Author Topic: Day 6 quit, no turning back  (Read 21555 times)

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Day 6 quit, no turning back
« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
Quote from: pab1964
Quote from: Steakbomb18
Just passed the 4 year mark and I still continue to experience quit revelations that blow me away.

Last night, my wife and I had to endure one of our more difficult tribulations as a couple. Over the course of a 5-hour span we had to ride an emotional roller coaster that netted out to an emergency trip to the hospital and say our final good byes to my father-in-law. You know when you go through extreme personal instances like this, you usually keep your closest family and friends to the vest. Well, there's this text group I'm part of, a total of 5 quitters from KTC (myself included). They were with me as I trekked to the hospital following a huge snow storm. They were with me this morning when I broke the news that my father-in-law passed. Like family.

Quitting this nicotine addiction is such a big deal. When you let people become a part of your quit, it can truly create something as strong as a family bond. It starts with posting roll every day and then progresses as far as you let it. For me, I've been able to turn an 18-year addiction into a positive gain. There were others, outside this text group who also offered their support. And I'd have none of this if I didn't hold my promise to quit as close to the vest as I do my family.
Prayers to you and the family.
May God bless the Steak family in these difficult times. We are with you, brother.

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #350 on: January 05, 2018, 02:48:00 PM »
Just passed the 4 year mark and I still continue to experience quit revelations that blow me away.

Last night, my wife and I had to endure one of our more difficult tribulations as a couple. Over the course of a 5-hour span we had to ride an emotional roller coaster that netted out to an emergency trip to the hospital and say our final good byes to my father-in-law. You know when you go through extreme personal instances like this, you usually keep your closest family and friends to the vest. Well, there's this text group I'm part of, a total of 5 quitters from KTC (myself included). They were with me as I trekked to the hospital following a huge snow storm. They were with me this morning when I broke the news that my father-in-law passed. Like family.

Quitting this nicotine addiction is such a big deal. When you let people become a part of your quit, it can truly create something as strong as a family bond. It starts with posting roll every day and then progresses as far as you let it. For me, I've been able to turn an 18-year addiction into a positive gain. There were others, outside this text group who also offered their support. And I'd have none of this if I didn't hold my promise to quit as close to the vest as I do my family.
Prayers to you and the family.
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline Steakbomb18

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 12/13/2013
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #349 on: January 05, 2018, 02:46:00 PM »

Certified Grade A Badass

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #348 on: December 14, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
Quote from: ChristopherJ
Quote from: ChickDip
Quote from: Rawls
Quote from: worktowin
Congratulations on 4 years of bad ass quit!
Four years..... Bam!
You got the whole place smelling like quit.
Way Strong bud.
I quit with you today.
Rawls 1,121
Bring it on quitter! Badass my friend
Congrats Steak on your 4 year quit. ❤
I'm a little late, but Happy to add my congrats to a rock solid quitter on 4yrs!
Rock on dude!
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline ChristopherJ

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: Sept 17, 2014
  • Interests: Travel, music, sports, art,
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #347 on: December 13, 2017, 06:55:00 PM »
Quote from: ChickDip
Four years..... Bam!
Way Strong bud.
I quit with you today.
Rawls 1,121
I'm a little late, but Happy to add my congrats to a rock solid quitter on 4yrs!
Don't be afraid.  You are not alone.

Offline ChickDip

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • July 2015 Jackals
    • HOF speech
  • Quit Date: 3/30/2015
  • Interests: (July2015 Quit Group) ((7-07-2015 100 days)) ....Quit Day March 30.... Fish Slaying, Hunting, Camping, Hiking, Mtn Biking, Cooking, Sammich-making, Poker, movies, watching Pro Baseball, anything outdoors
  • Likes Given: 2042
« Reply #346 on: December 13, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Four years..... Bam!
Way Strong bud.
I quit with you today.
Rawls 1,121
July 2015 Jackals - House of WUPP
"....the load doesn't weigh me down at all, he ain't heavy he's my brother"
Try to believe that you are worth more than you think, and others are worth more than you think.
"If you haven't... Quit now......If you have... Stay that way " ~AppleJack
"Make It Through Today" WarE2013 (Rest Easy)
"I am quit... for today... with you... but not FOR you" ~LBP
"Endeavor to Persevere!" Lone Waite

my intro / my HOF speech / my comma club
Building a Strong Quit / My HOF Day

Offline pab1964

• Family
  • Master of Quit
  • Loving the quit life
  • Interests: God family crappie fishing
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #345 on: December 12, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
Four years..... Bam!
Way Strong bud.
I quit with you today.
Rawls 1,121
Tobacco is so addictive it took me a year after a massive heart attack, in which doctor confirmed caused from dipping to finally put a lid on the bitch! ODAAT EDD

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #344 on: December 12, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
Four years..... Bam!
Way Strong bud.
I quit with you today.
Rawls 1,121
I believe.....

