Author Topic: Struggling to continue  (Read 14460 times)

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Struggling to continue
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2018, 07:05:00 PM »
Double WUPP time for 200, proud to be quit wit u

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
  • Interests: Family, fishing, football, friends and being quitI love my wife and two daughters. I'm not perfect but strive every day to be better.
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
Quote from: BBQchips
Quote from: JGromo
This journey of quitting has taught me a pretty important new skill...the ability to handle extreme discomfort. I am all about not getting comfortable now. Personal growth comes from your ability to handle uncomfortable situations and feelings and thoughts. Since I quit, since I went through some mental issues, I still have anxiety, I still have depression but I handle them differently, they are secondary feelings and I've still got bad days. but the good outnumber them 5 to 1 easily and even on the bad days its mostly just a couple bad moments, a couple bad hours. I don't focus on it anymore. I don't let one bad hour ruin my whole day. One bad day ruin my whole week. Shit happens, deal with it and move on. Since I started on this site, I've quit nicotine, obviously, I've quit drinking, I've had my brothers guide me through some of the shittiest days of my life. I'm 177 days quit of nic and 59 days quit of alcohol, my life has literally never been better. I feel great, I'm taking suppliments for the anxiety and depression and have my medication still. I'm going back to school for the first time in nearly a decade. As soon as I put myself out there I got a LOT of job opportunities coming up, there is no rut anymore. Why would I waste my life doing this when I can enjoy it doing something else, why put myself in a job thats going to give me financial stress when I can make significantly more and be happier somewhere else? I was putting so much time and effort into complaining about being miserable for the last few years that I didn't realize I could put that same time and effort into making myself happy. Handle your uncomfortable situations and your life will get 1000x better. You ignore them they're just gonna get worse, you let them control you you're gonna end up being more miserable than if you'd have just sacked up and gotten uncomfortable for a few minutes, hours, days, months, years. Whatever it takes.
Thanks for putting all of this out on KTC. ODAAT right now with the Nic addiction, but I appreciate all the stuff that goes along with exposing one addiction that rears it head on you. Only 2 weeks in on chew but good to know others have found ways to improve on stuff outside of kicking nicotine and re-shifting focus to positive things.

Proud to quit with you today and good luck with the improvement.
We are all connected BBQ!

Offline BBQchips

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quitting MoFo
  • Slather on the quit sauce
  • Quit Date: June 28, 2018
  • Interests: Family, Fishing, skiing, hockey, reading, video games
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »
This journey of quitting has taught me a pretty important new skill...the ability to handle extreme discomfort. I am all about not getting comfortable now. Personal growth comes from your ability to handle uncomfortable situations and feelings and thoughts. Since I quit, since I went through some mental issues, I still have anxiety, I still have depression but I handle them differently, they are secondary feelings and I've still got bad days. but the good outnumber them 5 to 1 easily and even on the bad days its mostly just a couple bad moments, a couple bad hours. I don't focus on it anymore. I don't let one bad hour ruin my whole day. One bad day ruin my whole week. Shit happens, deal with it and move on. Since I started on this site, I've quit nicotine, obviously, I've quit drinking, I've had my brothers guide me through some of the shittiest days of my life. I'm 177 days quit of nic and 59 days quit of alcohol, my life has literally never been better. I feel great, I'm taking suppliments for the anxiety and depression and have my medication still. I'm going back to school for the first time in nearly a decade. As soon as I put myself out there I got a LOT of job opportunities coming up, there is no rut anymore. Why would I waste my life doing this when I can enjoy it doing something else, why put myself in a job thats going to give me financial stress when I can make significantly more and be happier somewhere else? I was putting so much time and effort into complaining about being miserable for the last few years that I didn't realize I could put that same time and effort into making myself happy. Handle your uncomfortable situations and your life will get 1000x better. You ignore them they're just gonna get worse, you let them control you you're gonna end up being more miserable than if you'd have just sacked up and gotten uncomfortable for a few minutes, hours, days, months, years. Whatever it takes.
Thanks for putting all of this out on KTC. ODAAT right now with the Nic addiction, but I appreciate all the stuff that goes along with exposing one addiction that rears it head on you. Only 2 weeks in on chew but good to know others have found ways to improve on stuff outside of kicking nicotine and re-shifting focus to positive things.

Proud to quit with you today and good luck with the improvement.
“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills."

HOF Speech -A lot has happened

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
  • Quit Date: 2018-01-16
  • Interests: I'm James I like Football, Baseball, Rock Concerts, Fixing up my house/yard, Hunting, Drinking high quality whiskey and wine, writing and of course spending time with my wife.
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »
You boys make me proud on the booze quit. Nice work.

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #116 on: June 24, 2018, 09:46:00 PM »
Quote from: Athan
Quote from: worktowin
".....It's just one, but that just one just turned into just 5 in the last week alone."

Never had a drink in my entire life, not ever. Usually 12 or so but never have I had 'a' drink. 4 weeks sober and counting. Counting with you.
2 winners right here. Life is good when you are free.
Life is good when you've got WorktoWin in your back pocket. Scuuuuuuse me while I whip this out!....
Mongo only pawn in the game of life.

