. Nearly every one of us here has quit for "family" before. And you'd think that quitting for the wife and/or kids would be enough.....but it's not.

For whatever reason, if a man has any moral fiber and integrity at all, posting roll and making that promise to stay quit for today to your brothers and sisters just works.

Involve yourself here as much as you can....ask questions, start conversations, reach out and support fellow quitters, feel free to kick some ass if a quitter is slipping....you get the idea.

Read all that you can......knowledge is power. Read the HOF speeches, WOWisdom, the intro pages, or go to an older group below the line and read it from the beginning. All of this will be a great road map for you in terms of what to expect in the coming days, weeks, months and years.

Hollar if you ever need. Stay strong, you will do this.

Scott
Quit: Saturday, May 2, 2009
HOF: Monday, August 10, 2009

La's HOF Speech

"Post roll like 8 pounds 6 ounces... new born infant jesus himself was telling you to do it" - Jaydisco

Offline EOD 1

• Quitter
  • I QUIT AND SO CAN YOU!!!
  • Quit Date: May-30-2015
  • Interests: Ham radio, Electronic, Shooting sports, Sports Car clubs, Home improvements,
  • Likes Given: 0
Better late than never!
« on: June 12, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
This is a little late but I needed to share how I started dipping.

Right now I am 14 days clean. So here's my story.

Hello and Thanks for your support and reading this. I have used dip for 32 years now. Ok no age jokes! LOL
So here's my background. I was 14 years EOD in the USAF. My first tour was in Panama. (Operation Just Cause). I was so wound up someone gave me a can of that little fluffy Kodiak bear and that’s where it began for me. After trying to quit off and on for 10 years I just gave up. This year I just started thinking about the good times I had in the Air Force and I got together with some old friends. The subject came up about how wound up I was and they asked if I still dipped. They couldn’t believe I still did. When I told them I tried to quit many times one of them said “your heart must not be in it because you have never let anything control you since I’ve known you.” That rang loud and clear in my brain. Since then I couldn’t get it out of my mind.
So last Saturday I woke up grabbed my little Kodiak Bear tin and stopped, looked at it and told it “YOU WILL NEVER CONTROL ME” and flushed it. I haven’t had any since. I started chewing 4mg gum but then I came across this website and a response to someone about using Nic-Gum. It made so much sense! How can you rid yourself of one evil or drug, when you are still using it just in another form. So I listened and figured if I was going to be successful I first needed to purge my system of what causes the addiction.
IÂ’m doing pretty good. The hardest part is the morning drive to work. I have found if I chew Trident Cinnamon gum it gets me over that morning hump. My wife is so happy right now she seems like a different person. She used to nag about it but then she quit, figuring I would never stop. I guess she felt it was useless. I didnÂ’t tell her I quit until about three days in to it. I guess I was scared I would fail again and fail her but then I got angry and that motivated me more. So things are good for now. I just keep telling myself the cravings will pass. So when they hit I keep thinking, Ok give it five minutes and it will be gone and it does.
If there is any insight you can give me to ensure my success that would be great. Right now the fear of failure is a big motivator. Failing my Wife, kids and myself. I canÂ’t quit thinking of how selfish IÂ’ve been to my family playing Russian roulette with my life every time I opened that can. Thank you for visiting my KTC little slice of home. 'blowup'
INITIAL SUCCESS OR TOTAL FAILURE!!!!!!!!!!!!
"It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first - Samurai Miyamoto Musashi 1584-1645 A.D.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining nearby."
HOF: 9/6/2015
2nd Floor: 12/15/2015