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #343 on: December 12, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »

Offline Dagranger

• Quit Pro
  • Quit Date: 06-27-2013
  • Interests: I used to like playing any sport. Now I like coaching any sport. Hiking, camping, biking. I work out a lot but I hate it.
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »
Quote from: brettlees
Quote from: CavMan83
Quote from: JGlav
Quote from: Thumblewort
I've never written a speech here, no HOF, no Hall of Legend,...nothing. Reason being, every time I thought I had this all figured out, something slapped me in the face to make me realize I had more to learn. To this day, I continue to learn ...I learn from people in their first month of quit to those who have quit for 10 years or more. You can always take something from someone.

Anyhow, I had written this piece but never posted it. I wanted to post it in my intro, hopefully there's a nugget or two that offers some semblance of wisdom for a few quitters. Lord knows, I've taken my share of nuggets from them.

My Selfish Selfless Quit

4 years ago, at this time, I was approaching my pinnacle of desperation. A nagging sore throat for the past 3 months, stress, constant sinus pressure, and a wife who has given up on my addiction Â…nothing could give me any reprieve from reaching for that tin.

I donÂ’t know what it was one day, but after having parked my car in the parking garage and beginning my walk into the office, I not only threw out the fatty in my lip, but also the entire tin. IÂ’ve done this before, only to buy a new tin at lunchtime or on my way home. But, this time, I didnÂ’t. There was this wellness counselor at work that I started seeing for support. After the first 2 weeks, as usual, I failed miserably; and I felt like a complete douche telling her that I caved, Â…every day thus far. I didnÂ’t want to fail her again so on that day I tossed the tin. It was the last time. In hindsight, she gave me something I hadnÂ’t ever realizedÂ…accountability. It had been there all along with my wife, but, if I failed herÂ…nothing would happen; there were no repercussions. It was the counselorÂ’s disappointment that made it click for me.

Quitting must start as a self-indulgent endeavor. It will never work unless you want it for yourself first and foremost. We have all tried quitting for others, Â…people we love: family, wife, kids, etc. All noble reasons, but they never work. You have to want it for yourself before everything else. All of those people around you benefit from your quit. However, you can use them for fuel. Accountability. The counselor made me scratch the surface of accountability, but it wasnÂ’t until I met some of these faceless people on this website, that showed me the true definition of accountability. To think that there are people, most who you never meet, share a single purposeÂ…to help you save your life from the addiction of nicotine, every day is humbling to say the least. I owe it to them to stay quit; and they owe it to me. The fear, disgust, and pure shame of letting these people down have become unfathomable in my mind.

And now, my quit has evolved into both a selfish and selfless endeavor. Posting roll isnÂ’t just about me anymoreÂ…itÂ’s about something much bigger than me. And thatÂ’s what accountability has ultimately given me. A new life, free of nicotine, and full of people whom I wouldnÂ’t know if it werenÂ’t for my accountability to them. ItÂ’s a conditional relationship however. Break that accountability and I / we could lose everything. But, thatÂ’s not what I want. Because this is still my quit, and IÂ’m not losing anything.
Great words from a great friend and quitter.
Thank you Fred, those are great words!
Salty Strong....
Thank you sir.
Well said man. Well said!
With you EDD, sir. This is YOUR Quit, this is MY quit, and WE aren't losing anything!!! Echoing WTW....great words from an even greater quitter. Hope your Thanksgiving was blessed with family and friends!
Keep it going Steak! you have a lot to share in terms of helping others do it right! And that means success. Freedom!
Great message, IÂ’m proud to know you buddy. You are one of my main lines of defense for my own quit because I know if I caved, you would be one of the people who I couldnÂ’t avoid, and it would be personal. And I hope vice versa.