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
  • Interests: I'm James I like Football, Baseball, Rock Concerts, Fixing up my house/yard, Hunting, Drinking high quality whiskey and wine, writing and of course spending time with my wife.
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »
One of those days when you just wanna punch the idiot in front of you get the fuck out of here. I'm so fried with stupidity right now. I need a vacation lol.

So tempting. Sell the house, sell the cars, grab the wife, hop on a plane, Move to Ireland or Italy. I just need a change, I need a strong drink in an Irish Pub, or a glass of wine off a Tuscan Villa. Fuck this store, fuck this town, fuck this county and fuck this state. I'd say fuck this country but some of your states might be alright even though the climate probably sucks. I just need this climate without these cunts.

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1669
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
Quote from: worktowin
".....It's just one, but that just one just turned into just 5 in the last week alone."

Never had a drink in my entire life, not ever. Usually 12 or so but never have I had 'a' drink. 4 weeks sober and counting. Counting with you.
Life is good when you've got WorktoWin in your back pocket. Scuuuuuuse me while I whip this out!....
"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
  • Interests: GymWorkTravel
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2018, 02:14:00 PM »

Offline Athan

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Master of Quit
  • Addict
  • Quit Date: January 1 2018
  • Interests: GodFamilyCountry
  • Likes Given: 1669
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

"I hope you find a thousand reasons to quit today" Rawls
"I can't quit for you. I will quit with you" Ready
"There are two dogs in the fight, which one are you feeding?" SuperDave9000
"In the Navy we had morning muster. You never miss muster. You better be dead if you miss. If you are dying, you should have started crawling earlier, no excuse." Olcpo

The Science of Addiction
The Law of Addiction
The Road Called Recovery
My Intro and HOF Speech
Quitters I've met: Cbird, UncleRico, Gregor, KDip, Broccoli-saurus, Croakenhagen, BriagG, Koba, Kodiakdeath, Arrakisdq, McDave, Worktowin, SkolVikings, JGromo, GS9502, PaDutchman, Stillbrewing, A-Aron...
wildirish317
outdoortexan cancer

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
(No Drinking Journal)Day 19....Tested my alcohol quit last night, went to the barber that I've been avoiding because I didn't wanna be tempted with that free beer (Reason I quit...yeah it was fuckin with me mentally but mostly I need to lose weight, and I can't keep going in debt for booze) But I was starting to look a little taliban-ish so I shaved the pubes off my face and went in for a cut. Went smoothly, then I decided to really fuck with myself and go to a sports bar to watch the warriors game. They had my bar drink of choice, Jamo Ginger, on special for 4$ each. God damnit that was hard to pass up. Made it through the game and feel good today. No hangover, No expensive bar tab...well it was kind of expensive cause Mattie was drinking a little and we kept getting a bunch of app's for like the 4 hours we were there, but significantly cheaper than if I'd have drunk, I got to drive didn't have to drop a 20 for a lyft. I would love to have just one but where does that just one lead us? Even for booze. I might be able to stop at just one...but how do I justify when the just one is? I mean we broke out a bottle of the wedding red we made and bought a current version of the wedding white for eating our cake on Saturday, that's justified as just one right? and I mean I gotta have one of each. They're our wedding wines right? And then on Sunday we had a BBQ at Mattie's cousin's house and I was offered a glass of high end scotch and I can't turn down scotch right? I mean it's just one. And then Monday I sure as hell wanted to try my dad's Chardonnay he made, he's never made one before so of course I wanted to taste it and let him know what I thought about it. Yesterday I could have the free beer I mean I pay for it anyway in the cost of the barber shop visit. It's just one, but that just one just turned into just 5 in the last week alone. And realistically if I'd have let myself have that just one, will I really stop at one? Do I trust myself to? I feel fucking great why would I throw that away for just one drink. I still have hope. But until I'm out of CC debt and my weight is healthy, I will not drink. I will no longer lose 3 lbs during the week just to gain it back on saturday night. I am done financing my alcoholism. Paying interest on shots, how stupid can I get? How much of my CC debt wouldn't be there if we didn't go wine tasting? Or didn't have those 14$ cocktail's with dinner? Brewery hopping at 7$ a beer? Going to the club and racking up a 150$ tab to get sloshed and make a fool of myself? How much of my gut wouldn't be here if I hadn't had those extra 700 calories with dinner here and 2500 calories at the bar there and that little 900 calorie snack of wine just because we were watching a movie we rented? I need to not drink.
James, this post made my day. You, sir, get this process and how this place works.

Keep winning. One day at a time.

