Author Topic: Bkuruvila Quiting Today  (Read 391 times)

Offline Thumblewort

• Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-04-04
  • Interests: Steel Panther, Lions football, Deathmatch Wreslting, Ultra Violent horror movies, feeding the people in my basement pit.
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Bkuruvila Quiting Today
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
Ben, Welcome. Please keep in mind while we celebrate 100 days, it is just a number. I am at day 165, and I will worry about day 166 when I open my eyes tomorrow. Stay strong, and make some bonds with your December group.
Some of my fondest and clearest memories are peeing in places that aren't bathrooms.

Offline Sir Nopenhagen

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Date: 9-8-2014
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
Ben, welcome and congrats to the best thing you could ever do. Listen to these guys they know what the heck they are talking about. I too was a can or more of Copenhagen a day for over 20 yrs. I just finished day 7 of my quit and I am proud to quit with you today. If you need anything pm me anytime. See you on Roll.

Sir Nopenhagen

Offline Paddington

• Quitter
  • Interests: Hiking, shooting sports, mountain biking, motorcycles, computer games.
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
First off, you are in for a wild ride. Ben if this is what you want it will happen but its going to take some work. I have pretty much been awol for a few months. I actually came back in here today because I was dinking around on my phone at work and opened up "My Quit Tracker". It is for Iphone and Android. I am at 249 days. It worked for me as a great motivator, and on days like today when I am stuck in a chair and not out in the field I can look at it to remind myself why I am not chewing like the guy sitting next to me.

Get the app, get seeds, jolly ranchers, fake snuff (the smokey mountain was a god send, the stuff is so nasty that after a while you can't imagine stuffing your face full of it). Get your favorite soda pop, energy bars, ice cream. What ever it is. You can deal with getting off that stuff later, you are in it to fight this one demon right now.

I chewed for 5 years, and was up to 2 cans a day at my worst. I was a few attempts into quiting when I finally dedicated and got on this site. The biggest thing is the prep. If you are not prepped both mentally, emotionally and physically (all that substitute stuff makes it easier) it won't happen.

Offline Derk40

• Quit Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Welcome and great decision. Make sure you post roll first thing today! You can do this. Quit with you today.
Quit date: 6/23/2013
HOF Date: 9/30/2013

HOF Speech

Offline Black Hart

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 0201-09-10
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
WELCOME BEN! this is a kick ass place to be if you're quitting, this has made a night and day difference for me
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country- General Patton

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:05:00 AM »
Quote from: Bkuruvila
Hi my name is Ben and I am quitting today. I have chewed for about 20 years probably hitting a high of a can per day. Everyday without chew is a struggle. I think about it all the time. Need to make a life change for myself and my family. Have been keeping my addiction a secret for years and need to be honest with myself and my family. I am embarrassed that I am this addicted to such a nasty habit but I feel like Copenhagen is my favorite thing in life. This is a bit of a rant but for the first time I am truly going to try to kick this habit. Will need some support to get through this but 100 days here I come.
Hey Ben! Welcome!

I read your intro and kinda nodded and laughed. My first post on ktc was almost word for word like yours. I lied. I hid. I am an addict... That's what we do! I slso thought dip (in my case Kodiak) was my best friend... And that life would never be the same.

The last part is true. Life is insanely better in every level. It will take time to heal the damage nicotine has done, but I challenge you to read some intros of peeps that are 300 or more days in. Start at the beginning )first post) and then look at the progress. It is actually amazing to read these intros. They saved my life (not exaggerating) and the can change and save yours too.

Post roll. Keep your word. You can do this. My number is in your inbox. Kinda weird to text some dude on the internet? I thought so too 629 days ago...

Offline Grizzlyhasclaws

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Epic Quitter
  • Quit Date: 10/31/2013
  • Interests: Family, Baseball, basketball, sales, living to see my kids grow.
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
Welcome to freedom, Ben. Listen to these guys above. Stay very close to this site. Read and post every day. Success is yours if you want it. There is no "try", only "do". You will do this. I quit with you today.
Nicotine Quit Date:10/31/2013
Exercise Start Date: 6/29/2018

Offline Wt57

• Quit Pro
  • Interests: Gardening, Dutch Oven , playing with grand kids
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
Well Ben your not alone, I hid my addiction for over 40 years. Notice I said addiction because it's not a habit. As for Copenhagen being your favorite thing; it is what you had to have in order to keep the withdrawal away. This will suck but it does get easier with time. I support you because I've been where you are. My freedom is my favorite thing after my wife of 35 years, my kids and grandkids. I knew I was a slave to cope but I never really admitted how it took precedence over everything and everyone.
4/1/2012: Nicotine Quit Date
7/9/12: HOF The Missing Warning Label
TODAY is the day that counts
"Do, or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Offline mat849

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2014-08-22
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
Congratulations on making the choice to quit. Best decision you'll ever make. If yo do this right you'll make that same excellent decision every day.

Now you need to be sure you know that you are not just kicking a bad habit. You are fighting for your life against your addiction to nicotine. No different from any of the rest of us here. It is a hard fight and one that you fight every day.

That's how it's done around here. One day at a time. ODAAT. Read everything you can here. Drink lots of water. And reach out to those in your quit group for support. Pm me if you need more support digits.

Most importantly, I see that you already found your way over to December and posted roll. That is your promise not to use nicotine in any form today. Honor that promise today, wake up and make that promise again tomorrow, ODAAT.
Mat849
Quit date 08/22/14
HOF 11/29/14

Ragonk!

Offline 30yraddict

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Quit Feb 13, 2011
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
Welcome Ben! You are right smack in the middle of what we call the suck... It doesn't last forever.. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't last long at all. Remember how bad it sucked.. and know that after this one final withdrawal you don't ever have to experience it again. There is a light on the other side right around the corner.

Freedom is awesome- you can do this

Offline bkuruvila

• Quitter
Bkuruvila Quiting Today
« on: September 13, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Hi my name is Ben and I am quitting today. I have chewed for about 20 years probably hitting a high of a can per day. Everyday without chew is a struggle. I think about it all the time. Need to make a life change for myself and my family. Have been keeping my addiction a secret for years and need to be honest with myself and my family. I am embarrassed that I am this addicted to such a nasty habit but I feel like Copenhagen is my favorite thing in life. This is a bit of a rant but for the first time I am truly going to try to kick this habit. Will need some support to get through this but 100 days here I come.