Offline brettlees

• Epic Quitter
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #341 on: November 26, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Quote from: CavMan83
I've never written a speech here, no HOF, no Hall of Legend,...nothing. Reason being, every time I thought I had this all figured out, something slapped me in the face to make me realize I had more to learn. To this day, I continue to learn ...I learn from people in their first month of quit to those who have quit for 10 years or more. You can always take something from someone.

Anyhow, I had written this piece but never posted it. I wanted to post it in my intro, hopefully there's a nugget or two that offers some semblance of wisdom for a few quitters. Lord knows, I've taken my share of nuggets from them.

My Selfish Selfless Quit

4 years ago, at this time, I was approaching my pinnacle of desperation. A nagging sore throat for the past 3 months, stress, constant sinus pressure, and a wife who has given up on my addiction Â…nothing could give me any reprieve from reaching for that tin.

I donÂ’t know what it was one day, but after having parked my car in the parking garage and beginning my walk into the office, I not only threw out the fatty in my lip, but also the entire tin. IÂ’ve done this before, only to buy a new tin at lunchtime or on my way home. But, this time, I didnÂ’t. There was this wellness counselor at work that I started seeing for support. After the first 2 weeks, as usual, I failed miserably; and I felt like a complete douche telling her that I caved, Â…every day thus far. I didnÂ’t want to fail her again so on that day I tossed the tin. It was the last time. In hindsight, she gave me something I hadnÂ’t ever realizedÂ…accountability. It had been there all along with my wife, but, if I failed herÂ…nothing would happen; there were no repercussions. It was the counselorÂ’s disappointment that made it click for me.

Quitting must start as a self-indulgent endeavor. It will never work unless you want it for yourself first and foremost. We have all tried quitting for others, Â…people we love: family, wife, kids, etc. All noble reasons, but they never work. You have to want it for yourself before everything else. All of those people around you benefit from your quit. However, you can use them for fuel. Accountability. The counselor made me scratch the surface of accountability, but it wasnÂ’t until I met some of these faceless people on this website, that showed me the true definition of accountability. To think that there are people, most who you never meet, share a single purposeÂ…to help you save your life from the addiction of nicotine, every day is humbling to say the least. I owe it to them to stay quit; and they owe it to me. The fear, disgust, and pure shame of letting these people down have become unfathomable in my mind.

And now, my quit has evolved into both a selfish and selfless endeavor. Posting roll isnÂ’t just about me anymoreÂ…itÂ’s about something much bigger than me. And thatÂ’s what accountability has ultimately given me. A new life, free of nicotine, and full of people whom I wouldnÂ’t know if it werenÂ’t for my accountability to them. ItÂ’s a conditional relationship however. Break that accountability and I / we could lose everything. But, thatÂ’s not what I want. Because this is still my quit, and IÂ’m not losing anything.
Salty Strong....
Thank you sir.
With you EDD, sir. This is YOUR Quit, this is MY quit, and WE aren't losing anything!!! Echoing WTW....great words from an even greater quitter. Hope your Thanksgiving was blessed with family and friends!
Keep it going Steak! you have a lot to share in terms of helping others do it right! And that means success. Freedom!
This info helped me early on, and still does today: https://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Quitters I’ve met so far: Ihatecope, >Pinched<, T-Cell, grizzlyhasclaws, Canvasback, BaseballPlayer, Cbird65, ERDVM, BradleyGuy, Ted, Zeno, AppleJack, Bronc, Knockout, MookieBlaylock, Rdad, 2mch2lv4, MN_Ben, Natro, Lippizaner, Amquash, ChristopherJ, GDubya, SRohde  -- always eager to meet more!

Offline CavMan83

• Quit King
  • Quit Date: 2014-06-10
  • Interests: Bass Fishing, music, all things motorsports, National Defense
« Reply #340 on: November 24, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »

My Selfish Selfless Quit

Salty Strong....
Thank you sir.

Offline JGlav

• Master of Quit
  • Interests: Quit Date: 9/05/15
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »

My Selfish Selfless Quit

Salty Strong....
Thank you sir.

Offline Rawls

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: Nov 18, 2014
  • Interests: I am a Christian. By grace through faith.....I asked God to show me the truth. And He did. I am a believer! Wife of 30 Years, Golf, Hunting, All sports...Romans 10:9-13
« Reply #338 on: November 18, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »

My Selfish Selfless Quit

Salty Strong....
Thank you sir.
I believe.....

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #337 on: November 18, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »

My Selfish Selfless Quit

Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.