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
(No Drinking Journal)Day 19....Tested my alcohol quit last night, went to the barber that I've been avoiding because I didn't wanna be tempted with that free beer (Reason I quit...yeah it was fuckin with me mentally but mostly I need to lose weight, and I can't keep going in debt for booze) But I was starting to look a little taliban-ish so I shaved the pubes off my face and went in for a cut. Went smoothly, then I decided to really fuck with myself and go to a sports bar to watch the warriors game. They had my bar drink of choice, Jamo Ginger, on special for 4$ each. God damnit that was hard to pass up. Made it through the game and feel good today. No hangover, No expensive bar tab...well it was kind of expensive cause Mattie was drinking a little and we kept getting a bunch of app's for like the 4 hours we were there, but significantly cheaper than if I'd have drunk, I got to drive didn't have to drop a 20 for a lyft. I would love to have just one but where does that just one lead us? Even for booze. I might be able to stop at just one...but how do I justify when the just one is? I mean we broke out a bottle of the wedding red we made and bought a current version of the wedding white for eating our cake on Saturday, that's justified as just one right? and I mean I gotta have one of each. They're our wedding wines right? And then on Sunday we had a BBQ at Mattie's cousin's house and I was offered a glass of high end scotch and I can't turn down scotch right? I mean it's just one. And then Monday I sure as hell wanted to try my dad's Chardonnay he made, he's never made one before so of course I wanted to taste it and let him know what I thought about it. Yesterday I could have the free beer I mean I pay for it anyway in the cost of the barber shop visit. It's just one, but that just one just turned into just 5 in the last week alone. And realistically if I'd have let myself have that just one, will I really stop at one? Do I trust myself to? I feel fucking great why would I throw that away for just one drink. I still have hope. But until I'm out of CC debt and my weight is healthy, I will not drink. I will no longer lose 3 lbs during the week just to gain it back on saturday night. I am done financing my alcoholism. Paying interest on shots, how stupid can I get? How much of my CC debt wouldn't be there if we didn't go wine tasting? Or didn't have those 14$ cocktail's with dinner? Brewery hopping at 7$ a beer? Going to the club and racking up a 150$ tab to get sloshed and make a fool of myself? How much of my gut wouldn't be here if I hadn't had those extra 700 calories with dinner here and 2500 calories at the bar there and that little 900 calorie snack of wine just because we were watching a movie we rented? I need to not drink.

Offline Gromo

• Quitter
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
I've only been completely sober for a little over a week, no dip (Obviousely) No alcohol, no weed, no psilocybin...overdid the nyquil a bit on saturday night to be completely honest so not 100% sober...

I'm over my cold so now I can kind of get a better feel for how I'm doing and I tell you I feel fucking Phenomenal. I'm not overstating here no depression no lack of motivation no anxiety. I've found kind of a zen place I can go in my head when the dark thoughts come. I feel fucking great. I've lost 10 lbs without trying, I don't want to eat bad. Me and my wife had a bad day last week and it put me in a dark spot for a good few hours but I believe it truly helped us grow as a couple. And helped me further try to help myself by forcing me to go back to therapy.

It truly gets better. It might not be amazing all of the time...but it gets better. and today is evidence. I just wanted to post this incase future me decides its getting too tough or is going through some shit.

Offline Doofus

• Hall of Fame Conductor
  • Quit Pro
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2018, 04:08:00 PM »
I've limited myself to 2 drinks per occasion since Easter....grand total of 4 drinks since then......thought I'd abstain completely but it was not necessary.....it has strengthened my quit and helped my health goals.....I'm enjoying it just like my ever growing nicotine quit resolve....try putting a restrictor plate on imbibing if it's not a problem......if it's a problem then it has to be treated like nicotine addiction.

Offline worktowin

• Moderator (Retired)
  • Master of Quit
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »
Alcohol is not helping me. It is negating the effectiveness of my meds, it is a depressant and it is not for me right now. I still give myself the hope of "Maybe once I've got my mental shit under order" and I hope that's the case. I've never viewed myself as an alcoholic but I do have alcoholic tendencies. I've known I needed to stop drinking for two months now and I keep saying "Well I can't quit because of my birthday, because of my collection of wine and whiskey, because of my anniversary wine, because of our ireland trip coming up next year!" Why does an ireland trip a year and a half away mean I can drink on Saturday? Or tonight at the wednesday night market? How do those correlate? I KNOW I should not drink right now. I know I should not drink until my brain is right. the Ireland trip will be its own problem next october. Will I cave and drink? I dunno, probably cause thats kind of the whole reason we were going there was to try all the whiskey and beer...But. That does not mean I can drink tomorrow. that doesn't give me an excuse to crack open a bottle right now. I LOVE whiskey, I love wine..that doesn't mean I need to get sloshed, that doesn't mean that if I don't drink for a year my alcohol will suddenly go bad...Maybe my white wine's but those are pretty fuckin cheap anyway and I'm sure they'll be fine. Moral of the story is its just another One Day At A Time.
James, it is an honor to quit with you.

Alcohol isn't helping you. Alcohol is hurting you. It is making things worse... stay away from it for a while. If you can't have one or two and stop... this is not a relationship you want to foster. Your relationships, your life, are worth more than a glass of Black Box (haha.) Seriously, look at what you have to lose and then ask... is this really worth it? It isn't.

I'm always here, brother. This struggle is hard. Winning is sweet.